Game Update 1.7 Developer Blog: Galactic Reputation

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the grind. Since rep is LEGACY bound going up with a group of related alts should be hella easy. Just saying. This isn't WoW where reputation is character dependent. Having even two characters able to do associated content will make it that much easier and faster.

Welcome to the grind. Since rep is LEGACY bound going up with a group of related alts should be hella easy. Just saying. This isn't WoW where reputation is character dependent. Having even two characters able to do associated content will make it that much easier and faster.

No, it won't. You can't get more than X amount of rep per week no matter how many toons you have because it is legacy wide. You can do a little bit on each one, but all together you can't do any more with ten toons each week than you could do with just one. And since this will likely progress at the same glacial rate as the existing Legacy grind, it's going to take a hella long time doing the same crap content over and over to max out in any of the reputation lines. If anything, this is even a worse grind than Legacy, because at least you gain Legacy XP while leveling alts. You can't gain rep with a toon while leveling at all, until you get to 47-50ish and can do the content that it is tied to.

Edited by Heezdedjim

it feels like someone didn't want to code in something like how missions can give positive and negative light/darkside points or companion affections, so they cheaply made it an item you activate to give the points. Short cutting like this gives no confidence in your programers ability to code the game.

Putting the rep on tradable items, however, lets them do two things... allow people to trade them on the GTN, and, more importantly, allows eaware to sell rep directly on the cartel market via rep-prizes in lock boxes and whatnot.

So, probably less a code decision than an actual design and $$$ decision.

And to the people who keep asking... they've already said... it's NOT RETROACTIVE. And anyways... who even did any of those horrible Voss heroics? Why do you think they have to reincentivize them to get people to actually use the content...

And anyways... who even did any of those horrible Voss heroics? Why do you think they have to reincentivize them to get people to actually use the content...

Indeed.

Their reasoning is flawed. Poor content is still poor content even if there is a larger carrot.

Instead of designing better content, EAware repurposes the same old little played content. Brilliant!! :rolleyes:

*Equip defibrillator* CLEAR!!

:cool:

Putting the rep on tradable items, however, lets them do two things... allow people to trade them on the GTN, and, more importantly, allows eaware to sell rep directly on the cartel market via rep-prizes in lock boxes and whatnot.

So, probably less a code decision than an actual design and $$$ decision.

And to the people who keep asking... they've already said... it's NOT RETROACTIVE. And anyways... who even did any of those horrible Voss heroics? Why do you think they have to reincentivize them to get people to actually use the content...

Funny I thought that as well - the primary reason to do it this is because it allows them to sell the items through the CM as well as the existing increasing effect option they have already implemented.

Seems awfully gimmicky, so we are supposed to do all this for a title? I noticed they already removed the pic showing some of the titles. I wonder if one of them is to get people to do the section X dailies. I know I don't go there. I agree with the others about when are bugs going to be fixed too. People are still falling through the ramp by the tractor beam console on esseles after more than a year of being bugged. I am not really looking forward to doing any of these things for reputation after hk being a let down and the cartel market being reskins of existing outfits.

Damn, hard mode space mission? Remember getting a few upgrades after 1.6 was introduced and giving up

Yea, too hard is not fun. I don't enjoy playing the space missions much. They become clicking mayhem and perfect timing eccentric.

Are we going to know the limit of points per week? My concern is that this might be like the Companion gift system where at set points the value return changes including down to zero. Am I going to lose a major rep points item to get zero if I forget on Monday that I already spent my limit last tuesday (Before weekly reset).

MORE MISSIONS ON TATOOINE!

Pazaak (PvP)

SWOOP RACING(as PvP ofcorse, not minigame)!

CONTENT THAT WILL REMIND OF MOVIES!

FAMOUS FACTIONS ONLY PLS!!!

REPUTATION WITH CZERKA and CRIME WORLD INSTEAD!

PvP with vechicles and actual warfare please!

Arenas for 1v1 PvP please! With champoin of arena title and epic weapon\mount taht only current champoin can carry!

Adcance Legacy and Social, I want my legacy 50 and Social X meant something, I dont know, what ever, even allow to spit on those who has lesser legacy rank, its all what MMO about!

Solo-PvE chalenges please, tired of soloing End of Torvix, Need to feel Chuk Norris like, not only 8\16men beating up poor litle raid boss.

Guild levels(yes like in WoW) to make less useless guilds who dont do anything disappear, and make pregression PvE. Hard Core PvP more populated

Idea with private spaceships are amazing, Bioware\EA, players like feeling of private property in MMO!!! Make something more about it, private farms on Tatooine, Guild houses, Guild Starships. I want my own teashop on Voss!

