Ideas for potential future classes

Jarcoby

Witches of Dathomir :)

No more needs to be said... sort of like a sorcerer class but a bit more mage like... spirit type attacks that perhaps leech life force and transfer it to the caster. Also could be more similar to the Illusionist archetype with some some powerful AoE cc, you know... controlling the life force of groups of enemies.

And it would give a cool new weapon, as the witches use a lightwhip instead of a lightsaber.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Witches of Dathomir

The Witches of Dathomir were founded in 600 BBY. TOR takes place 3 millenia before that (~3600 BBY). Including them would be completely out of the timeline for them.

This has been a continual issue when people ask for certain EU groups to be included in game: TOR takes place a *long* time before the events of SWG or the SW movies and shows. Unless an organization is incredibly old, it's not likely to have been founded before the game's timeline.

I think a Rakata class would be best because according to story there have been both light and dark side Rakata(TOR 1). The problems here though is that it would need a fresh implementation (sound files, starter planet, etc). However, the solution could be that it be implemented through a game add-on like WoWs Cata or MoP. Including new space missions, ops, fps, and daily area similar to Section X but offering an entire new class with it that can be associated with either faction. Personally I think this would be the best and only way to implement a new class, plus being Rakata would be ******.

The Witches of Dathomir were founded in 600 BBY. TOR takes place 3 millenia before that (~3600 BBY). Including them would be completely out of the timeline for them.

This has been a continual issue when people ask for certain EU groups to be included in game: TOR takes place a *long* time before the events of SWG or the SW movies and shows. Unless an organization is incredibly old, it's not likely to have been founded before the game's timeline.

There's a practical reason not to include them as well. We wouldn't have to listen to players demanding gigantic Rancor mounts for their Dathomiri. :p:p

doesn't mean there cant be a similar group to them that would in time become the basis of what they are in the future

They were founded by a banished Jedi, so it's doubtful that any previous organization that bears any resemblance to the "modern" group could be used.

If you want some kind of naturalist, non-Jedi/Sith force class, it would be better to just try and go for the abstract Force Adept that exists outside of an explicit organization or is part of a unique, new planetary organization (such as the Mystics of the Voss are unique to TOR and follow a path exclusive of either galactic Force order). The problem, of course, is how would you meld this class in with the existing infrastructures and politics of the Sith and the Jedi, since both organizations generally feel compelled to dominate and subsume any Force users that are willing to ally with their relevant faction. You could create a reasonable story based around preserving your own ways in the face of the oppression of the Jedi/Sith or joining the them as a noble savage shaman with a unique outside perspective and unique abilities, but it would probably lose a lot of its flavor in following the Republic/Imperial story lines that already exist.

oh well, how bout some sort of archeologists type class/story, this char could be pulled in by ether faction as an expert on retrieving force relics from tombs/temples ect, may not have any force ability but perhaps a special resistance to the force instead, part of what allows him to get past force traps in the tombs/temples, possibly use a cross of melee and ranged, tech blade in one hand gun in the other,

oh well, how bout some sort of archeologists type class/story, this char could be pulled in by ether faction as an expert on retrieving force relics from tombs/temples ect, may not have any force ability but perhaps a special resistance to the force instead, part of what allows him to get past force traps in the tombs/temples,

The problem with the treasure hunter type character is that it isn't really a vastly different archetype than the smuggler or agent; it's simply an alternate story for those existing classes.

When looking for new classes that could potentially be added, the most important thing to look for is specific combinations of specific archetypes with specific combat styles. If the mechanical function of a new class isn't appreciably different than an existing class (such as many of the Noble class ideas I hear about) or represents a minor tweak to an existing archetype to justify a new story (same case with the Noble, but also present in your treasure hunter), it's most likely not going to become a new class because it's already too similar to something that's around already. It's much the same reason why you're not likely to see a Republic SIS agent, Republic Bounty Hunter, Imperial Smuggler, or Imperial Trooper: they're the same class with the only difference existing in a new story and potential minor thematic tweaks, which won't draw enough players to really justify the effort of writing the new story (that much effort means you'll want to cast a wide net to maximize the audience and justify the development expense).

The only major non-racial archetypes for the SW universe that aren't really accessible in game now are the unarmed combatant and the primitive Force user (I count Droid as a racial archetype, along with the various ideas for Wookiee/Trandoshan Warriors). Most other major class concepts discussed can be explained as interpretations of the existing classes.

possibly use a cross of melee and ranged, tech blade in one hand gun in the other,

Something a lot of people don't realize is that what weapon you're using doesn't really affect what kind of attacks you end up using. You could have a melee weapon and end up using all ranged attacks because the relevant attributes that make it a ranged attack rather than a melee attack are baked into the attack itself, not the weapon. Weapon loadout simply requires that it make sense for the relevant class, which is why VGs use a Blaster Rifle rather than a Techblade even though they're really a melee class and why Smugglers use a Shotgun while Agents use a Vibroknife for the exact same purpose.

