Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone confirm- are there M/M and F/F options on both Republic and Imperial sides, or F/F is only Republic and M/M only Imperial? My character is a M sentinel, I will be bummed if he gets no love :(

Last I recall, there was a male NPC you could flirt with regardless of your characters gender, but it's no more of a flirt than the flirt you can make on a female character to a male NPC when you first arrive on Curoscant.

Can anyone confirm- are there M/M and F/F options on both Republic and Imperial sides, or F/F is only Republic and M/M only Imperial? My character is a M sentinel, I will be bummed if he gets no love :(

Prepare, then, to be bummed. F/F Republic and M/M Empire is the extent of what they have given us.

And take heart...you could be a female Inquisitor. They get absolutely nothing, anywhere, companions or Makeb, of either gender.

Prepare, then, to be bummed. F/F Republic and M/M Empire is the extent of what they have given us.

And take heart...you could be a female Inquisitor. They get absolutely nothing, anywhere, companions or Makeb, of either gender.

...and this is the biggest issue I have with the whole SGRA/Makeb thing. I don't want to think this but I still can't get past the "This will shut them up" vibe I'm getting from the same-gender content. While I've yet to try out Makeb because I do not have a level 50 yet, what I've been reading on here has tempered my enthusiasm to level up my male Smuggler since it appears there's no SGRA-based content for him.

The fact that I've tried time and time again to start an Imperial character but couldn't get into it (thereby scuttling the opportunity to try the M/M content), and that it's never interested me to play an OG character to go through the F/F story is guilting me to feel it's entirely my fault that I'm finding the same-gender content lacking.

Yes, I am a gaymer and yes, I wish BioWare would have been more forthcoming about same-gender content prior to launch. However, sometimes I think I would have been happier if BioWare would have just said, "We have no intention of including same-gender romance content in Star Wars The Old Republic" and be done with it.

I don't mean to sound crochety here. I want to like this game. I really do. And I do have the desire to play it because I'm certain there is a good game in there somewhere. Hell, I totally bought into the hype and pre-ordered the collector's edition. But I keep feeling disappointed. Maybe I'm to blame but it just seems that to be a SWTOR player is to have my heart broken at regular intervals. Perhaps one of you might be able to tell me what I'm missing. I got nothing. :(

Edited by TarotMage

...and this is the biggest issue I have with the whole SGRA/Makeb thing. I don't want to think this but I still can't get past the "This will shut them up" vibe I'm getting from the same-gender content. While I've yet to try out Makeb because I do not have a level 50 yet, what I've been reading on here has tempered my enthusiasm to level up my male Smuggler since it appears there's no SGRA-based content for him.

If your only reason to level up to cap is for a couple of minutes of flirt scenes...

The fact that I've tried time and time again to start an Imperial character but couldn't get into it (thereby scuttling the opportunity to try the M/M content), and that it's never interested me to play an OG character to go through the F/F story is guilting me to feel it's entirely my fault that I'm finding the same-gender content lacking.

...then yes, it is entirely your fault.

Yes, I am a gaymer and yes, I wish BioWare would have been more forthcoming about same-gender content prior to launch. However, sometimes I think I would have been happier if BioWare would have just said, "We have no intention of including same-gender romance content in Star Wars The Old Republic" and be done with it.

All you had to do was log onto PTS. As to the bolded part, you may have just went on and on about it being unfair if BW did make such a comment.

I don't mean to sound crochety here. I want to like this game. I really do. And I do have the desire to play it because I'm certain there is a good game in there somewhere. Hell, I totally bought into the hype and pre-ordered the collector's edition. But I keep feeling disappointed. Maybe I'm to blame but it just seems that to be a SWTOR player is to have my heart broken at regular intervals. Perhaps one of you might be able to tell me what I'm missing. I got nothing. :(

What you're missing is, if all the game has for you is a couple flirt scenes to make it worth playing, then this game is likely not for you. If you've pre-ordered the CE and are still saying "I want to like this game..." and havent found yourself liking it yet, it's likely time to move on.

That all said, I do recall them saying there are M/M flirts Republic side (like a couple) and I believe one isn't even on Makeb and it's a one off flirt like all the other flirts in the game...

