Why do people give so much hate?

Glided

Mention a game, movie, song, band, series, genre, or whatever else you're into and I'm sure you can easily find someone out there who'll laugh & proceed to tell you how much it sucks. Most likely a whole lot of someones.

Many may have valid complaints of the flaws and/or how it doesn't line up with their preferences. Which is reasonable for discussion. Others turn it into something else. The "anyone enjoying things I don't like is a moron" crowd. Odd bunch they are. Best to ignore them, move on, and continue enjoying what you like.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate leads to anger.

And anger fuels our force grip and force lighting.

And force grip and lighting are fun!

;-)

From the other side im not sure what devs preffer:

- Hate and anger on the forum, but still play and pay.

Or maybe:

- Calm as sir, but just think "this game sucks, i would better come back to Kotor" and never log in again.

Mention a game, movie, song, band, series, genre, or whatever else you're into and I'm sure you can easily find someone out there who'll laugh & proceed to tell you how much it sucks. Most likely a whole lot of someones.

Many may have valid complaints of the flaws and/or how it doesn't line up with their preferences. Which is reasonable for discussion. Others turn it into something else. The "anyone enjoying things I don't like is a moron" crowd. Odd bunch they are. Best to ignore them, move on, and continue enjoying what you like.

That is so true, I read other forums outside of gaming, and many many times, I could remove a movie title or song name and replace it with any game you wish it would fit the complaints.

some peolple seem to forget that not everyone shares the same opinion as they do, good or bad, people will be people, I learned along time ago, I never listen to haters, fanbois, or reviews, it's my money my choice if I don't like something I move on, thats what works best for me...:)

For me, I really like the basics of this game. A lot. However, every single time we get a patch the devs break something, usually very obvious. It's like they don't even playtest a minor change. I feel that they just don't care and are collecting a paycheck.

Also, compare the Known Issues list with the Patch Notes. They do not match up, except for maybe one item every 3rd patch.

Hello, i'm new here and this is my first thread ever. I gave it some thought about what I wanted to make m first thread about and I have decided that I really wanted to know why people regard this game as trash. It takes time for an MMO to gain momentum. this game has been out for a year now, we are just getting started

Like, I was talking to my friends and I told them I picked up SWTOR and they just laughed at me. To be honest I have had more fun in this game than 3 years of WOW. So what do you guys think?

Why do people hate this game so much? :mad:

If you are new to the game I would strongly recommend doing two things:

1) STOP READING THIS FORUM IMMEDIATELY. Go play the game , try it out yourself, make your own decisions of what you think is cool and isn't cool. Don't rely on the opinions of others, OR your friends -- your cash, your choice.

2) Before you decide to post on the forums about your opinion of the game, consider very carefully your own experiences and the context. If you have one character at level 18, don't assume that because you are having a blast that such fun is going to be same all the way to 50 for both side and all options. Don't make blind declarations of "the game is great" or "the game sux" but focus on features that you like that you would like to see more of , or problems you've encountered with your ideas on how to fix them.

There is entirely too much bashing , both by people who like the game or hate the game or hate parts of the game or like parts of the game, to build any kind of consensus on anything except that we all talk too much, myself included. You should make your own opinions, because asking people what they think of this game is not going to bring much critical thinking, only screaming invective.

I had some people that plyaed with me the when SWTOR was first released and they dont play anymore, here is why?

The planets are designed for leveling and travel from fleet to a level 20 planet takes a long time for very little reward in fact there is no purpose to going there at all.

The feeling that you just hang out on fleet all day waiting to que up for warzones/flashpoints over and over gets extremly boring.

Open world PVP is at ZERO and Illum was a bust

Space combat would not be so bad if SWG had not already done something better.

There are no chat bubbles and very few emotes, now they are actually charging RL money for emotes.

The gear is terrible looking, though a bit better looking now IMO.

Everything is just a grind

Characters can't even sit in chairs. That is just ridiclous

This game is just not designed for RP and is just 100% about running around fleet selling wares and doing flashpoints over and over and over.

