Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well "this year" is gone, which means they've gone from not clarifying their official stance to not even having an official stance. That being the case, I guess I won't be renewing my sub after all :( . Depending on how it's implemented maybe I'll f2p my way through when they add it and reassess then; I do still like the gameplay, so hopefully... but I'm certainly not paying to wait.

On a lighter note; happy new year.

Since I've only recently returned and hardly done anything I'll keep playing until we know. I very highly doubt I'll stick around if they give a definitive no, even if I haven't played a char of each of the base classes going both light and dark side (yes, I tend to play all possible variants, one thing I like about Rift is that with its Role system one char can be multiple variants, and they allow a lot of variance for their four base classes). Although, I did create a Jedi Consular that I then ran up to lvl 10 to see the Sage and Shadow skill trees (she was going to go Sage from the get-go, due to the archetype I was using for her, but I wanted the comparison), and sadly it looks to me like on the force using classes they just did a copy-paste-and-edit as you have skill in the exact same spots on the skill trees with the exact same effects. I think the only actual difference between the Sorcerer and the Sage is the effects of the skill the Sage gets in place of Chain Lightning and some of its enhancement skills. Oh, and with the Sith doing Energy damage while the Jedi does Kinetic damage, but the damage values are the same so that doesn't mean anything unless you have both fighting together against enemies with mixed weaknesses/strengths.

Since I've only recently returned and hardly done anything I'll keep playing until we know. I very highly doubt I'll stick around if they give a definitive no, even if I haven't played a char of each of the base classes going both light and dark side (yes, I tend to play all possible variants, one thing I like about Rift is that with its Role system one char can be multiple variants, and they allow a lot of variance for their four base classes). Although, I did create a Jedi Consular that I then ran up to lvl 10 to see the Sage and Shadow skill trees (she was going to go Sage from the get-go, due to the archetype I was using for her, but I wanted the comparison), and sadly it looks to me like on the force using classes they just did a copy-paste-and-edit as you have skill in the exact same spots on the skill trees with the exact same effects. I think the only actual difference between the Sorcerer and the Sage is the effects of the skill the Sage gets in place of Chain Lightning and some of its enhancement skills. Oh, and with the Sith doing Energy damage while the Jedi does Kinetic damage, but the damage values are the same so that doesn't mean anything unless you have both fighting together against enemies with mixed weaknesses/strengths.

It plays a bit differently in other areas, like stun vs knockback. But yeah, that's why my JK is Sentinel and going Juggernaut with my SW, IA is OP while Smuggler is Gunslinger. However, I love BH Arsenal Spec so much, I'm just repeating it's Trooper variant :p

Not being the PC one in this thread, but not being one against SGR either, the more I play, the more I think this should be made an option, just so people have a choice.

My SI has 1 option. My BH has 1 option. Don't even get multiple options with Talos or Gault (love his personality, but I really couldn't see my BH going after him).

And it's not a case for all classes/genders to have just 1 option. I just happened to have two of the characters I've focused on stuck with 1 option :(

Edit: And thinking about it, that's like the "Time and budget" reason. Some of the scenes wouldn't work if you, so they'd have to make new scenes/triggers for scenes.

Edited by SithKoriandr

Topic #4: Same Gender Romance: Any news on this front would be great…

Answer: First of all, I want to apologize that this is taking so long to get in the game. I realize that we promised SGR to you guys and that many of you believed that this would be with a companion character. Unfortunately, this will take a lot more work than we realized at the time and it (like some other pieces of content we talked about earlier in the year) has been delayed as we focused on the changes required to take the game Free-to-Play. As we have said in the past, allowing same gender romance is something we are very supportive of.

Secondly, I want to reveal today that we are adding SGR with some NPCs on Makeb and do intend on pursuing more SGR options in the future. More details to come!

About time we heard something of an update! Thanks for finally sending some attention this way, Jeff :)

Link found here.

"....and that many of you believed that this would be with a companion character" This sounds uncomfortably close to saying "but it won't happen" :(

Edited by Noremacv

OMG....is that finally.... AN ANSWER???? :eek:

Wow...ok, that wasn't so hard, was it? I mean, couldn't they have said that months ago? Sheesh.

Hard to say whether the NPC stuff will be enough to make up for a year of no companion romance, but it's a start. And there's hope for the future. I can't say this is the most satisfying answer I could hope for, but it sure beats the silence.

Edited by chuixupu

About time we heard something of an update! Thanks for finally sending some attention this way, Jeff :)

Link found here.

"....and that many of you believed that this would be with a companion character" This sounds uncomfortably close to saying "but it won't happen" :(

Okay. Thanks, guys, for posting that link. Hugely appreciated. So appreciated you don't even know.

