Bad luck with playing Sith Inquisitor...

RocketeerRaccoon

I'm not happy, I've been playing Sith Inquisitor a lot recently and although I do like the force lightning part of the class but defense wise the class is awful, I honestly tried to do the mission to get the first companion at level 8 and as you have to fight him, I just can't beat the monster. My attacks just weren't doing anything to him and he hits like a truck.

So I'm thinking it's probably not the right class for me, as I prefer range classes I'm wondering if I should instead go as a Trooper or Bounty Hunter?

Obviously Trooper and Bounty Hunter are exactly the same class, the differences are that Bounty Hunter has the better storyline, cooler animations (flamethrower and Street Fighter punch) and better companions. For the Trooper I usually prefer the side that's suppose to be the good guys, although it's cool you get bigger and better guns as you go on but other than that, that's about it.

Honestly I though sith inq was way easier than my first toon warrior. I killed kehm with near full health and I did it at like level 7 or so. And now I'm almost 35 and in pvp I'm killing level 50+ easily and I've never had a problem with survivability as an assassin. Honestly I think you are just having a l2p issue.

Honestly I though sith inq was way easier than my first toon warrior. I killed kehm with near full health and I did it at like level 7 or so. And now I'm almost 35 and in pvp I'm killing level 50+ easily and I've never had a problem with survivability as an assassin. Honestly I think you are just having a l2p issue.

Probably, I'm not very quick with my actions which could explain my issue. You did it at level 7? Wow, how did you manage that since Khem is level 10? What is the strategy you did to beat him?

Edited by RocketeerRaccoon

Probably, I'm not very quick with my actions which could explain my issue. You did it at level 7? Wow, how did you manage that since Khem is level 10? What is the strategy you did to beat him?

Make sure you have a medpack near your level. Use a stim beforehand. You'll be able to do it.

Or you could of just been geared wrong . Willpower and endurance. Also make sure everything is repaired and have the best medpack for your level keybinded at a Convienient key for you. Also you will get a lot less weaker after you pick your adv class and start a little way in your tree of choice. Honestly I've had the most luck surviving with the assassin in pvp at least because of all the utilities you get. I have sage too the sorc equiv. and if you did want the caster class getting kehm will be one of the best companions as dps or healer since he's a tank all you'd have to do is force armour him and if dps maybe throw one of your two basic heals on him just to keep him alive if its a boss or something in your class quests. And honestly the hardest class I've been leveling since 2.0 in my dps powertech he feels squishier in heavy armour than sorc and assassin in light. At least it has seemed this far in the leveling process. But just stick with it. Because you won't honestly get a feel a class til their 20s so it's hard to decide you don't like it til then unless its storyline consuar is boring Imo. But hope it works out

I'm not happy, I've been playing Sith Inquisitor a lot recently and although I do like the force lightning part of the class but defense wise the class is awful, I honestly tried to do the mission to get the first companion at level 8 and as you have to fight him, I just can't beat the monster. My attacks just weren't doing anything to him and he hits like a truck.

So I'm thinking it's probably not the right class for me, as I prefer range classes I'm wondering if I should instead go as a Trooper or Bounty Hunter?

When you go with sorc it gets a little easier because your force (resource pool) gets increased to 500 instead of what you have now which is only 100. Am i correct in assuming that you used shock during the fight? You only have 100 force/resource at level 8...look at how much Shock costs and how much damage it does. Now compare that to how much Thrash costs and how much damage it does total (the tooltip says damage per hit, and it hits twice). One Thrash does slightly more damage then one shock and it costs half the resource. Two Thrashes cost 5 more force then 1 shock and it does a lot more damage. See where i am getting at with all this? You will only need to remember it until you beat Khem and hit level 10. If you go sorc you can forget all about it, if you decide to go assassin you need to remember it. Because it all comes down to resource management, doing the most amount of damage for the least amount of resource (force).

Do you recall the Blood Legacy quest in the Sith Academy? the one that the old lady sith sends you to do and you put a skull into a pool of blood? There was a discussion about this mission in another sub forum. To prove a point i took an inquisitor that was level 6, stripped down naked except for the level 1 saber you get when you start the game and i had a medpac handy. Despite me having 4 abilities available, for this test i only used two abilities and i beat it. My entire attack sequence looked like this:

Thrash

Thrash

Force Lightning

Thrash

Thrash

Force Lightning

repeat until dead

I normally use 4 abilities for the Blood Legacy quest, but just for the test i used 2. Those 4 are Thrash, Force Lightning, Overload and Electrocute. Electrocute is a stun so obviously if the mob is stunned it isnt attacking you. It also does minor damage and it costs zero resources. The other ability is Overload...as you know this is a knockback and it also does not cost resource. But the knockback makes it useful against melee mobs. If a melee mob isnt in melee range it isnt hitting you right? But that also means you cant hit it with your melee attacks. So what would be the best thing to do? you wait for Force Lightning to come off cooldown, then Overload the enemy to knock it away and then hit it with Force Lightning. That way you arent knocking the enemy out of range and twiddling your thumbs waiting for him to come back to you. You buy yourself a second or two knocking him away, but you gain nothing if you dont dps him while he is away.

I mentioned this in the other threads but you want to work smarter not harder. You cant really say that i can do what i did because i am leet or whatever. Remember, i did the above with only 2-4 abilities available to me, the same ones available to you. The only difference is i came up with a plan of attack, and i might also have a bit more experience in the MMO genre. I also tend to over think minor situations such as these, but i overthink the little things as practice for when i have to deal with big things. When i do finally have to go up against something where it matters, quickly figuring out how i'm going to attack or do my rotation will be second nature.