Either way people get bored of this game very quickly, and really only the starwars fans enjoy it. (myself being one of them) but I know that if i liked elves and stuff I would be playing something else. EQ2 is more fun to just play IMO, i can jump from a cliff and swim in the ocean all day there lol.

The only thing keeping me here is the IP

I suppose the problem is that despite annoncments, advertising and general hype the SWTOR is still:

"Just another kinda avarage WoW clone in space."

Which brings disappointment in three waves:

Wave I are players who never have intencion to play a WoW or other timesinks grindfest, and are expecting from studio which made ME2, DOA, or Kotor a quality gaming experience.

Wave II are players who want new, better WoW with lighsabers and space combat. But they are stuck down by general avaregeness of SWTOR.

Wave III are a players who will really play anything without major bugs or inbalance issues. But even in that SWTOR fails.

So no matter how low you set yout expectacions you will soon get disappinted and bored with SWTOR.

Edited by lichoniespi

The hate comes from the utter failure to meet market and fan expectation

The hate comes from the closed door/closed mouth approach EA has taken towards the TOR player base

The hate comes from not receiving the game players were promised

I would add two things to this:

-BW's total ineptitude at Patch quality control (for several patches straight, BW broke more of the game than they fixed and constantly required Patches to fix Patches).

-The fact that BW has straight up lied to the community in the past. Not just failed to meet expectations or didn't communicate things properly, but straight up lied.

Add those two points to what Kalfear listed and you have the reason why I have a love/hate relationship with this game. I've been subbed since EGA and never quit, even though I wanted to a couple times (namely after Patches 1.1 and 1.2). I've had a lot of fun playing this game and still do play it on a regular basis. I even bought the Makeb update.

However, I've lost all confidence in BW and am somewhat bitter with how they have handled things, especially PvP (which is really all I do in this game). Granted, things have improved somewhat in the past couple months, but BW has a lot of ground to make up to persuade me to fanboi for them.

So much hate for many reasons but the primary reasons why there is so much hate are these :

1. Game is linear and not wide open like in Star Wars Galaxies,..many from SWG came here to play after it was shut down,.so they are very vocal here in the game and in the forums

2. Space combat is on rails - arcade style....turns alot of people off

3. the Generation gap...people from original star wars era vs the KOTOR crowd....these two camps are constantly butting heads. Bioware went with KOTOR for this game,...it's a direct knock off from KOTOR. The star wars crowd wanted a game more from the movies,..but because of copyrights and legal issues they couldn't do that...so we got the OLD Republic instead lol

4. Horrible customer service,..but this is understandable since so many play this game,...you could not pay me enough to be a customer service rep

These are just a few reasons and there are many many more. I love this game,..I think it is great but wish it was more star wars from the movies but that's just not gonna happen. I wish we had flying mounts on the planets so we could explore things better

Mount speed is horrendous...it needs increased speed by alot. Force Jump,..sure there is force leap,..but it's not quite the same now is it? Would love Force Jump in the game...so cool to jump up directly 20-30 feet

Hello, i'm new here and this is my first thread ever. I gave it some thought about what I wanted to make m first thread about and I have decided that I really wanted to know why people regard this game as trash. It takes time for an MMO to gain momentum. this game has been out for a year now, we are just getting started

Like, I was talking to my friends and I told them I picked up SWTOR and they just laughed at me. To be honest I have had more fun in this game than 3 years of WOW. So what do you guys think?

Why do people hate this game so much? :mad:

It really does boil down to the fact that these devs are unable to fix the many many bugs that have plagued this game since launch. Their attention to detail is unbelievably lacking and indicates a lackluster management team at all levels.

There are already long laundry lists of reasons on the forums already, use the search function to find them.

But here are some off the top of my head:

Lack of bug fixes

Lack of communication from community representatives/developers. In every mmorpg forum people always say this.

