Light sided Sith

MouseNoFour

It would be neat (and also relatively easy) to implement a system where 50s who have completed their story arc could swap sides. There could be a brief story event/dialogue/cinematic, whatever, during which you would betray your default faction and then *poof* you load the opposite faction's fleet and join their faction. And since EA/Bioware likes their alignment requirements so much they could have it so you need to be Light/Dark V in order to swap sides (but that's not me talking).

It would be easy because there aren't very many missions that identify your class in the 50 bracket. It would just be a matter of swapping your IFF.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Light V Bounty Hunter, I never kill people just because I can. I have nothing to prove to myself.

I also view my current employer, The Sith Empire, as rather ineffective entity, based on fear and run by bunch of shortsighted cretins. But, credits are credits, and I won't walk away from good contract just because it is being posted by a person who is likely to be killed by his superior or subordinate in some silly power play.

Heard that. Plus you gotta milk that cow for all its worth before the Republic knocks 'em out in Round 2. Come on, we all know its gonna happen.

I like my light side SW just now. She is essentially more honour driven than anything else. Also I'll do anything if it annoys the likes of Barrus and Kilran.

My assassin varies wildly in choices, depending more on how I feel at the time. This makes her seem more unstable, unpredictable and quite psychotic, which I find more entertaining and fitting.

I have never experienced too much hate from other players towards my choices and there are certain companions that react better to LS choices than others, I think more so in the SW story than the inquisitor's.

I like my light side SW just now. She is essentially more honour driven than anything else. Also I'll do anything if it annoys the likes of Barrus and Kilran.

My assassin varies wildly in choices, depending more on how I feel at the time. This makes her seem more unstable, unpredictable and quite psychotic, which I find more entertaining and fitting.

I have never experienced too much hate from other players towards my choices and there are certain companions that react better to LS choices than others, I think more so in the SW story than the inquisitor's.

Leaving aside other factors I do not get why people say Warrior companions fit more to LS than Inquisitor. If anything I would say opposite.

While Inquisitor gets two clear dark companions getting them is done in way that shows no inclination to dark side imo. I still scratch head of my Warrior about the last companion they get.

Edited by Chaloss

my characters have no interest in light sided options, these are mostly irrational and driven by a "moral" weakness. honor is just another word that people throw to put delusional restrictions on themselves - there is only goal and there is no mercy. also, it shoukd never be used together "light sided" and Sith as Sith cannot be a lightsider in a different than formal way.

my characters have no interest in light sided options, these are mostly irrational and driven by a "moral" weakness. honor is just another word that people throw to put delusional restrictions on themselves - there is only goal and there is no mercy. also, it shoukd never be used together "light sided" and Sith as Sith cannot be a lightsider in a different than formal way.

you sound like those super religious/super atheists,always talking about how bad the other side is and how stupid it is.

btw,i sicerely hope that you are playing on tomb of freedon nadd because i want to meet you and wave my warrior's "the pure" title on your white face full of creepy veins.

Edited by _biddan_

Thinking back over my Sith Warrior's story and the motivations I had in mind for her, the fact that she ended as "Light Side" seems ludicrous. I did not view my choices as, "Oh, this is the Light Side path. That one's Dark Side." I chose what suited her ultimate goals: the loyalty of the Imperial Navy, allies, causing Jedi to doubt their own rigid belief system, the dissolution of the Republic, and ultimate control of the Empire itself. Somehow that made her a "Light Side" Sith. Most of the time what I saw were smart long term decisions versus stupid short term gratification. I picked the relatively "smart" option. My character said something that came out intelligent, calculating, occasionally cruel, often imperious, and... voila! Light Side points!

Uh... Wait, what?

So, as far as the game is concerned I generally disregard the Light Side/Dark Side morality meter. It often makes little or no sense (killing a traitorous Hutt is bad but taking his drugs as a bribe is good?). I thoroughly enjoyed (with one exception) the way my Sith Warrior's story played out. That's what matters.

As far as lore goes: the Star Wars I grew up with kept it simple: the Dark Side is the quick, easy path, uses fear, anger, and hatred. Accessing the Light Side comes through calm, a clear mind, peace... Lucas (perhaps wisely) at the time did not get into the details.

That's all changed hasn't it? Oops!

