Could/Should Star Wars be taught in school?

Wolfninjajedi

Been actually thinking about this for some time, just wondering if anyone else has had the same thoughts. Yes folks believe it or not all the star wars movies have educational value to them, pretty much every character and most scenes you could compare them to characters/events from history. Theres history, literature, mythology, philosophy, religion, politics, morals etc there is a reason why Star Wars is an epic I really think that if they taught Star Wars in school it would not be out of place at all. If you look at them in a deeper meaning, they are far more then just movies.

Or they could always show this in schools too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHa5RbuH5F0

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Couldn't you make this same argument for any good literary work or movie?

It could work if the teacher and students were really excited about it. I don't know though, I'm not sure how much you could really get out of a serious discussion then you'd get from just watching the movies a few times. They really aren't too complex.

Couldn't you make this same argument for any good literary work or movie?

It could work if the teacher and students were really excited about it. I don't know though, I'm not sure how much you could really get out of a serious discussion then you'd get from just watching the movies a few times. They really aren't too complex.

You probably could yes, but these are movies and its star wars which not only are movies but they are something that has changed the world as a whole. You could actually have some serious discussions about the characters, their archetypes, what they represent, the balance between good and evil.

Palpatine could be considered as the devil, dictator, ruler

Luke/Anakin could be the everyday man, they want adventure, they have insecurities just like everyone.

Han/Obi-Wan- The friend that looks out for you, always by your side, gives support when needed.

I could go on and on.

Been actually thinking about this for some time, just wondering if anyone else has had the same thoughts. Yes folks believe it or not all the star wars movies have educational value to them, pretty much every character and most scenes you could compare them to characters/events from history. Theres history, literature, mythology, philosophy, religion, politics, morals etc there is a reason why Star Wars is an epic I really think that if they taught Star Wars in school it would not be out of place at all. If you look at them in a deeper meaning, they are far more then just movies.

Or they could always show this in schools too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHa5RbuH5F0

Yes, but in a film/drama class. Not English or Math.

In my Film and Music Arts class they show classic westerns with John Wayne and Eastwood allot.