The Importance of Player Feedback with the New Free-to-Play Option

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a subscriber. Why don't you add more things that cater to us? Cartel coin monthly subsidy is nice but most of the items in there are nothing special or are on the GTN at reasonable prices. Add legacy level rewards. Add more social activities/minigames like card games or space pvp or racing. In other words, give us ways to entertain each other and reasons to log on. Add quality of life improvements like hood toggle. Streamline your asset development process so you can put out more regular content.

This means that across every server, we were originally allowed to have 50 characters total. With 12 per server. Now, apparently, we can have more then 50 total characters in an upcoming patch. Who the hell has enough time on their hands to play 50 characters? Or more now...

I've got lots of time... I could do it... I hate my life. :(

I believe that you've been going about this the wrong way from the beginning. The focus shouldn't be on restricting Free-to-play players, but rather on giving benefits to Subscribers. For example, give Subscribers new options like cosmetic things such as changing the color of clothing pieces or putting a hood down, or even making new appearance items specifically for them. Give Subscribers access to cool new things like a speeder from the movies or changing their ship droid's looks, or even additional choices for companion appearances.

FTP players aren't going to pay for a Subscription to remove the restrictions on them, because they already weren't willing to pay for a restriction-free experience prior to the launch of FTP; but perhaps they will see what cool things Subscribers get, and rather than "getting rid of annoyances" they will think, "I want to get that stuff! I get all of these cool things by Subscribing?" And I think more of them would find subscribing worth it.

You don't have to nickel-and-dime people to get money, you just have to offer them something worth paying for.

If you really want to get some valuable feedback to evaluate your F2P model you need to open a Free player only forum. You wont get much info from Fb or Reddit or twitter.

Giving prefs 2 additional hotbars is a great start along with the addition of character slots but these should have been there from the start. You could have avoided a lot of flameposts and negativity if you went rational early. And, frankly, i m very worried since i heard you were examining the option to monetize spacebar function during cutscenes. Thank god logic and not stupidity prevailed on this one.

Lift only a handful of the most annoying restrictions and win by changing the bad mood and bad reputation this game has on the MMO playerbase, do not restrict but entice and always be true to your playerbase. Be close to them, free or subs do not really matter, because if you play your cards right and make people happy then those people will spent. Do not force them but oblige them.

And be reasonable for a change. There are only very few of free players that havent ever played a MMO but if they have even a quarter of a brain they surely will not like the restrictions you impose to them, punishing them for being "freeloaders" and not thanking them that they chose your product to entertain themselves. Make them happy and they will pay. Else you are not going to get a dime out of them.

Agreed. Either put a "one strike and you're out" system on the forums for F2Pers, or open a (sub)forum for them.

As a former (and current) subber and a former f2per i can tell you in one words what i think of it. Rubbish. F2P is nerfed so bad, its unplayable. You either go sub or don't play at all.

Feedback feed itself isn't made very well.some game have nicely made dropboxes for feedback for specific suggestion about specific items/missions/etc.,and its badly needed here.

and saying that they have ear to ground with people,well that's both wish and bad joke.so many people asked about fixes and changes to so many thing since day 1,and most of them are still waiting,on bottom of list if even.for instance Ashara's body still looks like puke after year,where i saw like every month people suggesting giving her normal 'skin' skin & so much more in any aspect of game.

one of worst thing however is speed of actual changes,if they ever come.plus GM's quietness in suggestion forms.or ticket automated responds,usually giving you middle finger

I believe overall the f2p options are fair and adequate. The adjustments with hotbars for premium should be a good move on getting the free accounts to at least open their wallets slightly.

My biggest gripes are this:

Cartel items - The shops focused should have been more on consumables and BLANK armor kits. Having some of the best twink gear in game only available for purchase makes the game look more like pay 2 win. Although there are only a handful of items at the moment this could end up getting out of hand if it continues this route.

Plat spammers - Your team is way to slow on getting these guys offline. I have seen the same account go unchecked for hours at a time being able to spam at free will. This is extremely annoying and if I placed them all on ignore I wouldn't have any space left.

Whats missing? - I think your team overlooked a big profit center for crafting. Sometimes being short on a tier 2 or 3 item might make me store purchase for a node as long as I am not getting hammered on the price. Little dinks here and there should be more of the store focus rather then a huge money grab for one or two items.

Customer Service - When f2p went out I was on the phone for over 5 hours waiting for my call to be answered due to a security question needing to be answered. Subscribers should get priority in phone calls very easy to set up and should be done. If I have another issue logging in it will be easier to cancel my account by calling my bank then getting through to swtor to resolve my issue. That is a failing business model and should be your top priority if you wish to retain customers.

free-to-players .i hoped it will bring fun and more people to play with.now they are filling my ignore list.why:

1.ninja looting.ex(or current)WoW players knows well what this means.you run instance and boss drops Heavy armor with aim.F2P player playing assassin goes need!.and cunning boots... strength normal lightsaber...list goes on.

