Best Class And Story

joedinsdale

Hi all,

So i was wondering what you all think is the best class to play as and why, also witch of the classes has the best story?

I like playing as the Jedi Knight, but i dont feel like that class has the better story line. I would say its a tie between the Sith Warrior and the Bounty Hunter for the best story.

So what do you all think?

The thing is that some Acts are better than others. So I'd actually rank it in order of Acts.

(The following list is ordered via MY PERSONAL ENJOYMENT, not any objective characteristic)

1. Jedi Knight Act 3

2. Sith Warrior Act 1

3. Imperial Agent Act 2

4. Jedi Knight Act 1

6. Sith Warrior Act 3

7. Bounty Hunter Act 2

8. Sith Warrior Act 2

9. Bounty Hunter Act 1

10. Imperial Agent Act 1

11. Sith Inquisitor Act 2

12. Smuggler Act 2

So... I've finished Act 2 on all but Smuggler and Jedi Knight, of which I've finished Act 1 and part of Act 2. From the other 6, I've finished all but Trooper. Without further ado, my rankings..

1. Sith Warrior/Sith Inquisitor tie

3. Smuggler

4. Trooper

5. Bounty Hunter

6. Consular

7. Other game offerings such as ops and dailies

8. Chatting on fleet

9. Watching fleet chat go by.

10. Twiddling my thumbs doing nothing

11. Taking a punch to the face

12. Twilight

13. Jedi Knight

14. Imperial Agent

I know most people are eager to serve up praise for my two least favorite class stories, but I feel the need to comment on posts like these so that people can see that the opinions aren't universal.

1.) Sith Warrior.

2.) Imperial Agent

3.) Jedi Knight

4.) Bounty Hunter

5.) Trooper

6.) Sith Inquisitor

7.) Smuggler

8.) Jedi Consular

1-3 are very, very good.

4-5 are good and enjoyable, but nothing breath taking.

6-7 are alright, with more average than good moments.

8 is a complete and utter disaster.

1. Imperial Agent

2. Sith Warrior

3. Jedi Knight

4. Bounty Hunter

5. Trooper

6. Sith Inquisitor

7. Smuggler

8. Jedi Consular

Here's my short opinion on top three.

Imperial Agent's story are the best especially on Chapter 2, if you look for complex spy story with dozens of plot twist, sizeable impact and consequence from choices you make throughout the story, good antagonist that worth remembering and interesting companions. I highly suggest you try it out.

Sith Warrior are great and your role as executioner & enforcer it's feel like Darth Vader to me , real evil, killing a lot of Jedi. While Light side feels like honorable warrior, and not to mention its surprise every Jedi you met with this unexpected characteristics though Sith Warrior's story lacks of power base build. You have a fair share of deceive your enemies, using them as your own tool. The companions are interesting enough but the last two have weak explanation on why they join your crew.

Jedi Knight are basically "Knight of the Old Republic 3" or if you consider it a worthy successor to Knight of the Old Republic, it's epic and feels very heroic. You bringing the fight into Sith and Imperial straight ahead throughout your journey, and most of the companions are interesting but the story suffer from lacks of complexion it's easy to foreshadow the consequences miles away, and sometime it's feels like a lot of movies cliche cram together.

So... I've finished Act 2 on all but Smuggler and Jedi Knight, of which I've finished Act 1 and part of Act 2. From the other 6, I've finished all but Trooper. Without further ado, my rankings..

3. Smuggler

4. Trooper

5. Bounty Hunter

6. Consular

8. Chatting on fleet

12. Twilight

13. Jedi Knight

14. Imperial Agent

I know most people are eager to serve up praise for my two least favorite class stories, but I feel the need to comment on posts like these so that people can see that the opinions aren't universal.

That's great and all...but wouldn't it be better if you actually gave reasons why you don't like the classes that so many other like? Without saying why...it really just seems like you're going against the grain just to simply go against the grain.

Not to mention that you're rating some class stories without even playing through the full story.

That's great and all...but wouldn't it be better if you actually gave reasons why you don't like the classes that so many other like? Without saying why...it really just seems like you're going against the grain just to simply go against the grain.

Not to mention that you're rating some class stories without even playing through the full story.

People broadcast their love for the Agent story without much elaboration, it doesn't seem reasonable to force this requirement on others.

My disdain for the Agent story broadly (and without spoilers) is that you are a lackey of the Sith Empire, this is readily and painfully made apparent to you. You're supposed to be this super secret agent, but everyone and their brother knows you are a spy. I've played the story TWICE, and honestly can only surmise that several "cool' things that happen during the story makes people like it so much. As a narrative, it's terrible. And the final adversary....lol. Every other class gets someone SIGNIFICANTLY more consequential. I could go on, but I would fall in spoiler territory.

