How do you level up!?

Wolfninjajedi

Figured this would be a neat thread, sharing ideas on how others level and some could give it a try if any have some different means of lvling instead of just doing all the planet quests and such(did it with my SW and Smug). As for me here is what I have done with 1 character(trooper/vanguard), and am doing it with another(IA/sniper).

I level by just pvp/space combat dailies with the occasional FP thrown in if I am feeling up to it and companion convos. It takes some time, and I usually just stop after doing the dailies and then the next do it all over again....yes it takes time and requires patience but its more to enjoy the story more then rushing through lvls.

Now heres whats interesting, I only lvl to the end lvl of the planet I am going to. So for instance

Balamora: 16-20- lvl to 20 then do the class story

Nar Shadda: 20-24- lvl to 24 then class story

etc, etc

This not only slows down lvling to the point, where your not bored near the end. But it also makes the class quest, much easier and your STILL getting XP from the class quest when you start it. Sometimes even, you could gain another lvl just by doing the class quest so your next lvling up won't take as long.

Anyway, so folks how do you lvl up?!

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I am an altaholic. I've played nearly every class to at least 20.

As such, if I switch servers or start leveling a new character, I PvP from 14-20. I would PvP from 10-20 if it didn't feel like I was killing my team by being so slow.

so yeah, PvP from 14-20. I also PvP enough to get a new weapon whenever one's available with warzone commendations, and I PvP from around 35-40 in order to get all that level 40 PvP gear.

Other than that, I PvE level.

PVE for the most part. I tried PVP but got a little tired of Hutt ball over and over. Space combat is fun at first, then to me it got annoying (read I kept dying before the mission was even half over and didn't like that!).

If you're on a high pop server pvp can be a nice change of pace - so all my republic toons. I have some toons on a low pop server - empire toons, and I gave up waiting for the cue to pop, so only did pve.

Up until 10, I do all the side quests and class quests on the starter planet. My first toon has done most the side quests on the imperial side beyond so maybe my first republic toon will as well; but I have not found much reason to, TBH. Especially since I rolled a counselor and the less he talks the better. Sounds like someone trying to sound like a bad Keanu Reeves or something. Worst voice yet.

Anyway; once I get to 10 I PvP the dailiy and then some. I actually like to get to 14 or 15 then go do the 2nd planet class quest so I can get around better. Half the time, my teams are so bad; I don't think my speed is so significant.

From there, it is whatever I am in the mood for but I like to do Warzones and get to 20 so I can get the first PvP gear. Wish I could have more than 1k tokens at a time though. usually build up almost 500 Merc Tokens just to keep me under the cap up to 20; but I will cap those eventually.

Edited by Technohic

10-12 Warzone + 2xWarzone quest

12-15 Warzone + Class quest only

15-16 Space Missions

16-20 Warzone + Space + Balmora Class quest only

20-24 Warzone + 2xWarzone quest +Space + Nar Shadda Class quest + few planet quest

24-28 Warzone + Space + Tatooine Class quest + few planet quest

28-32 Warzone + 2xWarzone quest + Space + Alderaan Class quest + all planet quest + planet story quest

I try skip "Story planet quest line" because i can't abandon it.

At my 1st character im used "Only quest mode". Now im trying skip/abandon all quest and get all fun at Warzones.

Currently have 3 50's

1 Sorcerer All PVE all the time with flashpoints mixed in.

2. Operative always was in a group either pve pvp or flashpoint no solo.

3. Power tech All PvP all the time

There are ton of ways to level in any game but these were my experience so far in this one. As far as most fun i would have to say Number two having a solid group of people to play with its just fun no matter what your doing.

I have 5 level 50.

I only care about class quest and the time it takes to get to 50.

The basics of my levling is.

- Power through all quests on a planet with a friend

- Always do new space missions (never bother with the dailies tho)

- Spam rank1 and 2 gifts from gift vendor on all companions, level with treasure hunting for level 5 gifts (haven't done the math but companion dialogs hold a lot of xp, guessing somewhere between 500k-700k)

All companions have 10k affection around level 40 (its a money sink though).

Since I wish to complete my class story I generally skip 2-3 planets sidequests, usually Taris (as republic), Voss and Nar Shadda Bonus.

My last three characters took 3 days /played to hit 50 with fully completed class quests, I guess I can bring it down to 2days if I skip the class quests completely and just power through planets.

