SWG Revive?

Wooker

SWG is dead. May it rest in peace.

I played beta through most of its 8 year history, with a few breaks after the disastrous CU and NGE. That game had a very ugly history with a great beginning and end, but a really bad middle. I don't think anyone actually misses SWG, but the sandbox element and complete autonomy. When playing a thempark game like SWTOR, which is completely on rails, it's very easy to miss the wide openness of a game like SWG.

To the haters: SWG was not a failure. Even if it enjoyed limited financial success, SWG will live on in the hearts and minds of its players forever. Will you be able to make that claim about SWTOR? Doubtful. This is just another WoW clone with lightsaber packaging. There's nothing really unique or engaging about SWTOR or its community to make it memorable. When this game shuts down, and I'll be shocked if it lasts as long as SWG did, will you be making posts on some other forum clamoring to bring back SWTOR? No.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SWG is dead. May it rest in peace.

I played beta through most of its 8 year history, with a few breaks after the disastrous CU and NGE. That game had a very ugly history with a great beginning and end, but a really bad middle. I don't think anyone actually misses SWG, but the sandbox element and complete autonomy. When playing a thempark game like SWTOR, which is completely on rails, it's very easy to miss the wide openness of a game like SWG.

To the haters: SWG was not a failure. Even if it enjoyed limited financial success, SWG will live on in the hearts and minds of its players forever. Will you be able to make that claim about SWTOR? Doubtful. This is just another WoW clone with lightsaber packaging. There's nothing really unique or engaging about SWTOR or its community to make it memorable. When this game shuts down, and I'll be shocked if it lasts as long as SWG did, will you be making posts on some other forum clamoring to bring back SWTOR? No.

Agree 100%. As others have said SWG is dead and that is that...

However I do sympathize.... SWTOR excels over SWG in many areas but this community, whether Hater, or Fanboi, just outright sucks. If it wasn't for my guild I probably would have quit a long time ago. Not because of the game and problems I have with it, I can live with those, but because of this horrid horrid community. I have been apart of some toxic MMO communities, but not matter how many breaks I take from this forum since October of 08, I come back, and it's worse. That really takes some doing people...

And if you think I'm talking about one group vs. the other, I'm probably talking about you. (not you specifically Theron, but the general you [see: Fanboi/ Hater] that thinks it has to be black or white with this game).

Edited by Jaden

• 2 weeks later...
Question. If now lucas arts closed and are licencing star wars games could sony bring back swg? It might cost money but, a kickstarter could work. Please post your ideas (i'm not hating or dissing swtor just want it back)

SWG was my first MMO, i did play from day one and for me it was one of the best MMO's ever, as much as I would like to see SWG back, it is not going to happen. One SW game is enough, otherwise they would be shifting subscribers from game to another and they would not let that happen.

I think there are two options, you can contact BW/EA and ask if some of the SWG features can be implemented, you never know :) Or if you really wonna play SWG you can try SWGemu.

I'm 19 years old, so when the game was launched I was very young, I really started playing MMO's with WoW: The Burning Crusade. As a great Star Wars fan, do you think it compensates have the trouble to buy an original copy and play with SWGEmu?

Another doubt I've ever had, the game add something to the canon? Or is just a game based on SW but with no story development interest like TOR?

Sheesh, you'd think people were scared SWG would steal the competition away with all this hate. I wouldn't be surprised if the lackluster of this game sent many players running to find another Star Wars title and stumbled upon SWG.

SWG actually had end game content guys, not just Warzones and Operations then a meaningless hunt for datacrons.

Edited by DraonaiMimnov

I'm 19 years old, so when the game was launched I was very young, I really started playing MMO's with WoW: The Burning Crusade. As a great Star Wars fan, do you think it compensates have the trouble to buy an original copy and play with SWGEmu?

Another doubt I've ever had, the game add something to the canon? Or is just a game based on SW but with no story development interest like TOR?

