The reason why people leave.

IAAIAO

Hi,

I just canceled my subscription after a few months playing.

Started at the Beta, then left, then came out with a new account.

A few things had been fixed at this time so I decided to get in again.

I'm leaving swtor definitely, as many players, and I'm not doing this topic to drain attention or stuff, but to cast a new light on the community situation.

Comms limit has not been fixed despite the fact you promised to by the way. But that's not the point.

The problem with this game is the community, and this is a major issue when it's about MMORPGS.

You have a few categories of players here :

The nice ones, low profiling, helpful. 10%

The elitists acting like they came on this world with all the knowledge. 50% (yes the major part as newcomers leaving)

The pugs, not using them braincells when playing. 30%

The arrogant ones, thinking they're good because they've read strategies and numbers. 10%

It makes this game really bad and even though I've met some nice people, it was too much ******** for a long time player like me (Tabula Rasa, Swg, DAOC etc...).

So I've decided to leave after a content clear.

I'm just hoping that the community will get better for these staying. Good luck with that.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Commendationlimit will be changed at tuesday, and was allready changed from the first pts installment.

2. This game is gaining subs since september last year.

3. Why on earth cant anyone just go if he or she do not like the game or any aspect of it?

Edit: BEsides this, i would bet 1000$ that you have not cleared the content.

Edited by Eshmael

1. Commendationlimit will be changed at tuesday, and was allready changed from the first pts installment.

3. Why on earth cant anyone just go if he or she do not like the game or any aspect of it?

And it looks like you're one of those arrogant people he was referring to...this community does suck as does the game itself to be honest this game is very broken.

1.) Every game has been claiming "additional subscribers" for years. During "Monoclegate" for EvE Online, CCP claimed a "marked increase in subscriptions", when in reality there was the exact opposite (there was even a thread they locked two days later in which thousands of players said the exact opposite). No game says, "Yeah, we had a massive drop in subscriptions". You'll only hear something when there are positive numbers, and even then it doesn't mean much. You'll rarely see actual numbers being thrown about.

2.) People air grievances all the time, many not as a source of drama but more as a way to say, "Here's the reasons I'm leaving". I've done it before, and many times, the post contributes enough that the game changes (EvE Online, once again as my example, is changing and implementing many of the changes some of us *****ed and moaned for for years in order to keep us).

3.) Progression means something between "jack" and "****" when it comes to people quitting. I quit World of Warcraft during Wrath of the Lich King because I hated the way progression was set up. I didn't enjoy having dumbed-down raids for people to go through. I wanted a challenge, which Cataclysm gave me (thankfully!).

4.) In every "I'm leaving and here's why!" thread, I can count on bads like you to run in here and ***** about the OP, then flaunt your e-peen like it means something. I'd tell you to go get some sun, but considering you've probably been in mommy's basement for too long, you'd probably explode like a vampire.

I clicked on this thread hoping to find someone with some insights. I should have known. It's just another "I'm leaving!" thread with no insight whatsoever. Where did this guy come up with his percentages? There's no evidence they have anything to do with reality. He's making them up.

People complain too much about the "elites", some people do come off the wrong way yes but I've seen countless people who want their hand held through content or to be carried, all they expect is for you to carry your own weight especially if they are going to be sharing loot with you ( in FP and OPS cases).

Also a decent amount of the new players like to think they know everything also or don't care to learn, If I'm explaining to you for 10mins how CC works and why it is needed in our case to clear a certain heroic 4 you better listen because I'm not up for wiping countless times.

The best is however the people who don't understand the mechanics or even try to read up on them and blame others, I had a guy yelling at me because he thought I was healing a droid enemy or the people who can't seem to grasp that damage breaks CC ( Out of Combat CC) after I've told you 10 times not to hit the CC'd targets.

Point is that you will find these people in all shapes and sizes, new or old, this MMO or that MMO. The best you can do is join a good helpful guild (which you would be surprised to find out that a lot of them exist even some with "elites" who not only help but share their knowledge if you are willing)

Edited by Mymph

I couldn't respond earlier as I'm keeping getting logged out of the forums whenever I access it.

