New guy - need advice!

Szabofly

I've allways been a pvp dude, and now my friends have convinced me to try out swtor.

So i got a senti to lvl 20, but realised that scrappers seemed like alot more fun. Thus i got a lvl 20 scrapper aswell now.

But i can't decide!

Senti - i've heard they are inanely good in endgame pvp, with high damage and mobility

Scrappers - all i hear about there guys are how terrible they are atm, with poor dmg output? (gotta say, at lvl 20... it's terrible)

but i've also watched quite a few pvp vids with vanguards... looks like fun.

Here's the question:

which one of sent/vanguard/scrapper should i pick? like big numbers and adrenaline playstyle... any tips?

which one got best pvp dmg output?

Go marauder.... if you like fast paced action and high damage output that's the way to go.

Operatives become only viable in rated PvP when healing even though they can be a very fun class to play as DPS. Vanguards are kinda linear... very simple rotations in their most viable spec (pyro) even though they can also be very fun to play as AP or an AP hybrid. If you ever plan on being competitive pyro is the way to go and it's a little boring.

Marauders are always in the action.... one of the more fun classes to play and slightly more complex than most classes which keeps that high energy feeling going.

Vanguards and marauders both have amazing damage output. I would say vanguard slightly higher than marauder on average but marauders have more survivability. Operatives/scoundrel has some mean initial burst but lacks sustainded damage.

Edited by UGLYMRJ

I've allways been a pvp dude, and now my friends have convinced me to try out swtor.

So i got a senti to lvl 20, but realised that scrappers seemed like alot more fun. Thus i got a lvl 20 scrapper aswell now.

But i can't decide!

Senti - i've heard they are inanely good in endgame pvp, with high damage and mobility

Scrappers - all i hear about there guys are how terrible they are atm, with poor dmg output? (gotta say, at lvl 20... it's terrible)

but i've also watched quite a few pvp vids with vanguards... looks like fun.

Here's the question:

which one of sent/vanguard/scrapper should i pick? like big numbers and adrenaline playstyle... any tips?

Right now I have the most fun on my dps operative (scrapper). They aren't welcome in most rated groups because there is pretty much a "perfect group" that teams like to roll with. Rated's are an organized stunfest anyway (boring for me) and aren't worth the wait to get a match.

If you want fun for open world pvp and the most common WZ pvp (non rated) then you will enjoy scrapper.

But. Big numbers and fast play... go Rage/Focus Jugg/Guardian. It will probably be nerfed soon, but anyway, you get to leap all over the place (even to friendly targets to reduce damage they take). They also currently have the hardest hitting ability in game.

Boring play, but most damage = assault vanguard

Medium fun play and pretty good damage = sentinel

Funniest to play (strategically), most utility, but more demanding play in order to keep a high sustained damage = scoundrel scrapper

Edited by Veniras

Boring play, but most damage = assault vanguard

Medium fun play and pretty good damage = sentinel

Funniest to play (strategically), most utility, but more demanding play in order to keep a high sustained damage = scoundrel scrapper

OP I say try all of those, only way to know for sure what floats your boat.

Doesn't hurt to have a few sitting around either in case you get bored with one and need to rotate, or want to know how they do what they do so you can counter better with another toon.

thanks for all the tips guys... i think ill go with the scoundrel... seems like alot of fun later on :) but i doubt they'll fix the class since all i've read about the last year's patches is nerfs nerfs nerfs...

and i gotta say, as i level my scoundrel with my vanguard mate... it's annoying that he can solo 2 elites while i have trouble surviving one :o (at lvl 20)

thanks for all the tips guys... i think ill go with the scoundrel... seems like alot of fun later on :) but i doubt they'll fix the class since all i've read about the last year's patches is nerfs nerfs nerfs...

and i gotta say, as i level my scoundrel with my vanguard mate... it's annoying that he can solo 2 elites while i have trouble surviving one :o (at lvl 20)

lvl 40 is when the fun really begins. You may want to roll healer until then. It will make things go a lot easier for you while getting to 40. Oh and your van friend will be a happy camper.

lvl 40 is when the fun really begins. You may want to roll healer until then. It will make things go a lot easier for you while getting to 40. Oh and your van friend will be a happy camper.

Well will i ever be able to compete with the singletarget dps of a sentinel? ^^

Well will i ever be able to compete with the singletarget dps of a sentinel? ^^

No, but if you did the same single target DPS as a Sent, why would anyone ever play a Sent, when they could play a class with stealth, and the option of healing?