Good question, bud. Having played SWG from early on, through the NGE (New Game Enhancement) and CU (Combat Upgrade), and quit playing shortly before the whole enterprise was scrapped... Nah. Don't bother. The EMU is an interesting and laudable goal, but the reality is pretty mean. It's slow, time consuming and unrewarding. I expect someday the technology will bridge the gap betwixt players craving complicated and nuanced game mechanics, and the more immediate/simple console set. SWG didn't bridge that gap and the wonderful efforts of the folk at EMU fall even further short.

Why would they ever allow a company to make another SW mmo? It's just bad business practice to revive an old game to compete with the same IP. It's like McDonald's opening a McDonald's 2 that serves the same food and beverages but instead it has nicer establishments.

Sheesh, you'd think people were scared SWG would steal the competition away with all this hate. I wouldn't be surprised if the lackluster of this game sent many players running to find another Star Wars title and stumbled upon SWG.

SWG actually had end game content guys, not just Warzones and Operations then a meaningless hunt for datacrons.

Actually most of us aren't expressing hate, annoyance mostly, this is a swtor forums not a SWG forum, the game failled, this game isn't failling at the moment.

But dream if you want to, just be aware that SWG is never going to be revived, somewhere in the future another Star Wars MMO might be born, but it won't be SWG, it'll probably be based on the upcoming films.

Why would they ever allow a company to make another SW mmo? It's just bad business practice to revive an old game to compete with the same IP. It's like McDonald's opening a McDonald's 2 that serves the same food and beverages but instead it has nicer establishments.

Apparently you've never been to McDonalds in Las Vegas. Your analogy is nonsensical.

• 3 months later...
You are right, this is off topic. So On Topic: SWG is dead, get over it.

The only clear risk, and that has investors holding back now, is Disney taking over the license. If they indeed focus solely on the movies era, that would mean bad things for SWTOR's license when it comes up. This uncertainty, above anything else, keeps investors nervous. Nothing about the actual state of the product itself has recently caused concerns.

Disney would want to keep SWTOR around. While they are concentrating on the movies era, it is still beneficial to have a Star Wars MMO out. If you have a group of Star Wars fans together in on (digital) place, in a long term game play, they are more excited about the movies "I see pretty light-saber on screen, I go see in 3-D", and they will likely bring their freinds, who, after seeing the movie may decide " I see pretty light-saber in 3-d, I goo see on screen" which makes the game bigger, and then that cycle repeats when episode VII comes out and again for 9.

Edited by Julius_Caesar

Bringing Star Wars: Galaxies back would be a logistical and financial nightmare for anyone to do. Consider the Following:

1: SWTOR is gaining some momentum. SWTOR just got out of a pretty big financial downturn, and is actually starting to look it could be a success in the long term.

2: The MMO market is changing. SWTOR and GW2 were the last two MMOs released in the WoW era, after these two game, it was pretty much confirmed WoW is beginning the end of it's life. To change the situation up more, Titan was scraped, meaning Blizzard might not be able to replace WoW soon enough, creating a gap for competition. In this new 'era' of the MMORPG, where competition is open again, the Flagship MMORPGs are going to take over, being primarily Elder Scrolls: Online, Guild Wars 2 and SWTOR (Please note, these MMORPGs are just my assumptions as to who the WoW-Vets would go to), Disney and the Star Wars Franchise coordinators want a Star Wars MMORPG, and they want it to be a Flagship. Disney may not make money from SWTOR directly, but they do get money indirectly, it keeps Star Wars in peoples minds, and encourages them to see the movies and other franchise products. Doing a Re-Release of SWG would cause problems with that, SWTOR could lose its Flagship status (assuming it could get it, I hope it does), because it is no longer THE Star Wars MMO. Disney also has to accommodate two different games, and if they want a Franchise-based MMORPG to be successfull, it has to be License-Reliable (Knowing it can get the licenses it needs) which SWTOR may not get if SWG is taking Licenses too.

