Will TESO / ESO kill this game?

Ginwtf

*sigh* Oh look... it's this thread again.

1. ESO seem like another GW2 or Diablo 3. *yawn* The lame animatronic characters, and the look n' feel or ES's single-play versions put me off way back when, as did the fantasy / dark ages genre represented therein.

2. Wildstar looks plain retarded. I have zero interest in that game.

3. Honestly, I've been playing SW:TOR since launch, and I'm still here. Guess what that means for me... BW must be doing something right, right?

4. Balancing my time between this game, real-life, girlfriends, that game, the girl next door (or in my case, a FWB a few floors up that I cheat on my GF with - lol), that other MMO, work, working out, friends, part-time schooling, partying, going out, having a life, having fun, playing live shows/concerts, making out with random chicks during my 'day game' adventures, vacationing, traveling..... jeebus kristofs -- I'm a busy guy and didn't realize it. LOL.

But yeah... the "MMO killer" / "WoW killer" thing has been asked and answered time and time again, and continues to, to this day. And, the answers are always the same. The MMOs that are doing things right will stay, for as long as their IP rights are valid, and keep earning enough to stay afloat. And, so far, there hasn't been any MMO killers affect games that are good or good enough. In the end, people will play what they enjoy the most. As for me, it's SW:TOR, FF:XIV, and EVE Online -- and that's enough for me.

This post right here made my day. You sir have an awesome life.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every MMO I have ever played has had these gloom and doom "here comes the <insert MMO> killer." Well I'm here to tell you that the closest any MMO came to killing another was WoW killing EQ1. And guess what, EQ1 is still up and running. And it is still expanding: they released that game's 20th expansion back in October.

I've personally bought myself a collector edition of ESO and if they've solved the crash issues some people have when it is released, I'll be playing it full time quite contently. At least for the first month. I've seen pvp footage of people taking keeps, I've played all the newbie areas personally - so I'll likely take my time within those! But it also allows me to make any race for any faction (something this game lacked when it first came out).

In order for SWTOR to survive new games coming out, they need to reduce the charges in the cartel market or reduce the cost to sub. The newer games are giving you more BANG for your buck; will likely continue to... and that means any existing game needs to adapt their system to compete - or lose players.

Am I gone for good? Only playing the "completed" game for a month will tell if I ever come back here for a time. Has it killed SWTOR? Unlikely. SWG survived 8 years - only thing that killed it was these 'lovely' people in EA whom couldn't handle some people liked a different Starwars MMO.

But because it's the only Starwars MMO that'll be standing, it'll stick around.

From what i heard TESO will be a ''fail''. yes it will have players. nad yes maybe we will loose players because of it. but i dont really think that it would take so many that it would effect your experience

No, ESO will not be a failure. Failures are determined by the capital support behind the game and the expectations of the playerbase. SWTOR would have been a failure if EA dropped its support for it and the playerbase completely abandoned it. None of these things happened, and none of these things will happen for Zenimax/Bethesda. Even if ESO only attracts 50% of Elder Scrolls fans, it will be a MASSIVE success.

I do agree with the second part of your quote regarding players leaving SWTOR for ESO. I don't think too many are going to completely leave one game for another. Save for fanboi syndrome, most people keep their current game going while they try out the new one. And in today's AAA mmo market, many now play more than one mmo (myself included). So yeah, I don't see much of an impact on SWTOR with the 2014 mmo releases.

In a word NO.

I played the ESO beta a few weeks back and I hated, and I have heard that from several people who played in that same beta. The character creator is awesome,no denying that. However, after that the game falls apart for me anyway. Not worth a subscription. I predict it will be free to play within 6 - 12 months. It will launch to huge numbers and then quickly fall off. It will have its hardcore player base, but the compromises they had to make to make it playable on the playstation and xbox are just to much to stomache for me. They compromised the gaming experience to put it on playstation and xbox. The game is simply not what people think it is going to be.

As for Wildstar, the jury is still out on that one I have not played it seen gameplay footage of it or really looked into it so I cannot really say much about that one.

Totally agree!!! I also hated my experience in the Beta. And as it's a mandatory subscription (for now), not worth my time or money.

Its not a prediction to say

" it will have huge numbers at launch then drop off a couple of months later"

Thats typical of every MMO in the last few years

Sadly we still define success in a MMO by how many play rather then personal enjoyment, and if TESO doesnt get over a few mil it wil be deemed a failure and everyone will move on to the next " wow killer"

Every game takes a hit when a new game comes out, but no game has ever killed another game

MMOs dont committ Murder, they only kill themselves

People will leave, some will come back, others wont.

Be happy and enjoy what you play

• 4 weeks later...
I think ESO will devolp very similar to SWTOR. The players will be much faster through the content than the develpoers expect (the first have already hit 50 there) and start soon to complain about the lack of end game. Many people will just be there for the 1-50 expirience anyway and also leave in a few month seeing no reason to keep a subscription for that game... and then ESO will eventually go f2p. Edited by Drudenfusz

It's interesting that I hear mainly 3 versions of why people don't like ESO.