This is not a "I'm leaving" topic, just a way for me to express how much I am disappointed by the community.

For the insights, it's not worth providing feed-backs as I already gave a lot to this community (I've tried) and eventually got in these situations.

For the numbers, if you'd use your brain cells you'd know that it's just a way for me to visualize it.

For the "elites" thing, I was in a progression group so I was a part of this, but I never EVER acted like I was the ****, like I was born with all the knowledge, not accepting that people could learn in the process.

But that's what the others were doing, and that was the same **** everywhere else on the server.

People need to learn respect, especially in a social game.

Second I've seen a lot of cyber bullying, not on me but I've seen it almost every day, and sometimes it reaches a critical point.

Third, still no GMS online and no controls for minors, and this is unacceptable. I don't personally care bout x rated language and stuff but come on, you could be sued for that. Filters don't solve everything btw.

I appreciate the support otherwise.

PS : Yes I've cleared the whole content, on Imp side. Didn't up my alt on Pub side.

PS2 : Every games claim population increase, this is a public relationships (pr) stunt to comfort sharers. The market is really sensitive with announcements. This game has a general population decrease (asian servers closing, some european ones really low on the average) and the community is probably one of the reasons why.

I've never seen as many issues with people in other games lately.

Edited by IAAIAO

That might be that too, besides elitists growing their e peen.

Large percentage of F2Pers seem to be the complainer type, at least the loudest ones. The ones that complain about everything, even if they dont have to pay for it.

You have a few categories of players here :

The nice ones, low profiling, helpful. 10%

The elitists acting like they came on this world with all the knowledge. 50% (yes the major part as newcomers leaving)

The pugs, not using them braincells when playing. 30%

The arrogant ones, thinking they're good because they've read strategies and numbers. 10%

Eliticists and Arrogant Ones are usually those who actively defend "their game" so much that no-one shall enter it again. It's "their" game, and everyone else who enters is either

- a Newbie - and thus forgettable

- a Noob - and thus forgettable, too

and all that matters to them is their closed circles. They do not want "fresh blood" within the game !

It's like this : http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PanderingToTheBase

They might also fit into this category : http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FanDumb

I think that this is what the original poster *really* means.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

And it looks like you're one of those arrogant people he was referring to...this community does suck as does the game itself to be honest this game is very broken.

I am arrogant just because i do not believe he manges to do 8x 50-120h of story content to start with, in less then 2 weeks?!

Ok.

Op, Inq, Warrior. So no I didn't clear all of the stories but most of them and all the endgame but that's not the point.

Alrik that's exactly what I meant.

I just hope people will realize how much is the issue critical.

Just going to throw my two cents into the bucket here.

I have played a pretty wide range of mmo's over nearly two decades, and I can honestly say that SWTOR has one of the worst communities from an overall perspective I have ever seen. That is just going off the average of what I witness in General Chat only. I was somewhat staggered by it, having recently come from another smaller mmo that had a smaller, albeit, much tighter community. There, if someone was really a total ******, they would quickly get isolated from 95% of the endgame community. And the GM's would also personally log on at random times, which was something of a moderator system, randomly active yes, but just *knowing* that a GM could possibly be on and see what was being said in open chat, helped to tone down some peoples driving need to run wild with internet anonymity.

I have seen a lot of crap talk, epeen flaunting, and harassment in my years of playing mmo's, but really, SWTOR has taken the crown for having the most saturated amount of this kind of behavior I have *ever* seen. The only time that I do not see an average of 3-4 people spewing bile into general chat, is when I am on during the extremely late night and AM time ranges, the opposite of peak time for server population.

It really is horrible for anyone coming into the game who is expecting or hoping for something of a positive community to try and join. I'm not saying that there isn't some good people, and some good guilds, and therefor, some good social "inner circles" that exist, there certainly is. That is the issue though, those are within there own circles, the majority of those within good guilds, full of good people, likely turn general chat off ( and I cannot blame them in the slightest ) and likely use it as little as possible.

