Serious ability delay, hitching, screen hanging in new FP

DimmuJanKaarl

I've never had this issue before, but ive seen several people comment in gen chat and at least one other person I've run with indicate that they are experiencing the same problems. It seems to happen when more than one action or animation is triggered at the same time, and usually when entering combat. For example, the game seems to "hang" if I force leap while rocket boots are activated, which necessitates calling my companion back; i.e., if my companion isn't called because they weren't out prior to rocket boost, I don't see this issue upon entering combat. Also, while in combat if I activate multiple abilities that ignore gcd and are instant cast, e.g., pacify, riposte, and overload saber; after which nothing happens and all abilities stop triggering, then after 1 - 2 seconds there is an explosion of activity as the client seems to "catch up", triggering all animations at once.

I know it sounds like lag, but I have yet to see my server lag higher than 45ms, and regardless I never have lag issues in this game, even in places like makeb or oricon where I see regular complaints about lag. Also, my friend that I have run several kdy fp's with indicate the same issues. Additionally, I don't think it's lag because I am getting 60+ fps the entire time. Usually lag is characterized by low fps as I understand.

Is anyone else seeing the same or similar issues? Given that I and others are only seeing these issues in the KDY fp, if say it's a bug of some kind. /bug submitted but looking to see if it's just me, my friend, and those I've seen comment about it in fleet chat.

I had almost exactly the same experience. I've talked to a few friends who have all seen the same thing. I also noticed the same ability delay (lag spike) in a couple of Twitch streams that I checked out this afternoon. I very occasionally have this in other FPs or OPs during prime-time, but usually just once and then it's over. KDY seems to have this problem on just about every pull. I noticed it to be extremely bad on the Master Khoris fight where he chains the blue circles on the floor and follows with a smash knockback type attack. It also seemed to happen more with the Elite and Champion droids than with regular level mobs. This lines up with your thought that it has to do with ability animation, since these encounters have mobs that use more abilities than weak or normal mobs.

This typically always happens whenever a major patch and major content is added to the game. I assume it's due to the spike in player population.

Well, it also tends to happen with new content adds like FPs. I would think they could play test these internally a bit better for lag inducing effects. Then again.. it could be some interaction dependency with a live server population too.. so maybe it's not easy to stress test these realistically. We've seen this sort of thing before.. and they eventually get to the bottom of it and fix it for the most part.

Not to be one of "those", but the two times I've done this FP, it was smooth. I was playing in the early afternoon, so populations weren't as high as prime-time, that may have had something to do with it.

I'm on Harbinger btw.

Edited by Synadil

Yeah, this is what happens when more than 10 people play the same FP lol

As usual, we have to wait until people get bored with the new FP, and all the problems will go away.

I'm not so sure on this one, been playing since release and never had any server lag like this ever before.

But, we'll see in a few days when the shine wears off.

Soloed it today and noticed the same thing.

I think what's going on here is a delay at combat start where the AI is trying to figure out what to throw at you in terms of enemies. Instead of fetching your char level (or highest char level of the group) at the beginning of the flashpoint and using that for all encounters, it seems to me there are a bunch of calculations going on before each encounter. Maybe it has to be this way for whatever reasons, but unless it's optimized to the point of getting rid of that delay, it kind of sucks.

I think the programmers are also aware of it, and they masked it with the rakghoul event by having the spawns "run in" where you couldn't target them until the run in animation was complete.

*shrug*

I must have been through it atleast 20 times, probably more like 30, and I've had a lot of issues, issues that correlated with what the rest of the group was experiencing too. Sometimes I've had 30 seconds "abiltity gaps" where I havent been able to use a single ability. It's really annoying when you've just aggroed a mob and no one in the group is able to fight back. It has also made me wipe on some of the bosses.The rakghoul event had similar issues to it's safe to assume that it has to do with bolster. Edited by MidichIorian

Also having the lag issue with KDY as well. Sometimes i also get this spike when doing missions on a low lvl toon.

From what others on my server have said, its only spiky because everyone is doing it. I however believe its an in game issue not just based on population. I can go play another MMORPG and not have this issue

I am on Shadowlands and have the same issue only in this FP. A few Guildies and I ran it as well and all 3 of us got the same "ability lag". I ran another different FP and everything was fine, then came back and did KD again...and "ability lag" returned. I have reported this in the Bugs section as well.

Actually, this ruined the boss fight for a pre-55 KD I ran on and alt because it kept happening during the boss fight.