Would you support being able to change armors colors

Touche

True enough! And it was one of the worst things ever! Why would we want to see the return of something so aweful?

Because you have to have faith that other people think like you do......assuming you believe that you yourself think rationally.

My little sister would make her Jedi pink in a heartbeat, but she's a little girl and she'd make it look cute, not clown-ish. (and probably rack up a huge cartel-market bill on my credit card....)

Like you, everyone was thrilled with the color-match because it meant no more rediculousness. None of those people are looking to go back to that, so you don't have to worry about the vast majority. FTPers will have to pay for the dye-unlock, so they won't waste a dye-kit to make their toon look like a clown, especially since they can do it for free right now. So you're left with the little girls, like my sister, who would make it look cute, and the wierdos who are already running around in the absurd default-colors.

The end result isn't really going to change, there's no reason to restrict colors.

Edited by Primarch_PWnD

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should have clarified my comment a little better. I don't mind any colors being in the game but they need to restrict how they can be used. If I can take a dye can color my whole chest piece pink it will look ridiculous and take away style from the game. You need to limit colors to where and how they can be used in the game. Give customization but still guide people to a specific aesthetic.

They are already guiding us to "specific aesthetics", that's why we want more control over customization:cool:

I would support this a thousand times over! Give us a large color pallete and let the players choose what color to wear. I have no problem what-so -ever is some BH wants pinks armor. This game needs a deeper customization system. It's one thing SWG did right. Their character creation system was also much better, but that's for a differant discussion.

Bioware needs to let the players choose the color of their outfits!

Because you have to have faith that other people think like you do......assuming you believe that you yourself think rationally.

My little sister would make her Jedi pink in a heartbeat, but she's a little girl and she'd make it look cute, not clown-ish. (and probably rack up a huge cartel-market bill on my credit card....)

Like you, everyone was thrilled with the color-match because it meant no more rediculousness. None of those people are looking to go back to that, so you don't have to worry about the vast majority. FTPers will have to pay for the dye-unlock, so they won't waste a dye-kit to make their toon look like a clown, especially since they can do it for free right now. So you're left with the little girls, like my sister, who would make it look cute, and the wierdos who are already running around in the absurd default-colors.

The end result isn't really going to change, there's no reason to restrict colors.

Truthfully, I have no problems with complete color customization. I just dread what I'm afraid I'll see running around everywhere. :p

Jedi in a pink robe? Seems fine to me! Jedi looking like a complete clown? Will make me sigh on the inside.

I'm also sure we'll see some great color combos from many players. So it's not like there won't be some good with the bad. The bad just tends to overshadow the good.

Of course, the unify color option does that with some outfits as well. I know I had to turn off unify colors for one outfit because it looked terrible with how the game unified the leggings to the black and red chest piece.

True enough! And it was one of the worst things ever! Why would we want to see the return of something so aweful?

Technically it still exists in game... The colour match isn't on by default, so what does that say about the player base?

I would like to be able to dye some of my characters cloths to a theme that matched within my legacy. I would also like to dye the colours so that they suited the 'personality' of my character and helped to make them more individual/personal.

As for re-skins, I've noticed that a lot of the current re-skins (in-game, not CM) have differences in stats, one has more endurance, the other has more of the class' base stat and so on. As for the CM gear, the destroyer set is a reskin of some heavy armour, just like the red Inquisitor top is of light armour. Colour dyes wouldn't cause a problem here because what's becoming available in the CM is specifically Adaptive armour, yes they have different colours, but the main thing is that any character can wear them regardless of faction and armour grade.

Edited by Ithilwen

The colour match system is great. It's not perfect and does throw up some weird choices occasionally, but on the whole it works. A big part of the reason why I like the art style in this game is the fact that there aren't many garishly coloured armours and most people (at least the ones using colour match) look pretty decent.

Giving people complete freedom to colour their armour could either be brilliant or hideous, depending on how it is handled. I don't want to see bright purple troopers, but I will never see bright purple troopers is that is never an option.

