Double XP, Ilum, & Concern

Graydon

Never seen so many gripes and complaing.

How is any individual affected by somebody else rolling up huge xp and hitting their characters to 50? Is your gameplay really going to be impacted?

I have four level 50's and I am not going to lose any sleep if somebody ends up with more level 50 characters than I have.

Isn't the purpose of double xp weekends to assist as many players possible to level their characters to 50?

The boards are a frenzy with complaints and whining over people getting over and hitting 50. Please somebody enlighten me what's the big deal? I see the complaints, but nobody wants to post why they are raging.

I think it has to with learning your class. Which would impact others later but to the point of game breaking no.

I also don't see any problem with this I can lvl alts faster if I wish to spend hours on Ilum but that is no fun for me.

so more power to the ones that can.

i said this in game and i will say this here

it is human nature for one group of ppl to force others into what they see is "the proper way to do things or how to live ur life"

if youre not following the status quo, then clearly you are a hectic and must conform to their ways or be purge.

I have no issue with per se. The only time it could be is if, as some complained on their server, all or most of the pylons are being used for farming, then there is little that people can do if hey just want to do the quest and move on.

When this was a poorly kept secret it wasn't too bad. Now that it is much more widely known, it would most likely have become a bigger headache.

I think it has to with learning your class. Which would impact others later but to the point of game breaking no.

I also don't see any problem with this I can lvl alts faster if I wish to spend hours on Ilum but that is no fun for me.

so more power to the ones that can.

I fail to see how soloing from 1-50 on story driven missions helps you learn your class any more than participating in grouped mob farming.

Neither really tells you what you need to know to operate effectively in grouped content at the endgame.

i said this in game and i will say this here

it is human nature for one group of ppl to force others into what they see is "the proper way to do things or how to live ur life"

if youre not following the status quo, then clearly you are a hectic and must conform to their ways or be purge.

Think you mean heretic. Anyways I agree with you. What you said is pretty much why there were so many brutal wars in human history. Don't wanna do it my way!? WAR!! Solutions to disagreements involved silencing the advocate.

Most people who oppose Illum power leveling fall under this category:

"wow, that's a really good efficient method of earning experience, but I can't be bothered to do it myself. It's too repetitive, boring. So, since I can't bring myself to take advantage of it, I'll make sure no one else is able to use this method."

It doesn't impact them at all. I play WZ's with people that are 50 every day who have played their class since they started this game, and they suck at it. Grinding to 50 the "Bioware way" doesn't make better players.

People just like to complain - it's usually the guy who has 15 guild-less alts and only 1 lvl50 who feels like people should enjoy the questing as much as he does. There's a reason these people have no friends.

The idea is that it impacts the integrity of the game. Provide people with such a bonus as to make all other methods of levelling obsolete, and it 'cheapens' the achievements of everyone else. Whether that matters to you or not is another story.

A far more extreme example of this would be like getting a college degree. If it took you 4 years to complete, would you complain that the next year they reduced the requirement to 1 year?

The idea is that it impacts the integrity of the game. Provide people with such a bonus as to make all other methods of levelling obsolete, and it 'cheapens' the achievements of everyone else. Whether that matters to you or not is another story.

A far more extreme example of this would be like getting a college degree. If it took you 4 years to complete, would you complain that the next year they reduced the requirement to 1 year?

This is a game, not college. Your comparison is apples and oranges. 1-50 takes a good player less than a week. 1-50 on Ilum isn't nearly as quick as you suggest and there's no "cheapening" involved. The ONLY unique part of grinding a new toon is the flipping class quest - 10-15% of the quests at best - and that STILL can be run by a level 50 player.

Also...don't be so proud of your online "achievements"...they aren't nearly as impressive as you seem to think they are.

This is a game, not college. Your comparison is apples and oranges. 1-50 takes a good player less than a week. 1-50 on Ilum isn't nearly as quick as you suggest and there's no "cheapening" involved. The ONLY unique part of grinding a new toon is the flipping class quest - 10-15% of the quests at best - and that STILL can be run by a level 50 player.

