What Bioware should do to make a quick 1M additional subs ?

Ivanblood

Well...If SWTOR, after patch 1.2, is realesed on Steam, it would easy make addtional 1 M subs. And if Bioware cuts the price down at half, the number would be even greater.

At least it worked for Rift, thanks to low price and Steam, that game is alive.

If SWTOR cuts down its price to 19.99 then we would play a 3M subs game.

Your proof of that number is?? Steam is nothing more than a middle man.. Bioware doesn't need it...

Also the game is $15.00 per month USD for everyone.. They are not going to cut prices for a single segment of the players..

So in your words they would have to lose money to make these 1 million subs that are out there somewhere?? Doesn't make much sense to me..

Edited by MajikMyst

Your proof of that number is?? Steam is nothing more than a middle man.. Bioware doesn't need it...

Are you kidding ? Steam is basically the platform for PC gaming. There are XBOX, PS and Steam.

Edited by Ivanblood

If this game were on steam it would sell like hot cakes. You dont need to state proof just log on steam and look at how many people are on there. No reason at all that people should be flaming on this thread. Its a very valid point.

If this game were on steam it would sell like hot cakes. You dont need to state proof just log on steam and look at how many people are on there. No reason at all that people should be flaming on this thread. Its a very valid point.

No, it's just an opinion. People disagreeing with someone's opinion is not flaming nor is it trolling. It's called discussion.

No, it's just an opinion. People disagreeing with someone's opinion is not flaming nor is it trolling. It's called discussion.

lame discussion if you ask me ... if the man suggests that maybe it would help being on steam who is anyone to say no you are wrong? How is he wrong? because someone decided to type on a thread for the sake of it? I stand by my original post.

Steam?? It worked for Rift..

Do you know how many players on Steam played Rift today?? I do.. Think it was a lot?? Not by any sense of the word..

According to Steams own stat page.. The peak number of players for Rift is 764 players.. Yup.. That is right.. 764 players.. Not even a thousand.. Counter Strike has the lead right now with over 68k.. Not even 1 tenth of a million.. Which is why I asked for proof.. While Steam is said to have 20 million accounts.. If you look at their current 3 day average.. Their peak number for the last 3 days is about 4.69 million users.. So you are telling all of us that a quarter of them will play SWTOR guaranteed??

Keep in mind that the numbers I quoted were not current players, but their peak number..

So no.. It didn't work for Rift..

See for yourself.

Still the other post was correct.. EA would put it on Origins before it woudl allow SWTOR to be put on Steam.. So this entire discussion is somewhat moot..

Edited by MajikMyst

Steam?? It worked for Rift..

Do you know how many players on Steam played Rift today?? I do.. Think it was a lot?? Not by any sense of the word..

According to Steams own stat page.. The peak number of players for Rift is 764 players.. Yup.. That is right.. 764 players.. Not even a thousand.. Counter Strike has the lead right now with over 68k.. Not even 1 tenth of a million.. Which is why I asked for proof.. While Steam is said to have 20 million accounts.. If you look at their current 3 day average.. Their peak number for the last 3 days is about 4.69 million users.. So you are telling all of us that a quarter of them will play SWTOR guaranteed??

Keep in mind that the numbers I quoted were not current players, but their peak number..

So no.. It didn't work for Rift..

See for yourself.

Still the other post was correct.. EA would put it on Origins before it woudl allow SWTOR to be put on Steam.. So this entire discussion is somewhat moot..

It becomes another platform making it more accessible to players. People who are very familiar with steam might see swtor adverts frequently and might decide to give it a try. That is a huge benefit for swtor if especially during the free week ends trials that they have the game advertised with 4.69 million users over a 3 day period.

So it would help certainly, but using rift as an example is not a fair example as well. Since for it to register rift players using steam it would mean that rift players logged into steam then logged into rift, which is probably not necessary and so a lot of the possible rift players coming from steam, would have logged directly into rift affecting that stat. Unless, they want to increase that stat to show their love for steam...then maybe someone should mention that to them.

Edited by VegaPhone

There's been some really good points made here, but also remember that EA is trying to take down Steam and replace it with Origin. Releasing one of their biggest products onto Steam would be massively counter-productive to that goal.

It becomes another platform making it more accessible to players. People who are very familiar with steam might see swtor adverts frequently and might decide to give it a try. That is a huge benefit for swtor if especially during the free week ends trials that they have the game advertised with 4.69 million users over a 3 day period.

