Cartel Market will have opposite effect than intended

KhalDrogoe

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because you decided to go the fail Battle Master Bag route, people aren't going to bother with the gambling anymore.

The point of the market I thought was to provide a few extra things for people to use their coins on. Now instead of wanting to keep money in your pockets, I predict that no one is going to dish out anymore for the the rolling of the bags. I can see them going to 3rd party sites to buy credits (cheaper than your cartel coins) and just buying whatever they want that way.

If you're wanting a continued successful in-game store for people to dump their money into, make it worthwhile, or else they're just going to go to 3rd party websites that can ACTUALLY OFFER THEM the things they want.

Are you kidding? Literally EVERYONE I've talked to has loved the random bag idea and has spent money on it. Bioware, from a financial point of view, hit a homerun with what they did. They've made so much money from cartel coins.

Because you decided to go the fail Battle Master Bag route, people aren't going to bother with the gambling anymore.

The point of the market I thought was to provide a few extra things for people to use their coins on. Now instead of wanting to keep money in your pockets, I predict that no one is going to dish out anymore for the the rolling of the bags. I can see them going to 3rd party sites to buy credits (cheaper than your cartel coins) and just buying whatever they want that way.

If you're wanting a continued successful in-game store for people to dump their money into, make it worthwhile, or else they're just going to go to 3rd party websites that can ACTUALLY OFFER THEM the things they want.

The BM bag was a terrible idea because that was for items you needed to play. The cash shop bags are completely superfluous items that are not necessary at all.

Oh, and it's making BW/EA tons of money. Working as intended.

I spent about $80 on cartel coins after the launch, and bought probably a dozen packs just to see what was up.

Although I got a few nice things, and have mostly been transferring those to alts to be used rather than try to sell them, I think the general gist of this thread is correct. I will no longer be purchasing any of these packs. I will only be purchasing sets of armors or other items that I know what I'm getting when I click that button.

And some of those armors, like the Outlaw's set, are awesome and well worth it, IMHO. But that's the last cash they'll get from me for the cartel packs. So, I hope they have something else in mind for the store... if it's just a bunch of other packs... they'll have to reap their profits on the other gamblers.

If they start adding armor items and other things that we can see and "preview" before we purchase, then they'll get a lot more coin usage out of me. It's up to them. I hope they choose wisely! :)

I spent about $80 on cartel coins after the launch, and bought probably a dozen packs just to see what was up.

Although I got a few nice things, and have mostly been transferring those to alts to be used rather than try to sell them, I think the general gist of this thread is correct. I will no longer be purchasing any of these packs. I will only be purchasing sets of armors or other items that I know what I'm getting when I click that button.

And some of those armors, like the Outlaw's set, are awesome and well worth it, IMHO. But that's the last cash they'll get from me for the cartel packs. So, I hope they have something else in mind for the store... if it's just a bunch of other packs... they'll have to reap their profits on the other gamblers.

If they start adding armor items and other things that we can see and "preview" before we purchase, then they'll get a lot more coin usage out of me. It's up to them. I hope they choose wisely! :)

Not to be snarky...

But you just described how you are going to continue paying $ beyond your sub on Cartel Shop items, so long as BW puts things you find interesting in the shop.

Ergo; Extra Money

Ipso facto, CC Shop working as intended.

(Your point? Not sure...)

Edited by -IceHawk-

Look guys I saw a Nihilis mask on gtn going for 10 mill....so whats to stop somebody from going to a rmt'er to get credits for it??

So yeah cartel packs had the opposite effect..they should put the rarer items on cartel market for 15$ or so..save alot of headaches.

There was a posting made by someone who spent over $240.00 already in extra cartel coins. That alone, is equal to 16 new paid subs. I personally did not spend anywhere near that amount however, I did purchase some more coins for a bit of a gamble and fun on some bags. Between my paid subscription and my extra coins, I provided BW with about 3 accounts for the month. 2 of which would be considered new.

Exactly, they are making plenty off the packs and people like us, who are buying packs, are subsidizing the game for the people who don't want to pay to sub or who don't spend any money. Instead of being thankful there's a system out there for some of us to subsidize the game for everyone else so that the game can continue to operate, they are complaining and whining. If you don't like the packs or don't want to spend money on them, then don't. There's nothing in the packs that is essential to being able to play the game. People need to quit crying that someone else got an Overlord's Throne or Mask of Nihilus in a pack and they didn't. Just like pretty much anything else in life, you don't always get what you want.

so someone will still need to buy the packs to get the items to put on the GTN in order for the person who buys credits to buy them, I don't see where EA / Biowear loses on that

That's right. It does not really matter for Bioware by who or why the pack are purchased, as long as there is demand for the items.

Cash Shop items purchased with real currency and then sold for in-game credits is one of the pillar of Free-To-Play.

Edited by Elysith

Not to be snarky...