Also...don't be so proud of your online "achievements"...they aren't nearly as impressive as you seem to think they are.

If you weren't so interested in being condescending, you may have noticed that I never said I was proud of the achievements, and I believe I explained that the college analogy was an extreme example... but yes, the concept is identical. I took a neutral tone in my explanation, and simply gave the most logical argument for why this is a concern for some people.

In fact, I'm of the opinion that the whole thing is a non-issue. To me, TOR is an extreme example of a theme park MMO, there is very little depth to anything here. I don't care if this unexpected XP windfall comes back or not - but to suggest that it is not a windfall is silly. People do level up far quicker with the illum boost and the XP boost coupled together. 20 hours was the common claim, of sitting in a large group autoattacking mindlessly - opposed to the previous 40 hours from the most knowledgable people with levelling routes planned out.

well if he or she can learn the same material as the 4 year person did, then yeah it wouldnt bother me at all

(in fact, there are 1-2 year colleges that do specialize this and i know there is a video game college in chicago that have you coming to school 6 days a week to achieve this).

Edited by astrobearx

(in fact, there are 1-2 year colleges that do specialize this and i know there is a video game college in chicago that have you coming to school 6 days a week to achieve this).

Some degrees are easier to do this with than others, though I've heard of no accredited programs that offer a standard 4 year degree in just 1 year. Semantics accounted for, a more accurate way to say it would be to ask, what if they changed the requirement from 120 credit hours to 30.

Edited by FearlessTeapot

So if i work hard and become a millionaire i can then complain about people who won the lottery being bad millionaires and it shouldnt be allowed?

Would you give back the millions if you won the lottery ? Cause it was easier to get it then working for it?

Its a mmo nothing before 50 matters the game starts at 50. Regardless of how you got there. Its one thing if there is a exploit and you can cap valor like at launch when it was a requirement for gear because it let people get ahead unfairly. However no one is in a race to 50 and getting ahead is not possible all that you get is a additional way to level. If anything its what isnt done enough in mmos which is more choices of how to play.

So leveling by crafting, fps, pvp all should not be allowed because the people who quest dont like leveling in any way other then questing and everyone should play the game like you want instead of how they want?

Some people just like to complain :) Sadly, if you look at the bulk of the forum notes, that's what you see, people complaining for the sake of hearing themselves complain.

Honestly, most of us could care less how others are leveling their characters. As long as their method of leveling doesn't break the game for others, let them enjoy the loop hole they found. Me? I enjoy the story too much to "skip through it" on Illum, but that's me (even on character 12, which I'm leveling now ~smile~).

I don't really care what other people think, I am a High School football player and I love playing this game. But, between workouts and school, I have little to no time to play this game. The double xp and gree event stuff on Ilum allows me to get up into the levels that I don't get the opportunity to get to on my own. If people need/want to get to level 50 in hardly any time at all, then I say let em'.

I fail to see how soloing from 1-50 on story driven missions helps you learn your class any more than participating in grouped mob farming.

Not that I care either way about the Illum farming, but this comment is just stupid.

Never seen so many gripes and complaing. How is any individual affected by somebody else rolling up huge xp and hitting their characters to 50? Is your gameplay really going to be impacted?

I will have to pay repair bills when these 15 hour lvl 1-50 cheaters are standing in my ops group and have no idea what any of their abilities do, don't know which they need to stack or what skills to prioritize over others, or how to play their toons. then there's the fact of equity.. how is it fair to folks who didn't cheat and it takes 5 to 6 days of play time to get to 50 and someone who did cheat a shortcut got to 50 in 11 or 12 hours of playtime?

if they're fine with that just put an auto-50 button on the cartel market and be done with it. or once the new content expansion goes live auto-bump every existing toon to 50. if you don't see how cheating an exploit in an MMO isn't a bad thing you're just short-bus special