TLDR a good way to beat Khem is to just do this...DO NOT use Shock. It is a resource hog and it doesnt do a lot of damage, instead try the below:

Thrash

Thrash

Force Lightning

Thrash

Thrash

Electrocute

Thrash

Thrash

Overload

Force Lightning

Thrash

Thrash

Force Lightning

The highest medpac you can get at that level i think heals for max 425 or 450. So wait until you have at least that much health missing before you use the medpac. If you use the medpac and you only have 100 hp missing out of your health pool then you waste some of the healing. And in case i wasnt clear about it before DO NOT use Shock. Even if it is available do not use it, do Thrash Thrash instead or Force Lightning if it is available.

Edited by swtonewbie

Or you could of just been geared wrong . Willpower and endurance.

Well since he's talking about a quest in the starter zone it's a safe bet that he doesnt have moddable gear yet that he would have accidentally put strength armoring/mods into (lowest mods you can get are level 9 anyways). And since he is an inquisitor he can only wear light armor. Light armor only has willpower on it, unless of course he picked up a grey/white statless piece of light armor along the way.

I had the same problem like you when playing the SI for the first time, the same level too. This is what I did:

1. Level to 10 by killing all the mobs in that place.

2. If you have credits. Change your vibrosword by buying the 'green' at the weapons vendor since the stock that you get is useless.

3. Buy the 'blue' boots at the light armor vendor.

4. Use the willpower stim and bring a medpack.

Edited by Dioxys

Well since he's talking about a quest in the starter zone it's a safe bet that he doesnt have moddable gear yet that he would have accidentally put strength armoring/mods into (lowest mods you can get are level 9 anyways). And since he is an inquisitor he can only wear light armor. Light armor only has willpower on it, unless of course he picked up a grey/white statless piece of light armor along the way.

Ah yeah probably but then again I remember on hutta for my ia toon I kept getting heavy gear with cunning as mob drops. So it maybe possible that there could be light strength armour drops too on the lower planets. Which just seems stupid since that'd only confuse players at the beginning.

Well since I'm getting lots of comments saying I should stick to Sith Inquisitor, then I guess I'll do just that instead of Bounty Hunter, sure they have flamethrowers and rockets but it's not quite as exciting as being a Sith Lord with lightsaber in hand and fries people with lightning. :D

I'm glad of the comments about the two said missions I've been having most problems with and for the record I just played the game with normal gear you get from missions so I never bought any gear or medpacks. So I must "Do. Or do not. There is no try" :csw_yoda:

Well since I'm getting lots of comments saying I should stick to Sith Inquisitor, then I guess I'll do just that instead of Bounty Hunter, sure they have flamethrowers and rockets but it's not quite as exciting as being a Sith Lord with lightsaber in hand and fries people with lightning. :D

I'm glad of the comments about the two said missions I've been having most problems with and for the record I just played the game with normal gear you get from missions so I never bought any gear or medpacks. So I must "Do. Or do not. There is no try" :csw_yoda:

You start out with 1 or 2 medpacks that heal for like 325 or something like that max. But as you level you get some from quest rewards that heal for 425 max. I dont remember if there is a higher level one that you can purchase from the med droid, but those ones you get from rewards should be good enough. If you haven't succeeded already just remember DO NOT use Shock. I cannot emphasize this point enough...if you use it you will quickly empty your resource bar leaving you with nothing but the basic attack which is very very weak.

If you do decide to go with the Assassin AC just keep the same thing in mind...manage your resource. Look at your talents, especially if you go with the middle AC tree. There are talents in there that reduce the cost of shock by 50%, and increase your force regen for several seconds after leaving stealth. I think even some that reduce the cost of Maul, which you dont get until level 10 when you choose assassin, but it is a backstab type ability that has a pretty high resource cost.

Edited by swtonewbie

You start out with 1 or 2 medpacks that heal for like 325 or something like that max. But as you level you get some from quest rewards that heal for 425 max. I dont remember if there is a higher level one that you can purchase from the med droid, but those ones you get from rewards should be good enough. If you haven't succeeded already just remember DO NOT use Shock. I cannot emphasize this point enough...if you use it you will quickly empty your resource bar leaving you with nothing but the basic attack which is very very weak.

If you do decide to go with the Assassin AC just keep the same thing in mind...manage your resource. Look at your talents, especially if you go with the middle AC tree. There are talents in there that reduce the cost of shock by 50%, and increase your force regen for several seconds after leaving stealth. I think even some that reduce the cost of Maul, which you dont get until level 10 when you choose assassin, but it is a backstab type ability that has a pretty high resource cost.

I'm going as Sorcerer, I just prefer firing down at people from far away. :)

Edited by RocketeerRaccoon
Added more information.

Yeah try not to use shock as an iquisitor or an assassin. Unless you pick darkness(tank) build for assassin then you'd be using shock more because you have crazy fast force regen, shocks force cost is reduced by 30% I believe. Also shock gets procd by thrash maul and assassinate and you get energize which crits it and if it consumes recklessness it's crits do 50% more damage. Plus there is harness darkness which wither and shock proc but before you get wither you'd be spamming Shock off cd for it. But this tree is the only one for assassin that almost revolves around shock. But it sound like you want to be a sorc. So that won't apply to you. I can't really help with dps sorc because (where as I have a sage which is the same play style) it has been a healer since I created it. But if you make it a healer I'd be glad to help.