But you just described how you are going to continue paying $ beyond your sub on Cartel Shop items, so long as BW puts things you find interesting in the shop.

Ergo; Extra Money

Ipso facto, CC Shop working as intended.

(Your point? Not sure...)

Good thing you weren't snarky!

In the OP, the focus of what was going to change the success of the market was the Cartel Packs and random gambling aspect, not just the basic existence of the store.

I was simply attempting to justify that with my own anecdotal information.

The Cartel Market will work juat like Diablo 3. That is, it will make an awesome profit in spite of its design flaws, because it is new and shiny. Seeing some of the gaping flaws in design, I assume that Bioware will do exactly loke Blizzard and not realize that they would make sooo much more money if they designed it better. The cash will drop pff in a month or two, and then they will start designing more horrible content to push the cash shop and further hamper the overall game experience.... yup.... exactly loke Diablo 3. (pardon typos from cell phone) Edited by Darth_Vampirius

The Cartel Market will work juat like Diablo 3. That is, it will make an awesome profit in spite of its design flaws, because it is new and shiny. Seeing some of the gaping flaws in design, I assume that Bioware will do exactly loke Blizzard and not realize that they would make sooo much more money if they designed it better. The cash will drop pff in a month or two, and then they will start designing more horrible content to push the cash shop and further hamper the overall game experience.... yup.... exactly loke Diablo 3. (pardon typos from cell phone)

This, people dont realize that the Cash Shop is BW's new form of content additions. Real content will get a bone here and there but Cash Shop will take precedence. The rarity of the items are not really that rare and as soon as most people have what they want, sales will slow down. Guess what happens then? More Cash Shop items.

We begged and begged for more fluff type stuff and more gear models and that sort of thing before F2P was even thought of. They didnt have time for it. Watch how much time they have for it now.

Give it a few weeks. I think once many players have the cartel items they want the effect of the cartel market will be quite insignificant. When does a shiny lose it's luster? The potential problem with the system is that they have set themselves up now to continue to introduce new cartel stuff. Nobody will be gambling if they have no more reasons to gamble. More importantly, the in-game economy has changed; people can now buy cartel coins to acquire stuff that has value and sell it for credits. While this is not pay to win, it is definitely 'pay to progress faster then some who don't pay'. There will be complaints with any change but the question is whether it will have any lasting impact. Edited by Tordos

I paid 80 bucks got one white crystal, 3 purple-pink crystals and a bunch of garbage loot.

No chair

No mask

No monkey lizard

No Gizka

No purple weapons

I got a crap-ton of exp boosts, elegant naked girl armor, naked torso armor and a ton of the crappy speeders....heck I didnt even get a manta.

*edit* oh and about a thousand companion gifts/ useless mats for professions people dont bother to buy.

Jus sayin.

Edited by TrakonBazzaak

I paid 80 bucks got one white crystal, 3 purple-pink crystals and a bunch of garbage loot.

No chair

No mask

No monkey lizard

No Gizka

No purple weapons

I got a crap-ton of exp boosts, elegant naked girl armor, naked torso armor and a ton of the crappy speeders....heck I didnt even get a manta.

*edit* oh and about a thousand companion gifts/ useless mats for professions people dont bother to buy.

Jus sayin.

Enjoy your 80 dollars worth of garbage :D

Judging from the amount of items sold on the GNT already, many, many people have bought packs, and I am rather thankful for it, because I have enough time to grind dailies and buy what I want this way without gambling.

Many people also posted about buying coins already, so it's not all people who spent their accumulated coins from being a subscriber. So far, the concept seems to work - people spend money! We'll have to see if it lasts or if people get fed up/upset with the gambling aspect of it.

Btw, the mask of Nihilus sells for more than 20 millions on my server - not buying that! :cool:

20 million!? I got mine for 2 million :eek:

This, people dont realize that the Cash Shop is BW's new form of content additions. Real content will get a bone here and there but Cash Shop will take precedence. The rarity of the items are not really that rare and as soon as most people have what they want, sales will slow down. Guess what happens then? More Cash Shop items.

But, if they were hesitant about investment in this game, the extra cash may help them finish all the concepts they started more promptly?

I suppose we'll see around the end of DEC what the future holds. :p

Enjoy your 80 dollars worth of garbage :D

One mans trash is another mans treasure.

Its not for YOU to decide how OTHERS spend their money. It may seem pointless to you - but than again - you're sitting here dishing out 15 dollars for this game just like the rest of us - if others want to spend more on something they think is worth their while, than leave them be and stop trolling this forum trying to prove your non-existent point.

There's a little town out in Nevada that was built on gambling. The cash shop is intended to bring in CASH. I would say it is doing a great job so far considering all the complaints of people spending $100's of real dollars for a chance at virtual items. No one is guaranteed that super rare item that's what makes it super rare.