Game Update 1.7 Developer Blog: Galactic Reputation

CourtneyWoods

Hmm. No new mission content, just new rewards for doing the same old stuff. And it's not really even rewards, but a currency to grind to get new rewards. Joy. This is exactly the kind of grind that turns me off of these games. In no way do I consider the 'Galactic Reputation' system to be an improvement. :(
Yeah, no new content, except a completely reworked area on Ilum with new missions... sheesh...

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then why not give us a blog about the revamped ilum pvp? this reputation system is nothing but carrot-on-a-stick filler for grind donkeys. And they aren't even using fresh carrots. This whole proposed system is garbage. If having reputation with a given faction meant something beyond a title and "some kind of gear" it would be way more impactful. Give each faction a collective reputation. Allow us to actually sway Voss and Gree sentiment, and then give us meaningful rewards for doing so.

Not to mention that the only new content that even seems to be included in this reputation system is whatever crazy crap they come up with for the gree/ilum pve event. This is grasping at straws, hoping people are dumb enough to think the new wrapper isn't hiding tI he same ****.

The whole blog just made this update feel really weak. Quick, give us some good news, because this certainly doesn't make me want to keep playing.

Im like bigeast G E A R I repeat GEAR GRIND Monkey out there. I wanna gear grind for BiS all day long. And then when I come with this full Legend armor set I wanna come to a casual like u and oneshoot u and make u so so mad that next time I open forum that ur name will be first of the firsts in the cry list.

And btw bioware if u dont give us some OP **** rep gear like in WoW this is gona fail!

Im like bigeast G E A R I repeat GEAR GRIND Monkey out there. I wanna gear grind for BiS all day long. And then when I come with this full Legend armor set I wanna come to a casual like u and oneshoot u and make u so so mad that next time I open forum that ur name will be first of the firsts in the cry list.

And btw bioware if u dont give us some OP **** rep gear like in WoW this is gona fail!

Obvious troll is obvious...

So looking at the "how to Earn" part of the Reputation system post it seems apparent Reputation is essentially a mechanic for groups only.

As around 60% of most games player bases are made up of preodminantly solo players..this seems like a bit of a slap in the face to us.

Rep grinds are bad enough..but rep grinds which exclude the majority of us? sort of self defeating.

Pity too as I was looking forward to it :(

Edited by NeoWolf

So looking at the "how to Earn" part of the Reputation system post it seems apparent Reputation is essentially a mechanic for groups only.

As around 60% of most games player bases are made up of preodminantly solo players..this seems like a bit of a slap in the face to us.

Rep grinds are bad enough..but rep grinds which exclude the majority of us? sort of self defeating.

Pity too as I was looking forward to it :(

Huh?

Gree should have plenty of solo missions

Space is solo

Section X is solo, except one mission

Voss heroics, unless they are some new ones, should be soloable at lvl 50

Huh?

Gree should have plenty of solo missions

Space is solo

Section X is solo, except one mission

Voss heroics, unless they are some new ones, should be soloable at lvl 50

We don't know what the Gree event and/or bosses will consist of yet, but the very fact "bosses" are mention screams not soloable for it.

And its not Space missions its HARDmode space missions so your looking at a huge grind beforehand or a spend in the Cartel store to gear your ships up first and that providing you can do them.

Its Section X weekly and Section X missions and they arent all soloable with all classes. And the heroics definitely arent.

Voss heroics arent soloable with the exception of one or two. but then why would they be they are heroics and heroics arent intended for solo. the fact that some can be done and some can be skipped via some stealth classes and most can be turned to once out levelled and sorted (not the case with the voss ones) is moot.

By and large the only people making any headway with rep will be grouped people, and when you consider more or less 60% of a games populace solo predominantly, 20% gve or take raid and 20% give or take pvp then as i say it would seem the rep system is aimed at a minority, while largely excluding the majority, which just seems incredibly counter productive.

Dear Jesse,

So we finally have in game the idea of NPC factions and reputations. It is not clear from the text whether there will be any changes in attitude from a particular NPC depending on my standing with it's faction. I mean - if my reputation with Imperial Guard on Belsavis is of a Legend - will imp guard turrets stop killing my Republic character? Probably not. Maybe, only the ones around bases on Belsavis? Something tells me no, no way.

Then there comes the natural question of losing reputation. If i do missions for the Republic will my Imperial reputation suffer? Nah, probably not. If my hands are awash in imp npc blood will Imperial Guard on Belsavis still list me as a Hero? Looks like the answer is yes. Hm.

OK, suppose I spent my whole time farming Republic reputation killing Imperial npc's and killing Imperial players in pvp and I've never done missions for the Empire. Will I still have Outsider status for the Imperial forces? Looks like yes. Well that's weird, guys. Just remember that Master Jun Seros had my Bounty Hunter blacklisted across the galaxy for way less serious crimes.

So here is the first point. Reputation should have the option of sinking into the negative too. A player's actions aimed at increasing his reputation with one faction should lower reputation(s) with at least one other faction. And it should be either extremely difficult or impossible to achieve excellent reputation with all factions simultaneously.

OK, suppose I am a legend of the Republic Fifth Assault Battalion. What do I get for that? Access to a new measly vendor? Bummer, guys, this idea failed in the LS-DS model, why would you care to repeat it? If I am a Sith Warrior, pure Light Side and a legend of the Republic forces I should perhaps have the option to use Republic stations and taxis and visit Coruscant, not just trade with some droid in section X.

Well, you've got it, my second point is that earning a reputation should perhaps have more outcome than just the option to get some new gear. Here I would have told you stuff about switching factions for characters but... Well I understand this is not exactly what this game is about.