3: SWG was outdated. This one will help answer to those who may say "Why can't SWG be the flagship MMO, and not SWTOR". When you look at SWG, it's success was in it's lack of development, players basically made the game themselves, which is cool. However, an MMORPG can't get by with that underdevelopment anymore, because story, combat and Theme Parks are now expected parts of the MMORPG. While customization and player housing/cities are more auxiliary. Note: This is an excellent opportunity to get more customization into SWTOR, since they will be looking for more, long lasting, content.

4: SWG is an old title. Not only is SWG an old game, but people will know it is 10 years old, and will most likely avoid it.

5: No one would come back. While many SWGers have romantic thoughts of a glorious return to the days of old, in the wonderful deserts of Tatooine, the fact is most SWGers are now comfortable in other places. Community was the main asset to SWG, and in a reborn version, that community wouldn't come back. Most wouldn't bother reinstalling the game, others would quit soon, and those left wouldn't have the will to rebuild the cities.

6: Bad Image for SOE. If investors see SOE bringing back a game which already closed, they will likely think SOE has very little planned for the future.

I think SWGers should consider themselves part of a proud legacy, and should try to influence SWTOR to make it a better game for everyone.

id rather they do what they did for outcast and realize the source code or something, that way the private servers can kick start up.

Swgemu has already done that, however SOE has claimed that they no longer have the source code, so swgemu is purely reverse engineered code.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I would come back, if not simply for JTL. I have been casually playing the SWGEmu, and yeah...it's a 10 year old game....10 year old engine....sandbox non -theme parked MMo....but so is Dark Age of Camelot, and that is still running AND still charging a Subscription fee. Everquest II is still here, and so is Everquest I. Hell, even RUNESCAPE is still here! I don't think the age of the game is going to prevent fans of the game from playing it. Most kids may want that instant-get me to high level now-gradification, which is not what SWG was, but there is a niche for it. I understand that if your goal is to attract NEW players to it, that may be a challenge. Logistically, yeah it would cost a lot to bring back, run, and maintain the IP license in order to bring SWG back, and may not make financial sense. In a F2P format, SWG would have still survived.....had millions of players? No, but at least a few thousands players playing at any given time, maybe between 5k-10k subs a month. Other than paying the license, it would be a cheap game to run and upkeep by today's standards....I mean look at the EMU, they are doing that in their spare time, with a little help from donations but I mean...that's maybe a thousand a month....a Publishing company could easily put 25k a month to run a few servers, and have a team of 20ish people maintain the servers, and release some kind of content. My point is that it would be doable, and people WOULD play it, just not A LOT of people.

Now I think SWTOR is a fun game, even though it feels like WoW with a Star Wars skin, it is fun to play and is definitely immersive, but I wouldn't consider it a flagship MMO. The first 3 months it was released, maybe. Jump To Lightspeed was the reason I started playing MMO's, and has put an itch on me that no other game has been able to scratch. There are a lot of great flight sim games out there, and Galactic Starfighter does look pretty and all, but it just isn't as good. There are a few hopefuls coming out, IE: Star Citizen (which will have an FPS ground game, instead of RPG combat) and maybe Elite Dangerous. SWTOR doesn't fill the void like I thought it would, but it is still fun to play when I want to hop in a few WZ and get my Sith rocks off. Being perfectly honest, Planetside 2 is the closest I have come to the experience I got from playing SWG. There is infantry combat, Vehicles, and the air combat, although not a 3-D space sim, is pretty close. The Dog Fights in ESF's gives me the same "oh sh*** I have 3 Mossies on my tail, Gold Leader do you copy!" feeling I always got in JTL PVP. And it is completely persistent 24/7, which BF3/4 falls short on now a days. I will say Star Trek Online comes in a close 2nd place, the reason being you have a choice of either spending all your time up in space, or down on the ground, or both. In SWTOR, you could spend all your time in space I guess, but you would be playing the same 2 maps, and the sameWZ format. You can't farm credits, farm combat XP, explore in space, PVE, travel with people in your ship, etc, like you did in SWG and like you can mostly do in Planetside 2 and STO. Anyways......just letting the people who never got to play JTL know how awesome and different from everything else it was, in my opinion.