How can anyone take the empire seriously?

Lium

Bioware decided however to go a incorrect route and make it seem as both sides fought to a stalemate, its pretty clear by their own lore this was no where near the case.

This is actually incorrect, and ties in directly with the Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight storyline. The Sith Emperor declared a "peace" between them after the sacking of Corusant and a cease-fire. The Sith Empire was working in his own interest as he didn't want the Empire to finish the war yet, because he needed more time to be able to devour the essence of the galaxy itself and preserve his immortality, and he needed the powers of the Empire and Republic to stalemate. The Republic survived because the Sith Emperor allowed it.

Edited by Darth_Precursor

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a few exceptions, the Sith Empire itself comes off as (imo) terrible. When you have an organization led by people who think "Ho ho ho kill them all" it just isn't going to last.

And then the storylines have my characters come out all powerful. My SI would go back and kill some of the idiot Sith she met along the way, because they not only go about making slaves, they keep repeating the same line "Aliens are scum"

I just see the empire failing, and failing miserably even before it got to RotJ on that alone. Of course, this could be why the Sith get down to 1 Master/1 Apprentice in the end.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who might be interested, i started a topic on The Sith Order and the Jedi Order a couple of days back; notice its not exactly about the Empire and the Republic.... but still i have the feeling that many of those who has participated on this debate will enjoy my thread.... cheers and happy new year:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=579484

Edited by YeIIow

Wait. You mean, no one thought it strange and wonder how no Jedi or Sith has seemed to go "Hmmm...maybe there's a place in the middle for us. With no need to be totally cut off or so extreme all the time?"

Okay, from what I recall of the Revan storyline (on Kaas) it is that, but it's like one in MILLIONS!

And for a group that George Lucas has stated isn't a celebate order, I wonder how they get DS points for going with a relationship.

First of all, its a game. :p

And its much more realistic, when Empire have every kind of people. You cant expect that theyre all on hundred percent evil and sadistic lol also not all are highly experienced with best capabilities.

Problem is, that only Emperor could ever made real order. Now when he's temporarily gone, there are many problems making by Sith without control of their Supreme Master.

And for a group that George Lucas has stated isn't a celebate order, I wonder how they get DS points for going with a relationship.

The Jedi go through peaks and valleys of allowing relationships and not. Conversations between the (male) JK and Kira elaborate on this. At times when the Jedi numbers are low, the leaders ease up on the reins and allow relationships and marriage to increase their numbers. But during the time of SWTOR, the Jedi are numerous and therefore the Jedi Code is more strictly adhered to. Further, even in the strict adherence times, relationships are not forbidden but they are discouraged and when they do happen the participants have the Jedi Council watching their every step.

Getting back on topic, to me the Star Wars Empire is no different than any other fictional organization bent on world/galactic domination. In the overwhelming majority of cases, the participants are caricatures of reality. The problem is that we as players get to play the "hero of the villains," as it were. And so when we are surrounded by paranoids, bi-polars, sociopaths, and psychopaths it is difficult to take them seriously.

Edited by psandak

My main is a 50 sentinel and has been since I've been playing SWTOR. Recently, however, I've started playing a marauder so I can experience the other side of the story. And as I'm leveling up and doing all the quests, I keep thinking, "How can anyone take the empire seriously?"

I know this is Star Wars and other than Anakin and Revan most evil in the universe is pretty cartoonish. But just from a strategic standpoint, most of the thinking of the imperial officers, Sith Lords and Grand Moffs are beyond silly. I've heard a lot that part of the reason the empire has more players is because the stories are better.

Really? When?

Because even though I'm having fun playing my marauder, the writing is really after school cartoon quality. Maybe it's because I'm playing a Sith and not an agent or a bounty hunter. I hear that the IA story is one of the best in the game. While the Force users have really hokey stories.

I can believe that. Because as I said before, I'm left wondering how anyone can take the empire seriously at all.

Any specific examples? Or just aimless trolling?

I have finished 6/8 of the class stories.

I would rank them thusly:

IA > SW > Smuggler > SI > JK > JC.

Empire stories are just better. You say afternoon cartoon? JK is the very definition of cliche afternoon cartoon. JC tried to go the more mature route but fell flat on keeping it interesting. IA is good enough to be its own full feature film. SW is amazing if you actually RP it (by that I mean making choices based on the situation and not full dark or full light). If you just mash the dark button it's cheesy.

Although I tend to agree that the overarching empire bits leave a lot to be desired.

I agree. IA story blows all others out of the water. I tried playing republic story lines but in comparison to the storylines of the Empire I have played all the way through IA, SW, SI. They just seemed, well.....boring.

From previous comments, I believe the Empire chose DK as their home world because of the strong dark side energy that resides there. It's not an ideal planet for a city that's a given, but there is a lot of power there.

