I think I might be leaving, guys.

Brosephiine

Been around since the game was released pretty much. Been posting on and off on the forums since I got the game and I'm sadly disappointed. Perhaps I'm not finding those golden kernel threads where there's a good community and all that, but the forums are just filled to bursting with people doing almost nothing but complaining. And any time you say anything in disagreement, you're a "fanboi" who doesn't know anything about game development (even though I majored in game design at some point in the past.)

Honestly, the community (or lack there of) has made the forums nothing but a headache. :<

Someone please convince me that there's hope, I wanna see an actual community! And so far it's just been the facts about girls thread that's had any luck in that department. :<

(D+ for complaining about complaining? :p )

(F for grammar fail in the thread title.)

Edited by Brosephiine

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Forum Community is the only reason you are leaving - I'd say you are out of luck, wherever you go. (At least if you plan on heading to any "big" MMO.

There will always be someone happy. Someone unhappy. Someone raging. Someone raging at the people raging.

Someone asking for nerfs. Someone asking for buffs.

Someone posting why the game is awesome and asking when the next content patch is around. Someone posting why the game sucks and is dying.

Someone saying that there aren't enough patches. Someone whining because their gaming time was reduced due to the latest maintenance patch-related.

.. You know where I'm heading.

The only thing I can suggest - is to create your own little community within the game - fansite, guild, dunno - and feel like you belong there somehow.

I was mostly referring to the forums, I don't plan on leaving the game. xD Not until it's wholly dead, which it is not yet. I still have some hope for the game as a whole.

I'm just so tired of coming to the forums and seeing nothing but the same arguments followed by what amounts to, "MY LOGIC IS FLAWLESS BECAUSE ALIENS, FANBOI."

If the Forum Community is the only reason you are leaving - I'd say you are out of luck, wherever you go. (At least if you plan on heading to any "big" MMO.

There will always be someone happy. Someone unhappy. Someone raging. Someone raging at the people raging.

Someone asking for nerfs. Someone asking for buffs.

Someone posting why the game is awesome and asking when the next content patch is around. Someone posting why the game sucks and is dying.

Someone saying that there aren't enough patches. Someone whining because their gaming time was reduced due to the latest maintenance patch-related.

.. You know where I'm heading.

The only thing I can suggest - is to create your own little community within the game - fansite, guild, dunno - and feel like you belong there somehow.

The Paladin forum on WoW had a great community! I was a part of it for a long time and made some great friends. Those people moved on to the tanking forum after a while and the community grew. We have our own private facebook group now with 57 members. Of course you get some people complaining frequently, but there was always a thread or three that we all wound up talking in and a lot of the time you'd find the same group of people offering help and talking to each other.

The Paladin forum on WoW had a great community! I was a part of it for a long time and made some great friends. Those people moved on to the tanking forum after a while and the community grew. We have our own private facebook group now with 57 members. Of course you get some people complaining frequently, but there was always a thread or three that we all wound up talking in and a lot of the time you'd find the same group of people offering help and talking to each other.

Well - I have no (major) complaints about the Imperial Agent Forum, here, either :p

(Yes.. there is the occasional "lol, we sux roll something else" Thread - but the amount of helpful people, along with the story related threads, make up for it.

Well - I have no (major) complaints about the Imperial Agent Forum, here, either :p

(Yes.. there is the occasional "lol, we sux roll something else" Thread - but the amount of helpful people, along with the story related threads, make up for it.

Ooo, places of community. <3

I enjoyed a similar community of discussion and desire to help in the Shaman forums of WoW. In light of the "Nerf <blank> NOW!!!" threads polluting the PvP forums and the just plain old trolling and mudslinging occuring as a result I suggested that if people found themselves having an issue dealing with a certain AC they go to their AC forum and ask for help there first. That post promptly dropped off into the abyss and the complaining and certainty that absolutely everything and everyone needs to be nerfed continues unabated.

Nerf-herders, QQ'ers, fanbois, elitists, baddies, everyone is a member of some faction advancing the agenda of their own dark conspiracy. No one is just a player looking to discuss the game if you take these forums at face value.