So it would help certainly, but using rift as an example is not a fair example as well. Since for it to register rift players using steam it would mean that rift players logged into steam then logged into rift, which is probably not necessary and so a lot of the possible rift players coming from steam, would have logged directly into rift affecting that stat. Unless, they want to increase that stat to show their love for steam...then maybe someone should mention that to them.

The title of this thread is to make a quick 1m additional subs.. That is the claim.. Not whether or not Steam would be of any benifit..

Was it a benefit for rift?? Not hardly.. But I didn't bring up Rift in the first place.. See the first post of the thread..

You also don't need steam to download the game.. You can download it from this site.. As pointed out by another poster above..

Again, I didn't bring up Rift.. The OP did.. So fair or not, it was his example as a means to prove his claims.. All I did was provide some actual data to the discussion.. I did ask for proof in my original post here.. I wanted to know how he came up with the million subs number in his original claim.. I didn't believe that Steam would be that big of a benefit..

Based on the numbers in the link that I posted.. I don't think steam would be of much benefit.. As for Rift?? Like I said.. The OP brought that up.. I just put it into a proper perspective..

I also don't buy the login excuse you are using.. I am sure there is something in there that let's Steam know you are playing Rift even though you are logging in through the game and not steam.. I don't believe that to many people launch their games through Steam and they would have to have something to track their own users and who is playing.. How else are they going to attract other games?? I am sure there is just some little tag that is sent to Steam when you use a game you bought from them.. And then again when you log out.. Why else would you have to strictly download the game from Steam?? I can't imagine they would maintain those download servers for no reason.. They have to be adding a tracking tag of some sort.. Either that or the steam client just knows when you run a game and it sends something.. Who knows.. But there has to be a way..

Edited by MajikMyst

You also don't need steam to download the game.. You can download it from this site.. As pointed out by another poster above.

The problem is you should pay it on Origin first, and Orign is not very friendly to not US customers and regional restrictions are fierce. Steam, in change, is worldwide. In Russia, you can only get physical copies which are scarce, while Steam even include currency conversion in rubles. The same for Argentina, I had to recur to proxy servers to able to pay SWTOR while my internet connection is good, and I never had lag in the game.

And this is the biggest b*l**** of Origin: Bioware installer allows me download the game and play it from Argentina while Origin restricts me to buy it.

And this happen in many other not US countries.

This is the reason why I believe Steam would allow to sell more copies of SWTOR. Origin is pulling back SWTOR from additional 1M subs.

Steam saved Rift. Well...Steam and 7.99 discounts. The players you see in the stats are those who logged in through the steam, it doesn´t includes at all the players who logged directly through the game console.

Steam and 29.99 would do the same for SWTOR.

Edited by Ivanblood

Steam is by far the worst thing that has happened to PC-gaming since Windows 95. It has gone so far that if I see a game requires Steam, I won't buy it. It doesn't matter if it's a random game I've never heard of or Diablo III. If it requires Steam, i won't buy it. And before you ask why,

it's easy.

Steam is a requirement, so you can't avoid it. No matter how hard you look, and even if you purchase and download games from other, similar services, you are still required to use Steam. It doesn't make any sense at all. I mean if I download a game from GamersGate, why the heck should I be forced to use Steam? And not only that, but Steam requires full access to your games, and if it doesn't work, you can't do squat about it.

Then there's the fact it puts all your games in a subfolder for easy deletion. Really. If you try to reinstall Steam without uninstalling it first, say goodbye to your games, mods, patches, screenshots and all that. Same if you uninstall Steam. No other clients like that does it. You can even uninstall most games individually, and they all ask if you want to keep the user-content like saves and keybindings. Even if you agree to delete everything, many still leave things on your harddrive just in case. Steam don't even ask, it just deletes everything permanently.

Worse, you never buy games on Steam. You rent them. If you don't believe me, read the EULA. What this means is you pay full price to get access to game - as long as Steam wants you to. If Steam decide it won't support the game, it's bye bye game-access to you. They don't even need a reason. Now add those two together: You buy a game on GamersGate, Impulse, Direct2Drive or whatever, thinking you are done. But no, Steam decide it don't like the game and removes it from it's list, and guess what? You can no longer play it. At all. How does that make sense? And you agreed to the EULA, so you agreed to let Steam have full control of the game. That means you can complain all you want, but you can't do anything about it. You already said you agreed to let them screw you over anyway, so it's too late to complain afterwards.