The debate in here about "Light" Sith being less powerful than "Dark" Sith and "Light" Jedi seems a bit silly. Sith at this point are so numerous I don't see why its not possible that one could learn to use the full potential of the Light Side while being affiliated with the Sith Order. Because that's all they are: affiliations. Just because you're a card-carrying member of one doesn't mean you can't find your own path, learn on your own, and become a master of the Force in your own right. It would be difficult if your path runs against the grain of your affiliation but not impossible. And the will, determination - or whatever - it would take to survive while following that path would definitely mark you as a powerful individual. A Sith who learns how to follow the Light on his or her own might arguably be stronger than any Jedi Master just as any Jedi who learns how to fully embrace the Dark might be greater than any Sith Lord.

It really is all in your point of view... and, I suppose, the writing which gets retconned repeatedly to fit differering points of view for different mediums.

Thank you. In the Darth Bane series, Bane had to kill 2 children in front of their father's eyes to sustain himself when severly wounded (the father's pain gave him strength). A pure light jedi could have healed himself, but the gray light sith would not be able to draw strength from this act, thereby dying due to his weakness. There are many examples supporting this view, and if we seriously have to debate something as obvious as light sith being weaker than dark sith then we will never be able to have any form of substantitive debate. I wish we could move past this and discuss far more interesting star wars philosophy, like the effectiveness of the rule of two. In the meantime i will enjoy killing scrub jedi and light sith in pvp.

Why would they be using dark side abilities if they're light side sith? And, since sith and Jedi are just organizations, why couldn't a light side sith access the light side as much as any Jedi? Is there any definite reason to think drawing on positive emotions won't give you more access to the light side than the typical Jedi approach? Note: when we say light Sith, we mean PURE light Sith, as light as any Jedi. Even if the Jedi approach does lead to greater power, why couldn't a light side Sith follow EXACTLY the same path as a light Jedi.

Btw, I had both my Sith start out dark, but my pure blood warrior turned light and I intend for my twi'lek inquisitor to do the same. My Warrior was solid Dark until the Revanite quest line, and fully committed to the light on Tatooine. My inquisitor was always mostly dark, except she still resents the Empire, and is sympathetic to those who want to escape from it. She has her own emotional baggage that keeps her from going light for now. I intend for Andronikos and Ashara to give her a sense of security and stability. Currently, at lvl 25, she cries herself to sleep at night, because she knows what the Sith are, and what the Empire is, and saw immediately that Zash was too good to be true, but has enough anger from her past enslavement for all the dark side energies you could ask for, and doesn't know what to do about her life. Plus, she's super lonely.

What is the point in having LSPs when being sith? I understand bounty hunters and agents, these guys could go any way. But the ultimate purpose of the one being Sith is to gain power by any means necessary.

That's the view of the Sith Order, but not necessarily every single Sith. Light side Sith would oppose it.

Do you actually read the dialogue options or do you just look for the DS symbol and click? Because in my experience, especially when it comes to the Force User storylines, LS and DS choices tend to be incredibly simplistic and have nothing really to do with the end goals.

Sith DS choices tend to be less about ruthless quests for power and more 'lol I'm a psychopath, I'll get around to conquering the Empire after I go out of my way to set that puppy on fire and kick it around for a while.'. Similarly Jedi seem to be perfectly okay with the Republic going down in flames, as long as they can stand on the burning wreckage and give a longwinded speech about the Jedi Code and resisting the temptation of the Dark Side.

From what I've seen, Smugglers seem to be the only ones who can get away with pure LS/DS paths while still being believable characters/not being reduced to caricatures.

Edited by jovianus

Do you actually read the dialogue options or do you just look for the DS symbol and click? Because in my experience, especially when it comes to the Force User storylines, LS and DS choices tend to be incredibly simplistic and have nothing really to do with the end goals.

Sith DS choices tend to be less about ruthless quests for power and more 'lol I'm a psychopath, I'll get around to conquering the Empire after I go out of my way to set that puppy on fire and kick it around for a while.'. Similarly Jedi seem to be perfectly okay with the Republic going down in flames, as long as they can stand on the burning wreckage and give a longwinded speech about the Jedi Code and resisting the temptation of the Dark Side.

