A few thoughts on PVP...

Aandolas

I will attempt below to post a few concerns I have with the current state of PVP, class balance, and give a few fixes I have been thinking about. I dont know the issues that every class has faced because I have only played a Sorc, Marauder, Shadow, Bounty hunter, and Commando so far to 20+. any feedback you can give in teh comments is appreciated.

Broken Issues

1) Game loads me into a Huttball thats in progress. I run up ramp just as shield goes up. I get booted for inactivity before shield comes back down again. Waste of time sitting through 2 loading screens and get dragged from my questing area back to Fleet Station.

2) One day i had an issue where I left the warzone and got stuck on loading screen at 50% for 2 hours.

3) Running around healing in a warzone on my sorc and randomly get booted from warzone for inactivity.

4) Open world PVP has absolutely no point or reward.

5) Group queing for PVP doesn't work. Removes you from group when leaving warzone, and you dont stay in the same que.

6) Sometimes in Alderran Warzone the speeder bikes disappear and don't come back causing people to be kicked for inactivity being stuck on the ship.

Imbalances

1) Bounty Hunters/Smugglers , and Inquisitor/Consular , Trooper/Agent classes currently have the highest DPS in PVP, All of these type auto track their target and do not have to manually face to use abilities. All have multiple CC's even early in the levelling process, all have multiple instant cast damaging abilities without ridiculous animations that mess up chaining attacks.

2) Warriors have high DPS when specced right but become disadvantaged in PVP due to lack of CC, 1 gap closer, having to manually face constantly bouncing opponents who can just run through you to nullify your attacks. This is extremely disadvantagous considering the large majority of the player base faces almost unplayable lag in warzones. Marauder/Sentinel have to deal with all this plus having minimal survivability.

3) Shadows/Assassins have some similar issues to Warriors like the manually facing opponents issue.

4) Heal specced Sage/Sorc have very limited options in PVP. 1 instant cast heal, a shield with a long diminishing return, and 1 fast cast heal that heals for less then a single spammable attack from any class. Far to many CC's in the game for healers to even get off their big heal. something like 3 in 10 cast successfully.

Possible Fixes

1) Remove the auto tracking from all classes. Every class should have to deal with manually facing an opponent to attack them even with instant attacks. A bounty hunter for example shouldn't be able to bounce around a melee spamming instant shots and bombs simply because they don't have to manually face their opponent.

2) Extend the inactivity timer from 30 seconds to 75 seconds. This will ensure that a player has 2 full rotations of deployment shields to get back into the battle.

3) Healers need something in their spec that allows heals to become instant every time they are crit, and the shield should probably have about a 10second diminishing return only. Also it seems that Sorc/Sage shields and Bounty Hunter shields are not scaling under bolster effects like all other abilities.

4) Warrior classes should probably get at least 1 more gap closer or remove the cooldown on Force Charge, and a unbreakable 4-6 second AOE stun with a 60 second cooldown. "Warriors biggest damaging abilities are channeled and have long cooldowns. One or the other has to go. a melee that has to stand still and channel a melee attack is just asking to be killed. All the rage building marauder attacks do less dmg then spammable instant cast blaster fire from other classes."

5) For open world PVP you could award a certain number of commendations based on the level of the opponent you have killed as loot. Also give open world PVP kills a Favor award.

Feel free to add any thoughts or comments. Please keep them considerate and useful. I would really like the devs to see some positive feedback. This game has the potential to be a great PVP environment.

This is taken from Pellicus post on fixing teh FPS issue in warzones.

"Windows 7:

* Right click your SWTOR Launcher shortcut

* Click properties

* Go to Compatibility

* Disable visual themes

* Disable desktop composition

* Run this program as an administrator

* Hit okay and boot SWTOR

I don't know if this will work for everyone, but from someone playing on a rock solid PC this fixed my FPS in Warzones instantly.

TLDR: Make Windows 7 look like Windows XP, fix Wazone FPS.

Note: This made my Warzone FPS go from 7 to 40 but everywhere else my FPS remained the same (Generally pretty good)."

Edited by Aandolas

I absolutely agree with the facing your opponent issue. I play a JKG and didn't realize bounty hunters could just fire off instant attacks while bouncing through me and facing the other way.

This presents a scenario that can be largely abused as, as you said, there are current latency/targetting issues in pvp that make melee hard enough. Now we have to take dmg from a bounty hunter that is running through us with no regard to which direction he's facing? LUDICROUS!

1/ cuz of lagy pvp, turning of autotrack casting will lead to melee dominance. On other hand, my first char used to be melee operative, after few BGs where i was basicaly unable to backstab, i left him at lvl15. Its not about autotrack, its lagy/response problem at pvp.

U forgot another PvP issue, and its voidstar respawns for defenders. First doors are worst, then u can rush thru rest, while respawned defenders watching thru spawnglass (goes in like 75% games). Its not rare for atackers running across bridges while defenders waiting behind glass in starting room. Some kind of autotransport to actual zone would be nice + activating bridge would remove glass in spawn room.

Edited by DwaneDibbley

I would actually agree with everything BUT the manually facing someone issue.

I absolutely, ABSOLUTELY love that, as running THROUGH someone (which is stupid in itself) just to cancel their LONG AS HELL CAST TIME MOVE effectively rendering them a crappy class is beyond reason to me why WoW did that. It's completely, absolutely, and UTTERLY fair that I get to aim at you whereever you go, when, all melee have to do is be ON me. Do you not get the imbalance that the opposite creates?

Melee gets to hit me as long as they're next to me. In the current state of the game, so do I, as long as I can see you. Might want to use environment more. What, you think I DON'T get to hit you, as a squishier class, just because you run inside and behind me? lol, that's ridiculous. The TRADE OFF is that those classes are squishier.

Well, BH excluded because I think the class needs some tweaking.

But regardless, it's completely fair.

Edited by Jessicayla

I would actually agree with everything BUT the manually facing someone issue.

I absolutely, ABSOLUTELY love that, as running THROUGH someone (which is stupid in itself) just to cancel their LONG AS HELL CAST TIME MOVE effectively rendering them a crappy class is beyond reason to me why WoW did that. It's completely, absolutely, and UTTERLY fair that I get to aim at you whereever you go, when, all melee have to do is be ON me. Do you not get the imbalance that the opposite creates?

Melee gets to hit me as long as they're next to me. In the current state of the game, so do I, as long as I can see you. Might want to use environment more. What, you think I DON'T get to hit you, as a squishier class, just because you run inside and behind me? lol, that's ridiculous. The TRADE OFF is that those classes are squishier.

Well, BH excluded because I think the class needs some tweaking.

But regardless, it's completely fair.

I don't think you understand the base argument. We are not talking about cast time abilities here. Obviously you have to stand still for those and you shouldn't be able to dance through them. I am talking about the instant cast ranged abilities in the game like dots, stuns, knockbacks, pistol blasts, bombs, grenades, darts etc... The classes with these can dance around a melee at range spamming these attacks while the melee spends most of his time just trying to face the right direction spamming his keys until he gets lucky and the game registers the person in front of you and attacks. Not to mention trying to keep the person within the 4m range so the attacks can land. Worst of all the warrior classes have significantly less cc's then the other classes, and 1 gap closer on a 30 second cooldown.

My thoughts on PvP...

...is that it feels too much like Warhammer and they have not learned much of anything from Warhammer's "success". Don't mistake the fact that people were looking for something good to say about Warhammer that the PvP in that game was actually all that good. After you got past level 19, the PvP in that game really turned into a goat *&%.