2.filling chat with foreign languages.OK.i am foreigner myself,but i use language set for server.if someone wants chat in their own,fine,but do it in /whisper or /guild,or make your own channel.its stupid and rude to fill up chat with one-sided discussions

3.constant complains ,how restricted gameplay is on f2p .simple solutions:A,you sub // B,you quit

Hello everyone,

Please discuss the The Importance of Player Feedback with the New Free-to-Play Option blog in this thread!

I think we can all agree that the best part of f2p is the non-stop credit spammers. This is exactly what the game was missing. I say mission accomplished Bioware. Now this game has everything it needs to be a fail game.

I think we can all agree that the best part of f2p is the non-stop credit spammers. This is exactly what the game was missing. I say mission accomplished Bioware. Now this game has everything it needs to be a fail game.

I think you brought up 1 of the major issues with f2p. I see a lot of gold spamming in chat, and even the spammers whispering to people. A lot of people say to just hit ignore but there is always another 1 and reporting them does nothing since the person behind them can simply make another. If I had anything to say to the developers it would be to make it so that if a message is repeated in the exact same format that that message be blocked. I think Bioware has done a really great job with this game and I enjoy playing it.

Can you say ...altaholic ...lol ...it's the journey, not the destination.

I have 28 toons ..been here since beta and my highest is a 31 BH.

oh ...need has nothing to do with it ;)

OMG I am so glad to see i'm not that strange!! LOL

I have 13 character across two servers, highest is JK 41 Guardian, and SM 37 Gunslinger

And I always want to stop by Higher character and try a different twist on a new character :)

But I agree with the general consensus, listening to the F2P crows is great, just listen to us subs too. There are a ton of amazing ideas in this thread alone.

Do something about credit (gold) spammers. We're getting our General chats and even IM's spammed constantly by various toons on our server. Also a server merge so we have more than 20 people on our fleet at peak time would be nice >.>

F2P'ers should not be able to spam general chat and if this wasn't the case you wouldn't see the constant robotic gold farming credit card offers in game.

Paid subscribers should have their own chat channel that the F2P'ers can not see. Or, at the very least be able to read but not reply to comments on the channel.

Why would someone make a suggestion like this you ask?

I've noticed the quality of information has been debased megafold since the F2P'ers found fleet. The conversations are less informative and now resemble the back and forth you would see with instant messenger or children texting one another.

Advertise Preferred status more. It's no monthly fee and by spending at least $5 people get so much more (like the 4 extra character slots you plan on giving). I don't think many outsiders are well aware of Preferred and how so much better than the actual F2P status is.

Okay. If you're really listening devs, please "listen" to the following (in no particular order of preference):

1. Same gender relationship arcs, including expanded normal relationship options (i.e., such as a knight being able to romance Lord Scourge etc.).

2. Purchaseable character slots (beyond 12 slots). (Not sure if your 50 global characters covers this.)

3. Purchaseable character name changes.

4. Purchaseable legacy name change.

5. Purchaseable server transfers.

6. Purchaseable faction change.

7. Purchaseable character design change (aka, the "barber shop").

8. Purchaseable character gender change (possibly linked to the above).

9. Specific controls for space flight battles (so I don't have to reconfigure my controls every single time I want to do a space battle!!!)

10. Faster ways to get end-game gear for casual players.

11. Separated colour crystals from stats crystals.

12. Skimpy adaptive gear for male users (i.e., a male equivalent of the slave girl outfit to put on male characters).

13. Cross faction talk.

14. Ability to add friends or ignore users at an account level rather than just character name, plus have this apply to all characters.

15. SAVE MY CONTROLS/KEYBINDS AND APPLY THEM TO ALL CHARACTERS!!! (Just like with UI configuration.)

16. Mini-games (i.e., Pazaak, Swoop Racing etc.).

17. Remove the cost to remove modifications from armour entirely for subscribers. It's an unnecessary credit sink.

18. Massively reduced cost for subscribers to add augment slots to armour! At the current cost, most players will only add augment slots on their end-game armour, as otherwise the investment is too steep.

19. PvP Space Combat and free range space battles.

20. Hood on/off toggle like we've been asking for forever.

Edited by llesna

Wow - are you short on player feedback or something? I'd think that with

pazaak/mini-games

SGRAs

chat bubbles

armor design

non-raid PVE endgame content

more playable species/customization

endless quality of life enhancements

and let's not forget - bug fixes

you've got plenty of feedback to get started on!

My advice would be to add the Customization Control Unlocks (Display Titles, Display Legacy Name, Hide Head Slot, Unify Colors) for people who have purchased the game. There are plenty of other things that former subscribers who bought the game are willing to pay for to get what they want out of the game, and giving them these unlocks for purchasing the game would make coming back to the game more comfortable for them.

At least those features that were present when they purchased the game, should still be there. Newer content could be charged for, but I agree with you. Seems like a good perk.

Do they?

Yes they do ;)