Make classes weild more then 1 weapon, Doublebladed lightsabers to Maradeurs\Sentinels, and Dual weild to Assasins\Shadows, like in KOTOR, that person can custumize it. Give assault riffles to Powertechs!

More then 110% mounts please and no NOT 120%, Freaking 200% please

Make Roket boost like activatble mount!

Flying mounts ofcorse!

Edited by Sithishe

What is the motivation for doing this new grind?

Its a new system that basically asks us to grind lots of old content. Fine. New titles, OK. But why on earth would the majority of the population actually be interested in this thing? I'm sure you do have some rewards for it but you've not even hinted at what they are!!

It is unbelieveably poor marketing to release a blog like this introducing a new grind without even trying to incentivise the community. Sort it out.

Would you rather sit around and do nothing between Raids? Or do the daily SM Op/HM FP for comms that aren't really needed if you've been at this for a while? Or how about rolling another alt? Frankly, it's something to do -- much like the wealth of grinds in other games, that were purely for titles or a chance at rare drops. At least this one offers special items and equipment, in addition to titles and "prestige".

"As your Reputation Rank increases, new rewards will become available to you. Throughout the galaxy, you will find Reputation Vendors associated with each organization. Special rewards with Reputation Rank requirements can be purchased from these vendors. Items and equipment with a Reputation Rank requirement can only be purchased, used, or equipped if you meet or exceed the rank requirement."

(Incentive beyond a title)

The "old" content are heroics on Voss (not the entire questline..), Section X, and Hard Mode space missions (presuming many people do the latter). Additionally we'll have the Gree enclave events.

In my opinion, something is better than nothing. I'd rather have things to do on my main, and encourage Bioware to do more while offering constructive feedback, as opposed to complaining about what progress they do make. Complaints rarely motivate one to work harder, especially when the community is impossible to please. They're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Is it retroactive?

Making it retroactive would defeat the purpose.

Further, how many people actually farmed the Voss heroics? Hard Mode space missions? The Gree enclave is new content. Basically, you'd have rep for Section X dailies. Which means, if it were made retroactive, it would reduce the amount of additional content to do between Ops/FPs/Alts, to keep your main relevant. You'd automatically have a faction completed, depending on how often you farmed it.

This is additional incentive to do the Section X dailies (if BH comms, daily comms, and a pile of credits weren't enough), revisit old planets, explore an oft ignored area of the game, earn some more credits, and access some new items/titles.

Edited by Nicolettexiv

The very last thing this game required was a faction-grinding system, of all the many alternate progression systems out there in the MMO space this is by far the laziest dirtiest solution & it's so old boring & lacking in imagination.

I'd rather see more sandbox elements make it into the game than tired old ideas like this.

Different teams work on different things.

Legacy titles? Why not normal titles? Looks like a stupid idea to me.

Nice to get a reason to visit Voss again, but could it also be made possible to get reputation from heroics on Correlia, so that we also have a reason to return there?

Hard mode space missions are only the few new ones? Or could at least the daily for the former highest missions also grand reputation?

In addition to the recurring Gree event.

I presume it's a legacy title rather than normal title as it was easier to add the feature and have it apply to all characters, rather than if it were to be a normal title. The framework is already there.

Agreed. Once again, "information" that raises more questions than it answers. Poorly written. It should have addressed if it would be retroactive. TBH, there is nothing in the write up presented that would make me go back and regrind old content. Titles? Oh boy! :rolleyes: This is just another WoW clone "end game" solution. We grind reps in WoW now as the end game mechanic for gear, mounts, etc. This isn't new. :cool:

Might be a reading comprehension issue, as they clearly address that reputation will not be retroactive in the press release. There are other items available aside from titles.

Frankly, I enjoyed the fact that in other games, between raids and whatnot, I had something to do. Between world/holiday events, dailies, rep grinds, ridiculous achievements, going through old content for rare mounts, and so on ... I was entertained. It's not exactly riveting, but the achievement freak in me loves it. Grabbing a friend and knocking down various achievements was a decent time. In SWTOR, I have too many alts, and sitting around on the fleet isn't really incentive for me to log in. Nor does unlocking codex entries hold the same appeal as achievement hunting. I appreciate the effort in adding this content -- I know it's not world changing, but it's something, and it was something they could add relatively quickly (as opposed to say, pazaak, swoop racing, new hubs, rakghoul-scale events, etc. which would require a significantly higher amount of time and development effort... which I'm still hoping for.. )

Sorry, but this is CRAP. You're determined to make all players equal by the minimum.

