Imperial Agents going Light Side?

Malleable

Then there was the story on tatooine where the girl helps you, I couldn't kill her, I let her go.

Same here. Simply put, my Agent sees herself as a true professional; when she gives her word to a contact or asset, she keeps it regardless of what the Sith might want. After all, who would ever want to become an asset for the Sith Empire if you knew they'd kill you for it, out of convenience? So if I've told the asset that I'll protect her in exchange for information, I won't just kill her once I have it. Conversely, there are a few missions where your Sith contact is the RATIONAL one, while the alternative is often some sort of racist (anti-alien) military type who wants you to throw away a potential asset for no reason.

So really, what it boils down to is that in a lot of cases, there are basically two choices: the "rational" one that corresponds to the actions of a sensible profesional, and a clearly irrational alternative. Sometimes the former is Light and the latter is Dark (the irrational choice being cruelty just for the heck of it), sometimes it's reversed (where the Light choice involves helping your enemies for no reason). This is why it makes no sense to dedicate yourself to a pure-Light or pure-Dark strategy; as I mentioned before, there's not enough internal consistency to do so.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a LS sniper and find it works very well. It makes no sense to my character to go around slaughtering everyone who could be an asset. I also have very high affection from Kaliyo because I like to piss off the Sith. When I got Vector, I mostly ditched Kaliyo. Vector loves everything I do, and he was easier to have around. He's not as funny unless you find ants hilarious.

I also have a LS BH and that's worked well too. You can double cross everyone and then collect the reward from both your intended mark and your client.

LS Inquisitor has been odd. Most of the dialog choices are still on the evil side, but you can choose to spare people for potentially more power or something... I haven't gotten as far along the story with this one.

Light vs. dark is not a morality issue.

Light = no emotion, rational

Dark = full of emotion

If Jedi followed their mantra not to be emotional at all, they'd be long extinct - or clones.

Light vs. Dark is entirely a morality issue because those mantras establish the mores that each Force-using tradition prescribes to govern behavior. That Jedi in particular rarely abide by theirs (because it's just not possible to follow strictly, as you suggest) is irrelevant. Force traditions shape morality and, essentially, religion in the game/in-universe, as is clear to anyone who's met Darth Jadus or Revanites.

Your descriptions of Light and Dark often don't correspond well to the ostensibly Light and Dark choices in the game, either, in which , as others point out, you'd have to be an irrational caricature of a Light- or Dark-Sider to make one or the other of the given selections. Certainly the supposedly Light-Side choice in the IA's dilemma at the end if Act I is not the detached option...not at all.

So really, what it boils down to is that in a lot of cases, there are basically two choices: the "rational" one that corresponds to the actions of a sensible profesional, and a clearly irrational alternative. Sometimes the former is Light and the latter is Dark (the irrational choice being cruelty just for the heck of it), sometimes it's reversed (where the Light choice involves helping your enemies for no reason). This is why it makes no sense to dedicate yourself to a pure-Light or pure-Dark strategy; as I mentioned before, there's not enough internal consistency to do so.

Well put.

As silly as BioWare's presentation of L vs D is in many cases, though, I have to say that MustardPunk makes a really good point about surprised NPC reactions to merciful Light-Side choices. It was a nice touch to suggest through NPC responses that LS Imps' efforts to make the Empire just a bit less insane through occasional compassion are not always in vain.

that stupid girl disagrees with everything i do ><

Okay that means you are loyal, helpfull and nice to people you talk to. And you dont ask for personal gains/advantages, dont give sarcastic answers to superiors/sith etc.

You should send Kalyo away in conversations if you want to keep affection with her and still stay true to those choices in conversations.

Also playing light side IA. The only thing I have seen is that I got a quest reward for a color crystal that I couldn't use because I was light side. The upside is, it was BOE so it wasn't totally wasted!

I really enjoyed playing light side with this class.

I play Light Side and kept Kaliyo out as my primary companion up through Taris, when you get Lokin who is just plain better, mechanically.

I had zero problems with keeping Kaliyo happy and staying true to the light side. It's much, much, much simpler than people are making it out to be--I only ever sent her out on one mission to avoid losing affection, and that was the end of the Nar Shaddaa bonus series where you choose to deliver the threat/peace/blackmail message. I took a few -1s, of course, but getting +15 with her is easy, even with staying light side.

