SWTOR Unleashed (game files in RAM to improve performance)

exca

Hey,

when I quit the game in Unleashed mode, how do I start it again without ramdrive being rebuild from scratch?

I already had this question and response was that program is already doing that yet I observed that it is being recreated when I click "Unleashed". I must be doing something wrong then but cannot pinpoint it.

Thanks

PS. If anybody wonders - program works equally great with Win 8 Pro.

If you reboot between it's normal. It won't rebuild it if you don't reboot in the mean time.

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey,

when I quit the game in Unleashed mode, how do I start it again without ramdrive being rebuild from scratch?

I already had this question and response was that program is already doing that yet I observed that it is being recreated when I click "Unleashed". I must be doing something wrong then but cannot pinpoint it.

If you simply quit the game in Unleashed mode and wish to start it back up, simply use your normal swtor launcher, since the RAM disk is already created and symbolic links used, it will be fine.

in response to your linked post... there is no way to keep it stored in RAM during a reboot or a shutdown. You could set Unleashed to run at startup and there is info on the first page regarding this.

We don't have to do this on other games. We shouldn't need a "How To" list from other members to do it to this game. Other games I played run perfectly fine with no over heating. However I will use some of the advice listed. It's just sad we have take advice from fellow members rather then the game just run fine on it's own.

If you simply quit the game in Unleashed mode and wish to start it back up, simply use your normal swtor launcher, since the RAM disk is already created and symbolic links used, it will be fine.

in response to your linked post... there is no way to keep it stored in RAM during a reboot or a shutdown. You could set Unleashed to run at startup and there is info on the first page regarding this.

I already answered him. He should start unleashed with swtor unleashed, not the normal launcher. Never. Since it will verify everything is in place. If you do as you say you might encounter several problems depending on what you do between 2 game sessions.

We don't have to do this on other games. We shouldn't need a "How To" list from other members to do it to this game. Other games I played run perfectly fine with no over heating. However I will use some of the advice listed. It's just sad we have take advice from fellow members rather then the game just run fine on it's own.

True, but you have to face it : either you'll run the game slower until they make a change, or you try to make it faster in the mean time one way or the other. Your choice.

I already answered him. He should start unleashed with swtor unleashed, not the normal launcher. Never. Since it will verify everything is in place. If you do as you say you might encounter several problems depending on what you do between 2 game sessions.

hmm... I have been doing this since I started using it, 6+ months. Granted typically I don't do it often.... random DC's... forget to start mumble first (for the overlay)... etc. But never had any issues with it, EVER.

True, but you have to face it : either you'll run the game slower until they make a change, or you try to make it faster in the mean time one way or the other. Your choice.

It's not that I don't give credit to those who made this feature. I downloaded and support it. What frustrates me a bit. Is that a person playing the game. Not bioware had to make this. Gamers are actually working on methods to speed it up faster then the actual dev's on the game.

What does that say?

It's not that I don't give credit to those who made this feature. I downloaded and support it. What frustrates me a bit. Is that a person playing the game. Not bioware had to make this. Gamers are actually working on methods to speed it up faster then the actual dev's on the game.

What does that say?

This is wrong

Firstly - of course BW makes efforts all the time to improve the speed of their game. Just because you're unaware of those efforts, or don't think they're fast enough does not mean they don't exist

Secondly - this kind of thing would not be a feasible way for BW to increase performance on the average users system, it's far too cumbersome for the average mmo player and would cause more problems.

That said - it's good for those of us with a little know how and don't mind the huge loading times to squeeze a little more performance out of the game.

Edited by tolaez

It will outperform 10x at least the best SDD, so yes.

A RAMdisk will usually benchmark faster than an SSD (not SDD), but the extra speed is not needed to eliminate loading delays in SWTOR. The 3x speed boost of the SSD is plenty - and you only need one launcher and one configuration. I have done this on 5 different machines and the result is the same every time - move to SSD and SWTOR runs smooth as silk.

A RAMdisk will usually benchmark faster than an SSD (not SDD), but the extra speed is not needed to eliminate loading delays in SWTOR. The 3x speed boost of the SSD is plenty - and you only need one launcher and one configuration. I have done this on 5 different machines and the result is the same every time - move to SSD and SWTOR runs smooth as silk.

SWTOR uses about up to 8Gb of data (provided you have high settings) continuously. And it's limited to 2.5Gb used at the same time. So it loads in and out of those 2.5Gb data continuously. When it comes to frames per second, the impact is huge. It's a lot faster to do this from RAM to RAM than from SSD to RAM. RAM will deliver the data nearly instantaneously whereas it'll take a few ms for your SSD to do it. Check the FPS drops in PVP or crowded areas with classic HD, SSD, HD+unleashed, SSD+unleashed. Results are self explanatory.

Some tests (partly loaded game in ram drive, whole game in ram drive, cache files of game in ram drive, dynamic + cache files in ram drive) showed that RAM drive give large boost on slow systems, but on Asus G75 with 32 GB RAM ... game loads 10-15% faster than from 7200 HDD.

No point found to load whole game in RAM drive, cache & dynamics is most usable option.

Ever tried it with AMD RAMdisk?

http://www.radeonramdisk.com/

I'm curious in trying this out. Will get an SSD today, Samsung 830. It's not the fastest, but since my mobo still has SATA2 it won't matter much anyway, but primarily chose this one because it has the best reliability reviews.