- "I want the best gear without working hard and nightmare operations"

- Dont worry! here, your BiS in GTN!

- "Also, the best crafter"

- Steal recipes from GTN too if you want!

- MOMMY! That kid it's spending too much time and effort grinding reputation and I want the same NOW

- Prepare for FARMING CAP! BioWare decides how much time you need to play.

Seriously. Really? Really??? BioWare, please. If you're determined to ruin any kind of PvE competition at all. Make an announcement at say it clear. Say "WE DONT BELIEVE IN THE EFFORT-REWARD SYSTEM" "WE'RE COMMUNIST". And it's ok. But this is a joke. All our guild hopes were in the reputation system because we're grinding TFB HM and Denova Nighmare on Tuesdays, to gear our alters (our 2nd or 3rd alter i mean) and we need things to do. And now, you decide for us how much time we can play.

It's not fair and this is a mistake. You need to recalibrate your long-term strategy and you need to put a carrot in the stick to this game because every game needs to be competitive. Specially an MMO, the genre with the most pronounced effort-reward ecuation.

If you expect from us to stay quiet in the fleet, showing our fancy lasers, mounts and armor from Cartel Market. Just say it. I understand the casual way of life. But is not mine. Just say it.

I doubt they'll hand over best in slot, dread guard equivalents. I did see some interesting gear in the trailer though. Further, you can play all you like, and still earn the trophies that give you rep, you just can't grind through it in a week or two and cash them all in. The only limit is how many trophies you can exchange for rep on a weekly basis. This is to prolong the longevity of the content (much like raid lockouts) to extend the longevity of the game. If they allowed you to burn through all of the content in a week, THEN all you'd have left to do is sit around showing off your gear on the fleet. Attempts at prolonging the lifespan of content is pretty standard, and not a means of holding back the more hardcore players in favor of the casuals.. it's to give us something to do while we're progressing/farming/whatever.

1. I have not forgotten about Makeb. The time spent on this 'feature' could have been used to make more content for Makeb, or fix bugs, or heck, the hours could have been used to playtest Makeb more thoroughly since it is sure to be quite bug-ridden. (I say that only partly in jest.)

2. There is an opportunity cost for every decision. No company has unlimited man hours, so the time spent on this project was not available for other development work.

That is the core of my original question: why was it considered important to add this particular system at this time?

1. Different teams work on different things. Teams assembled to work on certain aspects of the game, in different departments. Further, some content takes more time than others.

This game addition serves the purpose of giving players who've rapidly burned through all of the content something to do in the interim, which is the purpose of most of this kind of content.

Frankly, the framework for most of this patch was already in the game, so I imagine they pushed it because it was a means to get something new to us in a timely manner while the OTHER teams are working on their respective projects (expansion, PvP, Bug fixes, improving game play, cosmetic items, events, cartel market, etc.)

That being said, I highly doubt that if they had chosen not to release this little patch, that somehow we'd have the expansion faster.

2. You're assuming that the entire development team works on ONE thing, ONE project at a time. Which is funny, because no major game developer works this way. That's not even taking into account the Project managers, artists, sound designers, QA testing, and budget constraints. Even my employer, a small game dev, doesn't function this way. So, once again, no -- they didn't put everything else on hold to add a reputation system. The team that was dedicated to this obviously elected to save time by choosing to require players to revisit older content and current content to gain faction. The reputation and title system is tied into legacy, an existing framework, so players wouldn't have to grind it all on each respective character. Further, It's similar enough to the commendation system, that it wouldn't be as time consuming to develop it.

An interesting Blog, that might help those that think major MMO developers only have one dev team, working on one project at a time:

"Why They Haven’t Fixed This Bug?" and other common MMO misconceptions.

http://mrlizard.com/rants/why-havent-they-fixed-this-bug/

If the items unlocked are awesome then YES! Sign me up. But if they are anything like the commendation gear we can get with commendations or social ranking... well then it sounds half baked to me. :D

BW - How about you finish what you started with LEGACY first? That would be more impressive than a whole new grind tree to follow. That was a great idea that just went flat cold and fizzled away w/o any of the "Cool" stuff it was supposed to make possible. If the rewards are worth it, then I'm all for grinding. Right now most those provided to date that are in similar nature are lacking attention and/or value. Is this going to be different?

Um, legacy is cool. I love my rocket boots, and the QoL features it unlocks (xp boosts, companion "sell trash" time reduction, field repair droid, field mailbox, crit crafting percentage increases, field respec, ship GTN / mailbox / droid / operations dummy, shared buffs, and heroic moment legacy abilities, to name a few.)

