Returning player

Guerrila

hello guys, finally getting a bit of time back into my life to enjoy a bit of MMO play.

I played SWTOR ages ago when it was first released on and off, and to be honest spent most of my time in battlegrounds.

I don't think I did more than one or two flashpoints and definitely nothing later on.

I have quite a few characters I could play, ranging up to level 50, most sitting around late 30's and 40's. Literally got almost one of everything except for a mercenary, vanguard, juggernaught and shadow.

Don't mind starting again for the right class.

Basically I don't want to play a character which is overpopulated. I don't mind which side I go, republic or empire.

As I've stated a love a bit of pvp, but I also want a character which guilds are looking for in the end game.

End game being the priority really, but I'd rather not go into PvP and find i'm more useful as a long stand!!

What classes are in short supply and why? Why do guilds need them?

cheers :)

hello guys, finally getting a bit of time back into my life to enjoy a bit of MMO play.

I played SWTOR ages ago when it was first released on and off, and to be honest spent most of my time in battlegrounds.

I don't think I did more than one or two flashpoints and definitely nothing later on.

I have quite a few characters I could play, ranging up to level 50, most sitting around late 30's and 40's. Literally got almost one of everything except for a mercenary, vanguard, juggernaught and shadow.

Don't mind starting again for the right class.

Basically I don't want to play a character which is overpopulated. I don't mind which side I go, republic or empire.

As I've stated a love a bit of pvp, but I also want a character which guilds are looking for in the end game.

End game being the priority really, but I'd rather not go into PvP and find i'm more useful as a long stand!!

What classes are in short supply and why? Why do guilds need them?

cheers :)

I don't think there are any advanced classes that are in particular short supply really (Certainly on PVE servers anyway) and once they all get to high level they pretty much balance each other out in PVE, I would not say one particular class overpowers the others.

PVP not so sure of as dont really do it myself. My advise would be to start leveling up the different classes you have and find out which one suits you're style best and stick with it end game, it comes down to you're play style really and what suits really.

I'm not looking for one which overpowers the others, I'm looking for a class which will have ease in finding a guild. And have some potential in a battleground.

From what I have read so far sorcerers, marauders, sentinels are very highly played.

Scoundrels are fairly low in population?

I'm not looking for one which overpowers the others, I'm looking for a class which will have ease in finding a guild. And have some potential in a battleground.

From what I have read so far sorcerers, marauders, sentinels are very highly played.

Scoundrels are fairly low in population?

Your two desires seem mutually exclusive, although good guilds will accept anybody and aren't biased.

DPS scoundrels are rare but healer scoundrels are some of the most common OP classes right now, everybody will want you on a team.

Snipers, assasins, mercs, and PTs seem to be middle ground. And the AP power tech tanks are kind of a thing now. Very easy to output huge protection and still get good DPS. But I think they kind of game the system and will be nerfed soon.

If you want to do something different just stay away frog marauders and operative healers and you'll be on the right track.

All classes can hold their own in end-game and there will be very few guilds declining a good player based on class. I'd focus more on which role you'll want to fulfill (Healer, Tank, rDPS, mDPS) and look at the kind of utility you'd enjoy in PvP (such as off-heals, stealth, taunts) and go from there. Each class is quite unique and there must be one that fits your playstyle the most! Besides, slow as it might be, meta's shift and classes fall in and out of favour.

As for popularity, I get around Sentinel/Maurauder DPS the most in PvP aslong with their Guardian/Juggernaut sister-class in Focus/Rage spec and who can blame them, bursty AoE damage plus good survivability? Yes-please. The Scoundrel/Operative healer is also seen a lot, once again for good reason. They sport a lot of instants, have an easy resource system aswell as good healing in their HoTs. Currently by far the strongest PvP-healer. Tanks... ye Hybrid Vanguard/Powertech I think; decent DPS with enough survivability for Guard, even as full tank they sport nice abilities to help the group. But this doesn't mean these classes are played exclusively and others can't perform.

For PvE I mainly see Guardian/Juggernaut Tanks, though all Tanks have their ups and downs. Healer-wise I see anything on regular basis, except Commando/Mercanary, they seem to be quite rare on my server, I do see tons of Commando/Mercanary DPS, still figuring out why they're so immensly popular. :rolleyes: but all classes seem to be played quite a bit. Except Scoundrel/Operative DPS, I've only seem two in seven months in PvE (not including myself, I quite love my Scoundrel/Operative's DPS.)

Role-wise Tank is most likely the rarest, followed by Healer and lastly Damage, for PvE atleast.

TL;DR: Hardly any guild will decline a good player based on class, meta's shift, all classes are played quite a bit.

Edited by Gloomycakes

Thanks, this is the sort of information I was looking for.

Star Wars for me is a completely different kettle of fish from other MMO's. I've played every role other than healer to a raiding capacity on games like warcraft and I always seem to migrate towards a ranged dps character.

Tanked for a while in warcraft but ultimately ended up a warlock as I like to survey whats going on in fights.

However it just seems like such a travesty to play a game where you have the option of using the force and carrying a lightsaber. Which then leaves considering a sage or a sorcerer which appeals because strangely enough I actually like healing in this game. On the other hand you won't be beating people down with that saber on these classes.

The HOT's and instants on operatives is great for pvp, played a lot of it on my operative, I also enoy the animations on that better than the scoundrel including the knife fighting over the pistol and shotgun. It just has a brutal feeling about it.

I think animations certainly make a difference too, the sith warrior has a fantastic style with their lightsaber of brutality and malice, there seems to be so much anger in their fighting style whereas the jedi is about guile smooth transitions through the technique.

I get the feeling that because pvp is based around burst, instants and movement/escapes the commando/merc healer doesn't quite perform as well? But surely enjoys increased survivability with the heavy armor?

Its been a long time since a game came out where I like every class and every advanced class in some form. The dps/healer and tank/healer options make it very versatile. And the companion system allowing you to level as a healer is really great.

I have a level 45 gunslinger and a 49 sniper which I enjoy, but limiting myself to one role is their only downfall.

So as long as I can resist the urge to layeth the smacketh down with a lightsaber a ranged is always going to suit my playstyle better, and wanting to have an option to be a healer leaves me with:

Commando/Merc/Sorc (not the sage, don;t like the animations) and I guess my operative as it does have some ranged play.

Druid anyone? lol :)