Bioware, how about Subscriber servers with no Cash Shop?

DKNS

Allods Online did it recently so why not here too?

Many (and i mean a lot of) people are turned off by the cash shop to the extent that they do not even try the game or just leave it. So why not create a few Subscription servers where everything can be purchased in-game? A huge part of the MMO community wants a cash shop free game so creating these servers will most likely attract a good number of players while also calming the existing players who are tired of the cash shop.

I think this would really help the stabilise the game as well as it's reputation in the MMO community which is currently extremely bad due to the extremely restrictive F2P offered by Bioware. We know Bioware has said that it's more like a demo but the they themselves officially called it F2P. A F2P server will also properly act as a Demo server while the rest of the people can enjoy the game as it was meant to be played on the Sub servers. An important thing here would be to allow all current subscribers an option to freely transfer to the Sub server, otherwise the sub server won't work.

If Bioware is worried about the money which it may lose from the current subs who still buy stuff from Cartel shop, then they can charge for the expansions on the sub server instead of it giving it free. I know i would be more than happy to spend on an expansion instead of the Cartel market.

What does the rest of the community feel about this? Please comment below and also vote on the poll i created to see it statistically :)

http://flisti.com/58204

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many (and i mean a lot of) people are turned off by the cash shop to the extent that they do not even try the game or just leave it.

Source?

I'm finding it hard to believe you can speak on behalf of A LOT of people who have never tried the game because they don't like the cartel market.

Seems to me like you just made that up. Prove me wrong?

What does the rest of the community feel about this?

I personally got the feeling that you are (like many others) assuming that your personal opinion is shared by a vast majority.

Bioware stated the fact, that most cash-shop purchases are done by subscribers, so how does that match with your assumption, that most subscribers dislike the cash shop?

Why would Bioware voluntarily earn less money? They already get our subscription without the need to create special rules server of unknown population density. They already do get the extra cash-shop income from subscribers (and non-subscribers), so why should they give us all for no additional cost (sure, it would be fine, but it just ain't gonna happen).

Also we got just one server per type and language in europe... and you want to split the population further? not a good idea to me.

Also your poll is extremely biased. The only question is "Would you be happy with a Sub server with no cash shop?"... well, yes, I would be happy, but I am realistic enough to know that it wouldn't work. So what shall I answer ? I need to say no to follow the spirit of your question and not its wording.

So my stance on this subject: Hell no !

Ma stance on the OP: overexaggerated single opinion (not A LOT, not many and not fact)

Edited by JPryde

Source?

I'm finding it hard to believe you can speak on behalf of A LOT of people who have never tried the game because they don't like the cartel market.

Seems to me like you just made that up. Prove me wrong?

Well you can visit any major MMO forums if you want proof for that as well as just any gaming forums. My deduction came from my time on sites like mmorpg.com, mmohut.com, subs on Reddit of upcoming games with subs (like WIldstar, TESO, etc.) and many others. Even Reddit's /r/swtor which generally is a decent place with occasional SWTOR Dev visits occasionally complains of it. While i know sites like mmorpg.com are a cesspool of the gaming community, a customer is a customer and they do complain a lot about games with cash shops.

Edited by DKNS

I just ignore the whole cash shop thing, like I've done in all MMO's that have gone down that path, like LOTRO.

It's just fluff items and honestly I don't need more stuff to fill storage space. The stuff that I've gotten from collectors edition and from other events etc. are just collecting dust in the storage, why would I spend money to get more stuff to collect dust?

Just ignore it.

I personally got the feeling that you are (like many others) assuming that your personal opinion is shared by a vast majority.

Bioware stated the fact, that most cash-shop purchases are done by subscribers, so how does that match with your assumption, that most subscribers dislike the cash shop?

Why would Bioware voluntarily earn less money? They already get our subscription without the need to create special rules server of unknown population density. They already do get the extra cash-shop income from subscribers (and non-subscribers), so why should they give us all for no additional cost (sure, it would be fine, but it just ain't gonna happen).

Also we got just one server per type and language in europe... and you want to split the population further? not a good idea to me.

Also your poll is extremely biased. The only question is "Would you be happy with a Sub server with no cash shop?"... well, yes, I would be happy, but I am realistic enough to know that it wouldn't work. So what shall I answer ? I need to say no to follow the spirit of your question and not its wording.