With 8GB of OCZ Fatality DDR2 RAM, is it worth trying a RAMdisk solution?

There are not many better SSDs than the Samsung 830 right now.. the 840 Pro is about it. A buddy and I where comparing our setups, My Samsung 830, ADATA SX900, OCZ Agility 2 and his OCZ agility 4 and the 830 beats them all with out much issue. the Intel 520s and one other I can't think of off the top of my head are right on par or slightly better than the 830 but the last time i looked their prices where a bit higher.. Of course on SATA2, you won't notice a huge difference. But the 830 is still one of the better buys right now especially with their dropping price.

just commenting on the drive choice... i think you made a great choice.

I've been using Primo RamDisk. Not free but runs really nice.

• 3 weeks later...
It takes 5 whole minutes for the SWTOR launcher to... uh... launch after I've clicked "SWTOR Unleashed". Why is this?
I believe the ramdisk is created and game files are copied during this time.

I would ask for help with C6 error (less than 2GB free space on the disk) which I have since last patch. I reduced files to see if it helps - as expected, it did not. In Retail mode game runs without this error.

Any advice on C6 error? Thanks!

I have recently changed to W8 Pro but had no problems with Unleashed until patch so I think it is not an issue.

EDIT: I found a solution myself - edited Unleashed.xml file to increase ramdrive size to have at least 2GB free on launch of TOR. I just leave the problem and solution here. :)

Edited by BogyOne

Version 3.3.1 is out.

Please update. It is now possible to launch it with less RAM since I added calculations including windows pagefile.

[*]Version 3.3.1 ; 2012-11-25

• [FIX] added paginated ram into calculation for warning popups. By the way, it still requires you have at least 2.5GB + unleashed available of physical memory.

Edited by exca

I believe the ramdisk is created and game files are copied during this time.

I would ask for help with C6 error (less than 2GB free space on the disk) which I have since last patch. I reduced files to see if it helps - as expected, it did not. In Retail mode game runs without this error.

Any advice on C6 error? Thanks!

I have recently changed to W8 Pro but had no problems with Unleashed until patch so I think it is not an issue.

EDIT: I found a solution myself - edited Unleashed.xml file to increase ramdrive size to have at least 2GB free on launch of TOR. I just leave the problem and solution here. :)

Wow, wow, wow...... wait a minute. Can you send us here a screenshot of your error?

And tell me how much RAM you have, and how much free space you have on your hard drives.

Modifying the XML file is not recommended. Else you take full responsability of any misbehavior of the software.

As of now I don't understand your issue (not explained precisely enough).

I get no error when running SWTOR Unleashed, it just takes a long time to boot. It probably comes has to do with how much I put on the RAMDisk.

It needs to copy files from your hard drive to RAM when you launch the game. The more you put, the longer it will take. But when you'll be in game, instead of reading "slowly" on your hard drive, it will read very fast in RAM those files. That's what this software is made for.

Um...any idea what this means?

The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: SWTOR_RAM, DeviceName: \Device\ImDisk0.

({No Disk}

There is no disk in the drive.

Please insert a disk into drive %hs.)

I guess you tried to trick the software one way or the other. Do "remove and quit" to clean and delete the ram drive. Then play retail or unleashed as you wish (it will recreate a clean ram drive).

I guess you tried to trick the software one way or the other. Do "remove and quit" to clean and delete the ram drive. Then play retail or unleashed as you wish (it will recreate a clean ram drive).

OK, I'll try that. Odd thing is, that happened when I booted up my PC, not when I ran Unleashed...maybe because I forgot to remove the RAMDISK when I turned it off?

It shouldn't be needed

OK, still getting the error. There are 4396 new instances of it in the event log in the past 24 hours.

Full details:

The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: SWTOR_RAM, DeviceName: \Device\ImDisk2.

({No Disk}

There is no disk in the drive.

Please insert a disk into drive %hs.)

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs

[ Guid] {3FF37A1C-A68D-4D6E-8C9B-F79E8B16C482}

EventID 140

Version 0

Level 3

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000008

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2012-11-27T21:47:00.077254200Z

EventRecordID 61069

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4

[ ThreadID] 1304

Channel System

- EventData

VolumeId SWTOR_RAM

DeviceName \Device\ImDisk2

Error 0xc0000013

As for the second error:

The default transaction resource manager on volume SWTOR_RAM encountered a non-retryable error and could not start. The data contains the error code.

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Ntfs

- EventID 137

[ Qualifiers] 49156

Level 2

Task 2

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2012-11-27T21:44:06.109434300Z

EventRecordID 60951

Channel System

Security

- EventData

SWTOR_RAM

1C0004000200300002000000890004C000000000130000C000000000000000000000000000000000130000C0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Binary data:

In Words

0000: 0004001C 00300002 00000002 C0040089

0008: 00000000 C0000013 00000000 00000000

0010: 00000000 00000000 C0000013

In Bytes

0000: 1C 00 04 00 02 00 30 00 ......0.

0008: 02 00 00 00 89 00 04 C0 ....‰..À

0010: 00 00 00 00 13 00 00 C0 .......À

0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

0028: 13 00 00 C0 ...À