By contrast, everyone rags on the Consular story, which is completely in keeping with a Jedi and has a better twist at the end. I've come to the conclusion that what's really going on their is that people don't want to play a Jedi like a Jedi is described (serene, reflective, self-sacrificing); they want to solve problems by shooting or poking people in the face. That's cool, but it does not mean the narrative is lacking.

My 2 credits.

Edited by Master-Nala

People broadcast their love for the Agent story without much elaboration, it doesn't seem reasonable to force this requirement on others.

Yeah, you're definitely right about that...there shouldn't be a double standard.

I actually made a thread in the agent class forums asking about the story and why people like it so much because I never see people list reasons why.

Anyways, I think it was just the fact that this person didn't just rate the story...they had to point out the fact that they are going against the grain without saying why, that made it seem so "forced", if you will...and also the fact that they were rating one of the said stories without even completing chapter 2.

Anyways, I guess it doesn't really matter...as I'm sure you can always find someone who doesn't like one story or the other.

Edited by VitalityPrime

My list of stories played so far:

1.) Sith Warrior

2.) Jedi Knight

3.) Sith Inquisitor

4.) Agent

Not many stories played (I know, PvPler and stuff :D ) but my fav is still Sith Warrior. Just epic evilness the whole time. Same goes with knight only in not-evil. Inquisitor just has some awesome quotes. Agent felt kind of predictable for me, it was a nice idea but...meh

I've come to the conclusion that what's really going on their is that people don't want to play a Jedi like a Jedi is described (serene, reflective, self-sacrificing); they want to solve problems by shooting or poking people in the face. That's cool, but it does not mean the narrative is lacking.

We live in an Age Of Action, so to say, in RPG terms it's an "Age Of Actrion-RPGs".

No one wants lame stories, and slow stories. Haven't you noticed how much faster the movies have become during the last 10-20 years ? Watch a 20 year old movie with your kids - they're gonne be asleep within 30 minutes I bet.

"Despicable Me 2" is such an example. It is so fast that it has to be seen at least twice. Or "Flushed Away" by the Wallace & Gromit makers. Similar case.

Another point is, that people want to become cool Gangstas, to put it cynically. Altruism is something as borims is it doesn't get you power. And in this Age Of Action-RPGs, people want to save the world, they want power, because Blizzard with their immense, monstrously profitable Action-RPGs actually managed the people to train that "Rising To Power !" (that's THE marketing slogan of Dragon Age 2, by the way !) is the ONLY thing that matters. Blizzard trained people into believing that a an actual story & social interactions with NPCs is something that can be easily thrown away in favour of EVERY mechanic that makes the player's character to be godful awesome !

In Action-RPGs - which SWTOR basically is as well - NPCS have become a) quest givers b) cannon-fodder, and b) meaning = "tool to let the player gain MOAR POWAH !"

Stories ? Who needs stories ?

Shooters & Action-RPGs clearly dominate the PC games market nowadays (and the consoles market to some extent, too).

Story-heavy Adventure Games have died out. Management, marketing and everyone else just decided that people don't want to play them - "let's produce te 100.00th sequel of ANY shooter or Action-RPG instead !"

Someone has told the LucasArts management that here in Europe ALL Adventure games players have DIED OUT, when LucasArts was doing a second "SAm & Max" Adventure Game. That's why they cancelled it. That fact was accessible for several years on the TellTale web site, within the "Summer Of Sam & Max" blog.

People just don't want to be "nice". They want to be bad. That's why GTA has such a great success. That's why the Empire Faction gets so many dfocus nowadays (hasn't anyone notice that people speak of classes ALWAYS with imperial class names, imperial abilities names, imperial FP & OP names and so on ?).

Further reading :

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvilIsCool

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GoodIsBoring

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Another point is, that people want to become cool Gangstas, to put it cynically. Altruism is something as borims is it doesn't get you power. And in this Age Of Action-RPGs, people want to save the world, they want power, because Blizzard with their immense, monstrously profitable Action-RPGs actually managed the people to train that "Rising To Power !" (that's THE marketing slogan of Dragon Age 2, by the way !) is the ONLY thing that matters. Blizzard trained people into believing that a an actual story & social interactions with NPCs is something that can be easily thrown away in favour of EVERY mechanic that makes the player's character to be godful awesome !

In Action-RPGs - which SWTOR basically is as well - NPCS have become a) quest givers b) cannon-fodder, and b) meaning = "tool to let the player gain MOAR POWAH !"

Stories ? Who needs stories ?

Shooters & Action-RPGs clearly dominate the PC games market nowadays (and the consoles market to some extent, too).

Story-heavy Adventure Games have died out. Management, marketing and everyone else just decided that people don't want to play them - "let's produce te 100.00th sequel of ANY shooter or Action-RPG instead !"

Someone has told the LucasArts management that here in Europe ALL Adventure games players have DIED OUT, when LucasArts was doing a second "SAm & Max" Adventure Game. That's why they cancelled it. That fact was accessible for several years on the TellTale web site, within the "Summer Of Sam & Max" blog.