If you go through a descent amount of story comment for the Empire, what a serious threat they are and smart they have to fight, considering they are greatly outnumbered in regards to military. There was one cut scene I particularly enjoyed

In the SI storyline. To gain a power base and sway Moffs to your side, you are sent on a mission to revive the Silencer project. When the weapon is activated from an Imperial Dreadnaught (I think it is) it wipes out an entire Republic fleet.

its an mmo and my pubs n imps have prolly killed over a million sentient beings already personally how any npc consdiers by characters good is beyond me. that aside i do agree some of the DS are over the top. but the idea that this backstabbing society is hopelessly dsyfucntional from the start is kind of silly imo (of course).

i mean western/ roman history anybody? they basically gained western civilizatons definitive empire while having 2 variations on ruling power classes. senators then imperials... that spent their lives back stabbing each other undermining rivals and ruthlessly climbing to the top.

military commanders decimating their own units for failures was common.

and to be honest you can pretty much chalk up their expansion and peak to their own over the top ruthlesness and talent/focus on violence. as well as cartoonishly obvious evil diplomatic maneuvering to buy time just to come back n kill and mass enslave a more dangerous rival later.

throw in force super powers where one guy can solo conquer a planet or 2. and i find empire even with some of their terrible resource wasting behaviors to be completely viable. is it an eternal empire? no, but thinking it could have a pax sithana for a few centuries or millenia is utterly believeable to me.

the story so far has been believable so far for both sides for me anyway. except for the fact theyre all still chasing immortality on sith side, how could basic genetic research not have turned off the aging switch by now, for god sakes you can turn into a rakghoul in a few hours...who needs a planet galaxy killing ritual..

I hate the force user stories, they all seemed very small minded and petty, like if sith were in Mean Girls. I find it absolutely boring and simple that these sith are wrapped up attacking other individuals. I was hoping for a sith that wants to really help the empire and make a difference for the empire, instead I found petty high school girls sabotaging each other.

*snip*

military commanders decimating their own units for failures was common.

*snip*

It's funny you should use that word, because the word itself originates in the Roman practice of killing a tenth of your troops to punish them for cowardice or failure.

Anyway, since they're the token bad guys obviously the Sith come across as comically cruel idiots. Lucas said he modeled the Empire after Nazi Germany. What people fail to take into account however is that pre-war Germany was not a bad place to live in if you were just a regular German and did not belong to one of the persecuted groups. This is why the Empire comes across as comically evil, because they treat everyone like crap, including their apparently so beloved Humans. Maybe this is being done so the bad guy always loses in the end... but the real Empire could not have worked for so long on a basis of random cruelty and violence. You have to give people a purpose, something they all unite for. And "if you don't get killed, you can maybe get a bit of power" doesn't cut it.

There are so many times where you just cannot believe how little sense a set of choices made. Where the Light side option is the only way out because the Dark choice is just too illogical or plain stupid.

And I found the SI story line to be insanely boring to be honest.

Throughout the game, you were basically someone's attack dog. There was no political scheming, no "Palpatine-esque" plotting, nothing. You just put a lightsaber (or lightning) into people someone else told you to kill, until you run out of people that order you around and then the story is over and you're a Darth.

The inspiration for the Inquisitor is not Palapatine, it's Darth Maul. The idiot Sith who get ordered around to kill stuff and whose only thought of rising to power is just to kill whatever seems higher in the food chain without a second thought. I was seriously disappointed.

I am currently wrapping up my Sith Warrior, and this is more like the Inquisitor should have been. And it even makes sense to play a Light sided (or at least neutral) SW. I play my Warrior as what he is - a noble who not only seeks to increase power, but to work for the Empire and his underlings. Most of the people I have killed were actually the Empire's own, the corrupt and the overly cruel. However, the Warrior always feels like in charge, even if you are just being sent around by Baras. I have rarely had that feeling on the Inquisitor.

Maybe the writing itself is not much better, but the point of view is entirely different. The Warrior starts out as a noble and keeps his head up high throughout the game. The Inquisitor basically stays a slave until the very end of the story.

The point of the SI is not ''schemes'' its a quest for power.Mainly in the force and a little bit otherwise.Go to imperial agent if you want ''schemes''.

SI is about going after artifacts of great power,then going up in the ladder until you get to the Dark Council.

That spirit siphoning thing and going after the artifacts Zash send you to find is exactly what i expected and liked about the SI.

Can't belive people still complain about and use the palpatine ''there was not any backstabing and schemes in the SI story'' argument.

Edited by Kaedusz

• 2 weeks later...

I have a SI at the beginning of Chapter 3, and an Agent at the beginning of Chapter 1.

I can't take the Empire / the Sith seriously. All the Sith Lords I met in these storylines are complete morons. Idiots who needs serious medical care. I can't imagine how the Empire can running - as I see they have no chance againts the Jedi / Republic.

But just from a strategic standpoint, most of the thinking of the imperial officers, Sith Lords and Grand Moffs are beyond silly.