And the commendation vendors suck? So you'd rather not have a means to bypass spending 5k-50k on moddable gear and the necessary mod upgrades? Not only is it helpful while leveling, but you can burn unused comms on BoE pieces (mods) that sell pretty nicely, or reverse engineer them for mats/schematics.

And, based on what I see on the fleet, it doesn't seem like the player base is short on fans of getting different looking gear sets. However, if you're against somewhat exclusive gear, titles, possibly mods?, mounts, pets, etc. then by all means, continue finding other means to kill time.

This is what bothers me. There are times when I am really busy. For example, during the last world event I was in Mexico for work. I missed the whole thing. I'm annoyed every time I see those bind-to-legacy weapons. Now, another world event is coming, and in two weeks I'm moving to Taipei for a bit and probably won't be able to play much. In fact, I've never taken part in a world event yet, because they are so short. (Has there been 1 or 2?)

It's not like we have so many events that we need to shorten them; Let the world event last for 5 months. Give us a chance to play it!

The Gree event will repeat regularly. A 5 month long world event isn't really the same kind of "event" by definition, and would kind of defeat the purpose. Purpose being, like everything with an MMO, getting players to log on and play. By limiting the time frame, they drive up player populations and bring back players that have left or haven't signed on recently.

Reputation system is greate idea, if complete it properly. Now I started to play WoW, just to see how MMO should look like and even when I level my 1st character, I still sometimes stop leveling and coming back to farm reputation with factions just for fun of it.

SW EU has lots of factions originaly, and SWTOR need alternative leveling zones, alternative quest lines, like in KOTOR games Czerka vs Itorians. But starting with factions liek Voss-ka, and Belsavis something, realy? The only reputation faction that makes sense its Gree Anclave. This can be realy greate add to the game if do it wisely, add reputation factions taht players will be INTERESTING to do! Faction questlines, in locations and planets that PLAYERS LIKE! FOrget about your proud and like "We made Voss, and Section X but noone likes it! Lets make something to make players play it!" No its wrong, forget about locations taht players dont like, and make more quests there where people like to play. Maybe I am only one like that, but I want more of Tatooine, Hoth,Nar Shadda, sometimes I jsut enjoing raiding there on speeder in Dune See. People dont start to like Voss or Section X becos of rep farming there, they just start to leave game more fsater, becso developers dont listen to them. Gam should develop in way taht community wants it. Persanal I am leveling alts like taht, so I am level 45 whe nI finish Hoth, so I can skip Belsavis and Voss and Corelia planet quests, becos of insane laggs, loading screens of taht planets. And more content there will work in that way "Ok, there is to many contant in locations I dont like, so probably will stop playing"

This game need help, alot of help

So, any solo things? cause i can never do the hardmode space missions, the way you have done the space combat is....shall we say.....extremely primitive by todays' standards, if it was more like Tie Fighter (as in, a proper space sim, then i wouldn't have an issue.

Anyway, if the reputation is only for endgame levels, then its rather pointless, it should be available from level 1, like Korriban or something and there really shouldn't be a weekly cap, the crap you will likely get from the vendors will be cosmetic stuff, at best.

I am still waiting for you guys to make the legacy gear scale by level, that would rock and then would make them worth buying.

I will consider my thoughts on this to be neutral overall. I'm going to do Section X anyway for BH comms once a week (nothing more, yuck), so why not give me rep as I go.

The new Gree event should be exciting, although I'm hoping I dont have to PVP if I dont want to. Time will tell what exactly that has in store for us. This will be my first World Event since I subbed beginning of Sept.

H4 missions on Voss weren't very fun, but the planet was the most beautiful planet I think, so it will be nice to revisit because of that at least. Maybe if EA-BW adds the Voss heroics to Group Finder with a daily reward as incentive that could help.

The down side of this is the Space Missions rep. I've only done about 2 space missions ever ha. I'd rather see EA-BW give us swoop track racing or POD racing if it was invented yet. I enjoyed Ep 1 Pod Racer back in the day ha. Then a new rep system for racing of course. It would be brand new, so everyone would be doing it for the new content and not just for the grind.

Positives and negatives make me neutral.

Hmm. No new mission content, just new rewards for doing the same old stuff. And it's not really even rewards, but a currency to grind to get new rewards. Joy. This is exactly the kind of grind that turns me off of these games. In no way do I consider the 'Galactic Reputation' system to be an improvement. :( Edited by Ayradyss