So yeah, if Old Republic requires Steam, they have already lost one customer.

Edited by RepublicChicken

Steam is by far the worst thing that has happened to PC-gaming since Windows 95. It has gone so far that if I see a game requires Steam, I won't buy it. It doesn't matter if it's a random game I've never heard of or Diablo III. If it requires Steam, i won't buy it. And before you ask why,

it's easy.

Steam is a requirement, so you can't avoid it. No matter how hard you look, and even if you purchase and download games from other, similar services, you are still required to use Steam. It doesn't make any sense at all. I mean if I download a game from GamersGate, why the heck should I be forced to use Steam? And not only that, but Steam requires full access to your games, and if it doesn't work, you can't do squat about it.

Then there's the fact it puts all your games in a subfolder for easy deletion. Really. If you try to reinstall Steam without uninstalling it first, say goodbye to your games, mods, patches, screenshots and all that. Same if you uninstall Steam. No other clients like that does it. You can even uninstall most games individually, and they all ask if you want to keep the user-content like saves and keybindings. Even if you agree to delete everything, many still leave things on your harddrive just in case. Steam don't even ask, it just deletes everything permanently.

Worse, you never buy games on Steam. You rent them. If you don't believe me, read the EULA. What this means is you pay full price to get access to game - as long as Steam wants you to. If Steam decide it won't support the game, it's bye bye game-access to you. They don't even need a reason. Now add those two together: You buy a game on GamersGate, Impulse, Direct2Drive or whatever, thinking you are done. But no, Steam decide it don't like the game and removes it from it's list, and guess what? You can no longer play it. At all. How does that make sense? And you agreed to the EULA, so you agreed to let Steam have full control of the game. That means you can complain all you want, but you can't do anything about it. You already said you agreed to let them screw you over anyway, so it's too late to complain afterwards.

So yeah, if Old Republic requires Steam, they have already lost one customer.

+1. I would be gone as well. The only reason I don't play Civ V is steam. I loved all the other ones, and I cried when I realized it required steam. The whole steam concept is ridiculous, and I learned that when I was deployed a few years back.

I had no access on my laptop to the internet. We had 2 work computers, but of course, that doesn't count. It was a bare bones camp. No internet calls to spouse/family, etc... 6 months I was there. My mom sent me a game I had told her I really wanted to play. Can't even remember what it was now. but I know I really really wanted it. Open it up, put it in the drive, autorun kicks in, and says install steam?

I couldn't play that game the entire time I was deployed. I had the disk with all the information on it. It didn't need to be downloaded. I wonder what happens if/when the steam servers shut down. How many games will be lost forever?

Forget that. Move to steam, you lose me too.

+1. I would be gone as well. The only reason I don't play Civ V is steam. I loved all the other ones, and I cried when I realized it required steam. The whole steam concept is ridiculous, and I learned that when I was deployed a few years back.

I had no access on my laptop to the internet. We had 2 work computers, but of course, that doesn't count. It was a bare bones camp. No internet calls to spouse/family, etc... 6 months I was there. My mom sent me a game I had told her I really wanted to play. Can't even remember what it was now. but I know I really really wanted it. Open it up, put it in the drive, autorun kicks in, and says install steam?

I couldn't play that game the entire time I was deployed. I had the disk with all the information on it. It didn't need to be downloaded. I wonder what happens if/when the steam servers shut down. How many games will be lost forever?

Forget that. Move to steam, you lose me too.

console games, and arguable the entire games industry, is already looking at this problem. while we are still getting a ton of physical media the computer gaming industry has long been held to the maxim that you arent actually buying the game, but rather merely access to the software itself. with the rumors that the new xbox system was going to go entirely online with a possibility of disposable thumbdrives as conveyance of hard data this kicked up a bit of a controversy. honestly with more and more being tied to dlc and after market patches even for non mmo titles it only makes sense that the internet, and hence downloads, will be the future. once servers go offline in general these titles will be lost for good. with any "new" technology there will be bumps that need to be ironed out, such is the cost of innovation.

console games, and arguable the entire games industry, is already looking at this problem. while we are still getting a ton of physical media the computer gaming industry has long been held to the maxim that you arent actually buying the game, but rather merely access to the software itself. with the rumors that the new xbox system was going to go entirely online with a possibility of disposable thumbdrives as conveyance of hard data this kicked up a bit of a controversy. honestly with more and more being tied to dlc and after market patches even for non mmo titles it only makes sense that the internet, and hence downloads, will be the future. once servers go offline in general these titles will be lost for good. with any "new" technology there will be bumps that need to be ironed out, such is the cost of innovation.