Some of the Republic-side quests (haven't played a Sith yet, but I guess I can comment on the Republic quests' LS/DS points) do seem to presume LS involves letting the Republic get weakened. One of the quests is trying to bring down a Senator who's getting very friendly with the Empire and trying to break the Republic's relations with the Jedi Order. So... you get DS points if you stick with the plan to have him ruined... Fine, likely due to the underhanded methods you have to use, I guess.

Some of the other DS options seem similar to the ones you describe for the Sith: E.g., being a psychopath and killing for the lulz. Others are more for greed or just power, though the LS choice isn't always a bad idea either. (There's one where you can let your toon be taken prisoner to free hostages.... and a number of the hostages arm themselves and come rescue your toon. I found that one cool.)

From what I've seen, Smugglers seem to be the only ones who can get away with pure LS/DS paths while still being believable characters/not being reduced to caricatures.

Hm. Yeah. The smuggler DS choices seems to be aimed at spreading fear/intimidation or keeping loose ends from causing problems, while the LS choices are for, hm, building a network, perhaps. Either will work, I guess. Perhaps it's trying to be a bit Machiavellian: To be Feared or Loved, though I'll have to continue playing to see if it also involves taking steps to make sure you're never Hated.

I do not have DS symbol visible so I'm unable to search for it. Considering that highly functioning psychopaths with big intellectual potential are apex predators and superior to any other men then I do not have a problem with my Sith obliterating those who posses lesser power/are meaningless. also I do not really remember quests like that, everything that is connected with DS can be explained with strategic and tactic thinking. I fully understand that currently it is vastly popular among weak people to advertise their soft ways as "smart" and profitable "in the long run" but a lot of these LS choices are simply bad, time waste and risk outweights possible profits ( considering how unimportant some people we kill are ). DS is self/empire serving with pragmatic approach - and there cannot be LS Sith in other form than formal as Sith presented on list of existing Sith. to be a Sith one needs to consume light

Cake is a lie, there is only pudding.

Through pudding, I gain calories.

Through calories, I gain weight.

Through weight, I gain girth.

Through girth, my belt is broken.

Dessert shall free me.

See? I can put down mumbo jumbo too. Now let's try to make sense.

In my experience with the sith game (41 assassin, 14 warrior, 12 bounty hunter, 20 agent), dark side choices are all either murder, cruelty, or selfishness. Tried to go dark with my sniper, but I just can't make it fit with someone raised from birth to live and die for the Empire. As light side choices seem to all be either mercy or putting the needs of the Empire before your own desires, my sniper has gone fairly light.

my LS sith warrior is definitely out to sabotage the empire. he does think the jedi are weak-minded fools, but he thinks the siths as a whole are just as stupid. he'd just like to become emperor himself and then be a bit more 'reasonable'.

he also loves being cocky, has killed a traitor or two, and likes to slap people around.

he's bloody insane.

Yep that's my LS marauder too! She only picks LS choices because I thought that'd be truly evil and would screw over the empire side the most. There was a brief time she relapsed but she's straight LS now. It's also why I have a jedi consular who's a complete psychopath. And throws rocks at people.

LS choices are kinda annoying though. I feel like now I'm more into the game I'm usually sucking up to people or apologizing to people and my character always sounds like a wimp. The sacrifices I make to betray the Empire..

• 2 weeks later...
I would also assume LS Sith and Ds Jedi are somehow weaker then they would have been otherwise. But, i am quite sure that you can not be just a tad Ds as a Jedi, the unevitable fall into Darkness will make you something Sithalike and unable to use Jedistuff. So you would have to find a mentor to learn some tricks you can yctually use now. Same vice versa. If you actually manage to stay right in the middle (would need to be totally balanced i guess) one should be able to use both forms. ?

I would also assume LS Sith and Ds Jedi are somehow weaker then they would have been otherwise. But, i am quite sure that you can not be just a tad Ds as a Jedi, the unevitable fall into Darkness will make you something Sithalike and unable to use Jedistuff. So you would have to find a mentor to learn some tricks you can yctually use now. Same vice versa. If you actually manage to stay right in the middle (would need to be totally balanced i guess) one should be able to use both forms. ?

no,eventually you'll fall to the dark side,if you try to follow a neutral path you'll use powers of the dark side which will corrupt you sooner or later.

no,eventually you'll fall to the dark side,if you try to follow a neutral path you'll use powers of the dark side which will corrupt you sooner or later.

Thatswhy totally balnced like 0 Points into Light and Dark