Focus: Sentinel or Guardian

TripleCharged

I would like to start PVPing as one of these two and am wondering which class should be better for PVP. I have a level 18 sentinel and like it I am just wondering what some of the major differences are. One reason I am thinking about switching to guardian is because of the taunts. Those get you and easy 2-4 medals per match without any major damage loss. And I would like a lot of this to be geared towards end game Elite War Hero geared characters because that is what I want to end up with. The lowbie PVP is not so important.

I would like to start PVPing as one of these two and am wondering which class should be better for PVP. I have a level 18 sentinel and like it I am just wondering what some of the major differences are. One reason I am thinking about switching to guardian is because of the taunts. Those get you and easy 2-4 medals per match without any major damage loss. And I would like a lot of this to be geared towards end game Elite War Hero geared characters because that is what I want to end up with. The lowbie PVP is not so important.

For me personally the guardian has far greater control potential than the sentinal. I prefer to control the enemy in pvp while providing steady to high damage while letting others burst them. I have found in this regards the guardian is far better than the sentinal. Being able to taunt at the right moment completely destroys opposition burst, esecially melee on ball carriers in hutball with AoE taunt. Chilling scream is fantastic in just about any map and unremitting for 4 secs CC immunity every charge makes you a complete nightmare in hutball to deal with. Combined with force push, unchanneled force choke, hilt strike, disruption, force choke and you can lock out a healer with ease if done correctly. Also guarding is invaluable when done correctly.

The Sentinal for me had higher damage with great survivability, yet lacked the control of the guardian and doesn't provide as much team synergy other than killing stuff. However that is also a large benefit in itself when done right. I generally lose in a 1v1 against a skilled sent on my guardian, however it is a very long fight and I can hold them off until help arrives. This is how I'm sepcced though and doesn't concern me at all as I very rarely get into 1v1's as I'm with the main group to get the largest benefit from my class. The sentinal has great escapes, mobility as well as defensive CD's that can really destroy melee/range types damage, yet can still be negated by force/tech damage dealers.

Overall I feel that if I wanted a good dueling class I would probaly prefer the sentinal, however I'm more about the team play and I feel the guardian really outshines the sentinal in this regards. Both are exceptional classes though and it really comes down to personal preference.

Another thing to consider is when you get bored of being an OP smasher or when they nerf how ridiculous smash is that sentinel has 2 other really good trees but guardian has vigilance that unless it gets a nice buff soon it as nice a fall back option. I mean its ok and some people have great fun and results with it but compared to sent..

Another thing to consider is when you get bored of being an OP smasher or when they nerf how ridiculous smash is that sentinel has 2 other really good trees but guardian has vigilance that unless it gets a nice buff soon it as nice a fall back option. I mean its ok and some people have great fun and results with it but compared to sent..

This is very true imo. If you want damage - go Sentinal as it has 3 damage trees. If you want versatility in different styles - go Guardian. Although I have seen some really good vigilence guys hitting master strikes of 8k+ (all 3 strikes combined) followed with a 5.5k dispatch. This is very situyational though and combined with the AoE nature of Smash why I think people prefer Smash specs. Unremitting though for me is just so damn good that I find it extremely hard to go past. Especially as a lot of guys like to knockback the moment you charge and therefore I get a full Master strike off right after charge usually without the them realising it.

I have both a Guardian and a Sentinel, and I honestly think the Guardian's extra CC and survivability is better than the extra damage output of a Sentinel. With a Guardian you have the ability to push tanks/healers away from their guarded counterparts, taunting/emergency guarding/guardian leap to take pressure off healers, and if specced into Unremitting you have 5 seconds of total CC immunity after every leap. I'm full Vigil spec so I can pump out over 10k damage in 2-3 globals.

Sentinels, while they have their own niches, tend to require a nearby tank or healer to be fully efficient since they can be squishy without rebuke up. I traded my Sent for my Guardian and I haven't looked back. Though I do miss being able to root a huttball carrier for almost 8 seconds when they're just shy of scoring. I make myself feel better by pushing Sentinels/Marauders off the Voidstar bridge thinking "hehe, you can't do that, can ya?"

Edited by Ekoth

I have both a Guardian and a Sentinel, and I honestly think the Guardian's extra CC and survivability is better than the extra damage output of a Sentinel. With a Guardian you have the ability to push tanks/healers away from their guarded counterparts, taunting/emergency guarding/guardian leap to take pressure off healers, and if specced into Unremitting you have 5 seconds of total CC immunity after every leap. I'm full Vigil spec so I can pump out over 10k damage in 2-3 globals.

Sentinels, while they have their own niches, tend to require a nearby tank or healer to be fully efficient since they can be squishy without rebuke up. I traded my Sent for my Guardian and I haven't looked back. Though I do miss being able to root a huttball carrier for almost 8 seconds when they're just shy of scoring. I make myself feel better by pushing Sentinels/Marauders off the Voidstar bridge thinking "hehe, you can't do that, can ya?"

While I agree that sentinal's are squish with no CD's I actually prefer their defensive CD's over the guardians. Enure is really not effective imo and provides no real net beneft. That said, the CC offered by the guardian is almost unequaled I think and I can just be a real pain to a large number of enemies. sure I will eventually die but my stalling tactics allow the rest of the team to cap or move onto other objectives unhindered.

I love my guardian and I agree, the damage is still great. I just think that if damage is what you want to do best than the sentinal had more options (flavours) to do so and you'll have more opportunity to find a damaging playstyle that suits.

I agree that Sentinel CDs are in some ways superior to Guardians, but the level of dependency on those CDs is what made me move away from my Sentinel. Maybe with RotHC I may swap back, but my Sith pureblood Guardian will continue to wreck poor squishy sorcerers until then.

I have a Guardian and Sentinel and imo, i prefer the Guardian. A true team type of character, and puts out a good amount of damage while withstanding alot as well. Sentinels seemed to be straight hack and slash type of character, looks good..but limited to a certain role. Love em both, but the Guardian gets the nod from me.

I am leaning towards guardian based on what I have seen.

The things i like about my sentinel that I feel i would miss are Rebuke and cauterize. I was also looking at level 50 stuff and the sentinels get a lot of focus helpers from the other 2 trees, do guardians get anything like that helps with focus regen? Because the sentinels get a few centering boosts which the shii-cho form uses to regenerate focus, along with reducing the cost(sort of) of slash/blade storm.

Vigilance > Focus

Sure lolsweep will do a lot of damage...but vigilance guardians played well flat out own them...I lol with my 18/23 jugg everytime some lolsweep Jedi leaps to me and watches his super buffed one talent wonder build blow it's wad for 2k when I hit saberward before he gets his sweep off. They almost cry on the screen...then I force choke-> ravage->push->leap->force scream->impale->execute and they are either running or dead...

If you go sentinel...go combat or watchman....seriously you'll thank me later....

Edited by planet_J