A way to make Cartel Item's something you can work hard for as well as purchase

Nanglez

I think OP that even though I did read your entire post I needn't have bothered. You basically want to be able to play the game for free and never have to pay EA anything. As EA is looking to make a profit from the game they have no reason to put in a system such as you suggested.

Thats pretty much the sum of the OP.

He's not worried about a time sink to eventually acquire the gear he wants. He just doesn't want to pay anything at all.

I'd have to vote this down.

I have a rule, if the OP has all caps, large, red font in it, I immediately discount the terrible ideas in it and it appears that this is another instance where this is a valid response. All you seem to want is to get the cash shop items without paying for them. Cool?

To the OP:

I read the first 2 pages of this thread.

You are suggesting an in-game way of obtaining stuff in the cartel market. Plain and simple. You can farm warzones to get the 3rd currency. The amount of 3rd currency to obtain something in the Cartel Market means nothing. The time involved means nothing.

Bioware already stated they are not looking at a way to for players to obtain Cartel Market by in-game means. All of the other posters have called you out on it and your blind to see that.

/thread

Ok, OP. In short, this third currency is, essentially, a rewards program. An additional incentive to play. Presumably over time players could buy an additional item as a result of this third currency. It's like frequent flier miles, or points program. But here is the problem OP, the currency itself would be so under valued it would almost be irrelevant; an after thought at best. It would take so long to accrue enough of this third currency to get something worthwhile it would hardly be and incentive. You see, the incentive for subs already exists in the form of the monthly Cartel coins. An additional watered down currency would be redundant and insignificant.

Now, having said that, let me point out that chastising others who reply irrespective of their thoughts on the matter is in itself short sighted. If you are really interested in a conversation you take the responses for what they are sift through the chaff and get to the nuggets that spurr on an informative discussion or debate. Based on your responses, what you were really looking for was blind agreement which is btw no better than those who you claim don't read the OP.

To the OP:

You are suggesting an in-game way of obtaining stuff in the cartel market. Plain and simple. You can farm warzones to get the 3rd currency. The amount of 3rd currency to obtain something in the Cartel Market means nothing. The time involved means nothing.

Bioware already stated they are not looking at a way to for players to obtain Cartel Market by in-game means. All of the other posters have called you out on it and your blind to see that.

/thread

Seriously, we are lucky that the items in the bag aren't bound and can be sold on the GTN.

To the OP:

/thread

Pretty much this.

I'll just bring up something that may or not have more or less been argued already, but a game like HoN does that as an incentive to keep people playing, with the ultimate purpose of getting them to cave in and buy stuff (but at the least keep playing so that it keeps people who will buy stuff playing).

SWTOR does not need that as there are plenty of in game incentives. There is no upside for EA/BW doing that.

The closest to this I can think of would be Turbine's DDO and LotR F2P models, although I don't know if they still do it. You would get meager amounts of points (DDO may have used an alternate system, destiny points or something) that would allow you to unlock something over time but I don't know how well that worked for them. Keep in mind they were facing being the first ones to introduce this model (at least to mainstream North American MMOs).

I'll just bring up something that may or not have more or less been argued already, but a game like HoN does that as an incentive to keep people playing, with the ultimate purpose of getting them to cave in and buy stuff (but at the least keep playing so that it keeps people who will buy stuff playing).

SWTOR does not need that as there are plenty of in game incentives. There is no upside for EA/BW doing that.

The closest to this I can think of would be Turbine's DDO and LotR F2P models, although I don't know if they still do it. You would get meager amounts of points (DDO may have used an alternate system, destiny points or something) that would allow you to unlock something over time but I don't know how well that worked for them. Keep in mind they were facing being the first ones to introduce this model (at least to mainstream North American MMOs).

Right. However, in this case, the carrot is 500cc a month for subscribers. It is enough to do a small thing or 2 for fun, but is also potent bait for someone to say, "I only need x more to get the items that I want." In many cases, people would rather have items now and would rather spend another $5 or so to get some more coins than to wait another month or two.

Damn, the replies are making it more and more evident that people aren't bothering to read the whole thing (which makes me wonder why you feel compelled to comment) I stated in my OP, that I would not be bothered by/nor disappointed if they didn't do this?

