Developer Update: Scout Class Starfighter

CourtneyWoods

I was playing scout mainly on the weekend. I think a strike fighter's rate of turn needs to be equal or even greater than the scout's. The scout has the advantage of speed, as the article says "They can then easily boost away from any Strike Fighters...", but why would you when you can out dogfight them?

Love the scout. First to the stations is usually first to win.

At the beginning of each fight I press F3 to get maximum engines, spacebar to boost to the station, then circle around the innermost area of the stations, protected by those flaps that show who owns the station. With the scout's speed, most craft can't hit me. I just circle around forever, either winning the station as my teammates take out the enemy or slow the enemy down from taking over the station, and hopefully annoy them in the process.

Also I suck at dogfighting so this is pretty much all I CAN do, fly fast, hope I don't get hit, and fly circles around the enemy.

Can't wait to try out the Sting/NovaDive next weekend, didn't have enough fleet req to purchase it this weekend since I spent alot of it on gunships hah

I think you killed me 3 times in the last Battle I ran on Saturday night.

I wasn't really diggin' the GS, but you rocked rocked it!

I can't wait to try out the 2nd tier Scout ship, It reminds me of the A-wing which has been my favorite in every SW Flight sim I have played.

While I don't plan on playing the expansion until it comes out for subs December 3rd, I think the scout ship will be the first ship I try out. Whenever I played Battlefront 2, I usually picked the interceptor ships and ran circles around my opponents. My guess is the BF2 interceptors have a similar feel to the GS scout, either way can't wait!

I was playing scout mainly on the weekend. I think a strike fighter's rate of turn needs to be equal or even greater than the scout's. The scout has the advantage of speed, as the article says "They can then easily boost away from any Strike Fighters...", but why would you when you can out dogfight them?

Strike fighters may have a slightly harder time bringing their weapons to bear, but when they do, they shred scouts.

Psttt designers you keep putting ships in with strike foils but they're always locked in the closed position when actually playing the game.:( This happened with the Fury and now it's happening with the S-12 Blackbolt just a suggestion but you might want to fix this so ships look right while in combat.:rolleyes:

You can go for the turning thrusters on the Strike Fighter and to be honest i think its a good idea to, that 10% in total makes a fair difference imho.

This helped a great deal in fighting Scouts, but patient Gunships with a steady hand easily trump most Strike Fighters, as they just don't have the evasion or speed to extend the range from a deft sniper's shot. Strike Fighters don't need to be able to run; they need to be able to fight, and being one shot by a Gunship isn't fun at all.

Edited by JarekCyphus

This helped a great deal in fighting Scouts, but patient Gunships with a steady hand easily trump most Strike Fighters, as they just don't have the evasion or speed to extend the range from a deft sniper's shot. Strike Fighters don't need to be able to run; they need to be able to fight, and being one shot by a Gunship isn't fun at all.

Try not using charged plating shields. The 50% bleedthrough makes them pretty terrible.

I only managed to test out the Starguard and can say that dogfighting those pesky scout ships is very entertaining. Often in a 1v1 battle we would be stuck in an "infinite" loop where each of us barely managed to get into firing arc and then out again.

Running away from one or more Scoutships in a starfighter is pretty hard as they tend to catch up rather quickly and only by using terrain to your advantage can a strike fighter pilot hope to escape.

I must say i really enjoyed the time and am looking forward to the next PTS were ill hopefully be able to try out FT-6 Pike.

Why is the novadive "scoutier" than the flashfire? The flashfire looks more like the iconic A-WIng (thanks bio for putting in a delta-wing craft!) . and the nova looks more like a dogfighter

I think they should reverse the focus of the novadive and the flashfire.

i have only one problem with this exp. they should have made it more like the swg space were its all open. so u can control were u want to fly, if u want to fight instead of limiting it to only pvp

making that change now would add another 3 years and half billion dollars to the development costs

Derp alert, derp alert, ring ding ding...

soooo what yer saying is yes they are as ugly in the game as the pics show.

don't understand why you have to call me a derp. sometimes a static pic will look bad but once you are in game it actually looks good.

this expansion was the only reason i got back into this game... but the more i see the more im thinking i shouldn't have B^(

Edited by Edzew

soooo what yer saying is yes they are as ugly in the game as the pics show.

don't understand why you have to call me a derp. sometimes a static pic will look bad but once you are in game it actually looks good.

this expansion was the only reason i got back into this game... but the more i see the more im thinking i shouldn't have B^(

And the more I read from you, the more I wonder why you're subbed... it's clear you just want to believe yourself. That's fine, but the forums aren't really the place for having a conversation with yourself.