That said, I picked some dark side options over the course of the thing. I don't know what my storyline alignment is any more because of Diplomacy, but I believe I'd be sitting at ~5k Light, ~500 Dark by now (With Diplomacy it's 9898 LS, 1349 dark).

The secret to Kaliyo for me was Firefly. When I started thinking of my dude as Mal and Kaliyo as Jane, it just clicked and the conversation responses became easy as hell.

I went full light side with a few hiccups when I was in a bad mood and just wanted someone to die. It's always hilarious how upset my buddies got when I let NPCs live and such haha. The other cool thing about light side is that I found a pretty decent red blaster rifle on the trade network that requires light side only :)

after

receiving extensive brain damage

my little smurfette with a gun has..episodes. but thats cool. Vector can just do some light side diplomacy missions and wipe my slate clean. And he still doesn't figure out why i suddenly send him back on the ship and grab kaleiyo when theres someone at my mercy in front of me :cool:

I am Dark II, but lately have just made choices that just seem to make the most sense. I tend to make light side choices when dealing with innocents/non combatants or if it is for the good of the Empire (Vector approves). And dark if it will punish a Sith who is being stupid (one comes to mind in Taris). Edited by JonEightTwoEight

Mine is a "greater good" agent. She's full light in her choices, as her motivation is the desire to see order in the galaxy, as without order she believes all would fall to chaos and misery. She despises lawlessness and criminals. She sees the empire as being the most efficient and therefore most practical vehicle to bring about order. She resents the sith and their love of wanton destruction, and is crafty in the way she defies them. After learning early in her career in can be quite dangerous to have direct confrontations with sith lords, she avoids outright defiance but stands her ground tactfully. Edited by Akash

After leveling a Sith Assassin to 50 and being Steve Jobs incarnate, I decided to try something new, created a Sniper (lvl 23 atm), named her Harmony and decided to go full light side. Kaliyo isn't very happy when I don't kill people, but fortunately I only lose like 1 point of affection.

I wish it was possible to change looks when you get more light points, like Sith corruption.

Mine is mostly light, but Im playing him as a double agent. I choose what benefits most the people subjugated by the Empire. I have a lot of simpathy for non human races and slaves, being alien myself (Rattataki). I also must be respectful to Siths and my Keepers to not blow my cover. Im far from being redeemed because of my actions, but one day I will find the perfect opportunity to change the direction of the Empire into a government who suits more the needs of the people of the Empire.

Either way, history will always remember me as an assasin and a tool who died at the service of the Siths, because if everything goes well no one should know who is pulling the strings behind a new government.

Lightside here. I think I'm Light III at Level 46.

I was able to choose all the Light options. I kept Kaliya happy by talking smack all the time. Then, when push came to shove, I'd always choose the the Light options.

Me: "You all are a bunch of helpless losers who deserve an immediate and painful death!" (Kaliya +15)

NPC: "Please let us go!"

Me: "Oh... okay... since you asked nicely." (Light 50; Kaliya -1)

Doesn't matter any more. SCORPIO is my one true love.

Edited by Yozbick

Wow, I read all 8 pages of this post and it seems like most went Light. My first character was a Sith Warrior, pure Light all the way to end game. I have a smuggler that’s pure light too but I only play that character with my brother (which is rarely ever). Once I first seen the pets I was excited about the Interrogation Droid because it flies, but when I noticed that only Dark III can get it all the rest of my alts are now pure dark just because I want that pet, lol. My IA and SI were Dark III by level 25 and my BH at level 24 because of Diplomacy. I actually felt bad about several of the choices I made because a lot of innocent characters died, but if there were Dark points available I chose it.

Khem Val is pretty easy to be Dark with for the SI. Kaliyo loves my IA, lol. My IA is at level 34 and Kaliyo’s affection is at 5806. Mako makes it a bit difficult to be Dark with the BH, so I usually have to dismiss her during some conversations. I’m glad that I finally got my BH’s second companion because Mako was starting to make me mad, lol. My Sith Warrior being light got married to Vette and her affection is maxed out. In most cases I pick the options that benefit the companion’s affection. I usually back out of the stories and re-click on the NPCs several times to see which dialog options reward affection points.

The only reason why I came across this post is because I just finished Chapter 1 for the IA and I passed up my first Dark Side option. ((SPOILER)) I didn’t side with Darth Jadus because I didn’t know if it would cause the death of Watcher 2. I was looking on the Internet to see if anyone did side with Darth Jadus and how it affects the story, but it looks like most go Light with IA. It must be frustrating going Light with Kaliyo.