Gathering only?

Koorah

I read that you can take three gathering/mission skills rather than take a crafting one.

Did any beta players do this and would you recommend it for someone who isn't a crafting fiend?

I did a lot of gathering in LotRO, selling it all at the AH, and was never really short of cash. Would kinda prefer to do that in SWTOR and feed all the crafters, but is it a viable route to take?

I read that you can take three gathering/mission skills rather than take a crafting one.

Did any beta players do this and would you recommend it for someone who isn't a crafting fiend?

I did a lot of gathering in LotRO, selling it all at the AH, and was never really short of cash. Would kinda prefer to do that in SWTOR and feed all the crafters, but is it a viable route to take?

Absoluetly true. You do not have to take a Crafting Skill. You're just limited to only being able to take one per character.

So get out there and start supporting us crafters!

Edited by DarthGM

I did this with one toon in beta and kinda liked it. I figured that with all the money I would pile up, I could buy whatever I needed. Plus, I didn't have to go looking for materials needed to craft (like I would have on an other toon I made with a crafting skill if I had really cared (if it had not been beta)).

At the very least, later toons could have crafting skills, and then your first guy could keep them supplied. Also, this decision isn't set in stone, you can always drop a gathering skill later and pick up a crafting skill. The only down side would be not having a matching gathering skill to level at the same time.

Good luck!

Silly question, but is there a place to sell them? Like an auction house or something, or do you need to spam the channels to sell until you get a clientele?

It's called the Galactic Trade Network. As of Beta, it was only on the Capitol World (Coruscant/Dormund Kass), but it may have kiosks in other locations now.

It's called the Galactic Trade Network. As of Beta, it was only on the Capitol World (Coruscant/Dormund Kass), but it may have kiosks in other locations now.

Thats not really true. GTN kiosks were in other places too (at least on Alderaan that I can remember).

...Did any beta players do this and would you recommend it for someone who isn't a crafting fiend?

I did, and I found taking Scavenging (used for Armormech, Armstech, and Cybertech), Archaeology (Used for Synthweaving and Artifice) are the best 2 gathering skills to take since they are always in demand.

For your final skill you can take Slicing (Chance to find modifiable schematics which will sell for a ton, extra gold upfront, mats for rare Cybertech items) or Underworld Trading (Chance to find modifiable schematics which will sell for a ton, UWT Metals used in Armormech, and Cybertech, and UWT Fabrics used in Synthweaving).

Edited by Kryptorchid

You'll just miss many of the bop items the crafting skills provide. All of them have something great that is unique to only the crafter. But yes, I suppose you will be a far richer man by the time you reach level 50 than those who used their money and resources to craft stuff. Definitely go with slicing then.

In Thanksgiving Weekend Beta, they had GTN stations on the fleet space stations too.

I'm actually relying on people like you :)

I plan to take Slicing, Cybertech and Investigation. Looking to get some free cool items and extra mission content and schematics while saving up some cash to help fund my cybertech.

So I plan to be buying materials off of auction (provided of course that I can make enough money to do that).

I really don't care what it's called. 95% of the stuff in this game is analogous to WoW.

Seriously, I will continue to call it an Auction House. I will call Operations "Raids" and may even continue to call Flashpoints "Five Mans", though I may learn "four mans".

Silly name changes to make it seem different, but the lingo is already mmo culture.

ps...Avatars are still toons too.

Edited by Icebaron