The muted tones and restricted palette of this game may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it is the established art style of the game and I don't want to see it change. If dyes stick to the colours we already see around us, then I'm all for it.

The ideal option, I think, would be a better colour match system. One where the chest armour provided a palette of colours but which gave the player freedom to decide exactly how those colours where applied to the other items would be amazing.

Edited by Kahotep

For me it doesn't, I have a great sniper jacket, and for some reason it makes everything green, while there isn't a single green spot on the jacket itself:confused:

For this reason I would like to have primary color + secondary color configuration option. There may be 8 standart colors and rest of the colors can be sold in cartel market and put as special quest rewards and/or rare drops.

However I think they would not implement such option into game as no one would buy cartel adaptive armors and just change the colors of their current items.

I would very much support it, because i absolutely don't like the colors of most jedi stuff. So i do not feel comfortable wearing most outfits and am only wearing 'least worse'-compromises.

Not sure though how they actually wanna implement that on texture-based models, but such option

was already in the game and i didn't have the chance to see it in action.

Emmanuel lusinchi was talking about 'unify color to chest piece' to make it back into the game within a few months...

SWG was miles ahead of this with the option to craft your armor AND choosing the colors for it.

Edited by CharonInferar

However I think they would not implement such option into game as no one would buy cartel adaptive armors and just change the colors of their current items.

That's not true, the adaptive armors in the cartel market are armors and sets of certain classes that they've made available for all classes and armor types to wear.

Everyone in this thread should do some research. Here are some things for you to read.

Make sure you read question 14 in the interview from Dulfy, then look at the highlighted portion of the dev post

below.

http://dulfy.net/2012/11/16/swtor-f2p-future-content-interview-with-damion-schubert/

Phantom and Spymaster gear changes | 01.09.2013, 09:50 AM

Hey, guys --

We care a lot about the fact that you care about the appearances of your characters. In fact, the Mod system is my baby, largely because it allows players to customize their appearance to your liking. We have another, similar, one of my babies coming in the near future, which will allow even greater customization (you guys may have seen me hinted about it in recent interviews). Short form: this is real important to me, and we're not happy that we've created a situation that makes people unhappy. We didn't think through the ramifications of the bugfix that we've made, and we're acutely aware of the financial angle (cartel coins as well as in-game credits on the GTN) involved.

We are still discussing potential fixes to the issue -- and there will be fixes -- but there are ramifications to all fixes. Players should keep in mind that previously, we had players who were upset in the other direction. We have a couple of directions that we can go, but we need to explore a couple of things, and regardless, it is not a fix that can happen instantaneously. I do think we can get something in a patch very soon.

We are pretty sure we can avoid a solution that forces players to spend additional cartel coins, and I'm not interested in letting a situation linger that leaves the player's faith in what we are offering on the cartel market in a reduced state. It is incredibly important to me, and the rest of the SW:TOR team, that players have a high degree of confidence in the market as a whole, and how we deal with issues like this. This has been a learning experience for us, and won't happen again.

In short: we'll fix this. Give us a little time to do so.

Damion Schubert

Lead Designer, SWTOR

I'd support customizing costumes. City nof Heroes had the best costume creator. Ever.

If BW implemented something like that I'd be for it. Most likely, however, it will be more like guild wars, or involve the CM. I'm not sure if I'd want them putting that much effort and resources into it, then.

I'm 100% in favor of allowing us to recolor gear! I think that would be awesome. And FWIW, I heartily disagree with all those who think it's necessary to limit the color selection. If it breaks your immersion, then you're not really very immersed -- because 'in reality' (meaning in-character) folks could wear whatever color they want.

The only ones who are really in a military unit that would require uniformity are the Troopers. Drab colors may be the norm for Jedi, but they don't really enforce any specific dress code. Likewise, I doubt the Sith care -- heck, they're into passion -- probably would say go wild. Bounty Hunters? Totally up to personal choice. Same with Smugglers. There's no precedent, in the lore, for limiting what color a person can wear. (No, a 'tendency' is not an absolute limit.)