Lack of bug fixes

Space shooter on rails It's supposed to be a mini game. I would imagine in a full expansion they will add a 3d base space game like swg did

Lack of bug fixes

Lack of chat bubbles This is more of preference I personally don't care like SGR

Lack of bug fixes

Lack of Open World PVP Supposedly the makeb expansion or next patch will have some world pvp kinda like what happen on islands in wow during bc, those were fun

Lack of bug fixes

Lack of a continuation of Class Stories in the lolexpansion DLC that should be a free content update to subscribers Continuation of class stories is again preference. I haven't finished all the stories even though I been 50 on some character for couple months. While it would be nice I don't see class stories as critical

Lack of bug fixes

As for bug fixes they seem to be making an effort to fix bugs and personally haven't really experience many bugs in game.

I had some people that plyaed with me the when SWTOR was first released and they dont play anymore, here is why?

The planets are designed for leveling and travel from fleet to a level 20 planet takes a long time for very little reward in fact there is no purpose to going there at all.

The feeling that you just hang out on fleet all day waiting to que up for warzones/flashpoints over and over gets extremly boring.

Open world PVP is at ZERO and Illum was a bust

Space combat would not be so bad if SWG had not already done something better.

There are no chat bubbles and very few emotes, now they are actually charging RL money for emotes.

The gear is terrible looking, though a bit better looking now IMO.

Everything is just a grind

Characters can't even sit in chairs. That is just ridiclous

This game is just not designed for RP and is just 100% about running around fleet selling wares and doing flashpoints over and over and over.

Either way people get bored of this game very quickly, and really only the starwars fans enjoy it. (myself being one of them) but I know that if i liked elves and stuff I would be playing something else. EQ2 is more fun to just play IMO, i can jump from a cliff and swim in the ocean all day there lol.

The only thing keeping me here is the IP

RP were never a very big segment of any mmorpg any way. I do agree the game needs to be more spacious and not to be so linear especially when you reach 50. For leveling purpose I don't think it matters after all leveling is leveling. Sitting please, I doubt it many players care about sitting. What your going to do sitting on chairs? Role play lol? That's kinda the attitude of the majority of the population.

Edited by Knockerz

i HONESTLY BELIEVE THAT IF THEY WOULD DEVOTE JUST ONE FULL PATCH/CONTENT CYCLE TO BUG FIXES ONLY, THAT 50% OR MORE OF THE QQ'ING AND HATE WOULD STOP. Granted there would still be screaming on the forums even then, but at least it would be about things that ppl WANT in the game and not things that we NEED in the game.

Simply put BUG FIXES= a need

Class changes,cosmetics,more end game, more/better pvp, etc.= a want

For what it's worth, I agree with you. I think the MMO market still has potential, especially in the casual gamer demographic. The kind of people who play Facebook games, but wouldn't see themselves as real "gamers." There is a certain subsection of those players who could be ensnared.

Part of why SWTOR's inital failure is so embarrassing for EA is that Star Wars is such a powerful brand. You would think (and this seemed to be their thinking) WoW gameplay + Star Wars = win. But I don't think they were ever up front about the kind of game people would be getting. And when they found out, many, perhaps most, didn't stay.

F2P has given the game a new lease on life, and I'm hopeful that Bioware can make the most of it.

Market conditions had a lot to do with this game. Had this game came out when they were first starting to developing it, then the game would had a lot of appeal. However, swtor came out in December of 2011 and any veteran mmorpg player has already played the type of mmorpg swtor was developed into, a wow like clone, which dozen of other mmorpgs have imitated. You also have saturation of mmorpgs that are like wow clones. I think that was their biggest obstacle when the game went live.

SWTOR should have been a bit different than wow or other wow like clones so that people would not feel like they are just switching to a wow like game with a starwars appearance. Personally, I think some thing like 2/3 theme park base and 1/3 sandbox would done better for swtor with a better engine that could handle large number of players. Although the engine problem might just fix it self over time as people acquire better computers.

I remembering running swg and getting system lag on it and the same is true of when I played wow. My last computer started lagging bad in 25 mans, but this new computer has no problems.