"Oh hey you're cute."

"Oh you too. Now onto business!"

Hello. First time poster on this thread. I'm sorry, but there's no way I'm reading 95 pages worth of comments, so here's hoping I'm not copying too many people about this. I'll admit I was a little disappointed in this one aspect of the game. (I love everything else about it so far, especially the planet storyline. Want more, want more now!) Asking them to add a lot more options seems like too much to ask for, especially considering everything else they could work on (new flashpoints, or warzones, or whatever floats your boat) but I feel okay asking for this much: if we could just get one F/F option Imp side, and one M/M option Pub side, I'd definitely feel better.

Hmm, then again, Makeb was a little sparse in that respect. I played a female Inquisitor through the whole Imp side, and all I ever found was one flirt option (with someone I didn't feel inclined to flirt with at all.) 70% of my brain knows that a game shouldn't ever focus on romance before story or gameplay, but the other 30% (which I call the shameless part) wants to see that connection. I loved romancing Vette, Mako, Vector, and Balkar so much, they were some of my fondest memories in this game. And truthfully I only intend tp play one of my 8 characters as gay in game (yep, my inquisitor. The rest are either straight and married, straight and single, and one undecided)

I know lots of people ask for this: companion options with SGR. I was so surprised to hear all the new lines Ashara and HK and Andronikos would say as I traveled across Makeb. Surprised and happy. In the months leading up to RotHC, I was terrified that Bio/EA wouldn't do anything with them in the nex xpac. A few lines may not be much, but at least there's always hope now. Right? Anyone? I don't know what the developers are saying on this so any help would be nice.

That's about all I have to say. So, what do you guys think? Spot any holes in my request/arguments?

Hello. First time poster on this thread. I'm sorry, but there's no way I'm reading 95 pages worth of comments, so here's hoping I'm not copying too many people about this. I'll admit I was a little disappointed in this one aspect of the game. (I love everything else about it so far, especially the planet storyline. Want more, want more now!) Asking them to add a lot more options seems like too much to ask for, especially considering everything else they could work on (new flashpoints, or warzones, or whatever floats your boat) but I feel okay asking for this much: if we could just get one F/F option Imp side, and one M/M option Pub side, I'd definitely feel better.

Hmm, then again, Makeb was a little sparse in that respect. I played a female Inquisitor through the whole Imp side, and all I ever found was one flirt option (with someone I didn't feel inclined to flirt with at all.) 70% of my brain knows that a game shouldn't ever focus on romance before story or gameplay, but the other 30% (which I call the shameless part) wants to see that connection. I loved romancing Vette, Mako, Vector, and Balkar so much, they were some of my fondest memories in this game. And truthfully I only intend tp play one of my 8 characters as gay in game (yep, my inquisitor. The rest are either straight and married, straight and single, and one undecided)

I know lots of people ask for this: companion options with SGR. I was so surprised to hear all the new lines Ashara and HK and Andronikos would say as I traveled across Makeb. Surprised and happy. In the months leading up to RotHC, I was terrified that Bio/EA wouldn't do anything with them in the nex xpac. A few lines may not be much, but at least there's always hope now. Right? Anyone? I don't know what the developers are saying on this so any help would be nice.

That's about all I have to say. So, what do you guys think? Spot any holes in my request/arguments?

This has been asked for since launch, but I would like more options with SGR, and full SGR, not [Flirt]s only, maybe add a past NPC with it so players can have a "real" LI for their characters, while still being able to work on SGR companions.

Once you Romance one of your Companions, you can't romance another. So if you're a Male Sith Warrior, and you want to have a "guy friend", then you have to turn down every advance with Vette and Jaesa, and wait for SGRA's to be admitted into the game with a new companion. Vice versa for females wanting some girl time. As it stands right now there is no date set for when they will be added.

BioWare has stated they Will be added as a Post-Launch feature. And we know it's already been more than a year. But, it's not so huge a thing that we need to get upset about not having it yet. We got Makeb now and plenty more things coming our way. They've had their cutbacks thanks to decisions out of their control and are doing their best to give us what we ask for. We ca only hope it'll be sometime this year.

