Thunder blast

warstory

You would fill the resolve of enemies even if you don't want to.

you would knock targets out of range of melee allies (smash).

combinding major damge abilities with ccs is always a double edged sword.

(just imagine huttball and a clueless sorc useing thundering blast on the ballcarrier tank , making him unpullable and and ccable before he even passed the first fire)

Edited by Quantemoq

I think they should add a knockback component to this skill, it would be similar to sniper knockback on snipe shot.

What do you guys think?

As another poster mentioned that would have unintended consequences towards the resolve bar; however, since it is a ‘major’ blast, knocking down people should be the result with a 3 second stun causing them to be disoriented. If it fills the resolve bar, so be it. I, on the other hand, want to see Thundering Blast as an instant cast that will do splash damage. It is an exploding blast; therefore, it should strike any enemy within the area of effect (8 to 10 meters), maybe up to a maximum of 5. However, unlike the lolsmash, those taking damage in the area would only take 50% non-critical damage. The target alone should receive the full brunt of the attack since they will have affliction on them at the time of the attack. Thundering Blast's damage should easily reach the 5 to 6k damage.

(just imagine huttball and a clueless sorc useing thundering blast on the ballcarrier tank , making him unpullable and and ccable before he even passed the first fire)

major dmg ability? i thought we were talking about thundering blast

you know that ability that is a 31 pt talent, with a 2s base activation time, thats single target, on a cooldown, that only does on average 3500 dmg....

joke ability is a joke

Or hits for upwards of a maximum of 4k-ish. Thundering blast is indeed a joke that only fits within the lightning rotation and the need to proc the 50% force cost saver talent. Hopefully BW will give this ability a base damage increase in the future, because even min/maxed with the Reverberating Force talent, it still hits like a wet noodle. Edited by Rigaux

Or hits for upwards of a maximum of 4k-ish. Thundering blast is indeed a joke that only fits within the lightning rotation and the need to proc the 50% force cost saver talent. Hopefully BW will give this ability a base damage increase in the future, because even min/maxed with the Reverberating Force talent, it still hits like a wet noodle.

do you remember your first time casting thundering blast?

i remember mine..

oh the aniticpation.. the auto crit, the big hitting long cast ability figure head of the lightning tree..

i picked my target.. got my affliction on him and started my cast.. this is it i proclaimed! here comes the boom!

activation completed, the spell was off and it lands.. for...3k... uhh whut?

even at 960 bonus dmg, 1920 willpower, 1260 expertise and 76% surge.. i barely ever see this spell reach 4k

bioware seriously needs their heads checked on this one

Yeah I have to agree there is nothing "thundering" about this attack. It generally hits for sub 4k damage and is only above lightning strike in the pve rotation priority. It is plain sad and yet what is even more sad is that it is still one of our hardest hitting moves.

Personally I would perfer a knockdown talent tied to it if polarity shift is up, and a knockback if used within 10 meters like ambush

Honestly with how hard it is to get off casts in pvp polarity shift should be a baseline lvl 50 spell for the sorcerer class and lightning spec would just get a reduced cooldown on it.

Yeah I have to agree there is nothing "thundering" about this attack. It generally hits for sub 4k damage and is only above lightning strike in the pve rotation priority. It is plain sad and yet what is even more sad is that it is still one of our hardest hitting moves.

Personally I would perfer a knockdown talent tied to it if polarity shift is up, and a knockback if used within 10 meters like ambush

Honestly with how hard it is to get off casts in pvp polarity shift should be a baseline lvl 50 spell for the sorcerer class and lightning spec would just get a reduced cooldown on it.

yea polarity shift, alacrity % buff and uninterpretable casts for 10 seconds, 2 minute cooldown

snipers entrench, IMMUNE TO EVERYTHING (aside dmg) for 20 seconds, 45second cooldown spec;d

I think at the very least it would allow us to get off another cast if ppl threw back as far as force push throws ppl.

Was thinking about what if force storm acted like orbital strike and you could just drop it.

Edited by warstory

I think at the very least it would allow us to get off another cast if ppl threw back as far as force push throws ppl.

Was thinking about what if force storm acted like orbital strike and you could just drop it.

I've often suggested that for 31 point lightning spec. If we got something like a cooldown or proc that would give us an instant cast no channel force lightning, it would help with our abilities to kite in a group situation and would give full lightning spec a way to get lightning storm proc under pressure.

thundering blast needs to be removed

it should be replaced with "empowered chain lightning"

this talent will increase the base dmg of CL by 25% and CL will stun each target it hits for 1 second and applies a debuff making the target vulnerable to lightning strike (increase dmg and/or crit %) for 20 seconds

this will call for a change in backlash

backlash should now only affect the sorc himself, instead of a stun, after the bubble is consumed by dmg the sorc's incoming dmg is reduced by 33% for 5s and 33% of dmg taken is reflected back to the attacker for 5s

that fixes the lightning tree offensively and defensively imo

Edited by wwkingms

thundering blast needs to be removed

it should be replaced with "empowered chain lightning"

this talent will increase the base dmg of CL by 25% and CL will stun each target it hits for 1 second and applies a debuff making the target vulnerable to lightning strike (increase dmg and/or crit %) for 20 seconds

this will call for a change in backlash

backlash should now only affect the sorc himself, instead of a stun, after the bubble is consumed by dmg the sorc's incoming dmg is reduced by 33% for 5s and 33% of dmg taken is reflected back to the attacker for 5s

that fixes the lightning tree offensively and defensively imo

As much as I would like 7.5 to 8k chain lightnings I will have to say this is a bit broken

