What If Raids Dropped No Gear?

SlyJeff

What if only mods were dropped in raids (and only the best PvE mods) to enable raid progression?

The same could be done with PvP mods for PvP effort, and the best looking orange gear could be purchased with commendations (no mods). Through this system, those that want to grind end game stats (raid or PvP) could, while those who don't want to can still earn the best looking gear in the game.

Seems to me that would allow people to play as casually or hard core as they want, or somewhere in the middle.

Edited by SlyJeff

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be easier if the set bonuses for armor carried over orange gear through the armoring mod rather than be determined by the outfit itself. This way you get the best of both worlds:

a) You still need to loot the set pieces through the normal methods.

b) You can move the set bonuses to orange gear to maintain the look you prefer if you so wish.

Can you tell I despise the entire raid mechanic in MMOs and wish it would die screaming in a fire? :D

For myself, it isn't that I despise raiding. To those who inherently enjoy it, I say "good for you." It is the exclusive access to unequaled rewards that I can't stand (and those who demand it).

There are many different forms of "skill" one can demonstrate.

Question:

What if raids dropped no gear at all.

Answer:

All the raiders who say they do it for the challenge would be exposed for the liars they are.

Well that's not what I was going for- obviously there has to be some reward to keep people going. That's true of any part of this- if there's no reward for maxing crafting, people won't- if there's nothing to gain from questing, people won't. What if there were no levels and the whole game was just a bunch of quests with no rewards? People wouldn't do them.

But my point is that the mod system could allow BW to keep the stat carrot around (that is really only useful for raiders trying to unlock more hard hitting PvE content) while still letting everyone have access to the best looking gear and earn it in a variety of different ways (and it would still take effort, because the best looking gear could require a metric ton of commendations).

I think the token system works overall for all, sure it needs to be tweaked as well as difficulty for several end game contents. Hardmode and end game Flahspoints should be build around challenging of 4 man groups, take less time and provide less commendations. This is for those whom dont have the same amount of time available to them to raid. where it would take so many runs through such places and equal so many hours.

Where Operations would be build around challenging an 8 man group, take more time but provide more commendations. So those who have more hours (though equivalent in time spent with the flashpoints) But because they put more time into these in a week they would there for acquire this gear at a faster pace.

This style system would there for allow all whom have put in the time (though over greater time for some than others.) in challenging content.

For myself, it isn't that I despise raiding. To those who inherently enjoy it, I say "good for you." It is the exclusive access to unequaled rewards that I can't stand (and those who demand it).

There are many different forms of "skill" one can demonstrate.

Well, that's what I was trying to address. I guess, though, it depends on what you think of as a reward. To me stats are just tools used to do more hard hitting content, where a new "look" is the reward.

In a well balanced MMO, I would expect not to get through all the nightmare ops, but at least be able to clear the normal ops and work on hard modes- this should keep me busy while devs work on new content. It would not bother me in the slightest that more hard core folks had better stats than me, but I'd love the chance at some great looking gear- the same chance that a guy who never steps in a op would have.

Since devs have demonstrated they bow to that demand for the foreseeable future, I've been almost completely away from the genre.....but that's enough on that subject, I don't want to derail the OPs thread any further with the perpetual pro/anti raid fight.

While my spine agrees with the "no reward" suggestion in this thread (that's right, I am no raider), I think that would be unthinkable in this game. In another game perhaps.

But the mods suggestion is a good one. I support it. For my part they could make them BoE, but I guess that would never happen.

Oh, and why can't raiders be rewarded in other ways than exclusive gear? Suggestions on the top of my head? Titles, access to areas, schematics to orange gear, completion of an operation could grant access to other operations, non-exclusive gear, a scoreboard over the most successful ops team on the server (all while not giving them exclusive gear). I think the gear grind is a bit old, and there shoud/could be new ways to think this over... But then again, I am no raider, so...

While my spine agrees with the "no reward" suggestion in this thread (that's right, I am no raider), I think that would be unthinkable in this game. In another game perhaps.

But the mods suggestion is a good one. I support it. For my part they could make them BoE, but I guess that would never happen.

Oh, and why can't raiders be rewarded in other ways than exclusive gear? Suggestions on the top of my head? Titles, access to areas, schematics to orange gear, completion of an operation could grant access to other operations, non-exclusive gear, a scoreboard over the most successful ops team on the server (all while not giving them exclusive gear). I think the gear grind is a bit old, and there shoud/could be new ways to think this over... But then again, I am no raider, so...

You don't have to be a raider to have an opinion on matters that impact the entire game, which stat mods (and how to access them) most certainly does.

You don't have to be a raider to have an opinion on matters that impact the entire game, which stat mods (and how to access them) most certainly does.

While I agree with you, I might just as well be upfront with it.

I think some innovation to the gear grind (both PvP and PvE) would be good. And the suggestion here is a good one, and a definitive step in the right direction.

I dont think It needs actual class gear barter tokens taken, it should drops a couple tokens that can be bartered in FOR ANY class piece ; e.g

First Boss of EV - Drops a Gloves Token, that any class can barter for any Class's Columi Gloves.

Atm Totally Random Class loot is bad, I've won the Columi Legs 3 times now, Its just annoying and unfair to my friends.

I do think dropping Mods COULD work, but When I get End game gear I like to visually show People, What I earned.

I do think dropping Mods COULD work, but When I get End game gear I like to visually show People, What I earned.

I have figured that there is a want for showing what you have earned. And I can to some extent understand that desire. However, couldn't this be achieved by being rewarded titles? Or schematics for orange gear? (one time use, bop but usable by another crafter, if you don't have the skill, and the equipment crafted would be bound to however the scematic was bound to)? Just thinking of alternatives here.

I dont think It needs actual class gear barter tokens taken, it should drops a couple tokens that can be bartered in FOR ANY class piece ; e.g

First Boss of EV - Drops a Gloves Token, that any class can barter for any Class's Columi Gloves.

Atm Totally Random Class loot is bad, I've won the Columi Legs 3 times now, Its just annoying and unfair to my friends.

I think the general complaint is that raiding is only one way to earn rewards. Stat upgrades are essential to raid progression, and my belief is that allowing these stats to be earned outside of raids hurts the raid progression cycle because then the gear gets acquired too fast, or people star skipping ahead- all which makes the content get burned through quickly. And really, the stats aren't needed for other end game endeavors. The same goes with PvP stats, which are tweaked differently.

That being said, there are lots of ways people play the game and are successful who will visually want to show off their success- to me raiding is really the only thing that I care enough to work at, but I know PvP, leveling alts (measured through legacy xp), and crafting are other things people spend time on once they hit the max level. If people are going to work through the game in a non-raiding way, they'll want to get rewarded too, and who's to say which is a better way to play the game more worthy of a reward? Really, we ought not to hold our own way of playing above others- and when someone sees the vid of the BA gunslinger space cowboy, they are going to want to be able to have a fun path through the game that will lead to that cool look.

Edited by SlyJeff

I would absolutely love this idea, IF they do it right! What they should do is implement the crafting system of SWG where the best gear was all player crafted. Top of the line gear would be socketed, and then raid bosses would drop the very best in mods for those sockets. And some gear that wouldn't be crafted could also drop, like bracers and a few others, so that there would still be a purpose to raiding.

It would be pure win...sandbox crafting plus themepark raiding...why didn't they think of this? At least it can still be done in the future, do it Bioware!