PT vs Sage - sage lose why?

WIZBASKY

it's a stupid titel but need to ask a question

why is it than most classes i come up against the damage is predictable and steady for the most part, even smash monkeys are predictable in the damage they deal and how long it will take.

But when a pyro PT attacks me it seems all over in seconds

aPlease help me understand, really as i do not knwo what they are doing to me

all I see if a flame thrower and 1/2 my life disapear in 1 second, what exactly did they do to me.

Edited by WIZBASKY

why is it than most classes i come up against the damage is predictable and steady for the most part, even smash monkeys are predictable in the damage they deal and how long it will take.

all I see if a flame thrower and 1/2 my life disapear in 1 second, what exactly did they do to me.

Well, they load you up with things that go boom*, and when they do, you do too. But not only that their railshot ignores quite a large proportion of armour, which for a sage isn't much to begin with. And lastly, unlike a sage's DoTs, the CGC dot from a pyro powertech actually hurts.

*thermal detonator, incendiary missile and then they use rocket punch or spam flame burst to proc the free rail shot. Flame thrower btw, is more likely an advanced prototype powertech.

Edited by Chemic_al

Flame thrower btw, is more likely an advanced prototype powertech.

Expect OP is referring to Flame Burst.

As was mentioned, the PT is probably loading you up with stuff that all hit in a short period. They have horrible burst damage.

Most of their abilities are 10m ranged though, so if you can keep them further away than that, you'll do better. If they get closer, get the hell away from them.

If you stay greater than 10m away, you are going to auto win

Powertechs are likely Backloading their damage on you, Spending a GCD on Explosive Dart, and another on Thermal Detonator, and maybe even one before those with Incindary Missile.

What you consider 'instant blowup' is actually the Powertech has been attacking for a while before you noticed.

When you see one, just get away, bubbles, Dots, Zap, stun, heal, Knockback, whatever. If the talent is with you, you should have it easy with Powertechs.

Pyro has a few delayed attacks, this way the damage stacks for incredible burst all at once. You don't get initially damage, but you hear the bomb ticking on you, then when it explodes, you eat a railshot as well at the same time.

Yeah I love it when they try that on me when I PVP, and I pop my Shield Probe to absorb all their damage and then I get to kill them, or at least get them half way before a friend (or 2) comes to help them kill me.

In a duel you should have quite a good chance to beat PTs

But in a WZ things can get hectic and if they get you to 40% with a thermal on then rail shot you its pretty much all over.

As soon as you hear that tic tic tic from thermal detonator you need to stun that PT and force speed away, lol

Face tanking a good PT is never an option

Edit - after you pop force speed purge yourself, they can't railshot you without burn i'm pretty sure (healer only)

Edited by Mookind

Yeah I love it when they try that on me when I PVP, and I pop my Shield Probe to absorb all their damage and then I get to kill them, or at least get them half way before a friend (or 2) comes to help them kill me.

Shield Probe help, but not that much. It is a flat amount of absorb that will be blown whenever you popped it, before the burst or during their burst. Timiming has nothing to do. And there is no way that you'll absorb "all their damage", Shield Probe is too weak when comparing to the two detonators plus Railshot.

The only people who can claim to be able to negate it all are Shadows and Assassins who can remove the DoTs, making the detonators inefficient and making Railshot unavaliable.

If you can keep your distance from a PT you'll easily win, they have very few long ranged attacks now, and the ones that they do are pretty poor damage. They key to winning fights with Sage/Sorc also is kiting and healing, hell it's a sloppy way to win, but it works.

Nothing to say that hasn't already been said. If you are one of those filthy bubble-stunners, though, you might want to stick around to pop the bubble before Force Speeding away. Most PTs know to keep their distance to avoid bubblestun, but you can mess with them by moving closer/not running away so soon.

If you're not one of those filthy bubblestunners, root them, then run away. You don't even have to Force Speed.

