Cathar: Rise of the Hutt Cartel? Fact or Myth?

Semjax

So back in 2012's E3, Bioware announced that Cathar were going to be playable by years end. Well apparently, its past years end and it hasn't even surfaced, nor has new information risen on the new Species to be introduced to the game. So that leads to the question on if the Cathar are going to be introduced with the Rise of the Hutt Cartel expansion pack. It would make better sense for it to be, because that means they can make money off of the wonderful species and possibly add in more species with the expansion- Of course thats not exactly what they said, they promised that it would be released in patch updates, not an expansion. However, I already pre-ordered my Rise of the Hutt Cartel Expansion pack so whether its in there or not I'll be getting the Expansion. But what does this mean for the players who are not getting the pack? Hell, is Cathar ever going to be a playable race, or was it just a dropped ball? Has Bioware fallen below what we once believed in? Have they become Lionhead Studios?! I for one am highly looking forward to Cathar, and I hope to god that they don't just scrap the idea.

What are your guys opinions?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a big shake-up in Bioware last year that have delayed ALOT of things. These include:

World PvP

Cathars

Guild Capital Ships

Pazaak/mini-games

Makeb

Ranked Warzones (Season 1)

The list goes on. Imo, if they haven't explicitly said Cathars WILL be included, they won't be.

The last thing that was said about Cathar was in the last Q&A livestream.

16. When is Cathar coming out? Are we planning on any races beyond that.

Damion: Cathar race is coming in the months timeframe not the years timeframe.

Jeff: Probably, yes.

Damion: I want it out as soon as it is feasible because we want to see how everything does on the market. The answer to the second question is how well is the Cathar doing on the marketplace. Doing a race and all the customization options is very very expensive but if it is something popular, that is something we will do more.

So that's all there is. It has never been stated that they will come with Makeb.

Damion: I want it out as soon as it is feasible because we want to see how everything does on the market. The answer to the second question is how well is the Cathar doing on the marketplace. Doing a race and all the customization options is very very expensive but if it is something popular, that is something we will do more.[/i]

So that's all there is. It has never been stated that they will come with Makeb.

I guess the success or failure of the RotHC expansion will decided wether there will be more expansions like it, Cathar or others...

Damion: I want it out as soon as it is feasible because we want to see how everything does on the market. The answer to the second question is how well is the Cathar doing on the marketplace. Doing a race and all the customization options is very very expensive but if it is something popular, that is something we will do more.

By the sounds of that it's going to be a Cartel Market item. If that's the only way to obtain the race, I will be very unhappy about that. I've put off working on a Commando for Cathar to be put in.

So back in 2012's E3, Bioware announced that Cathar were going to be playable by years end.

They've promised alot of things that were never delivered.....but as long as people keep taking the bait, keep feeding the bank, they'll keep shoveling it out.

If one were to imagine a marketing department who's mission statement it is to relieve you of as much money as possible while granting you as little service, and product as is possible so as to farm this game until its dead, it will all begin to make sense.

If one continues to have faith, it never will.

So back in 2012's E3, Bioware announced that Cathar were going to be playable by years end. Well apparently, its past years end and it hasn't even surfaced, nor has new information risen on the new Species to be introduced to the game. So that leads to the question on if the Cathar are going to be introduced with the Rise of the Hutt Cartel expansion pack. It would make better sense for it to be, because that means they can make money off of the wonderful species and possibly add in more species with the expansion- Of course thats not exactly what they said, they promised that it would be released in patch updates, not an expansion. However, I already pre-ordered my Rise of the Hutt Cartel Expansion pack so whether its in there or not I'll be getting the Expansion. But what does this mean for the players who are not getting the pack? Hell, is Cathar ever going to be a playable race, or was it just a dropped ball? Has Bioware fallen below what we once believed in? Have they become Lionhead Studios?! I for one am highly looking forward to Cathar, and I hope to god that they don't just scrap the idea.

When they announced cathar they said within 1 year. That leaves them until June I believe.