As an Empire player, I can agree to some extent. It should be noted, however that many imperials (npc) in the game do realize and acknowledge that the empire does need a more "sane leadership".

In fact, if you are a playing light sided sith, achiving auch a leadership is basically the goal of the game.

When is comes to the sith / jedi codes, however, ill take the sith code (which revoles about freedom) any day over the jedi nonsense (emotions are bad!).

1) Loved the SI storyline myself. Though I only see my SI taking the position at the end, as a way to kill off the others and make changes to the system from within. Of course, that would only end up in failure, as we've seen the outcome of the Star Wars universe already :p

2) Yes the Empire is dumb. The Republic isn't much better. But after showing numerous times that my BH won't/doesn't serve the Empire, and even after throwing away years and years and YEARS of hard work and gift giving to the Voss with a little sentence, they still hire her and want her to work for them, even though she's been willing to ruin every major Empire plot that she can. :p

My main is a 50 sentinel and has been since I've been playing SWTOR. Recently, however, I've started playing a marauder so I can experience the other side of the story. And as I'm leveling up and doing all the quests, I keep thinking, "How can anyone take the empire seriously?"

I know this is Star Wars and other than Anakin and Revan most evil in the universe is pretty cartoonish. But just from a strategic standpoint, most of the thinking of the imperial officers, Sith Lords and Grand Moffs are beyond silly. I've heard a lot that part of the reason the empire has more players is because the stories are better.

Really? When?

Because even though I'm having fun playing my marauder, the writing is really after school cartoon quality. Maybe it's because I'm playing a Sith and not an agent or a bounty hunter. I hear that the IA story is one of the best in the game. While the Force users have really hokey stories.

I can believe that. Because as I said before, I'm left wondering how anyone can take the empire seriously at all.

This is valid for republic too and for other games too. Computer games are becoming stupid and more childish narrationionaly.

Im missing games like :

Vampire the masqurade

Metal Gear Solid

Baldurs Gate

Fallout2

Longest Journey

Monkey Island

REdneck Rampage ( not great stroy but great humor )

mdk 2

This is valid for republic too and for other games too. Computer games are becoming stupid and more childish narrationionaly.

Im missing games like :

Vampire the masqurade

Metal Gear Solid

Baldurs Gate

Fallout2

Longest Journey

Monkey Island

REdneck Rampage ( not great stroy but great humor )

mdk 2

I really wish you would have put Redneck Rampage as the first item on your list so I would have come to the conclusion to ignore you earlier.

Empire...lol.

All they have is a crappy small city on a jungle planet, which would blow up if they don't keep a 24/7 watch on their lightning spires. Plus they can't go anywhere since major portions of their own planet are now controlled by rebelling slaves, a rogue Sith lord, an invading mercenary army and a bunch of angry Mandalorians.

I wonder how they can ever get something done, when they can't even control their homeworld ?!

Actually, the Empire more reflects reality than the Republic does. The Empire is a standard State in the sense that "War is the health of the State". For the Empire to survive and flourish, it is imperative that it has an outside, foreign threat. Otherwise, what you see in the Empire is what is in game now - infighting, sabotage, loss of direction, competing interests, and so forth.

The Empire needs the war to galvanize the military, provide the Mandolorians with the Jedi and Spec Ops opponents they demand, and give the Sith more chances to attain greater power, Otherwise the military stagnates, the Mandolorians kill each other, and the Sith scquire more power by taking it from each other. This is exactly how the real world works without the whitewashing we give it to make us feel civilized.

When is comes to the sith / jedi codes, however, ill take the sith code (which revoles about freedom) any day over the jedi nonsense (emotions are bad!).

If a bunch of people were walking around with the power to shoot lightning out of their fingertips and crush windpipes at will, encouraging those people to keep their emotions in check and think things through calmly _might_ be in the best interest of _everyone_, force users included.

And I found the SI story line to be insanely boring to be honest.

I just finished the SI story as a Twi'Lek Assassin a couple weeks ago.

I enjoyed the story immensely. From the outset, the character is engaged in a brutal struggle for simple survival. The inquisitor has to claw her way up from a cess pit to the top of the Sith Order or face a hideous and painful death. She struggles at every turn merely to be taken seriously and faces not just death, but naked contempt, at every turn. There is a constant sense of pressure to move forward or perish horribly.

Its like a plot dreamed up by a half-deranged Neitschzean playright who typed out "WHAT DOES NOT KILL ME MAKES ME STRONGER" for a title, added a half dozen exclamation points, and just went on from there. Kind of the opposite of "boring".

/shrug

I know some people complain that the SI story does not have enough "plotting", but I'm not even sure what that means in the context of a video game. I guess some people wanted to spend a lot of time as a Mr. Burns type dressed up in red&black robes, cackling and going "exxxxxxcellent..." after weaving an intricate web of embarrasing rumors about their rivals on the Holonet from their penthouse apartment's desktop PC. But I'm not sure how to present that within this medium.