So my stance on this subject: Hell no !

Ma stance on the OP: overexaggerated single opinion (not A LOT, not many and not fact)

It's my opinion the poll was only for yea or no on whether you like a cash shop free server. How is it over-exaggerated? I just said that i have come across many people who don't like subs.

Also, many successful MMOs have gone with subs only. Removing cash shop doesn't mean that BW will suddenly go poor. Like i said, they can charge for Expansions and all.

Edited by DKNS

I stopped reading after that. ;)

If you had read further you would have seen this line

"While i know sites like mmorpg.com are a cesspool of the gaming community, a customer is a customer and they do complain a lot about games with cash shops."

Edited by DKNS

Also, many successful MMOs have gone with subs only. Removing cash shop doesn't mean that BW will suddenly go poor. Like i said, they can charge for subs and all.

SWTOR would be no longer in existance without the cash shop. That is a topic where even the worst enemies on this board do agree on.

So no, our subscription did apparently not suffice to maintain the game.

Or are you willing to pay a HIGHER subscription for that cash-shop-free server? That would be a totally different matter, but then you would need to ask your poll like this:

"Would you be happy with a Sub server with no cash shop where all cartel items can be bought for credits but the subscription cost is up to 15% higher?".. and good luck with getting anyone to say YES on that question.

If you had read further you would have seen this line

"While i know sites like mmorpg.com are a cesspool of the gaming community, a customer is a customer and they do complain a lot about games with cash shops."

If you know this, why bring them up to begin with, if they're not exactly the most reliable source of criticism? Sounds puzzling to say the least.

Again, there's no reason whatsoever for people NOT to ignore the Cartel Market altogether, if they feel it doesn't warrant their attention.

SWTOR would be no longer in existance without the cash shop. That is a topic where even the worst enemies on this board do agree on.

So no, our subscription did apparently not suffice to maintain the game.

Or are you willing to pay a HIGHER subscription for that cash-shop-free server? That would be a totally different matter, but then you would need to ask your poll like this:

"Would you be happy with a Sub server with no cash shop where all cartel items can be bought for credits but the subscription cost is up to 15% higher?".. and good luck with getting anyone to say YES on that question.

15% higher would be $17.25. I also said they should charge for expansions to cover costs.

I decided to create this thread because BW has started putting a lot of things in the cash shop which shouldn't be there. The 20$ dye, the 20$ companion which is stronger than all the other companions in the game (even though it can be purchased in the game, it has to be worked for to get it in-game. It's like GW2 putting their Legendaries in the cash shop) and now the one time use Raid marker. I am worried about the things that are getting into the cash shop.

the cash shop in swtor is nothing like the shop in the game you referred to and really most any other cash shops in mmo's. There are cartel gambling packs and a few other things. NOTHING that makes you a better player by payin money.

So tell me, how would a cash shop offering cosmetic items and a few low end gear items cause anyone to not try the game? It frankly makes no sense

15% higher would be $17.25. I also said they should charge for expansions to cover costs.

I decided to create this thread because BW has started putting a lot of things in the cash shop which shouldn't be there. The 20$ dye, the 20$ companion which is stronger than all the other companions in the game (even though it can be purchased in the game, it has to be worked for to get it in-game. It's like GW2 putting their Legendaries in the cash shop) and now the one time use Raid marker. I am worried about the things that are getting into the cash shop.

The dye is cosmetic. The companion can be gained in game (sorry if you dont want to put the hard work in) and really unless you suck at the game, the free companions are MORE than enough and work fine. No one needs the cash shop companion to win in this game. The cartel market has nothing that makes you a better player.

Take a look at the shops in lord of the rings online, in Aion, and in many other mmo's. THOSE are ridiculous and make people better players if they pay money. The cartel market DOES NOT do that. Anyone that wouldnt even try this game because of the cartel market is frankly a MORON .

If you know this, why bring them up to begin with, if they're not exactly the most reliable source of criticism? Sounds puzzling to say the least.

Again, there's no reason whatsoever for people NOT to ignore the Cartel Market altogether, if they feel it doesn't warrant their attention.

