Better PvP Class - Shadow or Vanguard

WIZBASKY

I have a 50 Sorc, and not liking the getting his *** kicked before you can get a kill aspect.

I just came back to this game yesterday after being away 1 year, and I think i have narrowed down my choices for a new Pvp class.

Shadow or Vanguard.

I leveled a Jedi knight and didnt like it in PvP, seemed weak, mind you only lvl 12, I leveled a shadow today to lvl 12 and i felt MUCH stronger, also the stealth aspect is fun, I get to choose when to fight. and i seemed to be getting kills much easier and faster.

But i hated always just bing out of range, and getting pushed back out of melee and 10m range of spells, I see alot of trooper / bounty hunters kicking butt, and I am now leveling a trooper to 12 to compare.

I am stuck between shadow & vangaurd so i can tank in PvE, so out of these 2 classes, what opinions do you have of which will be better at 50.

I read a shadow tank is hard to tank, lots to learn and use at right time, but a vangaurd is forgiving of a bad player (I am not saying i am a bad player, but easy sounds better)

But in PvP which do you think will give greater enjoyment.

no exp with vanguards, but shadow at lvl 12 is quite underpowered. At 50 is a different story, but even if, you really need to work your tactics and gear..

and there's no forgiveness, one mistake, you're doo.. eee...stunned forever...

Funny, because I tried also PVP with my lvl 22 Sentinel and THAT was just plain hit and kill stuff...

Assassin/Shadow is far superior to the Powertech/Vanguard, both in terms of general usefulness in warzones (Shadows are good for every situation) and in 1 vs 1 power (A well played Shadow can take down any class played by an equally skilled player. Vanguards however have the deck stacked against them vs Marauders/Sentinels, Shadows/Assassins and Snipers.) Some people argue 1 vs 1 balance isn't important, but it is, especally for a stealth class, as being able to confidentially take on a node defender is pretty useful.

As icing on the cake, the Shadow has some amazingly effective escape tools, in the form of a complete immunity to force and tech attacks and an in-combat vanish, meaning a properly played Shadow will on average die far less than a Vanguard who has no escape tools whatsoever.

Both classes are good. Vanguard/PT is one of the best DPS, its very easy to play. But you must remember one thing about vanguard/pt - it's a team class, you always running with the group, always in the center of action. As for shadow its probably the best solo class in this game. Its a best class for defending nodes/ sneak atacks/door capings.

You must decide for yourself who you wana be.

Assassin/Shadow is far superior to the Powertech/Vanguard, both in terms of general usefulness in warzones (Shadows are good for every situation) and in 1 vs 1 power (A well played Shadow can take down any class played by an equally skilled player. Vanguards however have the deck stacked against them vs Marauders/Sentinels, Shadows/Assassins and Snipers.) Some people argue 1 vs 1 balance isn't important, but it is, especally for a stealth class, as being able to confidentially take on a node defender is pretty useful.

As icing on the cake, the Shadow has some amazingly effective escape tools, in the form of a complete immunity to force and tech attacks and an in-combat vanish, meaning a properly played Shadow will on average die far less than a Vanguard who has no escape tools whatsoever.

This guy has no idea what he's talking about. So much that I literally facepalmed when I read his message.

Let me tell you something about RWZ's since this guy has zero experience. They have some useful tools, but do you know what you'll be doing in RWZ's? Solo defending nodes. Why? Because you have stealth. You don't get to be at the fight unless it's brought to you, and the majoirty of the time you'll be sitting there doing nothing for hours on end.

Powertechs have the highest damage in the game, tons of utility and are by far the most fun to play. As a PT you can kill people in roughly 6 seconds when fully geared.

Watch my videos at http://www.twitch.tv/megatf if you want to see how the class plays.

This guy has no idea what he's talking about. So much that I literally facepalmed when I read his message.

Let me tell you something about RWZ's since this guy has zero experience. They have some useful tools, but do you know what you'll be doing in RWZ's? Solo defending nodes. Why? Because you have stealth. You don't get to be at the fight unless it's brought to you, and the majoirty of the time you'll be sitting there doing nothing for hours on end.