This leaves the average newcomer being assaulted in general chat by a near constant bombardment of appalling behavior without any real sort of moderating taking place, at all. This will give a very negative view of the overall community for those new players coming in who will see that as a representation of the majority and be unaware of how to really go about getting help or into a better social atmosphere without just outright leaving the game. It serves as a giant neon sign for others, telling them that it is completely fine for them to join right in, and let loose with every twisted inner need for attention through hostile, repulsive, and/or extremely explicit rants, remarks, statements, and random commentary.

TL;DR - Overall Community Appearance to the average new player = Atrocious.

Sarcasm, trolling, narcissism, and rants are always present in MMO's, SWTOR just appears to be overflowing with it due to many factors, several of which could definitely be addressed and improved.

Try and remember people, just because your online and not looking someone in the face, doesn't mean that you should ignore the general social attitude of "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

The swtor community is really really bad.On almost every planet im on, there is always a few, i know it all guys, arrogant and ignorant.Usually i just add them to the ignorer list, which is getting pretty long.

Ive played countless of MMO, however swtor community is almost as bad as Wow, and Wow has THE most terrible community.

Okay, then just leave. Simply Go. God be with you but just go.

I'm one of the newcomers (more or less) the OP mentioned. And you know what p*sses me off the most? So called veterans (or many times: relative newcomers as well) who think they know how everything should work. I take a look into the forums and see guys like the OP, like you, like a hundred others, who feel the urge to present themselves to the rest of the community and tell all those fools how sh*tty the game is.

Noone cares for your opinion. Especially not those who don't want their game experience and fun spoilt by you. If you don't like the game anymore: noone will miss you, noone needs you. Go search for an audience that cares about your pathetic performance elsewhere.

PS: This doesn't go out to anyone expressing legitimate critique. It goes out to all the drama queens, cry babies and all those craving for recognition by bashing the game and the devs.

I'm one of the newcomers (more or less) the OP mentioned. And you know what p*sses me off the most? So called veterans (or many times: relative newcomers as well) who think they know how everything should work. I take a look into the forums and see guys like the OP, like you, like a hundred others, who feel the urge to present themselves to the rest of the community and tell all those fools how sh*tty the game is.

Noone cares for your opinion. Especially not those who don't want their game experience and fun spoilt by you. If you don't like the game anymore: noone will miss you, noone needs you. Go search for an audience that cares about your pathetic performance elsewhere.

PS: This doesn't go out to anyone expressing legitimate critique. It goes out to all the drama queens, cry babies and all those craving for recognition by bashing the game and the devs.

You just proved my point by stating all of this bs. And by misreading posts (I never mentioned newcomers as an issue).

Edited by IAAIAO

Just going to throw my two cents into the bucket here.

I have played a pretty wide range of mmo's over nearly two decades, and I can honestly say that SWTOR has one of the worst communities from an overall perspective I have ever seen. That is just going off the average of what I witness in General Chat only. I was somewhat staggered by it, having recently come from another smaller mmo that had a smaller, albeit, much tighter community. There, if someone was really a total ******, they would quickly get isolated from 95% of the endgame community. And the GM's would also personally log on at random times, which was something of a moderator system, randomly active yes, but just *knowing* that a GM could possibly be on and see what was being said in open chat, helped to tone down some peoples driving need to run wild with internet anonymity.

I have seen a lot of crap talk, epeen flaunting, and harassment in my years of playing mmo's, but really, SWTOR has taken the crown for having the most saturated amount of this kind of behavior I have *ever* seen. The only time that I do not see an average of 3-4 people spewing bile into general chat, is when I am on during the extremely late night and AM time ranges, the opposite of peak time for server population.

It really is horrible for anyone coming into the game who is expecting or hoping for something of a positive community to try and join. I'm not saying that there isn't some good people, and some good guilds, and therefor, some good social "inner circles" that exist, there certainly is. That is the issue though, those are within there own circles, the majority of those within good guilds, full of good people, likely turn general chat off ( and I cannot blame them in the slightest ) and likely use it as little as possible.