People just don't want to be "nice". They want to be bad. That's why GTA has such a great success. That's why the Empire Faction gets so many dfocus nowadays (hasn't anyone notice that people speak of classes ALWAYS with imperial class names, imperial abilities names, imperial FP & OP names and so on ?).

Further reading :

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvilIsCool

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GoodIsBoring

Agreed, and it's sad. I was looking through some old games yesterday and found my old copies of Grim Fandango and Escape from Monkey Island. I don't think we will ever see the like again.

As for the good = boring, evil = fun trope, I get that, but I get so annoyed when people conflate that with good storytelling. The Sith Warrior story is good storytelling whether you go good or bad. The Agent story has some really cool moments but the story is non-sensical. Especially when you go evil.

Agreed, and it's sad. I was looking through some old games yesterday and found my old copies of Grim Fandango and Escape from Monkey Island. I don't think we will ever see the like again.

As for the good = boring, evil = fun trope, I get that, but I get so annoyed when people conflate that with good storytelling. The Sith Warrior story is good storytelling whether you go good or bad. The Agent story has some really cool moments but the story is non-sensical. Especially when you go evil.

Had you mentioned one of the other three, I sure miss them... Escape From Monkey Island, on the other hand, was by far the WORST game in the series. How they screwed it up so much after Grim Fandango is still beyond me to this day.

Had you mentioned one of the other three, I sure miss them... Escape From Monkey Island, on the other hand, was by far the WORST game in the series. How they screwed it up so much after Grim Fandango is still beyond me to this day.

I might have the name wrong, perils of replying on the road from your phone. :jawa_tongue:

1. Warrior

2. Agent

3. Inquisitor

4. Consular

5. Knight

6. Smuggler

7. Trooper

8. BH

The warrior story has the best pacing and supporting characters. All 3 acts are very solid- there's no drop off. Other stories like the smuggler start off strong but taper off by act3. IMO the female warrior voiceover is tops.

BW did a great job with the stories, it's just that some are better than others.

Edited by Projawa

3. Smuggler

4. Trooper

5. Bounty Hunter

6. Consular

8. Chatting on fleet

12. Twilight

13. Jedi Knight

14. Imperial Agent

You think that Twilight, of all things, is better than those two class stories? If it's just because you're feeling hostile towards the classes because people think they're popular, I'd understand, but any major flaw with those stories is paramount across the full game, not just those two.

You think that Twilight, of all things, is better than those two class stories? If it's just because you're feeling hostile towards the classes because people think they're popular, I'd understand, but any major flaw with those stories is paramount across the full game, not just those two.

Dude was obviously trolling and seeking attention. Best not to feed it. ;)

Healing Operative to play (we're in a good spot for group play and we solo remarkably well) and Agent for the story.

Though it isn't commented on often, I find the Agent's story benefits the most from all the planetary side quests. While it doesn't make much sense for Ensign Soandso to ask Dark Council member Darth McToughGuy for favours, it works pretty well for the Agent. Makeb was also pretty much right up the Agent's alley.

I apologize for not getting back to this sooner, but I've been busy with IRL stuff.

The primary reason I hate the Agent and JK stories are due to IRL phobias which, due to a traumatic event, turned into horrible triggers. Fortunately, I finished the Agent story before this event. I do not know if I will be able to finish the JK story or replay the Agent story, but spacebarring and screaming will be involved.

Imo 1-10 doesn't really serve here. Rather, is the story worth following? yes/no

Ones I've played half way or further:

Finished the listed force user stories, while my Smug and Bh are around lvl 35 or so.

Smuggler - Spam Spacebar

BH - Spam Spacebar

Sith War - Worth following

Sith Inq - Spam Spacebar. If you are a gigantic StaWa fan who has read Darth Bane books and love em more than your mom, then worth following prolly.

Jedi Knight - Has tons of interesting elements. Repeatedly manages to sideline the said elements, instead investing ridiculous amounts of time to useless ****. Spam Spacebar.

When it comes to mechanics, I find Jedi/Sith classes most fun. Except stealther, playing one is/feels dirty:l

Edited by Stradlin

I would rate the stories I played as follows:

1- Sith Warrior (great).

2- Inquisitor (avg.).

3- Jedi Knight (cheesy avg.).

4- Imp. agent (boring with the exception of chapter 2).

5- Bounty Hunter (boring).

100- Consular (it sucks bad).

If it comes to chapters, I found warrior chapters 1, 3 are the best chapters 1 and 3. Imperial agent had an epic chapter 2, but for me the story fell apart in chapter 3 and chapter 1 was boring, but with an epic ending.

The consular's issue to me is less its story (I actually rather like the plot, especially Act 3), but the voice acting. They are both terminally zen, although the male one at least finds some times to shine, where the female just sounds the same no matter what is happening. Does that make sense for a Jedi? Sure. Is it pleasant or interesting to listen to for hours? NO.