You don't *have* to have a character with both a melee weapon and a ranged weapon in order to achieve some degree of hybrid melee/ranged nature. All it does is impact the thematic and aesthetic considerations. The difference between MH and OH is largely predicated upon what your basic attack is performed with so a class with a blaster pistol and a vibroblade in the offhand would have a ranged basic whereas a class with a vibroblade in their main hand and a blaster pistol in the offhand would have a melee basic attack.

oh well, how bout some sort of archeologists type class/story, this char could be pulled in by ether faction as an expert on retrieving force relics from tombs/temples ect, may not have any force ability but perhaps a special resistance to the force instead, part of what allows him to get past force traps in the tombs/temples, possibly use a cross of melee and ranged, tech blade in one hand gun in the other,

You might be able to acheive this by one advanced class carrying a pistol in offhand and a vibrosword in other. Other advanced class would have a scattergun and a genorator. this could also be known as a pirate or noble.

Since the first star wars MMO, there has been nothing more I wanted in a Star Wars RPG game than to be part of the Emperor's Guard / Crimson Guard, or for the clone wars-era: Senate Guard. Transcribe them into SWTOR-era and I would be in mmorpg heaven.

In SWTOR it would be a force-pike wielding, force-sensitive melee warrior, and hopefully a bad *** story about rising up in the prestigious-but-sometimes-treacherous ranks of the Guard.

Edited by Sanctioned

A Jawa mechanic, summons droids to fight for him, could be a nutrual starter where at the end of the start planet he smuggles himself onto ether an imp or rep ship (players choice) to escape his home planet in search of adventure

I like this idea, its kinda like a DAoC Bone Dancer and as everyone wants to be a Jawa its just a cool idea :o

If course your looking in to alot of balance issues, and what sort of droids you'd have access to, for instance, would it follow the DAoC set that you have X points to spend on X max droids, so you choose what droids fits your style best. Or would the spec line decide what type of Droids you must use (Tank/Healer/DPS (melee or ranged).

It would play very differently than any exsisting class making it an instant intrest for many.

As with all new classes to all games though, your looking at an issue of major balance problems, no matter how much you test, its never perfect.

Oh and Id say that Jawa should be added as a playable race anyway, and the class would be seperate, allowing it to be accessable by other races anyway which would add intrest to rolling alts for those of us who just want a Jawa:rak_09:

I like this idea, its kinda like a DAoC Bone Dancer and as everyone wants to be a Jawa its just a cool idea :o

If course your looking in to alot of balance issues, and what sort of droids you'd have access to, for instance, would it follow the DAoC set that you have X points to spend on X max droids, so you choose what droids fits your style best. Or would the spec line decide what type of Droids you must use (Tank/Healer/DPS (melee or ranged).

It would play very differently than any exsisting class making it an instant intrest for many.

As with all new classes to all games though, your looking at an issue of major balance problems, no matter how much you test, its never perfect.

Oh and Id say that Jawa should be added as a playable race anyway, and the class would be seperate, allowing it to be accessable by other races anyway which would add intrest to rolling alts for those of us who just want a Jawa:rak_09:

I could see the jawa turning out to be the swtor version of goblins

I want to see a class similar to Tanno Vik, mainhand is a vibrosword, offhand a shield generator. I believe I heard the idea of this somewhere and the person said that the class could be like a Republic Honor Guard, and the Imp mirror would be Imperial Royal Guard or something similar to it. I rather liked the idea :p

Your ideas are all terribly boring. Adding another variant of Jedi or some kind of different flavored trooper would be stupid. The only way this would be worth it is if they added something that has no been seen in the game yet.

The two things this new class would have to have are:

A) A playstyle that hasn't been touched on yet. A pet class, a class that uses structures, a stance dancer, something of that nature.

B) A Story that is fresh and new. The most obvious way to do this would to have this class be only for non-human aliens. Playing from the perspective of a wookie/transdoshan/rodian would be interesting.

A) A playstyle that hasn't been touched on yet. A pet class, a class that uses structures, a stance dancer, something of that nature.

It's not necessary for a class to so vehemently operate outside of the existing playstyles in order to be a different enough playstyle to be "different". Alternate resources or resource combinations are just as effective at creating alternate playstyles as gross mechanical choices such as those you elected to choose. Just look at the Death Knight from WoW: it's not really an appreciably different class from the standpoint of its abilities compared to other melee classes (specifically the Warrior and Paladin). The only thing that makes it appreciably different is its resource mechanic, which provides it with a drastically different playstyle than what the other classes manage.

In fact, a tweaked resource is more important to creating an appreciably different playstyle than the options you chose to outline: unless you force micromanagement of a pet, there isn't much difference between a pet class and any other class (you're just outsourcing some portion of the DPS to something not under the direct control of the player); structure based classes (I'm thinking you're implying something like the Engineer in TF2) either have the same problems as pet classes or they aren't appreciably different than DoT based classes (the structures either shoot something for a set period of time or they act just like a pet does in the previous example); stance dancing classes are strange insofar as you have to create some arbitrary mechanism to force stance dancing, which tends to not be particularly popular and requires a bit of finagling to make effective (keep in mind that troopers, shadows, and knights all have stances and can "dance" them, but none of them find the strategy to be effective) if you operate within the traditional bounds of what is considered a "stance".