The problem in warzones is that they will get two close-combat time-frames during which they will pretty much kill us.

1. When they initially attack. Usually when we are occupied with something els. That's +6K right there.

2. When they are using their gap closer + stun/cc.

A third factor is that we usually are occupied with something els, meaning that we have stuff on CD. There's little we can do in that situation and we don't have the burst to make up for their damage.

Edited by MidichIorian

Distance distance distance... Kite them and you'll win. A pvp spec'ed one has a single 45second pull (unless spec'ed into it) therefore you shouldn't have much trouble kiting and slowly burning them down. They are practically a mellee class without the closer. Treat them as such and you'll win.

Weren't sages designed to be a dps support class? i think the term i am emphasizing there is "support" I would of thought that speaks wonders.

Thats the problem. Sorc/sage is thought of as a support class, but the lack decent enough support to justify bringing them in a group. On the other hand people think sorc/sage is a glass cannon, but it lacks the burst to fit that category. So in reality it fits into neither category.

Its not like powertechs don't bring support too, they have pulls and taunts which are both very useful in a rated group.

A third factor is that we usually are occupied with something els, meaning that we have stuff on CD. There's little we can do in that situation and we don't have the burst to make up for their damage.

This is an issue with every ranged class. It's why ranged classes in this game are not effective. Far to easy to close range when in a 6v6 furball situation. The one ranged class that does well, Sniper/Gunslinger, is endowed with a plethora a roots, stuns and snares. And now rolls. Lulz.

3|7|31 Sage usually will bet a powertech. And will almost always beat a PT if there is LOS available. But to be fair, that build rapes most classes 1v1 with LOS.

I lose to very few powertechs 1v1 in warzones with that build. 9sec root + force run + dots = win. LOS just helps widen the win gap.

....UNLESS you're talking about powertech vs sage on the PTS right now. I haven't tested that.

Edited by SOULCASTER

3|7|31 Sage usually will bet a powertech. And will almost always beat a PT if there is LOS available. But to be fair, that build rapes most classes 1v1 with LOS.

I lose to very few powertechs 1v1 in warzones with that build. 9sec root + force run + dots = win. LOS just helps widen the win gap.

....UNLESS you're talking about powertech vs sage on the PTS right now. I haven't tested that.

Creeping Terror has a chance to be resisted now (in patch 2.0)

The madness/balance sorcerer/sage is no good anymore. You don't have reliable kiting tools.

Edited by Yeochins

Creeping Terror has a chance to be resisted now (in patch 2.0)

The madness/balance sorcerer/sage is no good anymore. You don't have reliable kiting tools.

So that's resist on CT, no insta-whirlwind and not enough damage boost to make up for all the extra HP people have at 55.

Oh and -5 % armor.

Makes me wonder if they've ever played the class. *********** sickening how clueless they are.

Sages have the most trouble with Powertech/vanguard since they can't cleanse the burn (sages can't cleanse tech dot (powertech burn, gs bleed, corrosive acid, etc)). Rail shot has a range of 30m, so if u have the burn on you, you really need to run away from them. However, they cannot put the burn on you if you were never at 10m range to begin with. Most sages I encounter think play sage like it's a mdps class, which is why my actual mdps class destroys the sage less than 10 sec... Good sorcs/sages always watch their distance and can be EXTREMELY annoying to kill but those are pretty rare. All i got say is that it's a L2P issue but sage dps is just really hard to play due to the discipline (controlling your urge to force speed into a grp and using force wave, making you stuck within a grp of mdps, resulting in the sage/sorc getting face rolled) required.

My Assault Vanguard (PT mirror) burst rotation:

Sticky grenade (~2k) > Assault Plastique (~4k crit) > Incendiary Round > High Impact Bolt (4k crit)

The 2 grenades have timer on them. So they both go off and the HiB lands at the same time. You are actually being hit with 3 abilities all at once. Followed by a Stock Strike and another HiB it can finish off anyone pretty quickly.