Personally I hate cats. I can't wait to kill them in PvP.

Didn't think I would have to purchase Cathar as a subscriber. Let's hope we won't have to. Then again, we can use the monthly stipend to purchase them I suppose.

When they announced cathar they said within 1 year. That leaves them until June I believe.

Seeing as Bioware have announced that Rise of the Hutt Cartel will be released in the spring, that suggests that the Cathar spieces could be included in the pack (they also announced future species etc. would not be available to free players, I believe). Just an educated guess, though.:)

Didn't think I would have to purchase Cathar as a subscriber. Let's hope we won't have to. Then again, we can use the monthly stipend to purchase them I suppose.

Think of it this way: they could just give it to subscribers for free, but instead they're giving you cartel coins so you can choose whether you want the new species or something else. Would you be happier if Cathars were free but you received no complimentary cartel coins?

Subscribers receive at least 500 and up to 700 cartel coins per month (or even more through the friends program). Depending on how you calculate it, this is worth anywhere between 25% and 55% of the subscription cost (in euros - dollar prices may be slightly differently proportioned). I'd say that's a pretty good deal.

I do find it a bit strange that they don't allow purchasing the RotHC expansion through cartel coins though. If they wanted to avoid it being put on the GTN (and thus available with ingame credits), they could've just made it available through the website only and not as an ingame item.

Think of it this way: they could just give it to subscribers for free, but instead they're giving you cartel coins so you can choose whether you want the new species or something else. Would you be happier if Cathars were free but you received no complimentary cartel coins?

Subscribers receive at least 500 and up to 700 cartel coins per month (or even more through the friends program). Depending on how you calculate it, this is worth anywhere between 25% and 55% of the subscription cost (in euros - dollar prices may be slightly differently proportioned). I'd say that's a pretty good deal.

I do find it a bit strange that they don't allow purchasing the RotHC expansion through cartel coins though. If they wanted to avoid it being put on the GTN (and thus available with ingame credits), they could've just made it available through the website only and not as an ingame item.

True, just figured it would be apart of the 10 bucks I spent on the expansion. I'm hoping you get a kit of some sort for the expansion, and will have the Cathar race unlock in it. But here's to hoping. Probably will have to save up those CC to get it. Not a huge deal, just saying.

I don't understand the big urge to play a new species... aren't there enough already? Everyone keeps freaking out about a new species, but after a year, why not just enjoy the species you have? I am the type that would much rather get a new class(which i know will never happen) than a new species... all species play their class the same, I just don't understand the fuss for the Cathar...

I don't understand the big urge to play a new species... aren't there enough already? Everyone keeps freaking out about a new species, but after a year, why not just enjoy the species you have? I am the type that would much rather get a new class(which i know will never happen) than a new species... all species play their class the same, I just don't understand the fuss for the Cathar...

I absolutely agree with you. The voice doesn't even change! It's purely cosmetic only. But...others want it, it's coming, I'm glad they're excited :)

Myth. It has never been said they would be in the expansion. In fact most recent chatter about it from people who know has seemed to intentionally steer people away from that idea and hinting it wouldn't be ready till after that. I don't really care though other than hoping it succeeds so they do a decent race after that, but not optimistic about that.

I've never understood why everyone is so frisky for this species - personally....I wouldn't make a new toon, there are a lot better species that could introduced.....

^ This... and Kel'dor :-P The only thing im looking forward to with the Cathar is i'll have some blaster fodder for some additional sport.. heck I may even start to PvP just to blast some of them in an open zone, and if they ever release Rodians.. hell i'll unleash my whole arsenal onto them xD

^ This... and Kel'dor :-P The only thing im looking forward to with the Cathar is i'll have some blaster fodder for some additional sport.. heck I may even start to PvP just to blast some of them in an open zone, and if they ever release Rodians.. hell i'll unleash my whole arsenal onto them xD

Awww I never understand people that want to blow stuff up that they do not like. I guess most of worlds problems come from people with that kind of attitude. :rolleyes: