Star Wars: The Old Republic – State of the Game #2

EricMusco

premade vs random; nothing mentioned, nothing intended to be done.

FAIL of pvp.

In competitive sports; if you had a random bunch of people who had never met vs a team that trained together daily AND had better communication (voice) then it would be unfair.

Somehow the company thinks this is fair.

This is the unfairness that SWTOR has allowed in the last year, and we can praise them for not letting level 50 premade ruin pvp for pre50's, but that i all they have improved in terms of fairness... it is still the same random vs premade unfairness that dominates this games pvp.

In 2.5 months; if it is still the same FAIL of pvp; premades vs randoms, I am declaring the game ungreebly and not coming back.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear swtor developers.... *** about Asia pacific servers? Merge? It's becoming a joke. My guild and I and many other on our server would say we all enjoy the game. And understand it has its weaknesses and bugs. But having a game that is heavily multiplayer when you hit end game. PVP or PVE. But when you log on to see about 40 people on fleet on your average night (peak) and maybe 10 during the day. It's utter crap!

I do not think anyone should be punished for which server they picked.(this goes for us and eu as well).

Merge...

Transfers...

Rant over!

Love

Beezle

Check out http://www.torparse.com and start uploading!

One thing I would really like some feedback on is the state of the codex!

When can we expect this to be updated and fixed so that it is possible to complete. For us completist out here and those with ocd in particular :D I can assure you it drives us mad :mad:

For example a year on and the way i see it I have yet to finish the starter planet for any of my characters as the codex tells me there are things missing! very frustrating I can assure you PLEASE PLEASE FIX THIS

I gotta say- it's pretty hilarious how many people are freaking out over SGR- because a few lines of dialogue and a couple flirt options with NPCs I'm sure is going to cost the company millions to implement.

I love how this is somehow now purported to be a "BW priority" by some here, people decrying that, while actually it's the fourth point on the list, and hasn't been addressed in months.

Grow up, people. Honestly.

Edited by Lent_San

I don't want anything in 1.7 but bug fixes.... PLEASE

^ This, 1000x this. Honestly Idc one way or another about SGR, just an excuse for 13 yr olds to say "ZOMG I GOT TO SCISSOR MY COMPANION!!!" Redo of Ilum meh, was broken from start to finish. Added difficulty modes, meh. Yes I want NiM Asation, but tbh it should've been in from the get-go. Having to go back and do previous content "only harder" is tacky and speaks of lazy game design and stalling.

They have spent the majority of their developer time giving us vague hints of what may or may not ever get in-game and adding re-skinned items to the $$$ store. How about the long promised, never delivered update of the retardedly overdue codex system? Yes, most people don't care about it, but I guarantee more care about that than SGR and a new throne thats silver instead of red. Why does Gharj still bug out in EV? Why are the vorticies in hm tfb still gone and the anomaly phases still gone? Why does my game crash to desktop when I finish Esseles or BT? It's sh it like this that they need to work on. Yes new content is hugely important, but my God if you can't get your ducks in working order for content 12 mo. old, how can we trust it won't be more of the same?

The next update needs to simply be 1.7 "Rise of the Exterminators." Fix the bugs and codicies and only that. Then and only then should you be putting in SGR, Ilum re-deux, pink thrones and the like.

Edited by Twolightsabers

..and still no guild housing or player housing...nothing NEW on the horizon of real merit then...if its never going to happen, it would be nice for it to just be said so we could stop wading through more pointless raids and unexciting PvP crap. The game has been plagued with bugs and broken PvP since the outset, and numerous promised made in development have YET to be implemented...and yet same-sex interactions; additional raid content; free-to-ruin; and the cartel nonsense seems to be the Dev's best effort to misdirect and appease God-knows-who! Edited by Netavarious

good to see communication from the dev's. I personally cannot see same gender romance offering anything i want to see in my game of swtor. I also think that even if i did want same gender romances the ballache of starting yet another toon to get those options available to me isn't really something i would be fond of doing. Will same gender romance be allowed to people already levelled up to 50 ?

I am another of "those" people who would love to see chat bubbles added to the game. Im a old school mmo player and its hard to keep track of who is saying what when there is so much spam in the busiest instanced areas of the game. Obviously this could be a toggle option for people who dont like it.

It would be great to see some new species added into the game too. I was initially very excited for the cathar race when seeing it in a gaming show video but then when they didn't materialise i wont lie i did feel somewhat disappointed.Then when i heard rumours that the race could be part of the cash shop i just sighed. But now at this point in time id just like to see some extra options available to me when making a toon.

I would also personally love to see more items added to the cartel maket. My current issue with the cartel market as it stands is the fact i can spend a lot of money and not get anything i want from it. This is good business for yourselves but as a customer if i cant buy exactly what i want i just wont bother doing so. I initially spent a lot of money on cartel packs but got burnt out when the items i wanted just were not dropping from the packs. The game as it stands makes it easier for people to go to gold sellers and buy credits to get what they want off the GTN. This is something i cant get my head around....As a customer do you think people will spend hundreds of dollars to get a random drop or just visit a credit farmer so they have the cash in their pocket to buy it ? People know what they want and will do what they have to to get it. What im saying is i would rather put my money in the pocket of Bioware than to a chinese third party gold selling business to get what i want from swtor.

