Would you like to see a Droid class?

VioletZero

Nooo. I replied to it. I said I don't agree with anything involving putting a human brain in a droid. It accomplishes the same story arc by having someones memories and behavior transferred off of a large data repository. Either that or just a droid that hasn't been wiped in a few hundred years.

You can accomplish the same, or more of your goals with either two of those arc possibilities in my opinion. The human brain in the droid doean't work for me on tons of levels. Sorry.

The only time something similar seemed interesting is a proposal in Force Unleashed where they had a droid trying to be human. I think they called him a corpse droid. It was pretty gnarley, but interesting nontheless.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nooo. I replied to it. I said I don't agree with anything involving putting a human brain in a droid. It accomplishes the same story arc by having someones memories and behavior transferred off of a large data repository. Either that or just a droid that hasn't been wiped in a few hundred years.

You can accomplish the same, or more of your goals with either two of those arc possibilities in my opinion. The human brain in the droid doean't work for me on tons of levels. Sorry.

The only time something similar seemed interesting is a proposal in Force Unleashed where they had a droid trying to be human. I think they called him a corpse droid. It was pretty gnarley, but interesting nontheless.

Ah, my apologies then.

The idea was supposed to be morbid and disturbing. That's part of the point and gives a "Frankenstein's Monster" feel to the class, as well as showcasing just why it is you are so unique and not seen much anywhere else.

The brain is also not physically being put into the droid. I don't know if that's what you thought or not, but it is just the memories and behaviors of the person who came prior. The droid isn't technically truly the person who Garn took the mind from, but a very very advanced copy.

Although I can see where you are coming from, I think downplaying the shock level would make the story have less impact. Just my opinion.

Yea but if we want to go for shock factor, reversing the idea works better. A droid trying to turn himself human. Very macabre and unsettling. Whereas a ' ghost in the machine ' or a droid that hasn't been format C:\ in 400 years both have enough wisdom and experience to be interesting.

I would be happy to not use a literal brain, but there is only so much character you can take from a person in from age 8ish to whenever hey get 'uploaded' back to being 'downloaded' again. Unless they remain a mahine ghost for a while.

I want the droid to distinctly not be alive though. Otherwise it was never programmed, and wouldn't have anything to do with 'the maker." So it would't really be a droid. Maybe more of a parasite.. Maybe we're both on the same page, but using different words. Hard to tell.

I enjoy the discussion tho. I'm passionate abt getting new droids whether companion or playable, and support both. Hopefully I get my droid thread moved here soon out of the amug forum.

Battle Droid class for Empire to fill the gap of no sith soldier role, and something like a republic "noble" of sorts who is an individual high on the political spectrum who also does a lot of "agent" type things on the side with all of his money/power/connections.

Would work really well to fill some role vacuums on each faction. A touch of "trooper" in the battle droid class for the empire and a touch of "agent" on the republic side, while keeping some very cool uniqueness in the sense of the more political side and the more being-a-droid side.

These would be mirrors, of course.

I really like the Empire Commando droid idea and woukd segue really well into all of those different clans having various droid armies later. You could be the first of a new line, too expensive to mass produce. Like a prototype. Could even have the production facility destroyed as part of the opening quest line.

Get your plans downloaded into your memory and get out. No idea who you are, etc.. When ypu are to safety you read your coding. Only getting that far because survivability and self preservation was loaded, but not your missions. You load your missions and grt going. Since your attitude and ethics were never fully loaded, you can choose light / dark paths, but you still need to do the missions.

So essentially you would be a partially wiped M1-4X working for the Empire with your own missions. People couldn't use over ride codes because they weren't loaded and you overpowered the republic attackers when they tried to get an initial restraining bolt on you.

Along with your missions, you also carry the plans to your design. But nobody is auhorized to have them, and everyone is trying to either kill you to get them or exploit or take advantage of your power and naievete.

Heh this sounds awesome!

Edited by siegeshot

Normally I can come up with something, but a force wielding droid.

How does it work? Kind of like... trapping some force into a droid... Bah that wouldn't make sense.

The force independently controlling something by itself?

In Force Unleashed 1, Kazdan Paratus could make these big metal force golem sort of creatures (Junk Titan). But those things couldn't think on their own. It doesn't really explain how they work. He seems to control them just by being there. Like how Shaak Ti keeps Felucia the way it is by being there..