The fun of an OP/Scoundrel isn't in the scoreboard, it's in all the time you get to spend sneaking around, and the value you can bring to a team (and annoyance to your opposition) by sneaking around.

Or healing... their healing surpasses a Sent's single target DPS.

No, but if you did the same single target DPS as a Sent, why would anyone ever play a Sent, when they could play a class with stealth, and the option of healing?

The fun of an OP/Scoundrel isn't in the scoreboard, it's in all the time you get to spend sneaking around, and the value you can bring to a team (and annoyance to your opposition) by sneaking around.

Or healing... their healing surpasses a Sent's single target DPS.

Yeh, i realise it wouldn't be fair... hopefully i'll match Shadow dps though ^^ But one problem with scrapper (or so it seems to me) is when he's blown his cover and used his opener on a target... he's stuck unstealthed with no energy. Which means he'll be useless until he's recovered energy and gotten out of combat to restealth? :o or am i missing something?

You eventually get a skill to exit combat and go into stealth.

If you want single target DPS though, I think marauder or assassin would both be more your flavor.

Just plan to get all the classes eventually. :)

But i dont get that... isn't assassin a stealther too? why does that one have better dps than scoundrel? Wouldn't that just make scoundrel a worse version of assassin?

If you wanna easy and dumb kill all what moving - go vanguard.

If you wanna kill all what moving with challenge and plenty efforts - go sentinel.

If you wanna what all what moving kill you (if you out of stealth) - go scoundrel :D

If you wanna easy and dumb kill all what moving - go vanguard.

If you wanna kill all what moving with challenge and plenty efforts - go sentinel.

If you wanna what all what moving kill you (if you out of stealth) - go scoundrel :D

Don't you make me change my mind and reroll a Vanguard now :D

Lets see fly across the battle field wrecking havoc on the opposition or running around in stealth always trying to catch up. The sent will do better in all warzones while the scrapper will only do well where you have to guard specific points due to the lack of movement.

Lets see fly across the battle field wrecking havoc on the opposition or running around in stealth always trying to catch up. The sent will do better in all warzones while the scrapper will only do well where you have to guard specific points due to the lack of movement.

And the vanguard? I've heard they got just as much burst as scrappers? :o and much better dps

This is grossly underrated seeing as these classes are the most rooted / knocked back / snared in the game.

More like standing still waving lightsabers like pom poms :p

And the vanguard? I've heard they got just as much burst as scrappers? :o and much better dps

Play the class you want, but I'll tell you right now unless you run the tactics spec you will not feel rewarded by playing vanguard.

The class has little skill involved. You have your burst rotation, stuns and taunts obviously but once you get focused you cannot do a thing.

Other classes like guardian / scoundrel can out play their opponents and feel much better; such as guardian leaping out of a smash, cloaking out at the right time, popping dodge when you hear the vanguard / powertech laugh so they miss rail shot.

You really can't outplay a class on PT/ vanguard. You just kite the best you can and do your rotation, it's kill or be killed. That's why the burst is so high, it literally has no maneuverability when in a pinch unless you go Tactics / AP.

But i dont get that... isn't assassin a stealther too? why does that one have better dps than scoundrel? Wouldn't that just make scoundrel a worse version of assassin?

They don't per se. Assassin dps is just easier to play than scoundrel dps and more forgiving of errors.

A well-played scoundrel is -ing deadly.

They don't per se. Assassin dps is just easier to play than scoundrel dps and more forgiving of errors.

A well-played scoundrel is -ing deadly.

Hmm, ye so they say... but all vids i've been watching of scoundrel/vanguard/shadows... vanguard/shadow ABILITIES hit alot harder... doubt skill will change that fact :(

Hmm, ye so they say... but all vids i've been watching of scoundrel/vanguard/shadows... vanguard/shadow ABILITIES hit alot harder... doubt skill will change that fact :(

Our preferred playstyle might differ. In that case i recommend combat sentinel.

Yeah assault vanguard (and focus sentinel) put up the big numbers. But ye gods, are they BORING to play.

Combat sentinel is fun enough. But you have limited options regarding thing you wanna do strategically. And your'e limited to only dps-ing

I guess I'm more a stealther/utility/strategy-kinda guy. Hence, scoundrel (or shadow)