One is the one you have (and it's the one given by most MMO players) and that is that it has been "dumbed down" for the consoles. The only thing that needs "dumbing down" for consoles is the controls, mapping 20+ moves to your PS4 controller is going to be stretching things a bit. If the Devs have dumbed anything else down to cater for the "less intelligent" console players, then they have just shot themselves in the foot

The second one is that it isn't enough like the single player versions of TES (mainly skyrim) and that it is "too much like an MMO".Which will annoy the heck out of TES fanboys but might attract those RPG players who didn't like TES format

The third one is that it Is too focused on PvP at the end-game. Overon the PvP forums that is the big reason why they all think it will KILL this game :rolleyes: However that is unlikely to be the case, I think I am on safe ground by saying the majority of players in MMORPGs are first PvE players and second PvP players. So if ESO focuses too much on PvP and not enough on PvE it will struggle

Also read people complain that the combat is clunky, but that may have been the earlier Beta versions (when apparently the graphics sucked as well).

So no I doubt ESO or Wildstar will kill ToR, just as GW2 didn't and just as ToR didn't kill WoW.

There have been 3 - 4 games that have been said to "kill" SWTOR, but none of them can, because it's a unique enough game to attract people, and as long as Bioware gets money, this game will be alive. It's already survived this long, I cant see how it cant survive with TESO, and Wildstar which arent even F2P, competing against it. The ONLY game that i can see that could kill this game is The Repopulation, which is a game still in Alpha, but it's supposed to be like SWG, cranked up to 11, and on crack.

I dont think eso will kill this game. I think eso will do alright if besthesda plays their cards right. Now first off ive never played any elder scrolls games. Ive watched my brother play skyrim on PS3 so based off my observations it seems like a single player dedicated game. Though it could integrate an mmo style by making quests group based im not real sure if that will appeal very well to the big fans of the series. Anyway back to my point of the elder scrolls games being single player. Thats one thing swtor didnt have much to worry about. Yes kotor and kotor 2 were single player but theyre old games. Now eso is going from a single player only game to an mmo. And that may or may not work with the different types of player playing the game.

Now for people playing this and the platform that they are playing on. I feel that the PC version will probably do better then consoles in the longrun. The consoles at launch will have the dedicated fans of the series as well as those kids who think that eso is just skyrim with multiplayer because they only know the series for skyrim. Those kids wil liely be gone after the first couple months. And the hardcore fans will either stay or leave based off how they feel about the game. The PC version will have more hardcore fans and mmo players who want to try the game. And like every other mmo the playerbase will start big then fall after the first month or so to the people who like the game. and it will probably do alright. But I dont think it will klll this game

As I've said before on other threads, no game (not SWTOR, not any other) can be endangered by other releases in the way you are thinking. If that were true, WoW and SWTOR would both be dead several times over. It may lower the population a bit, but nothing fatal.

Have existing MMOs suffered account losses when new MMOs come out? Yes. But, no MMO has ever directly "killed" any other.

I was surprised to learn that EQ1 released its 20th expansion recently. Granted, they release ten in the first five years so things have slowed radically, but even one of the first MMOs in existence was never "killed" by its most direct competition - the mother of all MMOs - WoW.

Even SWG is not "dead." Sure it was shutdown by its official owner, but it still exists in emu form.

Have existing MMOs suffered account losses when new MMOs come out? Yes. But, no MMO has ever directly "killed" any other.

I was surprised to learn that EQ1 released its 20th expansion recently. Granted, they release ten in the first five years so things have slowed radically, but even one of the first MMOs in existence was never "killed" by its most direct competition - the mother of all MMOs - WoW.

Even SWG is not "dead." Sure it was shutdown by its official owner, but it still exists in emu form.

That means its dead...

I have already uninstalled swtor after being here since release. Due to poor framedrops in Pvp combat most of the time and lack of end game content. (I mean, there are two raids in newest tier wich my guild has played every week for the last months) and now they decide they are doing one of them in nightmare. ***! It's been a great adventure being subscriber every month since release but ESO will take my time now. Doubt it will be THE NEW MMO but Swtor is now end of this book for me.

Keep telling yourself that and eventually maybe you will start to believe it.
He is entitled to his opinion ... he's just not entitled to kicking people who disagree, or the expectation of his opinion being accepted as unquestionable fact. We can live with that, just not sure he can.

I wouldn't put too much cred in an opinion that comes from a poster whose signature advertises a Refer-A-Friend link above a screen shot of their account being cancelled. First, why would anyone interested in something click on any link posted by someone who hates on it. Second, he hasn't cancelled or he wouldn't be here spewing fail. Which means either the screen is a fake or the account is a fake. Either way, simply report whatever's reportable. Otherwise walk away.

Edited by GalacticKegger