Download Speed

Chuato

Hi everyone,

Was just wondering if its common for my download speed to fluctuate so greatly when downloading components of the game?

I was downloading the 'Main Assets 1' file at a steady 3.75mb/s and now im onto 'English Assets 1' and the speed has dropped to 333kb/s :(

Speedtest has shown no changes in download speed at my end.

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone,

Was just wondering if its common for my download speed to fluctuate so greatly when downloading components of the game?

I was downloading the 'Main Assets 1' file at a steady 3.75mb/s and now im onto 'English Assets 1' and the speed has dropped to 333kb/s :(

Speedtest has shown no changes in download speed at my end.

Thanks in advance.

I downloaded it twice. Yes, the speed is all over the place. The tube to my house is quite fat and can get 20 Mb/s. For some parts of SWTOR I got 20Mb/s and for others (most) I got 1 Mb/s or less.

EDIT: BTW, doesn't the SWTOR downloader display speeds in B/s not b/s? The game is friggin huge (25 GB is more than 3 double layer DVDs) so if you download in 24 hours that is ~ 2 M bits / sec on average (250 M bytes / sec). My downloads probably took between 12-18 hours.

Edited by funkiestj

• 1 year later...

yeah i got the same flactuation one

strange huh? got new comp too window 7

i downloaded both games

i taught swtor would be finish first since its not as big as wow and its 5 expansions (lost all my cds sooo i am downloading that thru client too

wow is like 400/300

swtor is like now its lioke 90/75/40/9 /22/11/9 then it goes ip to 44/60/90 /55

not i should panic my game time is about to expire so i'll just patiently use the clein to download for weeks maybe

still wanna toss it up there

The terminology can be confusing. I have a DSL connection that SAYS the download speed is 1.544Mb/ps, which is the same as a conventional (American) T-1 line (EU is 2.0 Mb/ps), but it's a small "b" meaning it's BITS per second.

The download speed is measured in KB/ps, a capital "B" which means BYTES per second. 8 bits to a byte, of course, but there's error correction in there as well (Don't know what kind they use), so the bottom line is that if you're getting 165 KB/ps on a 1.544 Mb/ps DSL, that's about as fast as you can expect.

Mine fluctuates, too, and frequently hovers between 50 and 70. There are too many factors and choke points to put blame anywhere here. It could be your ISP. It could be a provider down stream. It could be Bioware.

They do not call the Internet the "information super highway" for no reason. Rush hour is as much a part of the Internet as commuting to work - during peak times transfers slow down for a myriad of reasons I will not get into here.

My connection is rated 25Mb/sec. I consistently download SWTOR patches at >3.6MB/sec. Which is around 29Mb/sec. That's right, I get download speeds actually faster than what they promise me. My laptop, over my home WiFi pulls the patches down at about 2.5MB/sec.

For whatever reason, (and unlike many reports I've seen in this forum) SWTOR actually seems to be one of the faster downloads I get. Other stuff comes down the line slower. *shrug* That's the innerwebz for ya.

Edited by Adric_the_Red