As much as I would like 7.5 to 8k chain lightnings I will have to say this is a bit broken

u mean if you add the second strike for 30%

lemme think.. currently CL tops out around 3.4k as hybrid.. 3.8k as hybrid with the 10% aoe buff

full lightning CL with the 50% crit boost is critting about what? 4.5k max? + 1300 of a second strike would be 5800

idk man but if smash can hit multiple targets for 7k we should at least get a single target ability then capable of such.

maybe instead just bring thunderblast to crit upwards of 6.5k, slow/root the target and apply the debuff for lightning strike

to me, if we're standing still and hard casting abilities there should be a payoff

Edited by wwkingms

I run full lightning so my chain lightning depending on exact spec hits for 3.6 to 5k with the highest ever being a 5.8k crit (very uncommon). The real variation with chain lightning comes in the fact that it is mitigated by armor and specs that take less AOE. If the chain lightning had some sort of armor piecing effect they it could be a lot more consistent without hitting light/medium armor targets too hard.

The other option would be to lessen the overall 50% critical damage bonus to chain lightning but signifcan't upping the base damage. As is chain lightning is only worth it if you crit which is unfortunate since there is nothing in the spec to help it crit.

Edited by AdmiralParmesan

Operative don't have it either. Then again, they are another class with PvE issues, altough their large opening burst fic that for them in PvP.

Its safe to say at any rate that sorc have a massive issue with armor.

Pugged a KP last night with my marauder. When on the ops dummy, he parses 1400 dps. My sorc has way better gear, and does 1550.

However, on Bonecrusher, sorc dps drops to 1200. Marauder (annihilation) keeps 1300.

So yes I think we have an issue there.

As far as revamping trees go, its always much easier to tweak what you already have than create a new ability.

For thundering blast, I'd say either make it 1,5 sec cast or change the auto crit for a 30% damage increase on target affected by your affliction.

Additionnaly, I'd say to make force lightning and lightning strike elemental.

Keep sorc damage slightly under kinetic/energy hard hitters, but make it the ranged class that has the most unmitigated damage and you have, imo, a good start to a fix.

Considering PT does it with higher number and heavy armor mid-range, I don't think its OP to suggest so.

Doesn't this apply to snipers already? :S

Then again.. there are like x10 more Sorcs than Sniper on ToFN

As a Lighting Sorc since beta I would like to see something done. I can keep up in the ops group for DPS, normally because I have been playing longer my gear is almost completely min/maxed. But TB was a total let down as a hit. it's a 100% Crit chance with affection up on target, but it hits 3.5k to lower 4k max. I never have to worry about pulling agro, I don't hit that hard. I do see the reasoning why we wear light armor, have long cast times, set-ups and the weakest hits. TB is a single target hit, yet it hits lighter than most AOE's. And let's not even talk about lighting storm as a AOE, Channeled and such a light hit in it's own right.

Seems like sorcs were created purely for low level PvE, with a few of their abilitys stunning weak/standard mobs that's about their only good attribute.

Light armour

Squishy as hell

Poor DPS

Boring abilitys

1 Defensive ability. lol.

I don't get why a class like marauder gets self healing, tons of defensive cooldowns AND one of the highest DPS. Not to mention they also get abilitys like predation to give group buffs. Oh, and gap closers.

Seems like sorcs were created purely for low level PvE, with a few of their abilitys stunning weak/standard mobs that's about their only good attribute.

Light armour

Squishy as hell

Poor DPS

Boring abilitys

1 Defensive ability. lol.

I don't get why a class like marauder gets self healing, tons of defensive cooldowns AND one of the highest DPS. Not to mention they also get abilitys like predation to give group buffs. Oh, and gap closers.

well even though there is not question that lighting sorc <marauder. i would not throw all marauder abilities from each tree together in the comparison.

1: 90% of all dangerous pvp marauders are rage. (so no self healing )

2: as rage spec, marauders suffer greatly from active predation (because during predation they cannot get any berserk stacks . aka their rage and shockwave supply is reduces significantly)

Edited by Quantemoq

As a Lighting Sorc since beta I would like to see something done. I can keep up in the ops group for DPS, normally because I have been playing longer my gear is almost completely min/maxed. But TB was a total let down as a hit. it's a 100% Crit chance with affection up on target, but it hits 3.5k to lower 4k max. I never have to worry about pulling agro, I don't hit that hard. I do see the reasoning why we wear light armor, have long cast times, set-ups and the weakest hits. TB is a single target hit, yet it hits lighter than most AOE's. And let's not even talk about lighting storm as a AOE, Channeled and such a light hit in it's own right.

I came at launch I didnt play sorc till 6 months in so my question is didnt anyone say anything in beta about the lightning spec ? cause after playing it for a good while I cant see how the class made it out of beta in this state, let alone more than a year later.

Edited by warstory