NO, people are reading. They are reading you try to create an alternate path to the content available in the coin shop. It's not needed. I get that you want it, but want =/= need.

Tim is right. And you need to settle down IMO and stop attacking people for disagreeing with you.

Damn, the replies are making it more and more evident that people aren't bothering to read the whole thing (which makes me wonder why you feel compelled to comment) I stated in my OP, that I would not be bothered by/nor disappointed if they didn't do this?

lol, I love your responses after every rambling screed you send up on these boards so hard. In fact you can't even wait to respond, your initial posts are loaded with "i know you simpletons won't read or comprehend me up front, so just go ahead and be HATERZ".

I would actually like to see cartel coins earn-able in the game. I would suggest that commendations be convertible to Cartel coins at the rate of 10 per day. Only subbed players could earn cartel coins in this way.

This allows a small cartel coin bonus to players per month (about 100 per month or so) in addition to the 500 already offered, and a way to get rid of commendations that you will never use.

Just my two cents.

Thats pretty much the sum of the OP.

He's not worried about a time sink to eventually acquire the gear he wants. He just doesn't want to pay anything at all.

I'd have to vote this down.

/Signed as well :p

And yes, I've read thru the first few pages.

Having a way to acquire these Cartel Coins in game by any method beats the purpose of Swtor going F2P.

There was another similar topic where a SCC (Senior Community Coordinator) replied to..

SCC reply to "Will we be able to earn Cartel Coins via in-game activities? "

Edited by nattodaisuki

Clearly you don't understand. I named the hypothetical third currency Galactic Currency. What I was actually saying (which your maths has nothing to do with) is that if the price of an armor set were 1200 cartel coins, the galactic currency's price would be significantly higher then that. And due to the fact that the currency would take a significantly long time to earn, you'd have no advantage in using Galactic Currency over Cartel Coins. As Stated in OP (Which I already know you didn't read properly) Galactic Currency would serve a long term purpose. If you were someone who intended on NEVER EVER spending money on the cash shop - that wouldn't matter in its entirety, because 6 months down the track you might have enough GC for say... 1 armor set?

If you cant grasp that cartel coins don't work like this in any way whatsoever, then I'm done trying to explain it. It means that:

let's pretend i want the Chiss military armor set for 1200 CC coins OR 5000 Galactic Coins

I COULD:

BUY 1200 CC COINS INSTANTLY --> INSTANTLY PURCHASE CHISS ARMOR

OR

SPEND MONTHS PVPING/FPS/OPS/ETC for a microscopic monetary rewards (1-2-3 coins per weekly mission completion/ops completion/world bosses etc etc) called "Galactic Currency" WHICH AFTER MONTHS OF SAVING, I COULD THEN SPEND ON THAT SAME CHISS MILITARY SET.

Is it that *********** hard to understand?

Op the problem with this plan is it's a redundant system.

If you are a subscriber you will receive 200 CC a month. So no matter what you want he shop you have it faster just by waiting around. This is completely a bonus, very similar to what you are proposing. After logging on to the PTS and checking the prices of the passes we are most certainly getting our money's worth with our subs. So these 200 coins are already a free bonus. Now you want another bonus on top of that?

As for the the free players earning these it would be a direct contradiction to business model for the F2pers. The whole point of having an F2P model is to get them to buy things from the store or maybe in this case have them sub. There is simply no reason to give them any form of currency that they can use in the market. If they want it hey will buy it or sub. They aren't going to cater to people who would rather pay nothing and grind away for 6 months for a chest piece. That isn't the demographic they are aiming at with this business plan.

Let's not also forget that for F2Pers to earn these via social interactions like WZ's, FP's or Ops they would need to spend CC for the passes instead of just using them to get what they want. So in reality they would be paying BW with a currency worth X to farm for a currency worth X * (> .5). It just makes no sense to do that.

Overall this is a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. Subbed players are already getting a form of currency worth more for free, we don't need even more (it would be nice but BW has no incentive to do this). F2Pers don't need a reason to be driven away form the shop or from subbing, they would also need to spend more to make less.

Well they can't just give everything out for free, or they won't make any money. The cartel stuff is cosmetic things, you can play the game fine without them.

Not like any of it will be special or worth buying once 1000s of people are running around with them anyway.

Edited by NasherUK