I was mostly referring to the forums, I don't plan on leaving the game. xD Not until it's wholly dead, which it is not yet. I still have some hope for the game as a whole.

I'm just so tired of coming to the forums and seeing nothing but the same arguments followed by what amounts to, "MY LOGIC IS FLAWLESS BECAUSE ALIENS, FANBOI."

I don't blame you one bit. I enjoy the game, but the forums are a different matter. I attempted to start some positive threads, but they didn't really go anywhere, save for a few posts. I suppose that was partly my fault for not responding to some of the posts. :o

The reason I come to the forums is to see if there are any interesting topics posted. While there are some gems, they are few and far between. I suppose I could try another thread, but I'm a bit burned out from the forums right now. Maybe I'll try again in a few months.

There are a few people I have noticed that do have a good head on their shoulders and can post their points with level reasoning (you being one of them, Brosephiine), to which I personally am thankful for. It's good to see reason in a sea of chaos.

I think part of the problem is people these days expect...no demand perfection right from the start. And, when something isn't perfect, they call "FAIL! Fix it! NOW! Not on your time! My time!" :rolleyes: Yes, this game has been in production for a few years, but if anyone has ever written a book, produced a movie or piece of art, recorded and/or composed music, or have been part of a game project they know these things take time. Yes, some things can be in production for a long time before it is released, and even then the product still isn't 'perfect'. There's bugs, a miss pronounced word, a typo, or a bad note that was hit. But, mistakes can be fixed in later editions, patches, re-releases, etc. In a lot of cases even the fixes need time to be tested to make sure they aren't going to screw things up. And, even with all of the testing and caution, something still screws up. Nothing is ever perfect; nothing will ever be perfect.

The other issue I see is people not respecting the fact that other people have an opinion. If a gamer comes on and says they like the game, they are called 'biodrones' or 'fanbois'. So, stating your opinion about what is great in the game is negative. On the other hand, gamers come on here and say what they don't like about the game are called 'haters' and 'trolls' (never mind some actually are trolls). So, again, stating your opinion about what you don't like about the game is also negative. Yes, the tone in which some people state their opinion, on either side of the road, can lack in thought or maturity. The point is that gamers can't come on here and state their opinion without getting flamed.

So, basically too much complaining, many times about the same thing, lack of patience and respect of other gamers' opinions = lack of community. But, what can BioWare do about it? Mods do what they can to make sure a thread stays on topic and deletes any posts that go against forum rules. Maybe what needs to happen is those with the level heads need to get together and form their own community.

Anyway, that's my thought on the matter. And....

My logic is flawless, because...because I'm wearing a duck on my head. No one can argue with the duck. The duck is all powerful. So there. :p

Yep, it's late.

Edited by LadyNightArrow

Been around since the game was released pretty much. Been posting on and off on the forums

Honestly, the community (or lack there of) has made the forums nothing but a headache. :<

Someone please convince me that there's hope, I wanna see an actual community! And so far it's just been the facts about girls thread that's had any luck in that department. :<

Bold for your mistakes. One you browse the forums hoping to find people who are not complaining. Every game has this problem. No game is perfect and everyone has a problem with it. Stop letting others determine how you play the game and if you like or don't like it.

Edited by spectreclees

I don't blame you one bit. I enjoy the game, but the forums are a different matter. I attempted to start some positive threads, but they didn't really go anywhere, save for a few posts. I suppose that was partly my fault for not responding to some of the posts. :o

The reason I come to the forums is to see if there are any interesting topics posted. While there are some gems, they are few and far between. I suppose I could try another thread, but I'm a bit burned out from the forums right now. Maybe I'll try again in a few months.

Yeah, I think I might haunt a little bit now and then, but mostly I'll just stick to the game. I was hoping to find some good people to play with in game through the forums because I'm a social person and I enjoy making new friends. :D But mostly people make me want to avoid the forums. :< I can't even go in General Discussion now at all, it's just a mass of unrest.

There are a few people I have noticed that do have a good head on their shoulders and can post their points with level reasoning, to which I personally am thankful for. It's good to see reason in a sea of chaos.

I will say this one last time: I enjoy this game. I think BioWare is doing a good job. Yes, there are a few bugs in the game, just as there were at launch. But, I challenge anyone to name a published product that was 'flawless' when it was released.

