Not that new to PVP

ddommus

I'm not that new to pvp, and I seemed to have reached a peak. I rank, like in the middle of the road most of the time...sometimes I'm near the top, sometimes the bottom, but most times right in the middle....my question though, is how do people type and fight at the same time?!?! I'm trying my hardest just not to die, and people are fighting and typing back and forth....how is this possible.

Also, is it possible to cheat in pvp? I've been in matches that the enemy just walked all over the team I was in...people would walk through my attacks and 1/2 shot me, and that would happen like 4-5 times in that match. Then there are matches that seem soooooo evenly matched, that even if my team looses it was fun to be in that match. I just want to know for certain if cheating in some way is going on, or can a great team walk, with seemingly no effort, over weaker team?

Huh, surprised no one has responded to this yet, but anyway... I'm like you, usually middle of the pack on the scoreboard at the end. I delude myself into thinking it's because I focus on objectives instead of my DPS and Kill totals. :)

About typing and fighting. I suspect that you might be overestimating how much fighting the people are actually doing while typing. :) I think you can bind macros to send text to chat, and I swear some people must have "you all suck" and "all you noobs should stick to PvE" bound to macros! If they are typing "3 inc west", then hopefully they are typing that before the enemy actually gets there, so they would not be fighting yet. If the fighting has already started, like I'm surprised by a stealth or something, I know that I'll burn a stealth/stun/root myself so that I have a free moment to type "1 stealth AT west" or whatever. Even if I don't have one of those to burn, I'll just stand and let my guy get beat on while I'm typing. I figure better to inform the team first, and then hold the enemy off as best I can.

About getting steamrolled... I started a thread a while ago about "how often are you in very one-sided matches, vs. games that are actually close"? The completely unscientific conclusion I saw was that most of the time the matches were one sided (either to your benefit or not, but still one sided). Close games are more rare, which is too bad.

And cheating... While I know that cheating can happen, I suspect it's more rare than people think. People are quick to call "CHEATER!" whenever they see something they don't understand, like a class using a power that ranter didn't know about. Then of course, there are bugs. Was in a voidstar once where one of the enemy ended up behind the unexploded VS doors. We thought at first they were cheating (they can plant that way without being seen). But then as each remaining enemy died they all ended up back there, so it was obviously a bug. They could plant all the wanted, but we could always diffuse since there was no one on our side to stop us.

More likely, I think, is that you are just facing a "premade"... 4 (or even 8 if you hit 2 premades) guys who group up, are communicating via voice chat, have all their class synergies worked out, probably have maxed out gear. Just the ease of focus fire alone would really make a difference I think. While your PUG is probably all shooting at different enemies without any coordination, they are talking on their voice chat, "Kill MaxiumumHealz, now kill DeathToAllImps, now kill FuzzyBunny".

Plus there is also the "quitter" affect (as I call it :) ). Too many people (in my opinion) quit at the first sign of a loss. Lose that first door in voidstar? Get scored on first in HB? Suddenly you are one or two people down. Then the other team has a bigger advantage, and you start losing worse. More people quit. You get replacements, sure, but half the time THOSE people quit too, because who wants to come into the middle of an already losing WZ match?

Not sure if this is another troll post but...

I type first, fight second when I need to communicate to my team.

Type with left hand while running with right.

Not sure how you actually do it while actively fighting, seeing as being in chat mode, most buttons you press apply to that and not your hot keys. Maybe if you are a clicker; but I wouldn't recommend striving to learn that way.

I just want to know for certain if cheating in some way is going on, or can a great team walk, with seemingly no effort, over weaker team?

There are bugs, but cheating has become a become a thing of the past it seems. Nobody who claims cheating seems to have proof of it.

And yes, certain premades can stomp certain PUGS with little effort.

Edited by Veniras

I'm a fast typer and I usually have time to rattle off "inc west 2" or "gj gg" or "gt gg" or something like "Dolgrenn's healing in the back, someone actually put some dmg on him" when my Sorc is channeling Lightning or casting Thundering Blast. That's harder on my Sent, but Master Strike and Force Stasis help with that. When I'm being chainstunned too, I can rattle off some quick ones. The longer messages are usually right after I die, sometimes while I'm dead if I'm really pissed. But usually I get messages off in time to matter as far as not losing a node that I'm defending or killing the healer so that everybody else on the opposing team dies when we rush for mid in Novare Coast.

As far as one-sided matches go, I see them every day, though not always as often as some people claim. I was on my Sent yesterday on a Huttball match where their team scored right away. Our team fought for about 10 minutes until one unlucky opponent passed the ball away, unknowingly straight into my hands. I ran the ball almost completely unopposed into the endzone in a matter of seconds, hit the autorun button, and when I was crossing the goal line, typed "boom". (Did end up losing the match, the other team passed the ball back and forth with 30 seconds left to win the tiebreak.)

But then there are matches where round 1 ends without a single door in Voidstar, and round 2 opens up with a plant 20 seconds in. (I've been the one with that plant many a time). Those are always more fun for the winning team, truthfully, but every match is fun imo. I always have fun playing this game, and I always will.

Only saw cheating near game start on Gardens of Talla (RIP). Speed hacking 2 or 3 times by the same few players, and after they were banned or left server, never since. Exploits seem to have been cleaned up too. What's common now in PUGs is to see well-geared/well-skilled premades using voip crushing.

You can be at the top or near top of the boards while still focusing on team win. I suggest analyzing what you're not doing now, that you could be doing (toon specific stuff). Use AOEs more, taunt or guard more, crit more, see what medals you're not getting but could without compromising team objs, get caps, etc.

Personally I type while fighting, but am taking damage. Only for a good cause though, like guarding a node and two ops just unstealthed and are stabby me silly so they can cap. Better to call it out early for team and die than stay quiet and lose cap (which too many players do).

Edited by Joesixxpack

For me... stuns and channeled attacks. A 3 second ravage is plenty of time to type '3 east'. If I get surprised by some stealthies... I'll even open with a ravage just so I can do some damage and type at the same time. It's all situational... sometimes I roar or force choke if it's a 1v1 but you get the idea. Edited by UGLYMRJ

Unless you are certain there's only one person and you can 1v1 them beyond a shadow of a doubt either: A. call while they are running up or B. call it the moment they drop on you and just take the extra downtime if needed. Chances are more are on their way and losing a slight bit of damage or even that matchup is preferable to losing the node. One or two people can stall a node for a long time by themselves.