Is there any evidence....

Wolfninjajedi

Is there any evidence in books of jedi going hand to hand combat? I mean in the movies, we see little of this going on.

Qui-gon & Obi-Wan vs Maul

Obi-Wan vs Anakin

Obi-Wan vs Jango

Are really the only areas in the movies, where we see some form of fighting without their lightsabers. I would think and rather hope so that jedi would be excellent, if not masters in hand to hand combat due to the fact they pretty much train up close with their lightsabers. In fact I would also like to think, that their lightsaber style also helps them with hand to hand. In the movies they show little bits and peices of them using hand to hand, but at the same time they don't seem to make the jedi any good at it(though guess you can exclude Obi vs Jango).

Edit: Wait actually watching Obi-Wan vs Jango and really looking at it, Obi was kicking Jango's ***(least hand to hand wise)....but anyway my question still stands.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

By "hand to hand" combat, I assume you mean unarmed combat. In my experience, hand to hand combat is just another term for melee combat, which can include weapons.

In light of unarmed combat, Star Wars lore has an unarmed combat tradition known as Tëras Käsi. It was developed by non-Force sensitives to fight Jedi and Sith alike but, some of them were suspected of adopting some of the unarmed fighting style.

By "hand to hand" combat, I assume you mean unarmed combat. In my experience, hand to hand combat is just another term for melee combat, which can include weapons.

In light of unarmed combat, Star Wars lore has an unarmed combat tradition known as Tëras Käsi. It was developed by non-Force sensitives to fight Jedi and Sith alike but, some of them were suspected of adopting some of the unarmed fighting style.

In the movie where Darth Maul Is fighting Obi and Qui Maul uses a move called "flying bantha." Teras Kasi. Back on the old SWG forums there was a quote form a book saying Darth Maul had indeed studied Teras Kasi. Note his use of a "staff " light saber.

Meetra (Exile) fought hand to hand with a bunch of handmaidens

Indeed. It is confirmed that the Jedi Order (and the Sith, iirc) did train students Martial Arts as a fallback/last resort. Just that said "Martial arts" haven't really been titled.. Teras Kasi was said to have been adopted by the Jedi and they were trained in it to some degree. Complicating as the Mandalorians themselves have their own hand-to-hand form as well.

Meetra however studied the Echani form (more specifically proportions of it). The Echani were reverred for being amazing hand-to-hand combatants.

Isn't there some lore-material which says that the Teras Kasi form adopted some of the Echani art as a basis? I think I remember reading that somewhere.

Edited by Oonkeh_

Is there any evidence in books of jedi going hand to hand combat? I mean in the movies, we see little of this going on.

Qui-gon & Obi-Wan vs Maul

Obi-Wan vs Anakin

Obi-Wan vs Jango

Are really the only areas in the movies, where we see some form of fighting without their lightsabers. I would think and rather hope so that jedi would be excellent, if not masters in hand to hand combat due to the fact they pretty much train up close with their lightsabers. In fact I would also like to think, that their lightsaber style also helps them with hand to hand. In the movies they show little bits and peices of them using hand to hand, but at the same time they don't seem to make the jedi any good at it(though guess you can exclude Obi vs Jango).

Edit: Wait actually watching Obi-Wan vs Jango and really looking at it, Obi was kicking Jango's ***(least hand to hand wise)....but anyway my question still stands.

Watch a few TCW shows and even though its not in the movies read Shatterpoint.

Mace goes insane with Unarmed Fighting.

I think like real warriors they just went at it with the weapons and hand to hand as a last resort. Like people used to train with rapiers and swords or all types and grappling and boxing, but I think that was a last resort in combat. So you work the saber first until you lose it like Kenobi did.