And that is the problem with innovation. I can hook up my atari and play tanks. I can install the original Elderscrolls Arena and play it on Dosbox. Or I can play the original Doom. The more we go down this road, the less I will be buying. I am certain I will not be the only one. I spend $60 on a game, I want to be able to install it, and play it without all that extra stuff, or at least with that option. Any game (other than MMO) that requires a system like Steam will never receive my money. And again, my hatred of Steam in particular makes it where I would hate the MMO that used it too.

My biggest issue with Steam is that it's a requirement. GamersGate, Impulse, Origin, Direct2Drive and many others are for the most part all optional. If you download a game on D2D, you don't have to activate it other places than that. Sometimes not even there. Why then can I buy a physical copy of a game in a store, install it and then have to wait three hours to play it simply because the Steam-servers are down? That actually happened with Saint's Row 2. And that doesn't include the one-hour updates I had to download first to get Steam up and running. GamersGate, Origin, Direct2Drive and so on are all web-based, so you don't download anything at all. Even better, you can simply log in to another computer and download everything there as well, if you wanted to.

Basically, imagine if you bought a new game in a store and had to activate it on five or six different places just to be able to play. Sucks, right? But that's exactly what Steam is doing. If more people followed them, we'd be sitting a long time registering the game on countless places just to play a game we've rented.

My biggest issue with Steam is that it's a requirement. GamersGate, Impulse, Origin, Direct2Drive and many others are for the most part all optional. If you download a game on D2D, you don't have to activate it other places than that. Sometimes not even there. Why then can I buy a physical copy of a game in a store, install it and then have to wait three hours to play it simply because the Steam-servers are down? That actually happened with Saint's Row 2. And that doesn't include the one-hour updates I had to download first to get Steam up and running. GamersGate, Origin, Direct2Drive and so on are all web-based, so you don't download anything at all. Even better, you can simply log in to another computer and download everything there as well, if you wanted to.

Basically, imagine if you bought a new game in a store and had to activate it on five or six different places just to be able to play. Sucks, right? But that's exactly what Steam is doing. If more people followed them, we'd be sitting a long time registering the game on countless places just to play a game we've rented.

You clearly don´t use Steam a lot.

If you download a game on D2D, you don't have to activate it other places than that.

Sorry. But this is completely false. Steam is awesome becasue for the quite opposite thing: downloading on Steam means installing. Once you download the game you actually installed it and it´s ready to play. No other registration are needed. It´s that simple.

Another thing: Steam´s drm is actually the proper Steam. Once you installed the game on Steam, you don´t have to activate it. Once you installed the game on Steam the game will automatically patched. Once you installed the game on Steam you don´t need to worry whether the majesty DRM will allow you to play the game or not.

Steam is that simple.

Edited by Ivanblood

And that is the problem with innovation. I can hook up my atari and play tanks. I can install the original Elderscrolls Arena and play it on Dosbox. Or I can play the original Doom. The more we go down this road, the less I will be buying. I am certain I will not be the only one. I spend $60 on a game, I want to be able to install it, and play it without all that extra stuff, or at least with that option. Any game (other than MMO) that requires a system like Steam will never receive my money. And again, my hatred of Steam in particular makes it where I would hate the MMO that used it too.

Huge part of classic games is available on Steam and they will run on Windows 7 just fine. I don´t need Atari, Sega or Nintendo to play the most famous classics, they are already available on Steam for 1 buck.

Huge part of classic games is available on Steam and they will run on Windows 7 just fine. I don´t need Atari, Sega or Nintendo to play the most famous classics, they are already available on Steam for 1 buck.

You think it is the same playing an Atari game on your computer as it is for me hooking up my Atari 2600 to my TV and playing those games as they were originally intended? With that Red and black joystick with 2 buttons on it? That is why I prefer the old fashioned way. 30 years after I bought a system and games, it still works.

Can you say the same for Steam?