Personality

Dhaenon

Hello all,

I've tried playing the Republic side a few times but I always feel that you have two choices for personality... you are either a super duper good guy, or a complete ******. I would like my Jedi consular to be a good guy, that sometimes loses control. Is that even possible? I haven't played very far but I remember watching my friend right in the beginning during the Beta. He had three choices and for fun we tried them all and they were like ...

"Of course I will help" Tee hee super good!

"Could you explain this in more detail?" Neutral response is sort of uhhh nothing

"Apparently I'm the only one who can do stuff around here" Uhh what? It wasn't dark.. it wasn't aggressive... it was just total douchebaggery.

I started a second Jedi, a Sith Pureblood, that I was playing as neutral. I only got through Coruscant, but I rerolled my consular like 3 times recently and realized I'm too tired of leveling through the same planets and same story so many times and didn't get far. That said, I found that for the most part I was able to play a convincing Gray Jedi.

Super duper good guy would be my current consular. I've only made a few dark side choices, mostly light side, and I feel so goody two shoes it ain't even funny. However yes, you can tone that down by exercising some more pragmatism and taking a grimmer outlook on what's better for the Republic instead of "what would make me feel good about myself".

On my Pureblood consular, I would head over to torhead.com and check out the affection gains on mission conversations for Qyzen. For the most part that'll keep you light side, but like Qyzen, my pureblood valued honor, and not so much "good". She disliked weakness, and preferred to encourage others to find their own strength, only helping when it was for the good of the Republic. After all, you're on a mission for the Jedi Council already, no time to run menial errands for lazy people, right?

But I'm getting carried away. You can play a convincing Consular. Mine right now is pretty goody two shoes, but she's believable, and even she loses her cool and gets mad sometimes. Take dialogue choices that feel -right- for the character, and not simply because they feel "light side", because this game's notion of Light Side has gone from "don't let your emotions control you" to "risk blowing the whole mission because your bleeding heart would shrivel up and die if you left even one civilian behind because you don't have time to save them AND save the Republic military right now, because YOUR EMOTIONS CONTROL YOU."

My sage makes prolific use of force persuade. I use it whenever I have the chance. She's also killed two people (got dark side points but oh well) because leaving them alive was too dangerous. She gets short-tempered when somebody is jerking her around and wasting her time. She doesn't like to get sidetracked into stuff that somebody can't do for themselves, she's a busy person, it better be important. But she's still good, she's still kind, she's pushing Light IV at level 37.

Edited by eldefail

I would like my Jedi consular to be a good guy, that sometimes loses control. Is that even possible?

There are opportunities. The one that first springs to mind is that you are always given the chance to show mercy to a defeated foe. Perhaps your consular takes betrayal very badly and offs all of your opponents. Also pre-battle conversations with enemies often have a "Shut up and die" option. You are generally not going to go ballistic at the general populace of quest givers - the consular is mystical and intellectual so his unfriendly choices with those characters will be more in the realm of "I can't believe how simple-minded you are"

During act 1 on Coruscant there are many times I chose the dark side response, or the "shut up and give me what I came for" response, or even the "I MUST SAVE YUON" *attack* option. My consular is now finishing up Taris and is still neutral (800 ls). Sometimes my character's responses result in a quick tongue lashing on patience and whatnot.

You can definitely be pragmatic or even have your vices and still be good. How many of these choices are acknowledged by the story is another discussion entirely, as the Consular story is loaded with continuity issues and an overall lack of polish.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a reason my Consular is "Alylia the Honorable" and not "Alylia the Pure." Some of the answers you can give as a Lightsider fall into the "Good is not Nice" category. I've also done a handful of Dark Side actions. I still balance out at high Light, but there are a couple of headless Sith that did not take the offer of arrest, a couple dead traitors, and some questionable scientific research salvaged instead of burnt.

Mind you, the "Good is not nice" options are usually the only way to get anywhere with Zenith. Some of them are great ways to score points with Qyzen, especially if it means destroying someone dangerous who will kill again. Tharan believes knowledge is morally neutral, even if the methods to get the knowledge were distasteful, so he will approve of you taking the notes for a WMD and delivering them to the Republic instead of destroying the weapons and the notes.

Felix and Nadia are the guys to watch. They're impossible to influence if you're Dark Side, but all but eat out of your hand if you're light-sided and Republic-loyal.

Hello all,

I've tried playing the Republic side a few times but I always feel that you have two choices for personality... you are either a super duper good guy, or a complete ******. I would like my Jedi consular to be a good guy, that sometimes loses control. Is that even possible? I haven't played very far but I remember watching my friend right in the beginning during the Beta. He had three choices and for fun we tried them all and they were like ...

"Of course I will help" Tee hee super good!

"Could you explain this in more detail?" Neutral response is sort of uhhh nothing

"Apparently I'm the only one who can do stuff around here" Uhh what? It wasn't dark.. it wasn't aggressive... it was just total douchebaggery.

From what I've seen simplistic LS/DS options tends to be the trend for Force users on both sides, probably because those kinds of choices have the most relevance for them 'in universe' wise.

Trooper and Smuggler have it a bit better, with LS being along the lines of 'loyal servant of the republic' and 'kind hearted rogue' instead of 'pompous ***', and DS being more 'sometimes unpleasant things have to be done for the greater good' and 'Hey, I have to look out for myself, nobody else will.' rather than 'violent pompous ***'.

There are always exceptions though.

Edited by jovianus

Personally,

I try to play my Consular along the lines of a LS ********.

There are plenty of non-darkside options (neutral even) that allow you to do this.

I particularly enjoy the ******: "Sounds dangerous, I'll handle it." or "A little challenge is no concern to me."

I typically won't go with the ultra-douche responses like: "There's incompetency, then there's YOU people." responses, but I have no problem whatsoever telling one of the villains to stick it somewhere unpleasant as opposed to the token LS trying to talk it out.

Would a broader range be appreciated - sure.

But then we're playing a Jedi, not a Smuggler so I guess what we've been given suffices for now.