Hmm. Okay, okay. So. This is an actual update. A real, live update. Of actual information. Along with an apology and an acknowledgement that we've been waiting, AND that it's been delayed.

WOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Ahem. Now that's out of the way, seriously positive news. With this it's far, far easier to bear a longer wait. HUGELY positive move. I could concentrate on how long it took them or how they could have just confirmed Gabe's earlier comment on Makeb or how there's no updated ETA but you know what? Stuff it. I'm too busy being positive over this, and no update is ever flawless.

So SGR flirt options with Makeb, and by the sounds of it, any SGR with a companion will be a special one-size fits all companion...which seeing as how this is the breakdown for possible romance options for the classes...

SI: Male - 1 / Female - 1

SW: Male - 2 / Female - 2

IA: Male - 2 / Female - 1

BH: Male - 1 / Female - 1

JC: Male - 1 / Female - 2 (note: male doesnt even get the romance option untill last companion)

JW: Male - 1 / Female - 1

SM: Male - 2 / Female - 1

TR: Male - 1 / Female - 1

I'm not to surprised by it. Which goes back to my thought that the storylines are not as unique as people keep wanting to tell me, and has me going back to thinking TOR isn't so much a storydriven MMO, but rather a MMO with a storyline for each class versus a catch all storyline.

I guess it's because I know I've got crappy work days ahead of me, but am I the only one a little... underwhelmed?

I mean, it's good that we're getting NPC flirt options, and it's nice that Mr. Hickman acknowledged the wait for this content, but...

...eh.

Hurray, at last some form of answer.

Do we still send cupcakes? lol

^.^

Woah woah woah. Cupcakes? I support this idea completely and thoroughly.

In all honesty, as Jeff stated in his blog, apologies for such a delay in an official response, but I'm glad we were finally able to provide it for you. Thanks for your patience through all of this. Here's to a great 2013 for SWTOR and its community!

Maybe someone can give them cupcakes at the San Fran Cantina tour, if that's still happening. :cool:

Don't take my response to be unhappy, I was very happy to see the response, I'm just cautiously guarding my enthusiasm with healthy skepticism and sarcasm. ;)

So SGR flirt options with Makeb, and by the sounds of it, any SGR with a companion will be a special one-size fits all companion...which seeing as how this is the breakdown for possible romance options for the classes...

Actually I don't think there's anything that implies how they're going to address companion SGRAs, other than 'not with Makeb'. They're throwing in non-companion NPC flirts, and are working toward companion SGRAs at a later date.

I mean we can read things into their words until the cows come home. The past nine months or so of silence shows that it doesn't do much good to do so.

What I'm now hoping for is a developer post here at the front lines. That'd be nice.

I think what he's saying is that the first run of SGRs won't be companions, because that's taking a long time (I can't help but wonder if there's an issue with voice actor(s) here...what else could be so much more complicated than the other romances?), and that the first run will be NPC flirts, instead. Good news for 50s (who buy the expasion), they haven't missed out on anything...yet. Hopefully they'll have the time to go back and add flirts to 1-50 content, though, in addition to getting around to companions one day.

And with that, I pre-order Makeb.

Was that so goddamn hard?

(Amusingly, my only 50 is my hopelessly-stuck-on-Satele Knight, who won't even be using any flirt options on Makeb.)

(I'm really hoping that "more details to come" means that now that they've finally realized how bloody stupid their gag order is and broken it with that first statement, we're going to get... more details.)

On a disappointing note, I just found out that the profanity filter in ingame chat (which I turned off on day one) filters "bisexual." Two steps forward, one step back with my esteem for these guys on this front.

Y'know what? I should be happy we finally got a response, but I'm really not.

Basically, all the ideas and suggestions we've been encouraged to make (into a void no less) over the past year, and it boils down to this - buy Makeb or no inclusion for you - so 'pay-for-gay'.

I can't be the only one pissed off by this :mad:

On a disappointing note, I just found out that the profanity filter in ingame chat (which I turned off on day one) filters "bisexual." Two steps forward, one step back with my esteem for these guys on this front.

Yyyyeah, that's probably something that could be changed.

Y'know what? I should be happy we finally got a response, but I'm really not.

Basically, all the ideas and suggestions we've been encouraged to make (into a void no less) over the past year, and it boils down to this - buy Makeb or no inclusion for you - so 'pay-for-gay'.

I can't be the only one pissed off by this :mad:

Don't be too quick on that. When Makeb goes in I'm sure a lot of content will be added across the board (if it's anything like every other expansion I've seen in MMOs), not all of which will require the expansion purchase. Perhaps the NPCs that will be SGR flirt-enabled will be right across the board, in non-Makeb areas? This is info we don't have yet.