I literally have nothing to draw on in the Star Wars universe for a droid being force sensitive.

I was pretty sure the force was only in living things, but could be infused into non living things, but only as the living thing was... alive...

Does anyone know? :(

Normally I can come up with something, but a force wielding droid.

How does it work? Kind of like... trapping some force into a droid... Bah that wouldn't make sense.

The force independently controlling something by itself?

In Force Unleashed 1, Kazdan Paratus could make these big metal force golem sort of creatures (Junk Titan). But those things couldn't think on their own. It doesn't really explain how they work. He seems to control them just by being there. Like how Shaak Ti keeps Felucia the way it is by being there..

I literally have nothing to draw on in the Star Wars universe for a droid being force sensitive.

I was pretty sure the force was only in living things, but could be infused into non living things, but only as the living thing was... alive...

Does anyone know? :(

There IS something similar to a Force-sensitive droid. Iron Knights.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Iron_Knight

For their dark side corruption, they could gradually look more rusted and run down.

There's a bad *** factor to an old and nearly broken machine killing everything.

That would look very, very cool. Especially since the rusted fx in the game already look, really. Really. cool !

I don't think we need Force sensitive droids or droids with human brains in them. Just a normal assassin droid like 1G-88 and HK-47 who attains sentience and whose story deals with that subject (it really is a compelling subject). Obviously, a sentient killer droid would be of great interest to the Empire.

I don't think we need Force sensitive droids or droids with human brains in them. Just a normal assassin droid like 1G-88 and HK-47 who attains sentience and whose story deals with that subject (it really is a compelling subject). Obviously, a sentient killer droid would be of great interest to the Empire.

Yep, that was the intention from the start.

I think there are several compelling droid stories. Tiny slicer droids hiding in bigger ones, loading droids that never get wiped, non-obnoxious pilot droids.

I go into a lot more detail in my other droid thread. I'm still working on getting it moved over to the normal class thread.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=532298

I think they could do like two sub classes. manual labor droids, battle droids. From those you'd have loading droids, pilot droids. Then assassin droids, and war droids. Then a common class... ?

Ah I don't know. I could write a whole book. This is such a fun topic.

• 3 months later...

Thought I would try to bring this back up one last time as there is a subscribe option now. I keep them bookmarked but now people can subscribe, so yea.

One new thing to bring to light now I think. Two things actually.

The April fools joke where you could be the droid class and eventually the player character became the ship droid. I think it was a silly version but definitely depending on the droid type there could be quests to clean off the ship, defend the ship if your master was incapacitated. If you were an astromech droid, keeping the ship going by rewiring the ship in combat... stuff like that. Also.

Spoilers.

As part of the Jedi Knight storyline. On Hoth a gal talks about her droids starting to become slightly force sensitive as they were collecting a conscious of some sort. For whatever reason I can't remember why. It's because they were occupying the space of the force or something, or because there was enough of them, or they'd become personable enough that the force could interact with them and vice versa...

I think either way you slice it I would love to see a droid class.

Since there's been no new input in a few days I'll add a few personal thoughts on playing a droid.

The most basic thing needed for a Droid class or race is the story, Venan gave a good example for how the Droid might have come into existence. After that we get to personality, the personality is of course what decides how the character will play out. A good start would be two or three personalities, one personality for Dark side actions, one for Light and one for the in-between. Examples from in game could be the more "Dark-side" aligned personality of Scorpio versus the zealously patriotic (and somewhat Light-sided) mentality of M1-4X.

So to say the character could sway between patriotic or at least dutiful to their faction or more self-serving and unsympathetic mindset.

After that follows speech patterns, imo I think that droids should be expo-speaking at most times. Over analyze the situations they end up in and seem somewhat inconsiderate towards NPCs (simply because they are not really “humane” so to say.

He's asking for a class, not a race, at least that's what the title suggests - in which case, romances and such wouldnt be a problem, as they simply wouldnt be included in the droid's class quests.

As for the droid being a companion rather than a leader... that's debatable, but you're right in that it doesnt make much sense for humanoids/aliens to follow a droid as companions. The obvious fix for this is to give the droid class a bunch of droid companions instead of 'living' companions.