I found it to be a complete waste to pvp before 50, takes too long to save up bags which I can get just as fast at level 50. But with the new valor boost/commendation boost I am guessing it might actually be useful now. Still think its stupid that you don't get full xp from losing a wz like you did last year.

I try to leave a planet at the high end of its level spectrum so that commendations remain useful. I don't do bonus series until Belsavis.

I do every space daily that isn't grayed out.

I do heroics and Flashpoints as they come up.

Generally I can get away with just doing my class story and planet story quests for each planet and then move along to the next, considering the free exp I'm getting elsewhere.

Pet affection is good free experience.

Edited by Onager

I am working on my 4th, 3 at Lv50 working HMs and Ops...

Explore/Lore/Datacrons as I level, first time was hard-ish...now I breeze through even the hardest datacrons. This can easily gain you an "extra" level per planet.

Organize quests, clear an area entirely of normal quests, plan it out and pass an area ONCE (including class quests)..don't track heroics. Keep general chat open, if u see LF1M for heroics...go...if not, abandon all heroics at end of planet and go to next planet.

You would be surprised how quickly you can level this way. Heroics are probably your worst time/xp return in game, especially if you are unlucky enough to group with "first timers".

I go to a new planet and do absolutely every quest and Heroic i can find. I enjoy seeing all of the content. Im also not in a big hurry to get to 50. I enjoy getting the best set of gear I can for the current world before I move on and do it again. I usually out level the planet I am on, but who cares. Im having fun.

Rules : Ignore 2+ , heroic 4, Area and Flashpoint. At the end of the second planet. Start doing space missions since they are the best xp/hour and start doing pvp with the dailies

1 to 10 = 1h30

10 to 18 = Dromund Kaas , Coruscant

18 to 22 = Balmorra , Taris.

22 to 24 = Nar Shadaa

24 to 27 = Tatoine

27 to 30 = Alderan

30 to 32 = class quest and pvp

32 to 37 = Balmora , Taris

37 to 40 = Hoth

40 to 44 = Belsavis

44 to 47 = Voss

47 to 50 = Corelia

I keep queuing to pvp reach 49 and 99% valor. Pvp in lower level is worth less then questing and pvp at higher level is worth less then questing but in the middle level it can help you go fast , mostly if you got a good premade team and win all the time.

10 min huttball for 20k xp = 2 quests for 10 min.

Edited by Wrathoran

PVP LEVELING

1 - 30: Quest. If you PVP before lv. 30 you are "that guy" that everyone hates. Don't be that guy, don't PVP before you have 2+ stuns, a movement ability, sprint, and enough DPS abilities to be remotely useful. It takes 1 day of played time to hit 30 if you spacebar, focus up an do it.

30 - 50: PVP. You should be able to buy your full PVP orange set at 40, and if you save from 40 onward you will easily have 6 bags at 50, which will make your transition much easier. Remember you can buy Columni Implants, Earpieces and decent Relics off the AH, and your Orange weapon with AH mods will be sufficient - focus up your bags on the PVP 4-piece.

PVE LEVELING

1-50: Quest.

50: Operations. I buy my pre-raid gear from the AH and immediately jump into Operations. If you run EV and KG for two weeks, you will have full raid gear in just a couple of hours of play. Compare that to grinding Flashpoints where PUGs will fail horribly, and the choice is clear.

One of my dirty little tricks?

Companions. When you get one, spend a few thousand credits and pump up their affection at least a few thousand points. Not only does it help with crew skills, if you do it ASAP you also pick up a surprisingly nice amount of exp as well.

Wait till later and companion quests "grey out" like everything else does depending on your player level. Get to know them better. (and of course, there's the occasional companion mission stuck in there too, which can make nice gap fillers.

• 1 year later...
Serious guys. i do very single quest on the planet i do flashpoints and i pvp alot. And i played this character over a month and i am only level 28! Am dooing something wrong?

oh great,the usual noob coming to necro a 1 year old post.

Serious guys. i do very single quest on the planet i do flashpoints and i pvp alot. And i played this character over a month and i am only level 28! Am dooing something wrong?

If the quests are grey, you're not going to get much (if any) experience from them. Same goes for mobs.

I sit back and grind out the class, planet quests and knock out the H2+ solo. I rather enjoy the leveling in SWTOR. Focusing on one character at a time to 50 but do start others until they at least get their ships. Then back to whatever one I was leveling to 50. One of every advanced class started or finished.