What you're missing is, if all the game has for you is a couple flirt scenes to make it worth playing, then this game is likely not for you. If you've pre-ordered the CE and are still saying "I want to like this game..." and havent found yourself liking it yet, it's likely time to move on.

Let me try to explain why SGR is important, and I think it's something you might not have noticed because, well, why would you? Every time there is an OGR [flirt] option (and there are quite a few ... by which I mean a whole bucketload) it creates a sense of "normality" in the game world, "this is the way things are and the way the world works" which really doesn't do much to draw me into the game ... quite the reverse. Every time I see a [flirt] option I am reminded that the game considers that I am "odd" at best, it excludes me from the game world. The reason it excludes me is that there are no options while levelling for me to flirt with anyone of my own gender (I know the romance codes are in the game because female characters can flirt with male NPCs ... that's "normal") regardless of my feelings on the matter. It's not just about a couple of lines of dialogue and a fade to black, it's about feeling that I have a place in the social structure of the game ... at the moment, I don't.

SWTOR is the only MMO (that I've played) where this is an issue because it's the only MMO (that I've played) where a character's sexuality is ever actually addressed.

Only straight folks get to ride on this bus, the rest of us get to walk.

If your only reason to level up to cap is for a couple of minutes of flirt scenes...

...then yes, it is entirely your fault.

All you had to do was log onto PTS. As to the bolded part, you may have just went on and on about it being unfair if BW did make such a comment.

Gee whiz. What would people ever be without genii like you explaining to them what to like and how to like it.

I like the game and even though I'm pissed off about many things (bugs, bugs, bugs and no SGR content) I keep coming back to it, again and again.

But see, I'm not gay or lesbian myself, I just like to play with female characters and don't want to romance male npc's. If even I am severely disappointed by the lack of SGR content, I can't begin to guess how disappointing it must be for a member of the LGBT community to be put off by BW again and again.

Like someone else had already answered you, it is part of being normal to see the way you live portrayed in videogames and other media.

For a developer which is known for including said content, not pulling through with it on one game is not only disappointing but also highly questionable.

I take my starship and blow things up. So much better than the bus. But anyway, even being straight as I am, doesn't mean it wouldn't be interesting to see how SGRA's would develop in game and how they might affect other choices and interactions as well. I think it'd even be amusing to have a flirt option with Darth Lachris on Balmorra with a Female PC and watch her get a little confused and flustered by the approach and not know how to deal with it. Some may look at that reaction like "ew it's a gay!", but I see creeping out a Sith Lord to be rather humorous. Even if it was just to mess with them or tease them. Then be like "Oh I was kidding. I mean, who'd wanna sleep with a woman who has varicose veins on her face?" And then get shocked or choked for it.

Let me try to explain why SGR is important, and I think it's something you might not have noticed because, well, why would you? Every time there is an OGR [flirt] option (and there are quite a few ... by which I mean a whole bucketload) it creates a sense of "normality" in the game world, "this is the way things are and the way the world works" which really doesn't do much to draw me into the game ... quite the reverse. Every time I see a [flirt] option I am reminded that the game considers that I am "odd" at best, it excludes me from the game world. The reason it excludes me is that there are no options while levelling for me to flirt with anyone of my own gender (I know the romance codes are in the game because female characters can flirt with male NPCs ... that's "normal") regardless of my feelings on the matter. It's not just about a couple of lines of dialogue and a fade to black, it's about feeling that I have a place in the social structure of the game ... at the moment, I don't.

SWTOR is the only MMO (that I've played) where this is an issue because it's the only MMO (that I've played) where a character's sexuality is ever actually addressed.

Only straight folks get to ride on this bus, the rest of us get to walk.

No. I think you missed the point. You see the OPs "I don't have SGR options flirts, and the game has nothing else drawing me in" and see "No SGR flirts! I have to walk and not ride the bus!"

What do I see?

Everything! No seriously. If you don't enjoy the gameplay aspect of this game, if you don't enjoy the storylines, the flirt options will make up a total of 5 minutes and be done. Look at every other MMO WITHOUT romance options. You think a 5 second flirt scene (which most of them are...and no really...there's not that many flirt scenes) would have changed your mind on any of those MMOs?

