Looking to buy a new computer, and i need your help!

preshjax

So let me introduce myself. My name is Murkesh Falcon the Merciless, a level 28 Bounty Hunter Mercenary, and I've played this game going on 4 weeks now.

I've realized that my current computer won't run this game very well at all, mostly due to it being 3-4 years old.

So, I just want to buy a new computer, not build one, that can max out SWTOR with no problems.

I just need some ideas concerning where to start looking, and whats good and whats bad in a computer.

Thank you in advance! :D

Edited by preshjax

So let me introduce myself. My name is Murkesh Falcon the Merciless, a level 28 Bounty Hunter Mercenary, and I've played this game going on 4 weeks now.

I've realized that my current computer won't run this game very well at all, mostly due to it being 3-4 years old.

So, I just want to buy a new computer, not build one, that can max out SWTOR with no problems.

I just need some ideas concerning where to start looking, and whats good and whats bad in a computer.

Thank you in advance! :D

I am not sure whether advertisement for brands is allowed here in the forums, but I am quite content with my Dell XPS 8500 I bought end of January. This variant got an nVidia GeForce GTX 660, an intel Core i7-3770 processor and I can run SW:TOR on the highest preset (haven't tried to tweak in advanced options) with the full framerate of 60/s my screen can display on 1080p. I once disable vsync and got 150 frames/s. The computer is very silent, there is a low steady humming coming from it, but it never gets any louder and isn't remotely as disturbing as my regrigerator in the other room when it activates its compressor, even though I do feel a steady air stream. The quality of the case and the design of the air stream is pretty convincing.

Windows 8 takes some getting used to. But once you delete all the blinking crap from the metro surface and put your normal icons you'd normally have in your start menu or on your desktop on it, it's acceptable. (I.e. it's still a bad idea, but it doesn't hinder you particularly.)

A bit strange is they keyboard that shipped with it. It has normal German 105 key layout, but it does not have a Numlock key but a "CE" key in its stead - I don't even know what it's good for. It has an extra key for stand-by mode and 6 keys to control media players. It's a flat keyboard with with little bridges between the keys, aka Apple- or Notebook computer style, even though its width is normal. You don't have to use it of course.

SW:TOR never crashed yet (except for the well known bugs in Black Talon/Esseles), but there seems to be a problem with going to hibernate or rebooting. The computer hangs up pretty often on shutting down, while it does run completely stable otherwise.

It does not have an SSD and Dell does not offer SSDs instead of the primary 2TB 7200/min hard drive, but only in addition to it, and that's quite expensive. However, I have not experienced hard disk lag in SW:TOR yet with this computer.

As for Dell's support I can't say, I didn't contact it yet. I've heard pretty wild stories about it when it comes to private customers. In my company we had never problems with the support for Dell network components we use.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

Pick out your parts and have a local computer shop put them together for you. Honestly a prebuilt isn't likely to get you what you want. If you're not sure what to pick for parts, head to your local computer store(read: Microcenter) anyway and look for the scrawny younger employees prowling the hardware sections. Sooner or later you'll find one who's genuinely enthusiastic about helping you build an awesome rig for a good price and they'll point you to the correct hardware.

I can't see your cart.... and I would find a bit exaggerated to buy such an expensive computer on single one suggestion in a public internet forum. :) It would be wise to at least explore the other alternatives.

Get a pre-built custom one with a 560 Ti or 660 Ti card or better and it will run Swtor and everything els. That advice is based on the assumption that the people pre-building the computer know what they're doing and the rest of the components in the computer are on par with the performance of the gfx card. Not that there's anything wrong with Dell's high-end computers, they're using the same components as everyone els but as soon as they put Dell or Alienware on the cover you have to pay $500-$1000 extra. For instance, my GTX680 in sli computer was $500 cheaper than a computer I saw from Dell and Dell's version had only one gfx card and worse components. Edited by MidichIorian

This i what i use,

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AME600-UR368-Desktop-Black/dp/B009B8E9ZY/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1363791562&sr=8-8&keywords=acer+desktop

it worked fine out of the box but iadded a 128 ssd and filled the two empty slots with memory. Good video card. less than $600. I have two, one for mine and one for my sons account. monitor not included

Edited by capsales
link not there

This is under 1500 , all parts from newegg. You can drop to lower or higher end, but just a quick look to help you. Also, since this seems like it would be your first build, have fun with it. And no, its not hard to do it yourself =)

RAIDMAX Vampire ATX-001WBTi Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case 129$

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M2 RS720-SPM2D3-US 720W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply 129$

SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) 239$

(you can go with more space, but for avg. needs, 256 is fine)

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD4H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS 171$

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K 319$

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B 64$

EVGA SSC 02G-P4-3653-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card 179$

SAMSUNG DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA Model SH-224BB - OEM 18$

total=1250$

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=gaming+pcs

Many of those are decent enough to run SWTOR well. They're not the latest and greatest, mind you, but they won't break the bank and they'll get shipped to you more quickly than if you customized your own through a company.

This is beastly and just within your budget if you have Amazon Prime or Amazon Student (free shipping). Prime is worth it if you don't have it already anyway. http://www.amazon.com/Microtel-Computer%C2%AE-AMTI9031-Processor-Microsoft/dp/B004AH9W8A/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1363799030&sr=1-2&keywords=AMTI9098

Edited by Supervillainess