SWTOR trooper and clone trooper issue.

Kaedusz

Not sure if this question has being asked already but here goes.

Why Republic Trooper armor looks like the clone armor from the movies ,more than *three thousand years* later.This is insane.i know technology doesn't change and evolve much in Star Wars,this is purely looks and design speaking.

Specially the T-shaped visor helmets,i mean they are 95 % identical to the clone trooper helmet which was based on mandalorian design because Jango Fett is a mandalorian.

There were so much posibilities.I mean look how republic soldiers look like in kotor 1 and 2,and also in Revan and Malak's army.Just look at them.Why did they had to copy-paste the clone trooper armor design.

This is a major immersion breaker for me and i can never start playing the trooper class because of this.

Can somebody here come up with a somewhat good lore/story explanation for me so i can put my mind to rest and finally start a trooper?

Edited by Kaedusz

There are a couple possible explanations for this.

The first is that they want to make the Clone/Stormtrooper style of armor canonically associated with the Old Republic's military forces. The change in style could easily be explained by the 300 years that pass between the events of the Jedi Civil War and the Great Galactic War.

So, if we take this to be the beginnings of this armor's usage in the Republic, then it would even make sense for the Clones to be armored in this style when they are produced for the Republic. As for it being based on Mandalorian armor, you could look at the Neo-Crusaders armor (which was very good) and see that as the inspiration for the Republic's new armor designs. It would make sense to adopt the aspects of their enemies' armor that were superior, and they just didn't get the chance to do so until after the Jedi Civil War. Things were pretty crazy after the Mandalorian Wars for a while, but 300 years of relative peace is plenty of time to retro-fit your forces.

Its just franchise aesthetics being consistent. You can head-canon any in-universe explanation you want but the simple truth is that it wasn't thought that much through. They wanted a "clone/storm trooper" class for people to play as, the same way the wanted a han/lando class that ended up dressing identical right down to the silly cape, got the same kind of ship, and even got a wookie companion. These things aren't just coincidences or intentional plot devices, Its a combination of lack of creativity and holding ones self back from even trying to be creative cause playing it safe with the familiar tropes of the franchise will make more people satisfied and thus make more money. Its no different then when clone wars recycles old characters that have long past their prime just to try to appeal to fans of that character. They wanted to appeal to fans of clone troopers and let you play as one, despite it being 4000 years in the past. Didn't matter, you get to play as one anyways. And people gobble it up, myself included, cause we just can't help it. Its fun, even if its utterly unsurprising. (Though thankfully there are some parts of the game that are pretty fresh for the franchise. I'm lookin at you, Imperial Agent)

Of course, perhaps somewhat ironically, many people playing force users want nothing more then to be able to look like jedi or sith in the movies, as in simple layered robes without all the wacky armored parts or cartoony color patterns that saturate the old republics fashion scene.

I thought about this, and the explanation I have is this. It's a bit convoluted if you haven't read many of the books, but here goes.

At some point after the Republic defeats the Sith Empire, the Republic completely demilitarizes (this is true). Flash forward a few thousand years, and the Republic is "tricked" into a war with the Trade Federation, and they use the Clone Troopers as an emergency army.

It sort of makes sense that they modeled it after their last standing army.

My personal theory is that the Republic borrowed designs from the Mandalorians during the Mandalorian Wars. We know the Republic captured and studied Mandalorian armour designs during the war. This was stated in one of the Kotor comic issues.

But why take the enemy's armour design? Simple. Mandalorians wore armour that was far superior to Republic armour during the wars. That's one of the reasons they were so formidable. So instead of designing completely "Republic armour" for their soldiers, they could borrow enemy technology and use it against them. Perhaps an early version of the "Clone Trooper style" armours were present in the later days of the Mandalorian Wars after Revan took over the military. He used Mandalore's own tactics against him, after all. Not a far reach to use Mandalore's own technology against him.

Then, centuries later, the armour proves to be very effective, and the Republic mass produces it for their troops. Millennia later, the Kaminoans look to both Jango Fett and the early Republic soldiers for inspiration in outfitting the new Clone Army. Again, why design armour from the ground up if history has proven a design to be very effective?

That's how I see it and how I justify it. Doesn't break the immersion for me, but I admit I did worry about it when we first got a glimpse of the Trooper class 4 years ago.

Cars still have the same basic designs as they did in the early days in the real world, 100 years later. Computers haven't changed all that much since the 70's either. Just some real life examples to accompany this (very educational) rant of mine. :p

Well if you don't want to look like a clone trooper. There are some early on armors you can just buff the hell out of.

There is the Talon armor for the Trooper specifically, then there is the commando armor which is blue which you can get early on from doing the first +2 heroic on courscant.

Then there's the essles trooper armor. And boom, you can quickly grind out 5 sets of trooper armor.

Then just find some leggings and other tech to match them out and boom, don't look like a clone trooper.

I'll have to put up some pictures, kinda did that with my commando and her team.

Kaminoans picked up Old Republic armor from a cheap surplus store. The Republic was probably overstocked with armor, and sold for cheap when the army disbanded.

If you have a couple million kids to feed, you don't take them to the Olive Garden, you fill a bathtub full of mac n cheese and hope for the best.