BW, do you ever intend on addressing Tank Powertech/Vanguard in pvp?

Azrienov

As it stands, these tanks are by far the worst in pvp. They are easily handled by every AC in the game in situations where they're expected to 1v1. You know, like guarding a node, or a door. Which happens more often than not. They don't deal anything like damage, which is fine because they're a tank.

But they have no survivability either.

A marauder in this game is dangerous because he can tear you apart if you don't make the kill first.

A tank sin in this game is dangerous because he can absolutely control a character's ability to move in a warzone and specced correctly, can NOT be knocked away from his intended target.

A Juggtank still has issues, but they have closing attacks, plenty of CC abilities, and better defensive cooldown in their tree, and the ability to interdict out of a bad situation. And don't forget that saber ward. Good stuff.

The vanguard tank got pretty much nothing that is as useful in pvp. They have the typical two stuns(rather than the mezz both other tanks enjoy...) , a baseline pull that gets more QQ than anything I've ever seen when used in huttball, a base line stealth probe, and a buggy as all hell air run... the defensive cooldown lasts for 12 seconds, while only reducing the damage by 25%. Armor in this game is pretty much a joke with the amount of free penetration you've handed out, and the spec name "Shield" works on less than half the damage you'll take in pvp. Defensive stats get a pathetic rap, and the suggestions that will come saying "Sit out on the edge of the fight and shoot stuff" makes little sense given that you have to be in the fight to use one of your stuns, your surge, most of the AoE attacks, and you nerfed our range to 10m(thanks for that by the way...).

So with all that in mind person that reads forums on behalf of people who don't, what does the guy named after the capital of Tejas have to say about this most disappointing of specializations? Hell, I'll throw it out there, most disappointing of ROLES in pvp.

TL;DR

Why does a healer out tank a tank so well in pvp?

Edited by Azrienov

I admit, I wish the Powertech/Vanguard tank had a little more in the way of tricks and utilities. The lack of them is what's holding us back compared to the two other tanks. I also did not want to go Pyrotech because of the recent nerf and simplistic nature of its rotation. I am currently trying out Advanced Prototype because Hydaulic Overrides is more useful than Jet Charge in everything except Huttball ramps and Immolate is much cooler than Heat Blast.

I have not yet given up on Shield Tech, though its hard to feel useful on a PvP team. :(

I have little hope of PT/VG tanks receiving an additional active cooldown due to the design philosophy of them favoring passive mitagation expressed here:

http://www.tankingtor.com/2012/05/swtor-tanking-specific-interview-with.html

While high passive mitagation (armor, shield and absorb chance) works in PVE, it doesn't work quite as well as active (on use) avoidance and mitagation cooldowns in PVP (e.g. Increase melee/ranged defense by 50%, reduce all damage taken by 40%, etc.).

However, an AOE slow, an On-demand slow, or increasing the duration of the slow tied to Neural Overload would help make this AC spec have a bit more of an annoyance factor in PVP.

Smoke grenade/oil slick could be a place to start. Tying an AOE slow to that, and/or making the accuracy debuff affect force/tech/melee/ranged similar to the Gunslinger and Sniper's Diversion 11 point skill from the respective Sharpshooter/Marksmanship trees.

Please BW, I am tired of being a shadow compared to my DPS brethren. No one cares about us in pvp. We aren't as bad as the commando, though.Mght want to try and fix them first.

not as bad as the commando, and more easily fixed. honestly, the passive stats do nothing in pvp. fix smoke grenade as has been suggested. that won't affect pve AT ALL. play with its cd and work from there.

As it stands, these tanks are by far the worst in pvp...They don't deal anything like damage, which is fine because they're a tank...

But they have no survivability either.

I beg to differ: http://i.imgur.com/Ulzz5.jpg?1

500k damage / 300k protection / 0 deaths. If that's not being "useful" as a tank in PvP, then I don't know what is.

Edited by TheronFett

500k damage / 300k protection / 0 deaths. If that's not being "useful" as a tank in PvP, then I don't know what is.

I won't draw conclusions from your reposting of that screenshot as I'm not sure the direction you are headed in.

I believe the OP was arguing that the tools provided to the PT/VG tank didn't make them "as useful" in fulling a Tank's role in pvp when in comparison to the other 2 Tank ACs. Which I agree with to a point. Such that if I had to fill a tank spot in PVP I would prefer one of the other two ACs. Not because a PT/VG tank isn't capable but because I feel the tools of the other two Tank ACs give them a better opportunity at fulfilling that role.

If anyone was curious how I am defining the Tank role in pvp, I'm just adhering to the developer vision from that same interview.

Austin: The vision for tanks is PVP is quite simple: protect allies and make yourself an unfortunate (possibly even annoying) target for the enemy. This is done with Guard and Taunt and increased control, but it’s not really possible without extra survivability. Guard is only a real threat when the one providing it is a nuisance to take down.

Excerpt from: http://www.tankingtor.com/2012/05/swtor-tanking-specific-interview-with.html

However, an AOE slow, an On-demand slow, or increasing the duration of the slow tied to Neural Overload would help make this AC spec have a bit more of an annoyance factor in PVP.

Smoke grenade/oil slick could be a place to start. Tying an AOE slow to that, and/or making the accuracy debuff affect force/tech/melee/ranged similar to the Gunslinger and Sniper's Diversion 11 point skill from the respective Sharpshooter/Marksmanship trees.

Pretty much this. These are great ideas, I hope Bioware is listening.

1. Go to fleet.

2. Go to skill mentor

3. Change your tree to pyrotech

4. Profit

^ My solution after shield was gigged. I kept the gear in case tank became decent again. But the salient point that I want to add to this discussion is ::Bump::

Edited by Joesixxpack

I love when people post screens like this. Without fail everytime there is usually 2, sometimes more, healers on at least one of the teams that has 700k healing. Congratulations on your game where the healers were allowed to stand there and free cast through your damage. Practically nobody died in this match.

I just said.. According to Bioware. My post isn't exactly long, for you to have missed that is quite sad. It was stated in an interview a while ago.

Oh right, because bioware knows their pvp balance so well and whatever they say must be 100% correct

You guys have a viable spec in PVP. In fact, it's a darn good spec. Why are you complaining?

Because it's not the spec he wants to play? I don't think it's too much to ask for the devs to bring the specs that are falling behind in line with the viable ones. In fact, isn't that the whole point of balancing? Granted it will never be picture perfect but it's also no reason for us to just be content with being pigeon holed into certain specs just to be competetive.

Because it's not the spec he wants to play? I don't think it's too much to ask for the devs to bring the specs that are falling behind in line with the viable ones. In fact, isn't that the whole point of balancing? Granted it will never be picture perfect but it's also no reason for us to just be content with being pigeon holed into certain specs just to be competetive.

Too bad. You should be thankful that you have 2/3 good specs to play. Not to mention a Hybrid "trucker" spec is very viable and there is a whole thread about it in the PT forums.

Edited by Phasersablaze