I find it much more likely that the developers would simply find a more complex resource mechanism or pairing of interacting resources (much like how Death Knights have runes and runic power or Demon Hunters from Diablo 3 have Discipline and Hatred) rather than arbitrary choosing a mechanic that only really presents the appearance of a different playstyle without really accomplishing it. Keep in mind that it's not necessarily going to preclude the inclusion of one of those mechanics: you could easily include a pet/engineer class that uses 2 separate resources as I've described that uses 1 resource for "traditional" attacks and a second resource that is used for combined pet/owner attacks, with some degree of interaction between the two (such as the "primary" resource regenerating on a static basis and your "pet command" resource generating whenever you use a non-pet attack). The primary factor in the difference of playstyle is that there are 2 resources involved; the pet simply exists to provide a medium for said resource pairing to be invoked (it could just as easily be any other combination of effects that accomplishes the same overall effect).

B) A Story that is fresh and new. The most obvious way to do this would to have this class be only for non-human aliens. Playing from the perspective of a wookie/transdoshan/rodian would be interesting.

The developers have already stated that they don't plan on making wookiees or trandoshans playable races, though I doubt that it's set in stone (or even whether that same rule would apply to "racial classes" if they're ever implemented rather than races for the existing classes), and I tend to believe that they're not likely to create racial classes before they create additional "normal" classes, if only because the racial options are a reasonably popular mechanism for character creation.

Personally, I would love to see the addition of a Wookiee class and Trandoshan class (each side gets 1), but I just don't think it's likely to occur before they explore other options, especially considering your reasoning (new story). Any decent writer should be able to write a story for any of those archetypes without too much difficulty. The arbitrary claim that the "easy" solution is to choose a racial class seems a bit overreaching since it wouldn't be too hard for a writer to come up with a story for a class, regardless of what choice is made concerning it.

Just a thought to your already long debate… how about a Marin/Pirate class that can hold a blade like a techblade or a vibroblade in one hand and a blaster in another… and a advanced class that can make use of the electrostaff that is not stealth. Also usually they put two classes on one planet so why not either develop this class with another set or start them off on a ship… like let’s say you are a pirate that is invading a republic ship… or a civilian ship to plunder there riches or whatever.

You might be able to acheive this by one advanced class carrying a pistol in offhand and a vibrosword in other. Other advanced class would have a scattergun and a genorator. this could also be known as a pirate or noble.

XD sorry just noticed your post

In all honesty I would like to see specifically a medic class like SWG had, the class made specifically for a healer, and if not wanting a healer a different tree could be dps with DoT for the other I am not exactly sure. Either way it was one of the well enjoyed and heavily played classes when I played SWG and I would indeed welcome something similar. Which I am also sure it would not effect timeline in any case for in all timelines i believe there had to be medics out there.

In all honesty I would like to see specifically a medic class like SWG had, the class made specifically for a healer, and if not wanting a healer a different tree could be dps with DoT for the other I am not exactly sure. Either way it was one of the well enjoyed and heavily played classes when I played SWG and I would indeed welcome something similar. Which I am also sure it would not effect timeline in any case for in all timelines i believe there had to be medics out there.

That would be so boring. Besides, we already have three ACs per faction that can heal if they spec for it, now you want to make a pure healer class? That new class would be a walking bullseye in all WZs and would practically require nothing but dps and tank companions. All the class quests for it would have to be written and coded with them being a pure healer in mind, nevermind the planet quests expect some decent dps output from the healer classes already.

To you it might be boring but as for them being targets I did also mention them having the two other tree's to work with. I am typically speaking from SWG experience where i leveled as a healer just fine because they gave you basic attacks and some special ones to keep you going as well as for survival. As for needing a tank most classes get a tank companion or a healing companion to help them. Yes inquisitors bounty hunters and agents can heal including their mirrored classes on republic side. It is what made the medic so different in the star wars game, depending on certain classes for their roles in a whole to do what they were made for. It was a spectacular class at best as well as having it's own individuality.

What I'd like to see is a melee healer. Doing damage would open up AoE heals. Some kind of beacon of hope for the Republic, but an inspiration of vengeful zeal on the Sith side. Unfortunately, it sounds like another force wielding class, some kind of Battle Meditation class. It may even work better as a fourth tree for one of the existing classes.

I like the idea of the Pirate/Noble class. Seems like it could actually fit with the Leia archetype at least for Republic. Though you could argue the smuggler/operative class is close enough, at least in playstyle...

Personally, I would love to see a playable droid class. ACs would be protocol droid and assassin droid...

I know some classes have anti-droid powers, but if you really need to you could just give the droid classes an inherent passive skill that brings them in line with other classes...