Can I use the Security key from wow ?

aprinsen

It looks like the security keys are the same type as wow.

Is it possible to use the same key ? or do i have to buy an swtor exclusive one.

Also the links given to buy a key lead to nowhere.. is anyone have a location where they can be bought without being part of the CE set?

It looks like the security keys are the same type as wow.

Is it possible to use the same key ? or do i have to buy an swtor exclusive one.

Also the links given to buy a key lead to nowhere.. is anyone have a location where they can be bought without being part of the CE set?

Must say this thread made me giggle. Thank you. :D

:rolleyes:

No you cannot use the same keyfob you get from Wow...

These are tied to servers, servers which belong to Blizzard, not Bioware.

I know you were hoping, but come on.

Tied to servers? Erm, no. The keys used by Blizzard are just Digipass go 6 authenticators. In theory they would work fine with anything that supports digipass auth keys, not just WoW.

http://www.vasco.com/products/digipass/digipass_go_range/digipass_go6.aspx

So even though it may sound silly... it is actually a viable question.

Edited by Cyda

Lol .. shows how much people know how these key generators actually work.

The key generators actually look (on surface) from the same manufactor and would not be too far fetched to be use the same algorithm..

Ofcourse its far more likely that they use their own independend algorithm.

But in the end it would not surprise me at all that the from swtor is exactly the same peice of hardware as the one from WOW.

That said linking the key from your wow security key to your swotr account is not that much far fetched as some above make sound.

Ofcourse that is assuming .. same manufacturer and same algorithm/implementation used.

Thank you for the clarification Cyda :)

Edited by aprinsen

Thank you for the clarification Cyda :)

You're welcome. I agree they do look they same but like you say it will depend if they are the same model. (i.e. use the same algorithm) Need to get our hands on a CE one to check. ;)

You're welcome. I agree they do look they same but like you say it will depend if they are the same model. (i.e. use the same algorithm) Need to get our hands on a CE one to check. ;)

It'd depend on sharing the algorithm and the serial database.

Is it doable? Absolutely. Will they do it? For various reasons, no, no they will not.

I tried to input mine serial in there..

The error i got was

Sorry, we couldn't find your serial number. Try again?

but it seems they only serial keys to be entered that they have sold.. They probably simply don't allow you to use keys bought through other distributors ..

The key generators actually look (on surface) from the same manufactor and would not be too far fetched to be use the same algorithm..

Ofcourse its far more likely that they use their own independend algorithm.

But in the end it would not surprise me at all that the from swtor is exactly the same peice of hardware as the one from WOW.

That said linking the key from your wow security key to your swotr account is not that much far fetched as some above make sound.

Ofcourse that is assuming .. same manufacturer and same algorithm/implementation used.

The working of the fobs is well known. Theirs actually two main types from Verisign/Digipass. One is time based and changes each 30 seconds. The other changes each activation. Verisign's model requires payments to them for their authentication service.

Google has released the specs for a new and free, open model they are hoping that will gain traction. It has already received praise in the security field for its ease of use.

Perhaps a more relevant question is, do these key fobs work the way the WoW ones did originally, or the way they work now...

In other words, do you have to enter the key code every time you log in, or only when you log in from a new PC?

That's not a key fob issue, that's an issue for the log-in server, which can be set anyway they damn well like.

I tried to input mine serial in there..

The error i got was

but it seems they only serial keys to be entered that they have sold.. They probably simply don't allow you to use keys bought through other distributors ..

Each authenticator has a unique identifying serial number that is matched up to database entry. Each game will have a serial number range that their customers are using. When you submitted your code, your account did not have a fob associated with it. Nothing to verify.

Perhaps a more relevant question is, do these key fobs work the way the WoW ones did originally, or the way they work now...

In other words, do you have to enter the key code every time you log in, or only when you log in from a new PC?

That would depend on how the Devs set up authentication. They could require you to enter the additional security code each log-in or they could take RIFT's way and just require the code when your IP address doesn't match the address they have on record.

PS. Gmail has been tracking log-in IP addresses of each user for years. You can see the last 5 log-in adresses that have accessed your e-mail account! Woot!

I know you get those keyfobs with the CE version of the game, but as for buying one on their own, I guess they aren't available yet. I'm sure they will be shortly, probably right after launch on the 20th.

I was looking into that yesterday, and they are on sale as of yesterday (that I know of)

http://www.swtor.com/info/security-key

$4.00 + S&H ($2.50 for me) = $6.50. Not too bad.

I tried my authenticator too, out of whim, got the serial number error too. Oh well, that serial number range is for Blizzard. Was worth trying because I'm a cheap SOB =D