And that's exactly what the poster had said. Nothing else in the game was drawing them in. Nothing. They're not enjoying the game play. If you don't enjoy the gameplay of a game, why pay the money to play it? And since the poster is ont he forums, they must be paying to play.

PvE or PvP. You're going to want to enjoy one of these aspects. Hell, I'd go so far as to say enjoying the RP community, so maybe you don't really need to level far (worked for CoH for quite a bit of players). But if a flirt scene is all you want to see, then yeah, might as well go to another game that you ENJOY playing.

Gee whiz. What would people ever be without genii like you explaining to them what to like and how to like it.

*gasp* You realize they asked a question, right? Do you need to go back and look at it? I can wait.

Now,m see my post to the other post. :p

Seriously, I get the wanting for SGR flirt options. I want the options. But unlike you, who says they enjoy the game play, that poster said they weren't. *eye roll*

Seriously...its like people don't read posts.

Thank you for researching me, and I agree I had some stupid nitpicky threads in the past. Reason I felt the need to comment here is to stop the mob mentality and make people think about what romances actually are in this game for a second, but obviously differing opinions to this aren't accepted without digging into my posts from years ago. Edited by Jemfisto

Thank you for researching me, and I agree I had some stupid nitpicky threads in the past. Reason I felt the need to comment here is to stop the mob mentality and make people think about what romances actually are in this game for a second, but obviously differing opinions to this aren't accepted without digging into my posts from years ago.

Nobody has researched you, anywhere -- SithK was referring to a post only a page or 2 back by Tarotmage.

Way to channel Carly Simon :rolleyes:

I take my starship and blow things up. So much better than the bus. But anyway, even being straight as I am, doesn't mean it wouldn't be interesting to see how SGRA's would develop in game and how they might affect other choices and interactions as well. I think it'd even be amusing to have a flirt option with Darth Lachris on Balmorra with a Female PC and watch her get a little confused and flustered by the approach and not know how to deal with it. Some may look at that reaction like "ew it's a gay!", but I see creeping out a Sith Lord to be rather humorous. Even if it was just to mess with them or tease them. Then be like "Oh I was kidding. I mean, who'd wanna sleep with a woman who has varicose veins on her face?" And then get shocked or choked for it.

This post brought a smile to my face. Well done, sir.

I, too, wondered what it would have been like to make a pass at Lachris with my female SI (having only seen the results of a man making a pass at her on Youtube). Your suggestion is even better (considering I have the Sith Corruption option turned off until I can get back down to Dark 1, it's a particularly amusing idea).

This has been asked for since launch, but I would like more options with SGR, and full SGR, not [Flirt]s only, maybe add a past NPC with it so players can have a "real" LI for their characters, while still being able to work on SGR companions.

I feel like I need to explain. The idea is to add an NPC to help kind of explain, and add more of an RP aspect to the character. Adding a historical NPC would allow you to design the character a bit, by flirting or not flirting. If you flirt, they could talk about a romantic history and ask if the two of you could rekindle that fire you two had, while no flirt is a basic "remember when we ran together while doing this and got in so much trouble for it?" kind of thing.

What do you all think?

I feel like I need to explain. The idea is to add an NPC to help kind of explain, and add more of an RP aspect to the character. Adding a historical NPC would allow you to design the character a bit, by flirting or not flirting. If you flirt, they could talk about a romantic history and ask if the two of you could rekindle that fire you two had, while no flirt is a basic "remember when we ran together while doing this and got in so much trouble for it?" kind of thing.

What do you all think?

While I find that I, personally, don't care one way or another... inevitably you will have people upset that it is SG/that there isn't such an option for OG. And vice versa were it to work the other way. The solution to this being, of course, two npcs for this purpose (one male, on female), but that seems a lot of extra time, money and effort to try and "please everyone". Not to mention at this stage in the game it would likely need to be isolated from existing companion relationships unless they add more for us and our companions dialogue/possibly mission-wise.

Just my 2c.