Edited by Knockerz

Regarding the engine, part of the reason it's so unimpressive is that it wasn't designed for the future. However dated SWG may have looked at the end of it's life, in 2003 the graphics really were very impressive. Compared to other MMOs, it was a unique experience. And there was a level of attention to detail, not just in characters (though the number of customization options you had were staggering), but in environments, mobs, and critters. Even WoW, for all SWTOR fanbois like to make fun of its "cartoony" graphics, was a nice looking game for its time. WoW, and especially SWG, challenged computers of its day because it was written for the future. You don't have that experience because SWTOR's graphics are designed for today.

In many ways, that design philosophy seems to run straight through every aspect of SWTOR. Aside from companions, for the most part the devs just took snapshots of the MMO industry in 2008 and coded a Star Wars skin on top.

RP were never a very big segment of any mmorpg any way. I do agree the game needs to be more spacious and not to be so linear especially when you reach 50. For leveling purpose I don't think it matters after all leveling is leveling. Sitting please, I doubt it many players care about sitting. What your going to do sitting on chairs? Role play lol? That's kinda the attitude of the majority of the population.

Its not the sitting that matters, its the lack of that ability. Its the little things like that which are missing that make the world feel less alive and more like a waiting room for queing up.

Regarding the engine, part of the reason it's so unimpressive is that it wasn't designed for the future. However dated SWG may have looked at the end of it's life, in 2003 the graphics really were very impressive. Compared to other MMOs, it was a unique experience. And there was a level of attention to detail, not just in characters (though the number of customization options you had were staggering), but in environments, mobs, and critters. Even WoW, for all SWTOR fanbois like to make fun of its "cartoony" graphics, was a nice looking game for its time. WoW, and especially SWG, challenged computers of its day because it was written for the future. You don't have that experience because SWTOR's graphics are designed for today.

In many ways, that design philosophy seems to run straight through every aspect of SWTOR. Aside from companions, for the most part the devs just took snapshots of the MMO industry in 2008 and coded a Star Wars skin on top.

SWG had atmopshere, this song when loading in is a great example

The sunset on tatttooine and the subtle music when the weather changed really brought alot.

Bioware had the tools and resources to create something far superior but they created such a stale world.

There are already long laundry lists of reasons on the forums already, use the search function to find them.

But here are some off the top of my head:

Lack of bug fixes

Lack of communication from community representatives/developers.

Lack of bug fixes

Space shooter on rails

Lack of bug fixes

Lack of chat bubbles

Lack of bug fixes

Lack of Open World PVP

Lack of bug fixes

Lack of a continuation of Class Stories in the lolexpansion DLC that should be a free content update to subscribers

Lack of bug fixes

Pretty much this. One thing I do like in this game more than wow is pvp, I have a lot of fun with the combat in this game...feels more fluid.

SWG had atmopshere, this song when loading in is a great example

The sunset on tatttooine and the subtle music when the weather changed really brought alot.

Bioware had the tools and resources to create something far superior but they created such a stale world.

I played SWG from the first day to the last, and it was at the same time the best MMO ever made, and the worst. It would be nice if Bioware could take some of the depth and innovation of SWG. Mirrored with the overall fairly solid, if uninspired WoW-clone gameplay, you could have something really special.

, if uninspired WoW-clone gameplay, you could have something really special.

Yeah inspiring WoW really holds the game back.

I sometimes imagine how cool it could be if the gameplay was more like Jedi Outcast for saber classes and ME for gunners. And it hurts. Like Planetside + Chilvary with lighsabers and flamethrowers.

So much wasted potencial.

Edited by lichoniespi

People generally give reasons for why they now hate TOR. usually, they didn't start off by hating TOR, but by loving it or at least wanting to love it.

I'll admit I have a lot of anger towards swtor these days. I cancelled my 6-month subscription.

For me, much of my anger comes from being lied to repeatedly about a variety of topics. When I type out the long list of things, it makes me very angry, so I won't do that just now. I could make a multiple-page post detailing broken promises. I could make a detailed post showing quotes from the company saying one thing followed by proof they knew what they were saying was false at that time.

If you want something specific, here's a list of the state of the game at the 1 year anniversary.