Powertechs have the highest damage in the game, tons of utility and are by far the most fun to play. As a PT you can kill people in roughly 6 seconds when fully geared.

Watch my videos at http://www.twitch.tv/megatf if you want to see how the class plays.

I'm sorry but I'd rather take the node guarding over rolling my face on the keyboard for hours at end.

With the exception of pts utility (was wondering also what utility you are referring to?) the rest are 100% true. In our ranked team and pretty much every ranked team our shadow will either defend the node, guard a door or be in the endzone. On some very special circumstances might go on a special op to fight the other stealthed shadow guarding the other node :). On the other hand vans/pts are in the battle for their high burst damage. Having said that normal zones are a different story as you have more "freedom".

EDIT: Still shadows have good damage and some shadows are in the hot area even in ranked as they do really good damage. But for this to happen usually there are 2 shadows in the team or an exceptionally gifted guard of another class.

Edited by MusicRider

Exactly what utility are you talking about?

Pretend I'm being really mean and sarcastic to you, as if I do then I'll get a possible suspension from forums.

Stun, AoE stun both on short cd's.

Grapple

HIghest burst damage in the game

Single and AoE taunts.

30 meter damage abilities.

Great survivability with 1396 expertise.

Curious, that's exactly what I thought of you when I read your post.

I see that using your incredible powers of deduction you have managed to come to the conclusion that I have zero rated warzone experience. Unfortunately for you, you are wrong, I've played plenty of RWZ's.

Assassins are the best 1 on 1 class, and have the tools to defend an objective longer than any other class. That they therefor are usually relegated to guarding a node is not a sign of weakness of the class but one of strength. They can pretty much do solo what would require 2 other classes. If you don't like defending nodes is your problem, but its not a class weakness.

Marauders and Snipers both have the potential to do more damage. What Powertechs bring is the best burst of any class, assuming they spec Pyrotech. This comes at the expense of survivability. You cannot kill equally geared (elite) warhero players in 6 seconds (=5 abilities) by the way. Not even if every single attack crits.

Oh I play ranked.

Not on the video that I clicked. Saw your premade chew through some poor undergeared pug.:rolleyes:

Curious, that's exactly what I thought of you when I read your post.

Not on the video that I clicked. Saw your premade chew through some poor undergeared pug.:rolleyes:

Sadly, I have to agree with you. It's amazing how many bad players stream on twitch. Within about a minute of watching his video I saw him use his expensive AOE on a single target, and a complete lack of strafing. In fact, I suspect he doesn't even know what that is. I almost was waiting for some backpedaling to happen. He literally walks up to the enemy and stands in front of them until the move. It was painful to watch. The only person who was good that I saw was the healer keeping him up constantly, but I don't know if I would want to stream a video when I am clearly been carried by my teammates. I wouldn't have said anything, but clearly this is a pretty arrogant individual, however the basis for said arrogance has to be questioned.

On the other hand, I think it is absurd to say Shadow or Pyrotech are better. Having played both I prefer Pyrotech, but the Shadow has way more utility I can't deny. But the pyro has amazing range so it's a tradeoff.

Edited by Saelos

Assault Vanguards are bursty glass cannons. You will see some satisfying numbers and if you're lucky you can burst down a healer 1v1 (no one is ever that lucky). You have no survivability, no mobility and very basic utility. Still, you can burst someone down pretty quickly, assuming equal levels of gear. You also get the pleasure of seeing someone explode to death.

Shield Vanguards are... confused. Kinda tough, but not tough enough and they have interesting utility. You get Storm, which is fun, and free Explosive Surges, which is not as nice. You can put pressure on people, but will never kill them.

Tactics Vanguards are sad, because they have a lot of unfulfilled potential.

Never played a Shadow before, so I'm only relating what I'm seeing:

Shadows have more viable specs and are more effective overall. They have a lot of utility - Sprint, Force Push, Stealth, Force Pull. They are horrible murder monsters of murdering. You won't ever get to see the pleasure of someone exploding to death, but you will win a lot of 1v1 and most 1v2.