Ahh, I cherish those people when I see them. xD I believe that's part of why I said you're one of my favorite people on these forums. You never have a flat out negative thing to say. :]

Most people think they know how a game is made/should work, but really have no clue. xD

I think part of the problem is people these days expect...no demand perfection right from the start. And, when something isn't perfect, they call "FAIL! Fix it! NOW! Not on your time! My time!" :rolleyes: Yes, this game has been in production for a few years, but if anyone has ever written a book, produced a movie or piece of art, recorded and/or composed music, or have been part of a game project they know these things take time. Yes, some things can be in production for a long time before it is released, and even then the product still isn't 'perfect'. There's bugs, a miss pronounced word, a typo, or a bad note that was hit. But, mistakes can be fixed in later editions, patches, re-releases, etc. In a lot of cases even the fixes need time to be tested to make sure they aren't going to screw things up. And, even with all of the testing and caution, something still screws up. Nothing is ever perfect; nothing will ever be perfect. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :cool:

The number of times I've had people say, "I like her hair, but can you make it a little longer? Oh, and you forgot socks. And she needs to have a trombone. Don't ask me why, she just does. Oh, and maybe pose her with her hand on her hip while swinging a microphone? Yes I know I want her with a trombone too, but can't you do those as well?"

My logic is flawless, because...because I'm wearing a duck on my head. No one can argue with the duck. The duck is all powerful. So there. :p

Yep, it's late.

Ducks are serious business. :cool:

Edited by Brosephiine

Bold for your mistakes. One you browse the forums hoping to find people who are not complaining. Every game has this problem. No game is perfect and everyone has a problem with it. Stop letting others determine how you play the game and if you like or don't like it.

Pshh, I play the game how I want and I LOVE it. No one's gonna take that away from me.

But I was hoping the forums would have more of a community than they do.

But... They're annoying. :<

Though I will say, this isn't so much about "omg stop complaining gawsh" as it is, "where's the community?" I've said it all over the place, I'm a social person. I LIKE talking to people and I'll even debate over game issues with people. I'm not averse to it and I'll admit when I'm wrong too. I just... Wish there was more community than there is.

Server merger would help to fix this I reckon. Pretty hard to have a community on forums, when 90% of servers have no community in game.

Well. The forums have no community because there is no community on in game servers aside from individual guilds. Bioware does not even provide the most basic of community creating tool for servers: A server forum. That and there is no global LFG channel per default. That combined with a lack of players creates the absence of a community.

Been around since the game was released pretty much. Been posting on and off on the forums since I got the game and I'm sadly disappointed. Perhaps I'm not finding those golden kernel threads where there's a good community and all that, but the forums are just filled to bursting with people doing almost nothing but complaining. And any time you say anything in disagreement, you're a "fanboi" who doesn't know anything about game development (even though I majored in game design at some point in the past.)

Complainers will alwys be the loudest on any game forums, because the rest are happily plaing, not reading the forums^_^.

On any game forums you will get the posters that start a discussion, but only care about the replies that agree, no matter how thought out and articulate the points made contrary to the OPs posts are. Or even if they are factually supported.

Just some peoples ego is so fragile.

the problem is you got people who dont play the game NEVER played one hour of the game, that come here and make stuff up and talk trash until they get banned, then they rinse and repeat.

its the kool kid griefer thing to do nao! same crowd that spams filth in game chat the ones that sit in a corner on fleet still at level 25 never do anything but spam filth. same crowd that spams comments sections on news stories.

worthless resource wasting pukes. same crowd that uses someone elses scripts to cheat in fps, same crowd that exploits and shares said exploits. they guild together and waste everyones time.

its pretty sad, they have no lives other than to spam filth online, thats it, they make no friends, they scream at mom to make them chocolate milk NAO!1!!11 they talk talk talk nonsense until they believe it themselves.

and they know nothing about reality as they spend all the time they have online in places like reddit or /b/ or the other few remaining pus filled websites that most normal people avoid. they think things are real because they see other people tell them they are real. and then they blindly go forth and proclaim it is real to the rest of us, ......