1. No sittable chairs in cantinas.

2. No multi-person vehicles.

3. No free-form ship flight (no super secret space project)

4. No Same gender romance arcs.

5. No in-game marriage

6. We STILL have orbital "loading screen" stations you must travel through to get to a planet.

7. Still no minigames (pazzak, sabbac, swoop racing, gambling, ect...) other than space minigame

8. Still no incentive for open-world PVP.

9. Still no chat bubbles

10. Still no standard-issue emotes like laying down.

11. Still no sandbox elements added.

12. Tab Targeting still does not start from the center of the screen and move out from there.

13. Still no guild mail.

14. Still no guild captial ships.

15. Still no new races.

16. Still no new character customization options.

17. Still no appearance tab.

18. Still no way to change your appearance in-game (baber shop for example)

19. Still no dual spec (dual spec saves your spec/gear between swaps)

20. Still no equipment manager

21. Still no "ready check" in-game.

22. Still no new class story content

23. Still no way to change the size of your text in chat.

24. Still no guild tools like calanders.

25. Still no character descriptions.

26. Still no place to display your "guild description". Why is that box even there?

27. Still no place to display the "guild rank descriptions". Only guild leader can see them, and they wrote them!

28. Still only a tiny space for the guild message of the day.

29. Still no static player housing

30. Still unbalanced warzones that pit recruit gear vs war hero because ....

31. ...there's still no cross-server warzones.

32. Still no cross-server grouping (I used to be glad there was none, but populations keep getting smaller...)

33. Still no mods (I'm still OK with this one)

34. Still no tools for player generated content like mission creation like that seen in other major sci-fi MMOs. (SWG, STO, EVE, ect...)

35. Still no atmosphic flight. Jet-boots are merely a mount animation, you are tied to the ground.

36. Still no replacement for Ilum (this kind of goes with the lack of incentive for open-world PVP)

37. Crafters still can't name objects they create.

38. Still no animal mounts

39. Still very few emotes.

40. Still very few fluff items

41. Still no new faction-specific operations or flashpoints. (Will Empire players ever fight Republic in PVE?)

42. Still poor communication from developers. Players want the answers to life, the universe and everything. Yet developers still have no way to communicate. Is Makeb coming this year? They've been promising it would be this year. We have a video six months ago confirming Makeb will release this year. The content was described as "huge" by Jeff Hickman three months ago, yet it isn't being tested yet. Any other developer, and the faithful would urge patience. This developer pulled ranked warzones from patch 1.2 hours on patch night. Oh and there still isn't the promised "Solo que" for ranked warzones.

After this "state of the game", makeb was pushed back until Spring, subscribers were told they would have to pay extra for a content patch. Individuals who paid for their cartel coins STILL did not get them, despite the cash they paid. The Life Day "Event" turned out to be not an event at all, but a 24$ pack of items on the cartel market, and Bioware also added some of the coolest armor sets (Like the Jedi Knight one that you see on the box art) back into the game we hadn't seen since beta.

Oh ... except those armor sets they added back in were added for 14$ on the cartel market. If you've been a long-time customer, it's hard not to be angry.

Edited by Suzina

This is just my opinion, and this can differ from another person, and is not unexpected.

I played City of Heroes for 8 years, was there bugs after 8 years, yes , did some exist from beta , yes.

What was the game like in the first couple of years, buggy, did patches introduce bugs, yes, was the game different after 8 years, yes a lot had been changed and introduced especially over the last 4-5 years of it's life.

Did all these changes occur overnight, no, now how do I find playing star wars the old republic in it's current state ?

Absolutely fine, I have not encountered any real showstopping bugs, and enjoy playing.

Do I have a wish list, yes, global friends ability (see my friends on any server and toon) and ability to sidekick (auto match friends level) to play, what do I do, put them in the suggestion box, and go back to playing.

Do i complain they do not exist, no, but I will keep suggesting them.

Pretty much this on the topic of 'hating the game':

1. Most dont.

2. This is the internet.

3. Do not be mistaken and take the (vocal) majority in game forums as the majority of the player of said game. This goes for any game, not just SWTOR. Peole who are happy with the game usually usually simple play instead of writing comments.