Because they are not the only source. I have repeatedly come across this criticism on many forums. I just listed a few of them which i could from the top of my head. Of course, many of the people playing here wouldn't mind it much otherwise they wouldn't be here. I too enjoy the game but i just can't help but feel how much better it would be without a cash shop. They can also make subs like EvE does to get income from it and charge for expansions but i just am not happy with the way the cash shop is heading as i have explained in the previous comment. And before some people show up with the usual, "leave it of you don't like it" comment, i want to say that do i not have the right to propose some ideas here?

Because they are not the only source. I have repeatedly come across this criticism on many forums. I just listed a few of them which i could from the top of my head. Of course, many of the people playing here wouldn't mind it much otherwise they wouldn't be here. I too enjoy the game but i just can't help but feel how much better it would be without a cash shop. They can also make subs like EvE does to get income from it and charge for expansions but i just am not happy with the way the cash shop is heading as i have explained in the previous comment. And before some people show up with the usual, "leave it of you don't like it" comment, i want to say that do i not have the right to propose some ideas here?

Without a "Cash Shop" there wouldn't be a game at all anymore, as someone mentioned already. I wasn't the biggest fan either when it first came out but I've come to accept it as a necessary thing, one of which I benefit as well every so often.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

So you are against a cash shop AND you are against having to work to gain something?

On a side note, the "work" required was a legacy level which all my guild members and friends had for a long time and a million credits which also everyone of them already had. For me personally the "work" to get Treek was to find the vendor selling it.

So how exactly would this work on your dream server then? Everything that is in the cash shop is just dumped into your inventory or sold for 1credit each?

Take a look at the shops in lord of the rings online, in Aion, and in many other mmo's. THOSE are ridiculous and make people better players if they pay money. The cartel market DOES NOT do that. Anyone that wouldnt even try this game because of the cartel market is frankly a MORON .

And that's why they are dying off.

And please, i just explained how putting Treek in the market is like GW2 putting their Legendaries there. Why even bother with the it can be obtained in the game argument? If it was meant to be something which only players who have dedicated a lot of time in the game can obtain, then why put in the market?

And did you even see how much bad publicity a $20 dye caused outside the SWTOR forums? Of course we people enjoy the game so we don't mind it much. But think about it. You have never played this game. Suddenly, some guy comes and tells you, "This game has a 20$ dye in the cash shop". Would you seriously try it then?

Negative publicity affects a game a lot.

A great post op!

Really this would be something that would help the game out big time. The whole P2W system isn't working for any game with it and you are so right about how players don't like it. MMORPG.com I know for a fact hates it and being it's the main MMO site on the net people really should give it the time of day and hear out what the folks on there have to say.

So you are against a cash shop AND you are against having to work to gain something?

On a side note, the "work" required was a legacy level which all my guild members and friends had for a long time and a million credits which also everyone of them already had. For me personally the "work" to get Treek was to find the vendor selling it.

So how exactly would this work on your dream server then? Everything that is in the cash shop is just dumped into your inventory or sold for 1credit each?

Please read properly. I am not against working for it. I am actually in favour of it.

Edited by DKNS

And that's why they are dying off.

And please, i just explained how putting Treek in the market is like GW2 putting their Legendaries there. Why even bother with the it can be obtained in the game argument? If it was meant to be something which only players who have dedicated a lot of time in the game can obtain, then why put in the market?

And did you even see how much bad publicity a $20 dye caused outside the SWTOR forums? Of course we people enjoy the game so we don't mind it much. But think about it. You have never played this game. Suddenly, some guy comes and tells you, "This game has a 20$ dye in the cash shop". Would you seriously try it then?

Negative publicity affects a game a lot.

Gameplay > Fluff

At least as far as I'm concerned. Also, said dye can be bought on the GTN... It requires a sizable amount of credits but it's there if you don't want to spend REAL money.

Simple solution don't visit the cash shop. You have to click on the button to go there so it is actually easy not to visit the cash shop. I have done it pretty much unless I want to see the new items.

I know it can be ignored and i have done it since day one only to open to spend the monthly grant but my issue is how BW is handling the cash shop. Like i said in a previous post, they are adding things which give the cash shop a lot of negative publicity and backfire and which would be much appreciated in-game.