This leaves the average newcomer being assaulted in general chat by a near constant bombardment of appalling behavior without any real sort of moderating taking place, at all. This will give a very negative view of the overall community for those new players coming in who will see that as a representation of the majority and be unaware of how to really go about getting help or into a better social atmosphere without just outright leaving the game. It serves as a giant neon sign for others, telling them that it is completely fine for them to join right in, and let loose with every twisted inner need for attention through hostile, repulsive, and/or extremely explicit rants, remarks, statements, and random commentary.

TL;DR - Overall Community Appearance to the average new player = Atrocious.

Sarcasm, trolling, narcissism, and rants are always present in MMO's, SWTOR just appears to be overflowing with it due to many factors, several of which could definitely be addressed and improved.

Try and remember people, just because your online and not looking someone in the face, doesn't mean that you should ignore the general social attitude of "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

well said my friend

Do you think your long winded post scares me boy? For one thing I've been playing this game since launch and have spent a lot of money hoping this game and the community there-in would get better, but with more people like you joining the game, it looks like my decision will be a lot easier now.. And here is a P.S. for you, its very easy to not see the flaws of a game when you haven't even invested a dime into this game to begin with, I bet you're free to play also ?? enjoy sucking bioware dry until it dies. Edited by canesfanjax

Guess what causes the community to take a dive? It's called free-to-play.

I have witnessed several subscription-players being very rude as well. Yes, here in these forums as well (where only subscribers can post).

But subscribers being bad is always silenced to death. Omerta. No-one wants to admit that they can be bad, too.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

You just proved my point by stating all of this bs. And by misreading posts (I never mentioned newcomers as an issue).

You, Sir, mentioned newcomers being scared away by d*ckheads in the forums. I, as a newcomer, replied that at least for me it's people posting stuff like the person I quoted (Canesfanjax) who spoil the fun and might scare newcomers away. Personally I'm used to these group of people. Every game has them, in every game it's them who create that terrible atmosphere in the community. Constantly.

@Canesfanjax:

Do you think your long winded post scares me boy? For one thing I've been playing this game since launch and have spent a lot of money hoping this game and the community there-in would get better, but with more people like you joining the game, it looks like my decision will be a lot easier now.. And here is a P.S. for you, its very easy to not see the flaws of a game when you haven't even invested a dime into this game to begin with, I bet you're free to play also ?? enjoy sucking bioware dry until it dies.

More people like me? Tell me, what do you know about me? Why do you think I'm a leecher? I decided to sub for two months 3 days after starting with this game and bought several packages of coins in addition. Today my sub ran out and I'm thinking about resubbing (if work allows me to use that time).

You just can't accept the fact that you, as someone who has played the game since launch, are called a disturbance to the community, can you? I have played a lot of MMOs and I simply can't stand your kind any longer: chronic decriers.

And I never denied the existence of flaws in the game.

this game by far doesnt have the worse community i have ever seen. nor does it have the worse general chat. rift and wow beats them hands down for both. rift did it with a cross server lfd which you just cringe when you have to ever use it as it brought all of the wow learned lfd shenanigans with it. wow you just had to turn off chat making getting a opposite faction non guild group a challenge. wow didn't have a lfd when i played it. its general chat was starting to get beyond out of hand when i left too. it was far worse than this games.

i too have played several mmos over the last 12 years or so finding the only ones which had a great community had difficult leveling processes and no lfd. if you misbehaved you were put on ignore and got no group. if you died a lot you couldn't level because of the death penalties and left the game out of frustration. the game in itself weeded out children of all ages and policed itself. there were elitists as every game will have them.

the ftp issue is non existent as paying monies and not paying monies doesnt teach little johnnies how to act. nor does it attract such players to a mmo. i too have played other ftp mmos and they had great general chat and communities. not sure what mmos other played to get this idea. perhaps it was wow clones geared to 10 year olds. i just dont know.

what makes any mmo better is the guild you are in. surrounding yourself with active players of average to above skill and mmo etiquette thus making your own micro community is what makes these games for me imo. solo play is for console games.