Commando or Scoundrel healers?

asegaimar

I'm torn between the two classes. I have 11 scoundrel and 8 commando that I plan to make healers/utility. Which to choose? I really like the playstyle of the scoundrel but don't like all of the skills/keys to be mapped. I like the abilities but there are so many to be used. Its silly, but I also don't like the demeanor of the dialogue for scoundrel. Its entertaining but I cant get into it. I like the commando but I really miss cover and the quickness of the scoundrel kills. I got to 11 before I even left the planet. However, I'm just eight on the commando. I DO like the dialogue on him.

How do these play at higher levels? How are they different? I like support but I'm not a 'power gamer' who will map extra keys or has a fancy mouse. Casual player just wanted to have fun and help people with heals and cc.

Shadrir

Both are effective in the endgame, but both play completey different. Don't let anyone tell you different!

Commando can be a little easier to lvl because all of your companions use the same primary stat as you their all +aim, and + end. only the degree to which you stack them is different, so your tank companions you'd like to stack more +end than + aim. but not really that important while lvling just give them your hand me downs and they should do fine.

For scoundrel all of your comps get different equipment, some are cunning like yourself, some use strength etc.

so it might be a bit more involved keeping your companions kitted up to your lvl. but not impossible. most of the rewards for side missions are companion gear anyway.

The cover mechanic for me is the biggest factor. (i'm a clickety clicker and i just do fine, again don't let anyone convince you, that you have to be a key binder to be effective.) I've stalled with my scoundrel healer at lvl 31 end of chapter 2 just because i'm not sure if i'm liking it.

I have a commando he's dps spec mind you but i started him after my healer and he's already at lvl 50 because i'm more comfortable with the play style.

In the end is up to you do you want to be crouching behind rocks all the time, or do you want to be upright?

I don't mind the crounching. In fact, I like not getting hit. It seems strange on my commando to just stand there and take damage after playing the scoundrel. However, Nearly both of my bars are full on the scoundrel and I'm just eleven. whereas things are simpler so far on my commando. I'll see how things go. I heard that scoundrel is a rare class. I don't see why so far. They seem fairly easy except for the number of abilities to manage. I like that novelty but I like the 'feel' of the commando class and story for me. Im leaning commando right now and I will take him up to at least the level of my scoundrel.

I would apprecialte any tips for either of the classes.

Scoundrel is not a rare class. My favorite class in this game is scoundrel. I love the Stealth, the Crowd Control abilities, the healing, the combat resurrection capabilities and everything else. I find that Scoundrels are very versatile in their game play being able to give great DPS, or great healing. Don't let anyone scare you away from playing a Scoundrel, they are way fun to play.

Commandos are a lot of fun as well. They have DPS that is really awesome, and some neat tricks during combat that make playing the class fun as well. They have some awesome looking armor, and one of the coolest companions in the game. Also they have big guns.

My advice would be to play them both. Over time you will learn the play style of each, and figure out which you like best.

I have both scoundrel and commando healers. I prefer the commando myself. I find that I don't really use cover on the scoundrel when healing group content. Bosses tend to use high damage AOE and you need to stay on the move to avoid it.

The nicest thing about the Scoundrel is that when playing in groups, you have a droid CC that you can spam in-combat, and you also have an out-of-combat tranq for human NPCs that you can use from stealth.

As a healer, it's a bit of busy work, and you can get overwhelmed by lots of AOE damage, but for straight single target sustained healing it's the best class in game at the moment. After I maxed out my Sorc, I now miss the fact that I have no mitigation powers at all on the Scoundrel, but the higher single target HP/sec makes up for it, more or less. You also have superior sustained energy management compared with the cast healers; as long as you know your rotation, you should basically never run out of energy.

I never use stealth in heal spec, except when I have to CC something. And I can't remember the last time I saw the cover bar, because I never, ever use it.

And every class in the game is overloaded with far too many abilities anyway, so none will save you from that problem.

Edited by Heezdedjim

Commando, stop and cast big heals. Heavy armor, strong AoE damage

Scoundrel, mobile, instant heal over time. Medium armor, slip in scatter shot to the back, and slip out.

play what you like more..

I have a 50 commando healer and 50 operative (imp version of scoundrel) healer. I prefer operative healing as i like to move around alot.

Do whatever is more fun for you.

I only have a scoundrel. I embraced his mercenary ways and am enjoying his ride deep into the dark side. Darkside heals FTW!!! :rak_03:

Also, I love the stealth. It's great for quests when you have killed N/N targets and want to avoid the rest. And when the &@ hits the fan, it's nice to be able to go Disappearing Act and get out of harms way.

Edited by ButteredSoul

I have several healing characters. Sage/Sorc, Mercenary (Imperial version of the Commando) and my Scoundrel.

Out of these the Scoundrel has grown on me. Just got her to level 41 and she is a blast to play. She reminds me a lot of my old WoW Druid. Lots of HoT's, big instant heals and big heals for which you do have to stop walking. Just got my AOE heal at level 40. Which is again a HoT.

Compared to my other healers who play a lot more like WoW's Priest / Paladin. I like the mobility of the Scoundrel. For solo as well. Stealth is a big bonus while questing. Easy to bypass mobs you don't want to kill. Very good CC and if the brown stuff starts to hit the fan. You can disappear from combat :)

Energy management is key. On my Sage I've run out of Force on long fights. On my Scoundrel I've been ok everytime so far. Diagnostic scan may not heal for much, but talented it's a quick energy recharge next to your 2 energy boost abilities.

Haven't played my Merc in awhile. but that one is all about standing still and cast big heals if I remember correctly :)

Edited by SandsOfArrakis