I want to see more personalisation from the game regardng toons.

I want to change hairstyles and remove add tattoos etc. Some way of changing customising toons ??

More Meta games please lets have some pazzak , podracing , chance cube silliness, gambling machines that pay out in cantinas, maybe a player bounty system to allow bounty hunters or agents to hunt players to give people in game a way of amusing themselves and others.Why for the love of god is there no krayt dragons to hunt in groups on tattoine ( there are skeletons of them there ? These sort of things will allow people to make their own amusements and activities with friends or when friends arent online. I also am very interested in a better space game. I have played the current space game and found it a very underwhelming and terribly linear experience considering im supposed to be in space.

Its good to see the dev team actually speaking to the community tho. Posts like this one give long term players a certain amount of hope. Do people at Bioware listen ? Well posts like this will prove that.

Edited by R-Tee-Doo-Tee
adding info spelling

With the exception of the Ilum revamp (which we knew was coming) and same sex relationships in Makeb (which might be great for some and meh for others) there's not a lot in there, just vague promises that we've all heard 100 times before.

I mean it is quite unbelieveable that after more than 12 months they haven't even got chracter copy to the test server sorted. :(

Some communication is better than none, of course, but WAR has more in its MONTHLY developers letters than SWTOR does in its 6 monthly state of the games. :confused:

Edited by Goretzu

Get off your high horse speaking for others, there are people that want transfers.

more people want a merge before transfers wasn't speaking for the whole APAC community most of Master Dar'Nala want a merge. we want to play with our great ping so we can kite and not get hit from around a corner and huttball love getting over the line for a goal on your screen but dying because your still in the fire.

But if you love playing with a gimp go for it.

The State of your game is buggy. Tell the engineers to put down Asian bride monthly and stop watching step brothers and get to fixing the bugs.

It's in your long term interest to fix the bugs before they outnumber the players.

Oh and welcome back to work! :p

Edited by nartiuslightlord

I came back to this game because I read about a new expansian and asumed they finally implemented SGR and open world pvp after a year.

Reading both are delayed for probably a long time makes me a quite sad puppy.

I don't think these devs are capable of living up to what the players want.

Edited by Zandar

So "proper" open PvP appears to be shelved for the foreseeable future, or even for good.

Can't say I'm really sad about it anymore. While this game has a suitable setting for large-scale action, truly open PvP is probably one of the hardest things in game design, and with populations being as imbalanced as they are (Jar'Kai Sword, the German PvP server, seems to have roughly a 2:1 Imp:Rep ratio), it'd hardly turn out any good. A gated community, instanced, disconnected zergfest like in GW2 might work, but it would, IMO, not be based on a good precedent.

So… more warzones then. What about bigger warzones? 12v12 or 16v16 should be possible and would up the scale significantly.

(On an unrelated note, I just don't get the hard-on some people who think writing in weird colours just to stick out would be a good idea seem to have with chat bubbles. I sorta, kinda get the thing for SGRs, although it's 50% disturbing ;); (edit) thanks Vlacke for clarifying that point :p)

Edited by Laurreth

I'm glad to hear about Ilum. I'm not a huge PVPer, but I do enjoy it, but it's bad to let an entire planet just waste away. Glad they are going to mess around with it. I have to agree, game is more fun now, and I'm hoping the HC is fun when it's finally released.

Good update overall. I assume they are talking about rewards for World PvP that encourage small skirmishes and one-on-one fighting. But we'll see.

SGR: so BW is saving some money by removing the gender variable from the expansion. Before, they had to develop two different NPCs for two genders of player characters to have their romances. Now they only need one. And, they are getting free publicity out of it, so curious people will be inclined to check it out. Smart business move, I say.

SGR: so BW is saving some money by removing the gender variable from the expansion. Before, they had to develop two different NPCs for two genders of player characters to have their romances. Now they only need one.

Only if they want to enrage the heterosexuals for a change. Just saying.

This is the company that used the Canadian flag for the English language choice though, so we'll have to see about that :D

I gotta say- it's pretty hilarious how many people are freaking out over SGR- because a few lines of dialogue and a couple flirt options with NPCs I'm sure is going to cost the company millions to implement.

It's not a big thing to add compared to pvp true- but it's also not something that's going to take many resources to add like something in pvp would. There's thousands of dialogues in this game- you really think adding three or four more specifically for the SGR community is going to be a huge drain on resources? What a joke, you guys should be ashamed of yourselves for being this deluded.

I agree that the SOTG was rather pointless- mostly just being vague more- but whining that SGR are getting some kind of special treatment because they're being given a fraction of what we all get story-wise after the game's been out a year is simply absurd.