Still the mere introduction of reputation could be a major step towards player-generated content, if you expand the feature right. Otherwise it will just become a new useless grind point.

Edited by merera

Respectfully, I just wanted to say that I really, really dislike this idea. Enormously.

I don't believe this content is aimed primarily at people who nonsensically (story-wise) re-do story content again and again, I think it's aimed at people who don't, to focus them on content they can repeat and give them an incentive to actually repeat it. The reason people like this are in danger of falling out of the game? -> They have no interest in repeating story-heavy flashpoints.

I am assuming this a vanity grind to occupy people who are not running content like this because they have no interest in doing harder and harder modes of killing specific people they've already killed. Attatching this to flashpoints would just defeat the entire point. The people who are interested in repeating flashpoints already are.

Now you want to make some special new 'generic' "flashpoint" designed from a story point of view to be repeatable (maybe with a randomized boss name/appearance?) and attach it to that, sure, but I don't see that happening.

Remove all story element in NMM make the bosses harder, make everything harder, remove the option to skip packs and make the rewards worth the while and randomize loot so you wont get people all gunning for the same FP. Maybe make some minor twist or even better more FP

Would you rather sit around and do nothing between Raids? Or do the daily SM Op/HM FP for comms that aren't really needed if you've been at this for a while? Or how about rolling another alt? Frankly, it's something to do -- much like the wealth of grinds in other games, that were purely for titles or a chance at rare drops. At least this one offers special items and equipment, in addition to titles and "prestige".

"As your Reputation Rank increases, new rewards will become available to you. Throughout the galaxy, you will find Reputation Vendors associated with each organization. Special rewards with Reputation Rank requirements can be purchased from these vendors. Items and equipment with a Reputation Rank requirement can only be purchased, used, or equipped if you meet or exceed the rank requirement."

(Incentive beyond a title)

The "old" content are heroics on Voss (not the entire questline..), Section X, and Hard Mode space missions (presuming many people do the latter). Additionally we'll have the Gree enclave events.

In my opinion, something is better than nothing. I'd rather have things to do on my main, and encourage Bioware to do more while offering constructive feedback, as opposed to complaining about what progress they do make. Complaints rarely motivate one to work harder, especially when the community is impossible to please. They're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I have to admit i would rather sit around fleet waiting for WZ or FP pop than do dailies and maybe even this new grind. I did dailies once where i did them all and have never done em since and i will never do them again its boring.

More bait for the hamster wheel. And yet another way to make this game exactly like every other MMOG on the market, though people have long since stopped hoping for anything else from SWTOR. Even if they have things for sale from Rep vendors OTHER than *yawn* more re-colored gear, I can't see any reason to grind moar.

Whoa whoa whoa! Wait a cotton pickin minute here!All you folks are complaining about another grind?When you brag about having 8 alts?When you brag about being pvp masters with 100 valor level?Bragging about your gear , not only on your main toons but your alts as well?Both PvP and PvE gear?

Youll pardon me while i chuckle at your complaints about grinding.I got ONE max level toon after one year.I have multiple alts as well.To tell you the truth ,people DO grind for titles and reputation since its something that will make their own character more rare and unique than others.

No one looks like me or is specced like me.When they do i can change it thanks to the customization system in game, thank god!

So we get 1.7 and an expansion pack this year.Thats good.Heres to hoping for quarterly world events every year.

Whoa whoa whoa! Wait a cotton pickin minute here!All you folks are complaining about another grind?

No complaining that it:

1. Looks like it's "bolted on" (much like the legacy system ( I am looking at you legacy levels 26-50)).
  2. Not retroactive (penalizes long term players, poor design).
  3. Nothing new (WoW and other games have rep grinds).
  4. Yet another thing that "won't have an effect" on your character ( vis a vie "choices have consequences").

Same old same old ... unless it's in the cash shop and shiny it's not scottish (or so we are lead to believe). :rolleyes:

Well they really listened to our concerns in this thread.

I left wow and came back to SWTOR because of gated content rep grinds. Might as well go back.

At least wow didn't have major bugs like SWTOR.

BIOWARE ..... Fix your bugs first then content last especially when rep grinds mean nothing if your falling through the floor or cannot target npc's or that switch cannot be used or the game is crashing constantly for some.

I see nothing has changed in 6 months with BIOWARE. Same bugs from a year to 6 months ago still exist and they still don't listen to their community.

Limit the reputation gained by week is the best idea ever.

Because i don't want to compete with anyone. Please BioWare, put a time limit to spend in Operations. For the same reason. And also, put a cap in the number of times you can send your companions to do crew skills. Because if a person spends 6 hours playing he can make more money than me.

/irony

NO CAP. I'm a suscriber. NO CAP. Freedom for the people.

you do understand that the cap is only per organization, right?

at the moment there are six organizations. the cap doesn't apply to them all at the same time.

better yet, there should be a system that takes into account the entire Account's activity. If a person has mulitple chracters, and they all have high social levels, or high valor levels, there should be an Account level title that shows their proficiancy, just like 'founder' is account level. that way, people would know your level of skill, no matter the level of your currant character

I have to admit i would rather sit around fleet waiting for WZ or FP pop than do dailies and maybe even this new grind. I did dailies once where i did them all and have never done em since and i will never do them again its boring.

Man I hate them dailies, can't imagine why on earth they keep coming up with them patch after patch. Most content patch is "oh look, here are some dailies for you. And don't forget the dailies in SPACE. " I'd gladly switch section x and the reputation grind system for a solid card minigame or swoop racing or similar.