I do think it'd be an interesting class to play, though.

i think are examples of droids could be leaders such as... super advanced droids such as HK-47 that has advanced tactics knowlege and independent thought how wouldn't that make a good leader character? i just disagree with alot of thoughts that droids wouldnt make good leader. are PLENTY of stories and books and novels that exist about droids and androids are advanced enough that they could be a main character. Sure they arent starwars games but that is like saying its impossible for a sith to be a good guy(clearly its not since, we got force unleashed, as much as people MAY hate on it...he's clearly a sith...and clearly doing good).

Case in point NOTHING is impossible... however that said...having a class is both a race and class is a bit ackward... and not sure i'm a fan of racial classes...

Edited by Lokai

Yes.

I proposed this idea way, way back when I played SWG too, and I still stand by it. Droids in Star Wars have so much personality that they really are characters in their own right.

Also, droid RP would be hilarious/awesome, and it'd make it so that multiplayer content like flashpoints and operations get some droid love too! Given the way this game plays, this would mostly be either a battle droid or assassin droid, though I could see an astromech working too, potentially.

Edited by Halkyon

Utility droid and Combat droid as the two ACs? Also, I think droid companions fit better than animals.

SNIP

You just won 1 internets sir!

I love this idea. I believe it would allow for a wide range of story arcs much like the Imperial Agent. It wouldn't get bogged down with the "jedi code" or other bs that plagues the mage classes. Also much like the IA there are very few minor characters that are notable droids within the Star Wars universe that I could imagine being a fully capable class. For example:

IG-88A

HK-47

Guri

4-LOM

I would definitely play this class. There are so many possibilities. (republic) You have a master, forced to do manual labor. Kill your master (DS) runaway (LS) travel the galaxy to become as assassin or a repair droid. (imperial) your a slave droid to a sith lord. Taking out targets or possible a body guard to your master.

Essentially your storyline is to build your reputation and break your programing. You could meet other droids both pathetic slave master droids or ones similar to yourself.

Thats what I can think off the top of my head at least. There is a lot of potential here. I hope Bioware finds this thread.

Edited by ZackAlklazaris

Considering armoring and weaponry for the possible "Droid" Class/Race, would it not be awesome if each and every piece of droid gear had a custom appearance? Like one Motor might give your character 4 Legs, one might give him wheels instead of feet, weaponry might either take the shape of actual weapons or in some cases arm-mounted turrets and vibroswords. I mean what's cooler? A C2-N2 holding a vibrosword or a C2N2 having a vibrosword for an arm?

Then we come to appearances that you pick at the beginning of the game, the most basic customizations for other races seems to be Body Type, Head, Scars, Complexion, Eye Color, Hair and Hair Color. We can skip Hair and Hair Color, after all it is a droid.

Eye Color could be basic colors like Red, Yellow and Blue. Perhaps also add such colors as Green, Purple and Orange.

Body Types goes from 1-4, for a droid it could simply be an increase in scale, or perhaps an increase in hull armor.

Heads can come in many shapes, and constructs. Some might have mouth and nose, some might just be a standard droid face.

Scars is where the Droids would be awesome, so to say battle damage. Bullet holes, scratches, burns or carvings, after all “we” are made from metal.

Complexion could range from different types of dirt, just need to know where to draw a line from Scars.

Then we come to a “special” appearance tab. I'd like to have two myself. Addons and Markings.

Addons could be such things as antennas, extra gadgets or trinkets etc.

Marks would be like tattoos, Republic might get something like Havoc Squad markings or Bounty Hunter Paint.

Essentially your storyline is to build your reputation and break your programing. You could meet other droids both pathetic slave master droids or ones similar to yourself.

I'd like to see something similar, or perhaps something more along the lines of finding upgrades for yourself. Some story-line quests could take the shape of you uploading yourself on the holonet (this could happen on let's say Nar'Shadda) finding the most resent of Software or information that you can use. The later part of such a quest could make you enter something like the Spirit World on Voss only that instead of Nightmares and Corruption you fight Firewalls and Viruses.

• 3 months later...
id love it, but how would you do the convo options? a droid follows programming. hk-47 was programmed as an assassin droid, so he was basically...well pretty much evil. other are more light, and they can develop personality quirks but they would still follow their programming...id like to see it but it would be rather difficult to do.