Do you really think if they decided to not have SGR- there would be bug fixes, pvp balance, a new FP, etc... suddenly put in? Those things not getting put in has nothing to do with SGR- it's entirely due to BW simply being completely out of touch with the playerbase/on such a skeleton crew they can't do anything anymore, so blame that, but SGR clearly is not the culprit- almost everything you people are complaining about have been problems for most of the last year, when there wasn't even a hint of SGR.

But, I guess people need something to blame- so go ahead, keep blaming people of different sexual orientation, whatever makes you sleep better at night.

Working on SGR may not affect PVP, etc, but it most certainly affects adding new class stories and companion dialogues. I'm pretty sure more people who play this game would find enjoyment in new companion conversations over special written SGR dialogue that most of the same gamers will completely skip altogether. The fact is, they are having the story department work on SGR and they are shunning more class story lines. Something way more people would find enjoyment in.

Nothing for me here... I'll play my last story lines out as FTP (obviously on a new account as I will have to delete chars even to play on a server I've never touched).

You are not doing anything to give me value for my £8.99 a month.

good to see communication from the dev's. I personally cannot see same gender romance offering anything i want to see in my game of swtor. I also think that even if i did want same gender romances the ballache of starting yet another toon to get those options available to me isn't really something i would be fond of doing. Will same gender romance be allowed to people already levelled up to 50 ?

Since it's only with NPCs and not companions... and those NPCs are only on Makeb, yes. Makeb is their coming out of the closet planet.

While there wasn't any mention of a continuation of class story, I really like hearing from Mr. Hickman in this fashion. I always felt like the information was distributed in a semi thrown about way that was hard to track. With this state of the game, I feel like I am not in the dark. I know what the direction of the game will be in the coming year, and it's something I definitely approve of. I never wanted every little detail provided, just the overall direction. My main desire is class story, and I wish it were included. But, I know what the main focal points are coming up and that's the type of communication I desired. I don't feel like I'm blind to what the plan is. I appreciate the communication, especially in this format.

Okay so you guys are doing one thing i have been interested in the toon copy to test thank you. Secondly you guys keep putting pvp in a way that is pve. I REALLY HATE IT. I have the game for pve and with pvp like it is now.... I really do not like to pvp. the pvp sucks in this game. When Illum was open pvp it was really fun. Now you guys keep coming up with 9 yr old content... PLEASE STOP.

So far with this guy's 'state of the game' it's turning into all talk. Talk is cheap, bugs are still crawling ALL over me in game. Performance is still an issue. C'mon man stop patting your own back and actually start fixing!

I'd say get people OFF THE FLEET! Expand each planet's size to include a heroic zone dedicated for 50s.

Do something about performance man. How about dialing down the view distance. I don't need to see the very ends of a planet.

Make crafting worth something again! Right now with planet comms leveling up there is NOOO point in crafting. Hitting 50 and getting drops also overwrite crafting professions.

Want world pvp? Simple just get Reps and Imps closer to each other while they level, do dailies or quest. We'll take care of the rest.

Group space combat OFF RAILS! Have objectives and we as a team complete it.

Put in pvp brackets. Get rid of the 10 - 49 bracket. Don't do server pvp queues. Merge all servers into one queue.

Let us guide our own ships to the planet instead of point and click. Expand on our ships. Let us have MUCH more to do in there.

Write more scripts for NPCs. Let them do SOMETHING! Move around at the very least.

I threw generalities in there. I could be VERY specific if asked to but these I don't think are reasonable. Looking at what other MMOs have done with their game this isn't asking for much.

Edited by DigitalDreamz

All I wanted to hear was that chat bubbles for spatial chat are actively being worked on coming in the next month or two. Yet no mention of them whatsoever. Very disappointing, Hickman!

By the way, the discuss this article link on the blog isn't working.

chat bubbles work better in comic based games ....they become destractions in non comic games sadly. I loved them in COX ... had macro pasted comments on all my major attacks taunting as i let lose my nukes or drop an ice slick. But in star wars chat bubbles would be a bad thing especially in raids. Someone macros a big joke on ther orbital cast and you dont notice a red circle .. YOUR fault the raid wipes ?

because this game is so mechanics heavy chat bubbles is not likely to happen without major hate mail from end game players.

What i am really disappointed in is no numbers .... "increasing number of players" doesnt give us even an idea. At least when DDO did its first State of the Game they gave us numbers. 500% revenue increase (doesnt matter what it was matters that it increased substantialy) from 60k to over 2 million player base .... etc.

We had 500k give us a number we can look at .... are we sitting pretty at 3 million players ... are we still sitting at 500k ish because of all the lost players having there spots filled with nothing more then f2p (not premiums) ?

what is the spread .... i know in my guild alot of the f2p players in the last month have been convinced by guildies and through gameplay that they should at very least be premium (out of the 30 active f2p we have seen more then 10 sub and all the rest become premium in our guild alone). Why not be proud of your numbers ... you dont have to give us details but give us an idea of the growth ... that is what people expect in a state of the game address.