and when they are told to **** and go away they RAGE against everything anyone thinks or says, because THEY ARE RAGE and right coz smeone on reddit posted it!!!11!

until the internet identity issue becomes a non issue ( meaning until you have to register your actual identity to access online anything) then it will never change. thats the problem. it is every forum, it is CNN stories comments section. faceless postings, no repercussions from posting lies hate filth. until kids are kept in a fenced off safe area of a kids only internet it will never change. and facebook or twitter accounts dont work they are fake sorry. its actual internet credentials you have to go personally to your isp and register in person with your drivers license or state ID showing you are of voting age. thats who should be allowed on the internet we all shop and use. under voting age or no DL or no ID..? get bent and go get id. too young to drive or vote? too young for this internet. go play on the kid safe whitewashed version some company needs to create.

thats my opinion. as long as the silly children and immature idkits can sit all day long spamming forums and blogs with hate and filth, with no repercussions........then it will only get worse.

thats my 2 credits worth, and i will join you in boycotting these forums until bioware actually stops the insanity and starts insta banning trolls.

/rant

Well. The forums have no community because there is no community on in game servers aside from individual guilds. Bioware does not even provide the most basic of community creating tool for servers: A server forum. That and there is no global LFG channel per default. That combined with a lack of players creates the absence of a community.

They... kind of created server forums. Kind of. Like I said, it seems like a lazy version. But I don't go to the server forums for community, I can get that community in game. I just haven't tried, as I'm kind of just enjoying leveling with my friend. But I think I'll be rolling an alt on Jedi Covenant at some point and looking for some new people to play with.

There is no general community on the forums, not because there's no community in game, but because the forums are flooded with people that are unhappy and can't seem to let others be happy. You don't need a server community to start a community somewhere else.

Tbh, after playing quite a few different MMOs over the years, I have to say this is one of the friendliest forums. Granted, it's kind of "forced friendly" since "bad" posts get removed, but there are some good discussions going on over in the Story and Lore as well as the Star Wars Discussion sections. If you keep looking at he General Discussion threads, those are the hardcore QQers who feel the need to complain about every little detail, most of the time.

Like someone once said, if you gave people a magic hat that would make the PERFECT MMO for everything they could ever want, someone would complain about the color of the hat. :p

Tbh, after playing quite a few different MMOs over the years, I have to say this is one of the friendliest forums. Granted, it's kind of "forced friendly" since "bad" posts get removed, but there are some good discussions going on over in the Story and Lore as well as the Star Wars Discussion sections. If you keep looking at he General Discussion threads, those are the hardcore QQers who feel the need to complain about every little detail, most of the time.

Like someone once said, if you gave people a magic hat that would make the PERFECT MMO for everything they could ever want, someone would complain about the color of the hat. :p

This is true, unfortunately. I mainly stick to Community forum now, though I recently ventured into the General Discussion when some threads were moved there. Never. Again. :eek:

I have learned to pick and choose what to read and then what to respond to. This has helped me stay interested in visiting the forums. No game forums will ever be cleared of the "other" posts but given that these don't have specific server forums, we see EVERYONES business.

Be a little more picky about which thread you get into and even then, if you find it is not to your liking, hop out and look onwards.

There are some good people out there, even ones who have complained. We just need to figure out when and where we want to inject ourselves to provide our own knowledge and opinion. :D

OP many I suggest leaving the General Forums, and visit some of the other subforums? I find they are much more enjoyable.

The only reason I stick around General is because SOMEBODY has to puncture the echo chamber of negativity, and my skin is pretty thick after years of dealing with game forum trolls.

Edited by Cerion

Hello there!

As you may have noticed, we have removed a significant number of posts from this thread, and we would like to remind everyone of the rules of conduct in the forums.

• No insults, name calling, or personal attacks
  • Please stay on topic.
  • Please express your opinion and thoughts in a constructive, respectful manner.
  • If someone violates the Rules of Conduct, please flag it instead of replying to it.
  • Keep in mind that everyone has different viewpoints. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're trolling. If you believe someone is trolling, please use the Flag function to report their post.

That being said, we ask that you please keep your posts civil, on topic and respectful otherwise we will have to close this thread.

Thanks!