When to Solo Black Talon

Phoenixbowman

I am a level 15 Sith Warrior (Rage) with Vette. I had issues with the halfway boss but beat him, Then got beaten by that Jedi twillek.*

I would love to come back and solo Black Talon at level 16 or 17 but I am concerned it will be Grayed out. How many levels can a player be above the Quest level before it grays out?

I was doing Black Talon at 15 because I figured when I hit 16 it would be grayed out. Because Black Talon shows as being level 10.

* Force Call or Heroic Force whatever is useless. The one with the 20 min cooldown. I used it but it did nothing to help.

At level 16 it will turn gray, but that doesn't mean you can't still run it. It's a great mission for building Companion affection and social points and there are a lot of kool modable armors and weapons that drop only from that Flashpoint. I've done solo runs through Black Talon as late as level 19. After that I mainly only do it for Social points which means gathering a group.

:cool:

Not really meant to be soloed by people looking for exp. You can reenter the instance at any level, the diminishing returns on the exp just get worse and worse. I believe you still earn exp at 16 though if you want to give it another go.

Some things to check if you really want to try to solo this. Do you have an earpiece and headgear yet? These slots open up around your level. Make sure none of your gear pieces are too under level. Both tips apply to your companion as well. You can likely find cheap medpacks, stims, and maybe adrenals that might give you the extra push to clear it.

As an aside, heroic moment can close the difficulty gap when you're close to defeating something. It's not going to help you clear something It also gets better if you have other characters at level 50 in order unlock special abilities only usable when heroic moment is active.

Quests turn gray once you are 7 levels or more higher than them as I recall. However, that generally only affects the XP you get. Most flashpoints are soloable once you are 10 levels higher than the FP - at that point the damage done to you drops significantly. If you are a healer with a companion however, you generally can begin to solo sooner than that (but not by much).

BJ

Black Talon / Esseles Solo are a rite of passage for all my characters once they get to about 16-20th level. . I love both for the social, but solo and you don't have to share the gear with anyone!

My guild loves to run flashpoints on level, or below level or even above. Any win is a victory, and the co-operative experience is a blast!

-Forget the XP, go for it and enjoy!

Edited by Storm-Cutter

At level 16 it will turn gray, but that doesn't mean you can't still run it. It's a great mission for building Companion affection and social points and there are a lot of kool modable armors and weapons that drop only from that Flashpoint. I've done solo runs through Black Talon as late as level 19. After that I mainly only do it for Social points which means gathering a group.

Especially from the bonus boss for a Jugg or PT you can get your orange Shield and Generator. Worth their weight in gold.

If you are a ranged character it is easily soloable at 14, not sure about melee though.

Depends on how up on your gear you are. My PT tank with 2 +41 END crystals and a guild mate Sniper at 11 were doing it without companions.

I was soloing BT at level 11.... but it is a lot easier if you have all the buffs and high presence for your companion.

My take was that this is OP's first character, but I may be wrong. It's much much harder to solo content when your character doesn't get sent crafted gear, credits to buy gear off the gtn, or have legacy perks.

Done level 10 as a Sniper using gear from Hutta. Sent the companions out on crafting missinos while doing it too. All you need is a ranged class that can put a Damage over Time (DoT) on the bosses and kite around the pillars. Hardest boss is the melee guy with the plasma probes; he requires creative pathing as the entire room wll probably be full of probes by the time he's finally killed. Edited by Belecfaron

Done level 10 as a Sniper using gear from Hutta. Sent the companions out on crafting missinos while doing it too. All you need is a ranged class that can put a Damage over Time (DoT) on the bosses and kite around the pillars. Hardest boss is the melee guy with the plasma probes; he requires creative pathing as the entire room wll probably be full of probes by the time he's finally killed.

Now that must have took some patience.

Thank you all for your kind help. Reading everyone's responses here have been helpful and at times, humorous (running it naked at level 50... ahahahahaaa.)

Today hasn't been the best day* and I really needed that humor so thank you. As to the advice about levels and ranged vs melee, I'm melee so I will wait until 16-17 to solo this as my Rage Sith Warrior. I like EXP but I am also doing it for the story as well. I'm used to WOW where their instances really didn't have a story; heck none of the quests really had a story. Frak it...WOW didn't have much of a story at all.

The instances have story; each class has a story. I know it ends eventually but it is still wonderful to experience the stories now. The stories for the Class, the instances, and even some of the stories for the side-quests. Even though they will end it's great to enjoy them now :)

Thank you all again. :)

* Just found out I may not meet a certain requirements(s) for something despite having worked my you-know-what off to meet said requirements. I'd rather not go into detail. I put this * to let you all know that getting beaten by that Jedi in Black Talon is NOT the reason why I'm having a bad day.

Edited by Phoenixbowman

You should be soloing BT at level 10 easily. By 10 you should have social points already and be able to buy the first set of social gear if you don't already have any other moddable gear. Then just have all blue mods in there and you're good.

Gear isn't so much a factor here so much as if you're range or melee, have a DoT and a huge amount of time to waste/want a challenge.

Most of the bosses in there are ranged or have mechanis that rely upon Line of Sight. Even the Smurf Jedi's wierd Force Pull/Cyclone of Doom and her Force Leap require Line of Sight to work. So long as you're able to break similar mechanics, abuse the AI, deal at least some damage at range and won't fall asleep during all this it's possible to do.

EDIT: new thought came to me- should be possible to take some of the bosses in there down solo regardless of if they hit the Enrage timers in HM. I don't recall any special mechanics that differ from normal on the HM version.

Edited by Belecfaron

You should be soloing BT at level 10 easily. By 10 you should have social points already and be able to buy the first set of social gear if you don't already have any other moddable gear. Then just have all blue mods in there and you're good.

Pretty sure the OP is a new player and doesn't have a sugar daddy 50 to twink his character out too.

Pretty sure the OP is a new player and doesn't have a sugar daddy 50 to twink his character out too.

I do not have a level 50 "sugar daddy". I did great at level 15 (had issues that Admiral Akbar type mini-boss) and got beaten by the end boss Jedi. Other than that I had no issues.

Update: I reached level 16 and the Black Talon quest is still Green. It looks like quests turn Gray when the character is 7 or more levels higher than the quest.