Assassin or Marauder?

MikeFL

Hey all, I'm thinking about starting a new class but I'm torn. Recently I have been doing some missions with my friend, who has an Assassin. He is relatively new to SWTOR so I was helping him out. Watching him play his assassin looked really fun, and I got interested in making one. However, I already have a Sorcerer leveled to 50, and I am hesitant to make another Inquisitor when there are other class stories, such as the Sith Warrior, that I haven't seen. I have a Jedi Guardian, so if I made a SW, I would likely choose Marauder as the AC.

Given this, what would you recommend? Marauder and SW class story, or is the Assassin THAT good that its worth replaying the Inq storyline? (If it matters, I LOVED the storyline for the Inquisitor, it was great. I might feel weird going through it again when there are others I've not yet seen).

Edited by MikeFL

Well, that would obviously depend on what exactly you are set out to do. I assume since you plan to choose between Marauder and Assassin you are into DPSing. I tend to agree to the previous post that the Assassin lacks a bit in endgame DPS (though I am only playing as a Shadow), but I guess I manage to hold my own. Still if you aim for NiM-ops you might want to consider that.

The gameplay is amazingly different though: the Assassin is a sneaky one, plays rather slow, controlled. You are not "in the midst of it", you pick your fights carefully and burst them down.

The Marauder is just the opposite: charge and go forward. It plays much more aggressively, you are always on the move and the story is also quite alright, at least I liked it.

That's at least my impression/interpretation of the classes. :)

Go with the feeling, start the one you want more and start the other later if you have the ache still. As for the same class... you will prolly get "**** this again" feeling at some point, but for me it was mostly with the planet missions not class ones.

As mara you can carve path of destruction, but you also have to "carve path of destruction"... with assa you can choose the fights you want (more or less), Assa dps is fun trough the game and the parse talk ppl whine about comes in to play if you go hm or nim 55ops (and maybe not even then if ure uber good with ur class)

Also if you planning to go co-op with your pal, i would choose a different class and role...

Edited by Fazaani

Sith Warrior so far has a fun story (unless you have a weakness for resistance fighters and the like, I ran away from Balmorra myself as soon as I could). Melee DPS is a pain in the butt to play, but if it is the only character you are playing it's not so bad, and it is a very flashy style with a lot of cool animations, glows and sparks. The companion cast sucks, but that's probably better if you are a male player. Edited by DomiSotto

Assassin can be harder at first, especially alone when you lack heals until hoth, iirc. Whereas with marauder, you get heals on balmorra. I've seen both classes mow things down in groups for pve. I've also been a sin a tank, and love it.

in my case, all my characters are non-sensitives.

I'm willing to make a new jedi or sith for the first time. But i'm conflicted about making a juggernaut\guardian or shadow\assassin. I'm trying to decide based on what ppl say.

With the shadow\assasin, as far as i know, you must be a average to good player, and still you wouldn't input a big treat to other classes (assuming that those players have the same level as you). But i hope i'm wrong...

in my case, all my characters are non-sensitives.

I'm willing to make a new jedi or sith for the first time. But i'm conflicted about making a juggernaut\guardian or shadow\assassin. I'm trying to decide based on what ppl say.

With the shadow\assasin, as far as i know, you must be a average to good player, and still you wouldn't input a big treat to other classes (assuming that those players have the same level as you). But i hope i'm wrong...

Speaking of PvE right now, the assassin dps is the worst of all. You need to play it perfectly to just be a bit better than an average sniper or marauder.

Both classes are very viable for SM ops content, but you will have to really make a name for yourself if you want to be accepted into HM/NiM content groups.

As for the actual rotation, neither deception nor madness are particularly tough. But you will have to watch your procs with deception, so you can't pick your nose while dpsing like you can with other classes.

You do need to have a better than average proficiency in the game techniques to play a Force User class without a perma-group. I started the game with a Consular, Smuggler and IA, and I was blown away by how much easier shooters were. Since then, I play Seer in a perma-group (with a Guardianl), have no problems with a Smuggler (erm, mostly) and play Marauder instead of IA for now.

My Consular was Balanced at first, and it was neither here, nor there. Whenever I ended up on my own, it was a slow, tedious gameplay. Now, my gameplay is based on the: "Yeah, yeah, Evil Boss X, bet you didn't count on me bringing the big guy along. Hon?" Then I ran in the corner and start healing with an occasional offensive spell. I presume that the same would apply to the mirror class. Not exactly the blood-pressure rising gameplay I have on a Mara. Nor the steady and smooth sailing on a Smuggler. Come, see, shoot, onward.

I have read up on the FU Tanks, and the play seems to be awesome if and only if you put brains and full attention to it. Hence, I am not planning to try one, until I am much more mobile and learn to stack and use procs much better one more forgiving DPS characters. I am not tempted to play a Telekinetic DPS at all after trying Balance on Consular. Which sucks because I planned two Inquisitors, because I am interested in the LS/DS and male/female sides of the story.

Double-suck, too, because I played magic users for years and years. Bards, Druids, Priests were my favs, and Consulars in KOTORs.

Edited by DomiSotto

I'm just going to be the guy who is going to tell you the honest-to-god truth and end this thread,

Marauder, on a technical level (also one can argue on a story level) is the most powerful class in the game at the moment.

Assassin is one of the weakest and clearly broken of all the classes. It has been for i think the past 5 or 6 patches.

They are also not hard to play at all.

No class is exceptionally hard, this game was designed for ages 13+, whoever thinks they are special because they are playing a "harder" class is a douche-bag.

Die hard assassin players will tell you it's the hardest class to play because they are indeed weather they realize it or not, playing the weakest class (hence the hardest in they're minds so they think they are better human beings some how, video game elitism is so dumb)

Edited by Chembox

I play both (Sentinel and Shadow) and can say they are completely different styles. I love playing them equally.

Sentinel/Mara is a much faster style of play with almost endless hitting as their resources are designed to to build up and inflict massive amounts of damage over a prolonged period of time. You have to be on top of your cool downs constantly and know which ones should take priority at any given moment. Mastery of the class depends on knowing how to prioritize them. You could literally go on damage dishing forever and never really run out of resources since you can build it back up in a matter of slashes. They have IMO the best closing skill in the game (force leap) which is shared with Guardian. And some of the best single hit DPS skills in the game Precision Slash + Blade Strom and Master Strike.

Shadow/Sin is much more of a cloak and dagger style of gameplay (if you play infiltration). They are designed to be in stealth nearly all of the time and sneak in from behind to deal a killing blow. The vast majority of their DPS comes in the first couple of strikes and their resources are quickly depleted. So DPS comes in high peaking spikes rather than in gentle waves like the Sentinel. There isn't a whole lot to manage so IMO it's a lot easier to play than Sentinel.

Another difference about their game play is that Sentinels are fast and very mobile. They move around the battlefield like a f-22 raptor. They can disappear for a few seconds and be right on top of you the next dealing blow after blow. Shadows on the other hand are more of the hit and run type fighter. They will pop in from nowhere and land devastatingly hard blows with everything they got and then disappear again to do the same thing over again to you until you are dead.

Edited by chosonman